dmway

Besides U2, who are your pick-me-up bands?

What music do you listen to when you need to perk up your spirits (besides U2 - I regard that as a given since we are all here :D )?

From U2's contemporaries, I would have to say that I gravitate to Simple Minds, R.E.M., New Order, and INXS. Their songs are almost relentlessly positive, and I like their album tracks as much as (and often more than) their singles. I also have to mention The Cure - their songs aren't always positive, but they always satisfy when needed.

From older bands (60s/70s), there are several: The Beatles are always a source of comfort - there's always a feeling of "everything-is-or-soon will-be-ok" when I hear their songs; Pink Floyd (their work from 1968 to 1975, that is), if (for whatever reason) I don't mind lingering in a less-than-perfect mood and I need sounds which are relaxing to accompany it (it amused me in an interview that Bono said that U2 had an occasional "Pink Floyd side" to some of their songs/albums - I have thought the same thing about their mellower songs/albums); and Led Zeppelin and Genesis (1970 to 1983, mostly), if I need something more energetic.

From the 90s/new millennium, there are fewer. If I need a cathartic release, I'll pull out NIN, but the release only happens after I finish listening. The is also a band who opened for U2 on some dates on U2360 from NYC called Interpol - they have the same effect as Pink Floyd for me, but their sound is more like Joy Division. I also want to say someone like Coldplay, but I think I would be lying... :lol: (If you divined that I'm not overly fond of new music in the new millennium, you would be correct.)

So, who are your go-to bands for an emotional lift? :Zoo_Angel:

• Upvote 2

Depends on my mood and what I am needing. Other than U2 my go-tos are in no particular order:

Coldplay (a lot of Coldplay), Snow Patrol, Ed Sheeran, Glass Animals, Hozier, Jack White, Pink, Sam Smith, Sia

I also like some EDM like David Guetta, Alesso, Avicii 💖...or I’ll just listen to a spotify playlist

My big time go-tos are U2 & Coldplay.

:POP_Heart_02:

• Like 1

Foster the People, Arcade Fire, Talking Heads, Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music, early Depeche Mode and Coldplay X&Y.  I am so musically lazy in my advanced age (over 30, ok over 40, too), I just listen to free Pandora stations - I have an Arcade Fire one and a Roxy Music one and they give me all those listed plus plenty more that I don't really know but enjoy!  Love the Cure but never listen to them anymore, and used to listen to all albums of Pink Floyd but haven't in a long time. I get that Bono quote about their Pink Floyd side. Velvet Dress comes to mind, maybe. I have two young kids who are not into pop music, but into musicals, so lately we listen to Les Mis all the time!!  Not really a pick me up, kind of the opposite, but I love it nonetheless.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JCF said:

Foster the People, Arcade Fire, Talking Heads, Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music, early Depeche Mode and Coldplay X&Y.  I am so musically lazy in my advanced age (over 30, ok over 40, too), I just listen to free Pandora stations - I have an Arcade Fire one and a Roxy Music one and they give me all those listed plus plenty more that I don't really know but enjoy!  Love the Cure but never listen to them anymore, and used to listen to all albums of Pink Floyd but haven't in a long time. I get that Bono quote about their Pink Floyd side. Velvet Dress comes to mind, maybe. I have two young kids who are not into pop music, but into musicals, so lately we listen to Les Mis all the time!!  Not really a pick me up, kind of the opposite, but I love it nonetheless.  

First - to the both of you who responded so far - no disrespect to Coldplay. I know there are very many people who absolutely adore them - my liking of them is just so much less. If they would just put the boot in a bit more and more often, I would like them so much more; however, they are who they are, and very many people are completely happy with that. I have seen them twice live; they put on good shows.

The T-Heads are also one of my favorite bands, and one of the greatest regrets for never seeing them live back in the day. Their last performance together was for their induction into the RnR Hall of Fame, and that performance has a 99.999% chance of being the very last performance they will ever do together. (Mr. Byrne is permanently inflexible on the idea of a reunion.)

I love Roxy Music (and had seen them twice on their last reunion tours), and I really like Bryan Ferry (I've seen him twice as well - including one show at the Olympia Theatre in Dublin). Don't completely discount later Depeche Mode - you'll be hearing some at the show you're going to! 😄 (Also, don't apologize for being over 40; I'm willing to bet a very solid majority here is over 40 - whether or not some are confident enough to admit it may be a different thing, but...)

Yes, "Velvet Dress" has that sound - I also think that "Fez - Being Born" and "Cedars of Lebanon" off of NLOTH also have that sound.

