Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xrayjets

The World Cup Thread

But thank God for Harry Kane! 

Come on You Spurs. Sterling and Lingard have no idea where the net is! Ashley young Ordinary.

Kyle Walker brain freeze again! 

England were lucky! Lucky that you only have to give Harry a sniff and he scores

The midges stole the show this evening :lol: 

And yes, well done to Mexico and Iceland. And Switzerland too. 

I'm excited to see Colombia's match tomorrow - they were a highlight of the 2014 tournament for me, so it'll be interesting to see how they do this time round. 

12 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

England were lucky!

The Great Escape !

17 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

The midges stole the show this evening :lol: 

And yes, well done to Mexico and Iceland. And Switzerland too. 

I'm excited to see Colombia's match tomorrow - they were a highlight of the 2014 tournament for me, so it'll be interesting to see how they do this time round. 

...and they were unexpectedly taken by surprise by Japan! 😮 I didn't see that one coming...

19 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

But thank God for Harry Kane! 

Come on You Spurs. Sterling and Lingard have no idea where the net is! Ashley young Ordinary.

Kyle Walker brain freeze again! 

England were lucky! Lucky that you only have to give Harry a sniff and he scores

Why the negativity?

It wasn't luck as a goal scored counts no matter when it goes in.

Man Utd were experts in playing up until the whistle and often believed they could score the winner in the dying seconds.

It looks as if England have begin to believe in this mentality too.

It was a promising and encouraging performance by the whole team.

Why the negativity?

50+ years of hurt and underachievement that’s why.

England were in control for 30 minutes, should have been 2-3 up but then had a couple of defensive meltdowns and fell for a sucker punch penalty. 

I’m a spurs fan. Think Pochettino is a fab manager, I love what Southgate is trying to do with England. I would expect a big step up in performance from Walker, Sterling(back to his euro 2016 self)lingard young and Alli in the next games. I think Alli was injured early doors mind.

I would love England to proceed in the tournament playing a positive high pressing game. If they go down fighting then I’d take that. We’ll see how good England are when they play Belgium.

25 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

Why the negativity?

50+ years of hurt and underachievement that’s why.

England were in control for 30 minutes, should have been 2-3 up but then had a couple of defensive meltdowns and fell for a sucker punch penalty. 

I’m a spurs fan. Think Pochettino is a fab manager, I love what Southgate is trying to do with England. I would expect a big step up in performance from Walker, Sterling(back to his euro 2016 self)lingard young and Alli in the next games. I think Alli was injured early doors mind.

I would love England to proceed in the tournament playing a positive high pressing game. If they go down fighting then I’d take that. We’ll see how good England are when they play Belgium.

We all feel the disappointment in supporting England!!

But it was the first game of our tournament and won it. The first time in how many years??

Also I think in context it was a good result as a number of the big teams have fallen and the first game hurdle (Germany, Brazil, Argentina).

I'm in no way suggesting a super inflated sense of expectation but things are possible with this team.

PS

Am sorry about the Spurs condition but you probably won't have much sympathy for a Man Utd fan!

2 hours ago, adrnik said:

We all feel the disappointment in supporting England!!

But it was the first game of our tournament and won it. The first time in how many years??

Also I think in context it was a good result as a number of the big teams have fallen and the first game hurdle (Germany, Brazil, Argentina).

I'm in no way suggesting a super inflated sense of expectation but things are possible with this team.

PS

Am sorry about the Spurs condition but you probably won't have much sympathy for a Man Utd fan!

I’m glad Jose has shown Jessie and Ashley where the goal is!

PS I’m Welsh but wouldn’t mind seeing England do well. I hate the anyone but England nonsense.

6 hours ago, dmway said:

...and they were unexpectedly taken by surprise by Japan! 😮 I didn't see that one coming...

:o Me neither, but well done to Japan. It has been good to see the so-called "smaller" nations doing well so far.

6 hours ago, dmway said:

Definitely didn't see that one coming.

or Senegal beating Poland.

how good is football !

3 hours ago, xrayjets said:

Senegal beating Poland.

I watched it earlier.  It was a lot of fun.   

On 6/18/2018 at 2:54 PM, doctornickriviera said:

In American football we call that being  a Monday morning quarterback.  What would be the soccer translation?  You won, did you not?  haha

There's been a huge, huge World Cup kerfuffle over here (I'm in Australia)

This year, you could only access all of the games live via a streaming subscription service - only limited games on free to air tv. I was ok with paying a subscription- it's the World Cup after all !

Of course, they seriously underestimated the demand & thousands of people have been missing out on seeing any of the games layer live, even though it's in the middle of the night.

Watching games started badly with Egypt v Uruguay and went downhill from there. 

This afternoon, Optus announced they were refunding everyone who subscribed and the games will be on tv again!

1 hour ago, xrayjets said:

There's been a huge, huge World Cup kerfuffle over here (I'm in Australia)

This year, you could only access all of the games live via a streaming subscription service - only limited games on free to air tv. I was ok with paying a subscription- it's the World Cup after all !

Of course, they seriously underestimated the demand & thousands of people have been missing out on seeing any of the games layer live, even though it's in the middle of the night.

Watching games started badly with Egypt v Uruguay and went downhill from there. 

This afternoon, Optus announced they were refunding everyone who subscribed and the games will be on tv again!

