pop1

Please Change The Set List U2 Shows Are Very Boring

Before I saw the Chicago shows, I bitched about songs included and excluded. I whined about acoustic vs electric. I even bitched about Sirius radio. It was not about radio or money., as it was a special U2 show. It took a while before I understood that.  I like U2 not playing Streets this tour.  I understand why many do not. (seems a good song to use as an example)  There's a point in Streets, when I see them live, which gets me higher than I've ever been. There is nothing like it until I saw Pride this tour.  It's the song I least wanted yet most enjoyed.. I see how others could and will. miss Streets. I agree that is too bad they can't do one show one night and another the next. It would be awesome if they could do shows for Zootopia.   I would pick the show as it is for every show this tour but I still want the B-sides too.  We all seem to agree no matter what they do, there's something else.  It's nice we can come in here voicing our differing opinions without fearing exclusion or reprisal or condemnation.. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Before I saw the Chicago shows, I bitched about songs included and excluded. I whined about acoustic vs electric. I even bitched about Sirius radio. It was not about radio or money., as it was a special U2 show. It took a while before I understood that.  I like U2 not playing Streets this tour.  I understand why many do not. (seems a good song to use as an example)  There's a point in Streets, when I see them live, which gets me higher than I've ever been. There is nothing like it until I saw Pride this tour.  It's the song I least wanted yet most enjoyed.. I see how others could and will. miss Streets. I agree that is too bad they can't do one show one night and another the next. It would be awesome if they could do shows for Zootopia.   I would pick the show as it is for every show this tour but I still want the B-sides too.  We all seem to agree no matter what they do, there's something else.  It's nice we can come in here voicing our differing opinions without fearing exclusion or reprisal or condemnation.. 

Amen.

3 hours ago, Daviesweeten said:

What's that Max? Sorry for the ignorance.

I asked Mick James, a zootopian who knows a lot about this... basically (and quoting him):

As it’s used in that example [Love Is All We Have Left], it’s a vocoder - where the vocal is modulated by a synthesiser “carrier” (the note that it modulates the vocal to)

Now Auto-tune is in fact a vocoder, however it’s doesn’t modulate the voice to the “carrier/synthesiser” but rather is designed simply to force the note to where you want it while still keeping at “natural” sound.

Some great examples you’d know are Kraftwerk “Neon Lights” or “Man-Machine”, Daft Punk “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger” and “Robot Rock”.

(..) A vocoder is a specific effect: you pass the signal through a multi-band filter, each band to an envelope follower, and then the output from the envelope follower is used to perform filter control and additional synthesis. ... Where as "autotune" is really more a process and it may employ a vocoder to that end.

in the case of the song in question, the effect is used as... well, as an effect rather than as a way to help/"enhance" the voice, this being the main autotune purpose...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

a detail that may make the whole difference: it's not autotuned - it's a vocoder...

Believe it or not, I did know that. I was quoting what was used earlier.

I should have brought up my example of Cher instead. ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Daviesweeten said:

Thanks, buddy. Makes sense. I must admit I'm not too impressed with the opening tbh. I think Bono coming onstage at the Innocence tour was class! 'People Have the Power' over the PA.....Opposite end from the band....straight into 'oh, ohohoh'. That was special. I know this works in with the whole 'experience' thing. I'll love it when I'm there.

That was very good too.

But this opening works too - just in a different way.

You will love it when you are there. ?

For me it was one sound effect of an introductory song which opens a larger body of work.  Once I put myself into that mindset, it all clicked.  It is a gentle reflective beginning to a U2 concert. It threw me off at first. The visual of the show's beginning made me look at Bono, listen and think. I'm used to jumping and screaming. It seemed odd. I felt like I was at Mass when the priest asks me to take a moment to quiet myself and open my heart. (not pushing faith or religion-it's how I felt.)  I saw it two nights in a row.  I don't remember where Larry and Edge and Adam were during There Is A Light. I was watching Bono. It was all about his voice and words. I think the band is demanding my attentiveness before they'll give me the bombastic punch I badly need with The Blackout. They are refocusing me after TJT30 tour.. Not using the vocoder would distract me.  I'd be wondering why they didn't alter his voice. 

• Like 1

I really think the 'American section' of the show (Staring At the Sun - Pride - Get Out of Your Own Way - American Soul) ought to be ditched in Europe...

Perfectly appropriate for the band to have those songs/visuals in the US this year, but it would be good for the European shows to reference what is going on here... The migrant (refugee) crisis and the EU/Brexit situation.

Summer of Love, Red Flag Day and Zooropa should all be played for political reference/relevance.

Zooropa could be played in the sort of slot Streets has occupied on most of the tours since Zoo TV.

They both have the long Intro's so I see a comparison.

Have to say, simply as songs, I was absolutely stunned Summer of Love, Red Flag, Landlady and Little Things were not played on the US/Canadian leg (Okay, I know Red Flag was played a few times)...

Four of the best five songs on the album (the other being Love is Bigger).

P.S. Red Flag and Summer of Love are a pairing and should be played together.

• Brilliant 1

1 hour ago, Zoo Bahnhoff said:

I really think the 'American section' of the show (Staring At the Sun - Pride - Get Out of Your Own Way - American Soul) ought to be ditched in Europe...

Summer of Love, Red Flag Day and Zooropa should all be played for political reference/relevance.

Zooropa could be played in the sort of slot Streets has occupied on most of the tours since Zoo TV.

They both have the long Intro's so I see a comparison.

I was thinking the exact same thing as regards changing that section for Europe.

Not sure if Zooropa is an ideal swap for Streets though. Both have a long intro but Zooropa is a slow burner whereas Streets is uplifting energy. Apparently the band used City of Blinding Lights as a Streets substitute on the first leg. It was alright but I didn't find it to be in the same league as Streets.

Thinking about it now I realize how unique that song is in their catalogue. I can't for the life of me come up with an alternative. Perhaps Blinding Lights is the nearest thing afterall.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CorkVegan said:

I was thinking the exact same thing as regards changing that section for Europe.

Not sure if Zooropa is an ideal swap for Streets though. Both have a long intro but Zooropa is a slow burner whereas Streets is uplifting energy. Apparently the band used City of Blinding Lights as a Streets substitute on the first leg. It was alright but I didn't find it to be in the same league as Streets.

Thinking about it now I realize how unique that song is in their catalogue. I can't for the life of me come up with an alternative. Perhaps Blinding Lights is the nearest thing afterall.

I concur - "Streets" is unique and "Blinding Lights" is as close as they have (or anyone else for that matter) to it.