Sign in to follow this  
dmway

What concert are you seeing next?

Been a busy couple of days! Raced against everything on Saturday night to be able to see Bloc Party play Silent Alarm in full (and in reverse!) at the Brighton Centre and it was worth all the effort. Standout show. 

Also saw Gojira at Brixton Academy last night with Rolo Tomassi supporting and it was brutally brilliant. What band is mad enough to have pyrotechnics at a relatively small indoor venue on the hottest weekend of the year? Gojira, that's who. Me and my brother were stood right at the back and we could still feel the heat from the flames!

• Like 1

I'm getting ready to go see Switchfoot at Summerfest.  I just got a text from my best friend telling me that they want to go see Loverboy instead.  Huh?  I;m not walking through half a million people to get to a packed music festival and walk through 90,000 more to see Loverboy.  (They failed to see the wisdom in my last sentence.).  Argh.  Loverboy?   l'm outnumbered!  Who chooses Loverboy over Switchfoot?   Please pray for me.  😕

I hope the above comes across as humor.  It looks like I'm going to be a good friend and go to Loverboy.  Forget about the free pass.  I need a get out of jail card.  It will give new meaning to the lyrics when they sing, "Why don't you turn me loose?"   😶

9 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I hope the above comes across as humor.  It looks like I'm going to be a good friend and go to Loverboy.  Forget about the free pass.  I need a get out of jail card.  It will give new meaning to the lyrics when they sing, "Why don't you turn me loose?"   😶

You're a good friend. 😄

"Get Lucky" (Loverboy's 2nd album) was good; I really liked it when I first heard it. Their debut album was also good early 80s "hard rock" (before that general sound later morphed into embarrassing "hair metal" later in the decade 🤮). They had that Aldo Nova, Night Ranger kind of vibe back then. Now after "Get Lucky", they did get quite a bit less impressive. Then grunge killed them off - I think that would have to go down as a metaphorical "mercy killing". 😄

Go have some kitschy fun - you'll thank yourself for it. 😎

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, dmway said:

Go have some kitschy fun - you'll thank yourself for it. 😎

Thanks.  it was not the sudden switch in bands that freaked me out.  It was going from 90 minutes out to "We'll be there in five." There was a massive fog bank moving in off the lake.  I went from a really nice walk to a drive into hell to appease someone I don't even like.  (My best friend's friend)  I could have been front row for Switchback.  Thank God, literally, that dude does not know who Head and the Heart are.  "You always go to weird bands nobody knows."  I had to invite him because he's my best friend's friend.  He's not going.  (Thank You!)    

Loverboy:  NEVER EVER EVER cover the Doors again.  (Riders on the Storm)   Turn Me Loose sounded better than I anticipated.  Mike Reno's voice is shot. He forgot lyrics, was slurring his words and disappeared backstage for extended periods of time.  The harmonica/sax player and drummer were both really good.  I don't like concerts where it's reliving glory days but there's no music from those days to bring the show into the present.  The fog got very thick.  We have our July 4  fireworks on the third.  They were going off overhead and maybe 10 percent of them were visible.  I badly felt for all the kids who have been down there camping for a couple days to have a good spot but couldn't see anything.  Everyone not at Summerfest left the lakefront.  There were maybe 100,00 vs the half million the fireworks usually draw.  Don't bother with Loverboy unless you like hearing an old band whose singer no longer has his voice.  Most of their songs have the same structure.  Many are in the same key.  Boring.   

Megadeath was supposed to be the big act tonight.  They had to cancel because Dave Mustaine has throat cancer.  It's the only time I've ever not seen the huge ampitheatre going strong. It made me very sad to think of why. .  I hope he is okay and gets completely healed.  

Edited by Manohlive

Someone at one of the stages gave me free passes to cover the rest of the festival. She is so sweet. She'll put me in the pit and get me backstage if she can.  She knew I was ornery...  I'm going to see Chvrches tomorrow night.  

10 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Someone at one of the stages gave me free passes to cover the rest of the festival. She is so sweet. She'll put me in the pit and get me backstage if she can.  She knew I was ornery...  I'm going to see Chvrches tomorrow night.  

