Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arngrim

eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE TOUR 2018 Blu-ray predictions

So most fans will know that U2 normally tends to film a show on their current tour for home video release rather late into a tour, and during a time when they're playing a city with multiple nights; 1st night is a dress rehearsal, 2nd night is the show that gets released. Some occasions they've authorized a home video cut made up of both nights.

Being that the entire 2nd (and final) leg of the eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE TOUR 2018 is made up of cities with 2-4 days, makes it hard to pinpoint where the band will shoot. But it will be fun to predict.

So I'm predicting Dublin. Let's see your predictions for #U2eiTour

This is a good topic! ?

I'll predict one (or more) of the MSG shows - they have done Boston, Chicago, and LA on DVD (and BluRay, for LA anyway) already, and they haven't kept it a secret how much they like playing in NYC at MSG.

I'm hoping it's London, although given that I'm going on night 1 it'd probably consist mainly of night 2. 

Although that said, are they actually going to do a DVD for this tour? They didn't do one for the Joshua Tree tour so I get the feeling they're falling out of the habit a bit.

30 minutes ago, peterferris8 said:

I'm hoping it's London, although given that I'm going on night 1 it'd probably consist mainly of night 2. 

Although that said, are they actually going to do a DVD for this tour? They didn't do one for the Joshua Tree tour so I get the feeling they're falling out of the habit a bit.

Anton Corbijn filmed some shows during the South American leg for release. I suspect the reason the band haven't released it yet is because they wouldn't want sales of that product to distract from what they are doing currently. May want to wait a bit after the innocence + experience era comes to a close.

I wouldn't put it past them to release a show from the current tour. I thought during 2016 that shooting & releasing the Paris show was jumping the gun too early... that is until this current tour was announced, then I understood it to be a seperate tour in the i+e era. so that the shows would be different in different ways.

I can’t wait for the JT live DVD. Just this morning Facebook reminded me that on this day a year ago we saw the show in Chicago - we spent a few minutes watching videos I’d taken. It took my breath away all over again... those shows were really special AND we got to see “A Sort Of Homecoming” LA night 1 which was really fantastic. I was bummed they didn’t keep with that for the tour consistently. 

Edited to add on OT: I also look forward to the e+i DVD. Hopefully they film a night that includes Red Flag Day!

On 6/2/2018 at 9:06 PM, Arngrim said:

Anton Corbijn filmed some shows during the South American leg for release. I suspect the reason the band haven't released it yet is because they wouldn't want sales of that product to distract from what they are doing currently. May want to wait a bit after the innocence + experience era comes to a close.

I wouldn't put it past them to release a show from the current tour. I thought during 2016 that shooting & releasing the Paris show was jumping the gun too early... that is until this current tour was announced, then I understood it to be a seperate tour in the i+e era. so that the shows would be different in different ways.

Interesting. So would a Joshua Tree show and an E&I show come together as one package? Something like "U2 Live: 2017/18"?

I imagine the JT tour will be released in time for Christmas.

There will probably be dates early next year for places like Australia and other countries not visited on the i&e tour. Am guessing the dvd will come out after these dates and maybe filmed in one of these places.

1 hour ago, peterferris8 said:

Interesting. So would a Joshua Tree show and an E&I show come together as one package? Something like "U2 Live: 2017/18"?

I figure the i+e and e+i shows would likely get the package, if there is a package to be made. TJT Tour 2017 would likely be a standalone release.

On 6/2/2018 at 9:43 AM, dmway said:

This is a good topic! ?

I'll predict one (or more) of the MSG shows - they have done Boston, Chicago, and LA on DVD (and BluRay, for LA anyway) already, and they haven't kept it a secret how much they like playing in NYC at MSG.

I'm going to add another prediction for this.

I still think that one of the MSG shows is slightly more likely than most to be considered; however, considering the more nakedly-political thrust (in the socially-conscious sense, not strictly 'party politics') of this current tour, I would also suggest that Washington, D.C. would be quite appropriate as well. Apparently, DC was filmed during ZooTV but it was never (officially) released. This could be their time to try to release a show properly from there.

8 hours ago, dmway said:

I'm going to add another prediction for this.

I still think that one of the MSG shows is slightly more likely than most to be considered; however, considering the more nakedly-political thrust (in the socially-conscious sense, not strictly 'party politics') of this current tour, I would also suggest that Washington, D.C. would be quite appropriate as well. Apparently, DC was filmed during ZooTV but it was never (officially) released. This could be their time to try to release a show properly from there.

"American Soul" being played in Washington DC... interesting thought.

Looks like D.C. is being filmed! Still might not be the officieal release though. MSG would be cool. 

16 minutes ago, Vertigo3333 said:

Looks like D.C. is being filmed! Still might not be the officieal release though. MSG would be cool. 

They were filming in Philly at both shows too. I think every show is being filmed.

On 6/18/2018 at 9:00 PM, dmway said:

They were filming in Philly at both shows too. I think every show is being filmed.

Were there signs posted about being filmed? I didn’t see that there were any at Philly. Usually for a concert being filmed for DVD there are extra cameras besides those used to show the band on the screen (such as cameras in the crowd too), and they do film all their concerts but more so they can improve their shows. And there would have been notices for the audience. I’d love to see a Philly DVD though so I hope it was for that!

3 minutes ago, Vertigo3333 said:

Were there signs posted about being filmed? I didn’t see that there were any at Philly. Usually for a concert being filmed for DVD there are extra cameras besides those used to show the band on the screen (such as cameras in the crowd too), and they do film all their concerts but more so they can improve their shows. And there would have been notices for the audience. I’d love to see a Philly DVD though so I hope it was for that!

I didn't notice signs, but there were cameramen everywhere.

Were there signs in DC? I did predict that DC might make for a possible release for this tour because they filmed DC during ZooTV but didn't end up releasing it and because of the current situation in DC. I'd be very happy with a DC show being the "official" DVD/BluRay.

On 6/21/2018 at 9:01 PM, dmway said:

I didn't notice signs, but there were cameramen everywhere.

Were there signs in DC? I did predict that DC might make for a possible release for this tour because they filmed DC during ZooTV but didn't end up releasing it and because of the current situation in DC. I'd be very happy with a DC show being the "official" DVD/BluRay.

From the pictures I’ve seen and people I’ve talked to through Facebook groups there were signs about filming in DC! 

12 minutes ago, Vertigo3333 said:

From the pictures I’ve seen and people I’ve talked to through Facebook groups there were signs about filming in DC! 

Well, I hope that's the case! I think a DVD/BluRay from DC would be perfect for this tour. B)