Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xrayjets

The World Cup Thread

Bill Shankly, legendary football manager once said:

Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.

The World Cup. The biggest global event this year.

Is it just me or is it hard to believe that 4 years have passed since Brazil ???

Who will be the players to watch ?

Will your country perform ?

Who will be the surprise packet ?

Who will be disappointed ?

Will the video assistant referee (V.A.R) be a disaster ? 

Reputations will be ruined.

New superstars will be discovered.

So many unknowns, so much to discuss !!

As my good friends Rampaging Roy Slaven & HG Nelson say:

Let the festival of the boot begin !

No US men's team 😕

That said, I'll try and catch a few games for sure.

The group chats here have been fun in past years. Hopefully we'll have more of the same this time around. 

On 6/8/2018 at 2:48 AM, Shannon387 said:

No US men's team 😕

That said, I'll try and catch a few games for sure.

The group chats here have been fun in past years. Hopefully we'll have more of the same this time around. 

Hey there, long time no see !

Don't worry if your country didn't make the World Cup, it's awesome to be neutral - pick a team to follow & join the fun.

Less than a week to go now  !

Does Russia have an octopus?

I'm not sure how England will do this time round. I like to think we'll at least make the quarter-finals though :)

And I'm adopting Iceland as my second team purely because of the amazing Reykjavik Grapevine Twitter commentaries on their matches.  

I haven't bothered with the sticker book though. I did the one for Brazil, but this time round the price of sticker packets has gone up by 30p! :o Multiply that by the amount of packets you need to buy to complete the book... nope. Too much. - especially as I'm already collecting Star Wars stickers.

The best of WOrld Cup trivia; you'll need to know before the start of the tournament.

* Most wins: Five - Brazil (1958, 1962, 1970, 1994, 2002)

* Most wins (player): Three - Pele (1958, 1962, 1970)

* Most times runner-up: Four - Germany (1966, 1982, 1986, 2002)

* Most finals: Eight - Germany (1954, 1966, 1974, 1982, 1986, 1990, 2002, 2014)

* Most goals: 16 - Miroslav Klose, Germany (2002-2014)

* Most goals at a single tournament: 13 - Just Fontaine, France, 1958

* Most goals at a single tournament (country): 27 - Hungary, 1954

* Most goal in a single match: 5 - Oleg Salenko, Russia (1994)

* Most appearances: 25 - Lothar Matthaus, Germany (1982-1998)

* Most appearances as captain: 16 - Diego Maradona, Argentina (1986-1994)

* Most minutes played: 2217 - Paolo Maldini, Italy (1990-2002)

* Most matches won: 17 - Miroslav Klose, Germany (2002-2014)

* Most cards received (yellow and red): Zinedine Zidane, France (1998-2006) and Cafu, Brazil (1994-2006)

* Most clean sheets (goalkeeper): 10 - Peter Shilton, England (1982-1990) and Fabien Barthez, France (1998-2006)

* Youngest player: 17 years, 41 days - Norman Whiteside, Northern Ireland (1982)

* Oldest player: 43 years, 3 days - Faryd Mondragon, Colombia (2014)

* Youngest goalscorer: 17 years, 7 months, 27 days - Pele, Brazil (1958)

* Oldest goalscorer: 42 years, 1 month, 8 days - Roger Milla, Cameroon (1994)

* Only manager to win tournament twice: Vittorio Pozzo, Italy (1934, 1938)

* First played in 1930 in Uruguay, this is 21st edition of the tournament

* Of 32 countries competing in Russia, only Iceland and Panama are debut nations

* Since and including 1986, Cup winners have always topped their group

* Host nations have reached the knockout phase at every World Cup except South Africa in 2010

* The last hosts to win the World Cup were France in 1998. Other host winners: Uruguay (1930),  Italy (1934),  England (1966),  West Germany (1974),  Argentina (1978).

* The 20 World Cups have been won only by nations from Europe (11) or South America (nine)

* Only consecutive Cups: Italy (1934, 1938) and Brazil (1958, 1962)

* The past two defending champions have been knocked out in the group stage (Italy 2010, Spain 2014)

* Mexico have qualified for the Cup the most times (16) without winning it

* All 20 World Cups have been won by a coach with the same nationality as the triumphant team

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/the-best-fifa-world-cup-records-and-stats 

Why am I not surprised about Zidane having the joint record for most cards? I remember that headbutt in the 2006 final :o 

Let's hope we don't see anything like that this time round!