CHVRCHES are a great band. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

looks like we might get backstage passes for The Head and the Heart tonight.  

• Brilliant 1

Jesus Jones just finished.  They sounded great.  I did not know they are from the U.K.  I forgot they were playing.  Great surprise.

3 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Jesus Jones just finished.  They sounded great.  I did not know they are from the U.K.  I forgot they were playing.  Great surprise.

So were they "right here, right now" when you saw them? 😉

(I did always like that song. Additional "Fun Fact Of The Day" - the band members of Jesus Jones attended (in later years, not at the same time) the same English private school as the original members of Genesis. Strange but true...)

On 7/5/2019 at 9:54 PM, dmway said:

So were they "right here, right now" when you saw them? 😉

Si". I really enjoyed them.  I was impressed.  They also had a full house, which showed up for them and  then most left for other stages.   They were very good.  

The Head and the Heart:  Abbreviated set, which I expected.  They did a lot off the new album, Living Mirage.   They opened with the title song.  It was the first date of the new tour for the new album. Third time at Summerfest.  GREAT audience.  It was a sing along throughout the Oasis-clearly the hottest side stage act Friday night..  I didn't even think about The Killers playing, at the same time,  on the same grounds.  John has new moves and they are smooth.  He's very subtle.  Charity sounded amazing and looked great.  She lost a lot of weight.  The audience did not scream every time she sang, which was refreshing.  (you can't hear her when they do)  Kenny is back on keyboards, which makes us diehards ecstatic. The crowd was also cool with not talking, etc.  Very enjoyable show. The whole band was clearly enjoying the festival and crowd.  It was a nice tease for multiple dates in September.

I'm too tired to go to The Strumbellas tonight.  Free attendance was given to everyone, and anyone, until three or so this afternoon. I badly wanted to go see them and it's the last night of Summerfest.  sigh   I can't chance not getting to Dawes in Bloomington, Illinois, on Saturday.  GA-I should see quite a few people I know. That shall be my next concert.

• Like 1

Not exactly going to a gig tonight. BUT, I'm going to the cinema for a screening of The Cure's 40th anniversary show at Hyde Park last summer, which incidentally I was at! Does that count as going to the same gig twice? Just a shame they didn't film Editors or Interpol (who were both supporting).

Waiting for Dawes tonight.  GA and third in line.  😀😀

Three times, last night, I had to duck thinking Taylor was going to hit me in the face with his guitar.  I lost it during A Little Bit of Everything.  Six shows, since my dog died, I've made it through that song without getting emotional.  'It's the death of my first dog' got me this time.  I looked at the floor and mouthed, "F@#k'.  I tried to hide it.  Dang.  It was pretty cool even though I did not want it to happen.  I saw a bunch of people I know.  I met others.  I let people who were shorter stand in front of me-one would think I handed them the world. One girl was quite short and young.  It was her first show.  She almost cried.  I was hoping they'd give her a set list and they did!!  Great evening.

Aug 3-Codfish Hollow-Dawes-my next concert.

Dawes in Iowa at Codfish Hollow tomorrow.   Big show.  Scalpers are all over it.   Very excited. 

Jools Holland & His Rhythm & Blues Orchestra

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dermo said:

Jools Holland & His Rhythm & Blues Orchestra

I can't tell you how many performances I have seen from jools Holland on cable in Milwaukee.... And wished I was overseas.

Dawes were great again   it's very close to their 10th anniversary of their first album.  They played the entire album from start to finish for the first set.  I almost cried.

My next show is Melissa etheridge a week from tomorrow.  I got a single seat right up front for 39 American dollars at our state fair.  It will be the first time I've seen her since 1992.  I first saw Melissa etheridge and there were about 50 of us.  I'm very happy to see her again.

I’ve neglected this thread for a bit - I’ll catch everyone up soon.

BUT, for now, I am here...

0A964F74-5020-4F99-B3E1-C02722F23591.jpeg

• Like 1

Sorry, I am a bit late, Rammstein´s concert was yesterday.

Rammstein Tampere 20190809.jpg

• Like 2