Yes - it's one of many mothers' duties to listen to and enjoy (genuinely or pretend) the music of their children. It's yet another reason mothers deserve admiration every day... 😄

Biffy Clyro, Stereophonics, manic Street Preachers, simple minds, coldplay the killers, foo fighters RHCP

3 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Biffy Clyro, Stereophonics, manic Street Preachers, simple minds, coldplay the killers, foo fighters RHCP

I used to be a major RHCP fan until John Frusciante left (again) - I haven't really been into them since. But, "Mother's Milk" to "Stadium Arcadium" - I love that era...

4 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Gotta second Biffy. Virtually everything they've put out speaks to my soul on a personal level.

• Like 1

Oh I forgot Muse!

if I really need an in the car sing a long pick me up it’s gotta be knights of cydonia!

• Like 1

Switchfoot

Depeche Mode

Arcade Fire

Melody Gardot

Pink Floyd

Deacon Blue

Simple Minds

• Like 1

7 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Oh I forgot Muse!

if I really need an in the car sing a long pick me up it’s gotta be knights of cydonia!

I saw Muse very early on in their career opening up for The Cure on their "Curiosa" festival. They were very good even then.

On 6/1/2018 at 11:23 AM, dmway said:

First - to the both of you who responded so far - no disrespect to Coldplay. I know there are very many people who absolutely adore them - my liking of them is just so much less. If they would just put the boot in a bit more and more often, I would like them so much more; however, they are who they are, and very many people are completely happy with that. I have seen them twice live; they put on good shows.

The T-Heads are also one of my favorite bands, and one of the greatest regrets for never seeing them live back in the day. Their last performance together was for their induction into the RnR Hall of Fame, and that performance has a 99.999% chance of being the very last performance they will ever do together. (Mr. Byrne is permanently inflexible on the idea of a reunion.)

I love Roxy Music (and had seen them twice on their last reunion tours), and I really like Bryan Ferry (I've seen him twice as well - including one show at the Olympia Theatre in Dublin). Don't completely discount later Depeche Mode - you'll be hearing some at the show you're going to! 😄 (Also, don't apologize for being over 40; I'm willing to bet a very solid majority here is over 40 - whether or not some are confident enough to admit it may be a different thing, but...)

Yes, "Velvet Dress" has that sound - I also think that "Fez - Being Born" and "Cedars of Lebanon" off of NLOTH also have that sound.

Yes - it's one of many mothers' duties to listen to and enjoy (genuinely or pretend) the music of their children. It's yet another reason mothers deserve admiration every day... 😄

I hear you on Coldplay. They don't stir me deeply - I just like listening to them, and really like X & Y start to finish.  I, too, regret never seeing the Talking Heads! I saw David Byrne by himself in a small theater in Ithaca, NY in the 90s, but not the band. A few times I have gotten to see Stop Making Sense at a movie theater and it's so incredible.  

I like later DM too!! I just get especially happy when I listen to the early stuff.  

I'll agree about Fez and Cedars having that sound.

Yesterday in the car my little one asked for, instead of Les Mis, "That U2 song where they sing 'You are....walking on. You and I are....walking on.'"  How cute. Why, yes, five-year-old, I'd be happy to play American Soul for you!  

And yes, I bet most of us here are over 40!  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JCF said:

I hear you on Coldplay. They don't stir me deeply - I just like listening to them, and really like X & Y start to finish.  I, too, regret never seeing the Talking Heads! I saw David Byrne by himself in a small theater in Ithaca, NY in the 90s, but not the band. A few times I have gotten to see Stop Making Sense at a movie theater and it's so incredible.  

I like later DM too!! I just get especially happy when I listen to the early stuff.  

I'll agree about Fez and Cedars having that sound.

Yesterday in the car my little one asked for, instead of Les Mis, "That U2 song where they sing 'You are....walking on. You and I are....walking on.'"  How cute. Why, yes, five-year-old, I'd be happy to play American Soul for you!  

And yes, I bet most of us here are over 40!  

"Stop Making Sense" I think is one of the very best filmed shows ever! David Byrne must put on good shows solo too - I'd like to see one someday (I hope he continues touring)...

Here is what DM has been playing on this leg of the tour - just scroll down to the Chicago date and earlier to see what they have been playing:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/depeche-mode-73d6b235.html

:lol: I love your 5-year-old's special name for "American Soul" - good taste should never be discouraged.

People over 40 rock! B) 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 8:17 PM, dmway said:

What music do you listen to when you need to perk up your spirits (besides U2 - I regard that as a given since we are all here :D )?

From U2's contemporaries, I would have to say that I gravitate to Simple Minds, R.E.M., New Order, and INXS. Their songs are almost relentlessly positive, and I like their album tracks as much as (and often more than) their singles. I also have to mention The Cure - their songs aren't always positive, but they always satisfy when needed.