19 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

Why am I not surprised about Zidane having the joint record for most cards? I remember that headbutt in the 2006 final :o 

Let's hope we don't see anything like that this time round!

V disappointing to see such a great player go out like that..

And Spain with a bold strategy, sacking their coach two days out from the start of the tournament 😮

2 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

England are the Worst at Penalty shoot Outs!

how many years of hurt is it now Jules Rimet?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40432001

England to go out in the first KO round on penalties 

Sssshhh! Don't mention penalties! English people are trying to pretend they don't exist :P

I haven't looked at how the groups work out yet - my local paper's wall chart is *hopeless* - but I am resigned to the fact that we'll probably get through the group stage only to be knocked out by the Germans. 

And of course the opening ceremony and first match take place while I'm at work... :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

Yes! 2026 baby!

... hopefully we'll all still be friends by then 

Ive booked my flights already. 😎

Never too early to plan. 

How soon do tickets for that go on sale? I'm in soccer/football town USA. We're definitely getting some games here. I'm already thinking ahead. 😁👏🏼

12 hours ago, Shannon387 said:

Never too early to plan. 

How soon do tickets for that go on sale? I'm in soccer/football town USA. We're definitely getting some games here. I'm already thinking ahead. 😁👏🏼

Usually about a year out. We're all staying at your place btw.

Today's the day !!!

️. 🇦🇺🇦🇺

It's that time agaaaaaaaaaain!!! O_O

Thousands and thousands of hours of football, each more climactic than the last! Constant, dizzying, twenty-four hour, yearlong, endless football! Every kick of it massively mattering to someone, presumably. Watch it all, all here, all the time, forever, it will never stop, the football is officially going on forever! It will never be finally decided who has won the football! There is still everything to play for, and forever to play it in! So that's the football! Coming up! Watch it! Watch the football! Watch it! Watch it! It's gonna move... Watch the football! IT'S FOOTBALL!!!

bring.it.on.

If you want to see how epically shit England are at Penalty shootouts watch this and laugh!

I'm watching it right now.  It sure is fun to watch.  Is there anywhere I can make sense of how it all works?   I'm hooked.  It's addictive without understanding it all.  I saw the link above and looked.  I did a search and came up with many, many results.  Is there a specific site that explains it well or is it confusing by nature-like college basketball in the USA?  

52 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I'm watching it right now.  It sure is fun to watch.  Is there anywhere I can make sense of how it all works?   I'm hooked.  It's addictive without understanding it all.  I saw the link above and looked.  I did a search and came up with many, many results.  Is there a specific site that explains it well or is it confusing by nature-like college basketball in the USA?  

I think you should be able to figure most of it out just by watching games - the basic rules are fairly simple: kick the ball into the big net to score a goal, but make sure it's at the end *your* team is attacking, otherwise it's an own goal which will count for the opposition. Fouls are punished by free-kicks or a penalty depending where on the field it takes place. Cards are simple - yellow is a warning, red card = you're off. 

Even the offside rule isn't *that* difficult :). The attacking player cannot be beyond the last defender when the ball is played to them - goals can be ruled out for a player being offside when the ball was passed to them. You will often see replays of offside decisions which should help you work out how it rule goes. 

The exact rules of the game can probably be found on websites like Wikipedia, or presumably on FIFA. You could also try the BBC Sport website and see if their football section can help. And in terms of the group system for the tournament, most sports sites should have group tables etc that explain permutations for progress to the next rounds and who might play who.

Also - I finally found a decent wallchart! :D 

8 minutes ago, padawanbeck84 said:

the basic rules are fairly simple: kick the ball into the big net to score a goal, but make sure it's at the end *your* team is attacking, otherwise it's an own goal which will count for the opposition.

That's funny-I wonder if anyone has ever mistaken their side for the other one.   Thank you, padawanbeck84.  FIFA helps a lot, thanks.  I really appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

That's funny-I wonder if anyone has ever mistaken their side for the other one.   Thank you, padawanbeck84.  FIFA helps a lot, thanks.  I really appreciate it.

No problem :)

Own goals happen surprisingly often - usually when a defender is trying to clear the ball, but gets it wrong. It must be a horrible feeling.

As for mistaking teams, I do wonder if players at club level ever get confused when they've just transferred to a new team and have to remember which colour shirts to pass to... :wacko:

4 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Wèlcome to the beautiful world of football. It's a heck of a ride !