Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeirdreBell

What jumped out at me about this picture

I'm sure this is just one of those coincidences, but when I read this NY Times article about this 1981 massacre in El Salvador something jumped right out of the photo at me.  Do you see it?  It's a photo of the memorial to the victims of the El Mozote massacre, where 1,000 men, women and children were slaughtered by US backed Salvadoran troops.  Do the cut out figures holding hands look a whole lot like the cover of Songs of Experience?  I am not saying it's intentional at all.  Just one of those crazy coincidences, especially considering U2's commentary on El Salvador,  Bullet the Blue Sky, Mother's of the Disappeared, etc.   Possibly the hand holding duo is just etched in my brain from logging on here all the time.  But I'll take it as an opportunity and run with it - to remember the victims, learn about the history, and remind complainers that U2's political voice didn't start with Trump.  BTBS is about US involvement in these massacres.  (The man with the face "red like a rose on a thorn bush" is Reagan, for you young 'uns who might not recall Ronnie's rosy cheeks.) The Salvadoran military unit at El Mozote was US trained,  armed and advised, and we possibly provided air reconnaissance.   I'm no expert.  Just reading about it with renewed interest this morning.  The El Salvadoran generals called their scorched-earth tactics of killing whole villages "draining the sea" and "drying up the ocean." 

The Salvadoran perpetrators are just now being brought to trial for war crimes, 30 years later.  Two state officials had to be retrieved from Miami where they had been living after Bush I granted them asylum.    The  accounts of the massacre, contained in the article, are horrific.  "They killed the children last, firing a barrage of bullets into the convent and then setting it aflame." We hear their heartbeats.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/26/world/americas/el-salvador-el-mazote-massacre.html

.IMG_2136.thumb.JPG.2a3cc27d8d1a9dfe0b5a541ec1bee293.JPG

On 5/27/2018 at 10:32 AM, DeirdreBell said:

I'm sure this is just one of those coincidences, but when I read this NY Times article about this 1981 massacre in El Salvador something jumped right out of the photo at me.  Do you see it?  It's a photo of the memorial to the victims of the El Mozote massacre, where 1,000 men, women and children were slaughtered by US backed Salvadoran troops.  Do the cut out figures holding hands look a whole lot like the cover of Songs of Experience?  I am not saying it's intentional at all.  Just one of those crazy coincidences, especially considering U2's commentary on El Salvador,  Bullet the Blue Sky, Mother's of the Disappeared, etc.   Possibly the hand holding duo is just etched in my brain from logging on here all the time.  But I'll take it as an opportunity and run with it - to remember the victims, learn about the history, and remind complainers that U2's political voice didn't start with Trump.  BTBS is about US involvement in these massacres.  (The man with the face "red like a rose on a thorn bush" is Reagan, for you young 'uns who might not recall Ronnie's rosy cheeks.) The Salvadoran military unit at El Mozote was US trained,  armed and advised, and we possibly provided air reconnaissance.   I'm no expert.  Just reading about it with renewed interest this morning.  The El Salvadoran generals called their scorched-earth tactics of killing whole villages "draining the sea" and "drying up the ocean." 

The Salvadoran perpetrators are just now being brought to trial for war crimes, 30 years later.  Two state officials had to be retrieved from Miami where they had been living after Bush I granted them asylum.    The  accounts of the massacre, contained in the article, are horrific.  "They killed the children last, firing a barrage of bullets into the convent and then setting it aflame." We hear their heartbeats.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/26/world/americas/el-salvador-el-mazote-massacre.html

.IMG_2136.thumb.JPG.2a3cc27d8d1a9dfe0b5a541ec1bee293.JPG

That is a pretty amazing coincidence in images, so much so that I personally am having a little difficulty thinking that it is a complete coincidence - I think you may feel the same way (which is probably why you started this thread).

If it's intentional, that's an amazing statement, one which would prove yet again that U2 is the same as they have ever been - and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible. They have always been a socially/politically-engaged band, and that trait is one of the very many things that has always made - and continues to make - them uniquely special. (Another indication recently of their ability and insistence in making a direct statement on the state of the world in general was the promotional poster for the just-completed Nashville show - that was very bold and impressive too.)

(One small comment on "Mothers Of The Disappeared" - I think that song was more a comment/criticism of dictator General Pinochet's abducting (and often killing) his political enemies in Chile, but in the broad sense that many songs on JT were direct criticisms of American foreign policy in Central and South America in the 80s and before, that's exactly right - and, as you suspected and I agree with, younger fans may be unaware of the inspiration for those songs. You have quite an eagle-eye for spotting the striking similarity in images between the cover of SOE and this memorial. IMHO, maybe you should post this in the SOE thread too? A humble suggestion. :) )

Wow. Thank you for sharing. I can also believe it is not a coincidence.  U2's political conscience has been front and center since the beginning.