dmway

What concert are you seeing next?

Dawes was great last night.  I saw people I know, from different states, who also follow them.  We all stood together and it made the show even better.  

Some dude, during the intermission last night, while I was getting bottles of water, took my spot right up front. I should have made him leave but was in such a good mood it did not matter at the time.  Of course, he held up the cell phone and started filming when the band started to play their second set.  At one point he was doing face time with someone and talking with her, during songs, and then holding the camera over his head so she could watch.  I was ready to shut him down when Taylor, the lead singer and guitarist, shot him a look that was priceless. He quickly stopped the face time but still filmed with the phone over his head.  This was right in front of Taylor. People behind this idiot could not see some guitar solos.  I pretended to dance and gently shoved him aside, but that made it worse for others.  It was obvious he was really irritating the band.  Why would someone butt in, right up front, hold a camera over his head and film a master musician who is literally standing right in front of him?  I don't get it.  I doubt I ever will.  It seems rude, not only to the performer, but also the audience behind.  This was a small venue. It was not an arena or stadium concert.  I wish they would ban cell phones at shows unless one takes a class in how to not be stupid while using them.  I will never give up my place on the rail again unless it's someone who is shorter, cannot see AND stood and waited to be on the rail.   :blink:

Pardon my rant.  I need to let go of my remaining irritation and this is how it works for me.  It was still a fantastic time.  My next concert is Dawes on Tuesday.  My cross country fan friends are all going to be at that show too.  ☺️

Edited by Manohlive

As of now this is what I have lined up...

Early June - Bikini Kill.

Mid June - The Rolling Stones.

Late September - Billy Bragg x2.

Getting the BK ticket was a challenge and by strange coincidence the seat number I ended up with is highly significant for me. Then again I'm not sure that I believe in coincidences.

• Like 1

Tonight it was Peter Murphy and David J. commemorating the 40th anniversary of Bauhaus’ “In The Flat Field” (i.e., their debut album). It was awesome! 😎 Even both feeling under the weather didn’t stop them from putting on a great show.

1A287089-66BD-4B65-A108-D298D62C1003.jpeg

• Like 1

...and don’t forget David J!

58F308F3-5A5A-4818-BF2C-D337362B8A06.jpeg

• Like 1

...and on Saturday (Feb. 16), it’s Interpol at MSG, NYC. 😎

Show report to follow...

On 2/14/2019 at 6:15 PM, dmway said:

...and on Saturday (Feb. 16), it’s Interpol at MSG, NYC. 😎

Show report to follow...

...and I am currently 4th in the GA line/queue. 😎

Should have some good pictures later...

• Like 1

...and front rail again! 😎

A76648F4-965C-42AD-91A3-B73E5D8491D9.jpeg

• Like 1

My next concert is Dawes, tomorrow in Clearwater, FL.  It will be close to 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37.78 C) warmer for this show than it was when I saw them in Chicago last month. Ruth Eckerd Hall/Capitol Theatre-I've never seen where every front row seat is for a wheelchair and companion. 🙃  I have second row.  I can stand and it's first row for the first two rows.  Everyone wins.  Props to them for that.  

Hi to everyone.  Read a bit above.  I have concert envy but it's happy for you guys.  Rock and Roll.   

Beast In Black.

I have seen them three times before, twice as a support to Nightwish and once in a festival. Tonight the first time as a headliner.

Dawes was fantastic.  I was the only die hard fan at the show.  It is so cool when Taylor plays a lick or they hit a high point and he looks at me or us die hards...then he gets that smile.  Impatiently awaiting new Dawes tour dates.

My next shows are Snow Patrol and Muse in Chicago. I'm not sure which is when but both are highly anticipated! 

• Like 1

A pleasant surprise this week....

My next gig is now Johnny Marr in Montclair, NJ. Just a half hour drive away from me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CorkVegan said:

A pleasant surprise this week....

My next gig is now Johnny Marr in Montclair, NJ. Just a half hour drive away from me. 

That is a pleasant surprise! I used to go regularly to academic conferences at Montclair State about 10-15 years ago - is the show on campus or in the town?

I saw Johnny four times in my life, none of them with The Smiths. The first was when he was briefly with The The (and they opened for Depeche Mode), the second I saw him with his new band at the time at a venue so small in Philly that I felt like I was in the living room of someone’s house, the third time was when he was with Modest Mouse(!) (they were opening for R.E.M.), and the fourth was at the Jodrell Bank radio telescope observatory in Cheshire, UK - the last show was an all-day show with entertainment booths based on modern science experiments (yes, really) with Johnny and New Order headlining and closing the show (not unexpectedly, Bernard from New Order joined him on stage during his set for a one-song Electronic reunion (“Getting Away With It”, of course)).

I hope you have a great time! Does he have a new album out?

• Like 1

Yes @dmway he's touring for his third solo album. The show is at the Wellmont Theatre in town. This is my first time there but from what I can gather it is a decent venue.

On a side note I visited Jodrell Bank years ago. It's a fascinating place. There is an early Oasis photograph with the telescope behind them that prompts good memories each time I see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CorkVegan said:

Yes @dmway he's touring for his third solo album. The show is at the Wellmont Theatre in town. This is my first time there but from what I can gather it is a decent venue.

On a side note I visited Jodrell Bank years ago. It's a fascinating place. There is an early Oasis photograph with the telescope behind them that prompts good memories each time I see it.

Yes - I have heard very good things about the Wellmont Theater. You should have a good time!