From older bands (60s/70s), there are several: The Beatles are always a source of comfort - there's always a feeling of "everything-is-or-soon will-be-ok" when I hear their songs; Pink Floyd (their work from 1968 to 1975, that is), if (for whatever reason) I don't mind lingering in a less-than-perfect mood and I need sounds which are relaxing to accompany it (it amused me in an interview that Bono said that U2 had an occasional "Pink Floyd side" to some of their songs/albums - I have thought the same thing about their mellower songs/albums); and Led Zeppelin and Genesis (1970 to 1983, mostly), if I need something more energetic.

From the 90s/new millennium, there are fewer. If I need a cathartic release, I'll pull out NIN, but the release only happens after I finish listening. The is also a band who opened for U2 on some dates on U2360 from NYC called Interpol - they have the same effect as Pink Floyd for me, but their sound is more like Joy Division. I also want to say someone like Coldplay, but I think I would be lying... :lol: (If you divined that I'm not overly fond of new music in the new millennium, you would be correct.)

So, who are your go-to bands for an emotional lift? :Zoo_Angel:

Well, my 2018/19 just improved!

Interpol is releasing a new album in August with a tour in Fall 2018/Winter 2019 to follow! 😎

Now, all I/we need is for New Order and/or The Cure to follow suit...

21 hours ago, dmway said:

Interpol is releasing a new album in August with a tour in Fall 2018/Winter 2019 to follow! 😎

Funny that, I'm seeing both Interpol and The Cure at Hyde Park next month! I think Robert Smith said recently he and the band are going back to the studio soon.

1 minute ago, peterferris8 said:

Funny that, I'm seeing both Interpol and The Cure at Hyde Park next month! I think Robert Smith said recently he and the band are going back to the studio soon.

YES! I read all about that show for many months now on The Cure's webpage. It looks like a great day of music!

I hope they do go into the studio soon - I'm having Cure-withdrawal... 😮

On 6/8/2018 at 6:50 PM, dmway said:

...and New Order have followed suit! I have to go all the way to DC to see them, but they are coming and I am seeing them. B)

http://www.neworder.com/newordernow/2018/6/18/north-american-tour-2018.html

Let's go, Robert Smith...get your band over here after your festival in the UK. :D

Posted (edited)

Dawes, The Head and the Heart, Young the Giant and other new or newer bands I love always pick me up.  The Stereophonics have my newest love for a band that gets me high.  Bruce Springsteen and Elton John are my biggest ones besides U2.    Those three are beyond words.  So is Coldplay.   Green Day gives me a boost. Beth Hart. Lone Justice. One Republic.

Props to Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Ray Charles, Edith Piaf   They always make me feel better.. 

Edited by Manohlive

On 5/31/2018 at 8:17 PM, dmway said:

I agree completely with all those choices and I would highlight early Simple Minds albums pre- New Gold Dream, not that I have anything against NGD mind you.

Robert Smith creates an entire world with his music and to listen to those Cure albums is to inhabit it briefly.

My go to band for a positive vibe is Primal Scream. Within moments of putting them on I'm nodding my head and wiggling my rump. They've got more grooves than Prince's corduroys.

• Brilliant 1

Muse.  I need to find where the Drones Tour movie is playing by me.

I've been listening to a lot of Bruce Springsteen-especially the album Magic.  It's an often overlooked album which I love.

Mon the Biff ! Biffy Clyro Only band who have resonated with me in a similar way to U2 ! Love REM, The Cult and Stone Roses too but Biffy just have something more personable about them and like U2 they are awesome live. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KEV ANGELL said:

Mon the Biff ! Biffy Clyro Only band who have resonated with me in a similar way to U2 ! Love REM, The Cult and Stone Roses too but Biffy just have something more personable about them and like U2 they are awesome live. 

For me it's the way Biffy not only write but play their music live. There's something almost cleansing about the raw, unprocessed way they perform that just hits you on the deepest possible level. Listening to their music has gotten me through some dark places.

• Like 1

When I need cheering up, I like to rock out to some Bon Jovi or Bryan Adams. They may not be trendy, but I don't care :P I have two older sisters and a large part of my music taste was formed early on by listening to their favourites. 

And Muse have just started playing on Spotify. They must have known I was about to mention them next :lol: There are also some Powderfinger songs that are good for making me feel better. 

If all of that fails, there's always Amaral. "Salta" and "Marta, Sebas, Guille y los Demas" are two of the most uplifting songs I know. 

And I must give an honourable mention to Juanes :)

If after ALL of those, I'm still not right, I get the Star Wars soundtracks out :D

On 7/30/2018 at 1:06 PM, padawanbeck84 said:

I get the Star Wars soundtracks out

It was interesting to read what you like.  I never would have seen the sountracks coming but why am I not surprised?    😏

Muse kicks ass!