People power! Here in the UK every World Cup *has* to be on free-to-air TV by law, even if England don't qualify. There are certain sporting events that are protected and cannot go to pay TV (Wimbledon tennis is another one). 

I think people are also realising that, while they may get more money from pay TV companies, it reduces audience figures - our cricket coverage went over to Sky after the 2005 Ashes and has been highlights-only for years, but they've realised that participation and interest are dwindling because hardly anyone can afford to pay for sports channels to watch it. Cricket will be coming back to free-to-air live coverage in the next year or two as a result. 

51 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

Australia may prefer the cricket to restricted to pay per view after last nights annihilation! 

I hoped nobody would have noticed...

14 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

People power! Here in the UK every World Cup *has* to be on free-to-air TV by law, even if England don't qualify. There are certain sporting events that are protected and cannot go to pay TV (Wimbledon tennis is another one). 

I think people are also realising that, while they may get more money from pay TV companies, it reduces audience figures - our cricket coverage went over to Sky after the 2005 Ashes and has been highlights-only for years, but they've realised that participation and interest are dwindling because hardly anyone can afford to pay for sports channels to watch it. Cricket will be coming back to free-to-air live coverage in the next year or two as a result. 

I have waited for four decades to see the Milwaukee Bucks be a good basketball team again.  We were in the playoffs.  It was the 7th and final game.  I could not watch it without subscribing to some service because it was not a home game.  Luckily, someone told me how to see it for free via something on the internet.  I was irritated but happy I could at least watch it only to discover that it would keep disappearing and I'd have to search for it again and again.  I was still happy I could at least watch it. I live in Milwaukee.  It was the Milwaukee Bucks and I could not watch the game without paying to subscribe.  I wish they would do the same here as they are for you with Cricket.

I watched Spain beat Iran earlier today.   Was it me or were some of those guys playing any and all physical contact from an opposing player to the hilt?  I heard the announcers say that it was part strategy to control the clock?  Am I missing something?  Also, your announcers are not annoying as ours are, at least for football.  I have to turn down the volume for many of our football games. Perhaps it is me getting acquainted with all of this?  Professional NFL announcers are a major irritation for most American football fans.  Yours seem so polite.  

It's exciting.  I even yelled at my TV today.  I've only done that for the Green Bay Packers, yet today I did it for Spain.  I'm very pleasantly surprised that I can see all of this for free.  I assumed I'd have no access without subscribing to something yet there it is, every day, on a major network for free.  Nice!.

8 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I even yelled at my TV today.

Welcome to my world 🤣🤣

17 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I have waited for four decades to see the Milwaukee Bucks be a good basketball team again.  We were in the playoffs.  It was the 7th and final game.  I could not watch it without subscribing to some service because it was not a home game.  Luckily, someone told me how to see it for free via something on the internet.  I was irritated but happy I could at least watch it only to discover that it would keep disappearing and I'd have to search for it again and again.  I was still happy I could at least watch it. I live in Milwaukee.  It was the Milwaukee Bucks and I could not watch the game without paying to subscribe.  I wish they would do the same here as they are for you with Cricket.

I watched Spain beat Iran earlier today.   Was it me or were some of those guys playing any and all physical contact from an opposing player to the hilt?  I heard the announcers say that it was part strategy to control the clock?  Am I missing something?  Also, your announcers are not annoying as ours are, at least for football.  I have to turn down the volume for many of our football games. Perhaps it is me getting acquainted with all of this?  Professional NFL announcers are a major irritation for most American football fans.  Yours seem so polite.  

It's exciting.  I even yelled at my TV today.  I've only done that for the Green Bay Packers, yet today I did it for Spain.  I'm very pleasantly surprised that I can see all of this for free.  I assumed I'd have no access without subscribing to something yet there it is, every day, on a major network for free.  Nice!.

Yep, unfortunately there a lot of players who will dive at the slightest bit of contact (or even when there isn't any contact). It's annoying - and the referees do have the power to give yellow cards for diving (or "simulation" as it's officially called), but they seem reluctant to do so :( Partly they're time-wasting, but also trying to make the tackles look bad to try and get opposition players booked or sent off.

It is embarrassing seeing some of the players going down as if they've been shot when they've been tackled fair and square. In England, I believe we can retrospectively use video evidence to punish players for diving, but again, it's not something that's used very often. If it was enforced properly, the rolling around would soon stop, but refs seem to sometimes be intimidated by the players - especially when it's a big-name player like Ronaldo. 

So, who will win?

If I was a betting man I’d say Belgium.

49 minutes ago, padawanbeck84 said:

Yep, unfortunately there a lot of players who will dive at the slightest bit of contact (or even when there isn't any contact). It's annoying - and the referees do have the power to give yellow cards for diving (or "simulation" as it's officially called), but they seem reluctant to do so :( Partly they're time-wasting, but also trying to make the tackles look bad to try and get opposition players booked or sent off.

It is embarrassing seeing some of the players going down as if they've been shot when they've been tackled fair and square. In England, I believe we can retrospectively use video evidence to punish players for diving, but again, it's not something that's used very often. If it was enforced properly, the rolling around would soon stop, but refs seem to sometimes be intimidated by the players - especially when it's a big-name player like Ronaldo. 

Thanks, @padawanbeck84.  Pardon my rant about the Milwaukee Bucks.  I realized it was off topic after the fact.  I just watched Peru get defeated by France.  It's hard to see them leave the field in tears even though someone has to lose.