Yes, Jodrell Bank was/is a great place. It's funny - I first learned about the place by reading about it in Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" (of all places). I saw images of it again when Pink Floyd released "The Division Bell" in 1994. I always thought that it would be a great place to visit. Then, as life sometimes offers, I got the chance to go - so I went at least twice (including the time I talked about above), possibly three times. Bonus detail about that show: it was on the same day that Andy Murray finally won Wimbledon. You can imagine how good a mood everyone was in on that day - great music and a historic tennis result. 

I'll have to check out his dates - thanks for letting me know!

I figured out my next show is Muse in Chicago.  I was going to try to see Mumford and Sons in Chicago this month,  They just announced The Killers are coming to Summerfest on Juy 5th.  I just saw The Killers but that is going to be a hot show at Summerfest.  $$$ play a huge factor. I've never seen Mumford and Sons.  I've seen The Killers multiple times.   Do I try to go to Mumford and Sons and hope a single seat opens for The Killers?  I miss the days it was $8.50 to see Rush live.

UF again tonight! 😎

12 hours ago, dmway said:

UF again tonight! 😎

...and it was awesome! 🤘😎

That may have been the best show of theirs yet!

More in the Tribute Band Clearinghouse thread...

I saw the Genesis tribute band, "The Musical Box", tonight - they played one of my favorite shows that they have ever played. I have been seeing them for 20 years too. Just a great job tonight.

My next show (providing I don't see Unforgettable Fire again first) will be Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, a tribute to the pre-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon Pink Floyd led by the PF drummer himself. I can't wait! B)

A friend is getting us tickets to go see Jennifer Lopez on July 3, at Summerfest, for an early birthday present. (Her show won't cost a thing.)  I am sucker for a well choreographed pop concert. I would not have gone but I'm excited.  It's JLO!    

1 hour ago, dmway said:

I saw the Genesis tribute band, "The Musical Box", tonight - they played one of my favorite shows that they have ever played. I have been seeing them for 20 years too. Just a great job tonight.

I saw Genesis a few times and they were great.  Did the setlist make this one of your favorite shows by The Musical Box?  If so-which ones?   If off topic-please pm me.  I'm curious.  

Battle Beast tonight in Logomo Turku. Released their fifth album yesterday "No more Hollywood endings" and tour started immediately. Yesterday´s gig was broadcast by local media channel. There were 9 new songs in the setlist yesterday.

On 3/23/2019 at 4:44 AM, Manohlive said:

I saw Genesis a few times and they were great.  Did the setlist make this one of your favorite shows by The Musical Box?  If so-which ones?   If off topic-please pm me.  I'm curious.  

Yes! I would have to say it was my favorite show from them, and I have been seeing them for 20 years. They play primarily the early Peter Gabriel-era of the band, centering on the years 1970-1974 (however, for this tour, they expanded the setlist from 1969-1977).

This is what they played:

ACT 1 (Medley, mainly instrumental)

Unquiet Slumbers For The Sleepers (tape intro)

In That Quiet Earth

All In A Mouse's Night

Robbery, Assault And Battery

Entangled

One For The Vine

Blood On The Rooftops

Los Endos

* only Blood On The Rooftop with vocals - the rest is instrumental.

ACT 2

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Fly On A Windshield / Broadway Melody Of 1974

In The Cage

Hairless Heart

Counting Out Time

Back In NYC

Carpet Crawlers

ACT 3

A Place To Call My Own

Time Table

Seven Stones

Looking For Someone

Can-Utility And The Coastliners

Firth Of Fifth

The Cinema Show

Aisle Of Plenty

After The Ordeal

Dance On A Volcano

Encore:

The Musical Box

OUTSTANDING show! I also see a Collins-era Genesis tribute called "The Genesis Show" - they usually do the 1976-1977 version of the setlist, BUT they have just decided to expand into the later trio era. Next month and in June, they are putting on an Abacab-era show - of course, I'm seeing both shows.

Not seeing the show until September, BUT I just got a ticket to see Adam Ant! :lol:

I was never a big fan of his performing with the rest of The Ants, but I have always loved his first solo album "Friend Or Foe". And wouldn't you know it...he is playing that whole album in its entirety on this tour. Well, I just had to go, and now I am. The other hits will be played too, but I'm really looking forward to this!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

The Head and the Heart live streamed a concert to officially announce their new album.  Huge surprise that Kenny is back in the band touring.  They also announced tour dates:  I am going, thus far to:  Chicago; Ames, Iowa, Grand Rapids and Minneapolis.  I'm skipping Muse to do these HnH gigs.  I'm also very hopeful for a Milwaukee date at Summerfest with HnH.  By contract, they cannot play Lollapalooza and Summerfest the same year.  They are not playing Lolla and they have a history with Summerfest.   I'm already putting out feelers to get back stage passes if they do.  They play a side stage and I have buddies who do spotlights, etc, for Summerfest.  It's how I met them and got to talk to John at length about writing.  They're very cool.  They said hi to me, not me to them.  I was hovering in the corner and observing backstage.  Yow.  A new tour by one of my three favorite live bands. I am gonna see four shows, and they'll keep adding dates.  😁

Anyone reading this who is not aware-if you get tickets from TM and later find better seats available at the same price-call customer service asap.  They now charge ten bucks, however, you have the right to switch your seats for the better ones until shortly before the day of the show.   I repeating this because many people I speak with, where I live, are not familiar with the TM policy.  

Edited by Manohlive
  • Upvote 1