Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xrayjets

The World Cup Thread

4 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Turnips 2 Swedes 0. Do I not like That?No! England have far exceeded expectations, have a likeable manager, and whilst I don’t think are better than France or Belgium,  have every chance of Winning this. Well done boys , whatever happens from now on you have done England (and those of us is the rest of the U.K. who aren’t Anyone but England types) Proud.

Well said. Before this tournament, I'd have been happy with us reaching the knock-out stages or quarter final. This afternoon, I couldn't believe the result. England. In a World Cup semi-final. 

I was 6 years old when Italia 90 happened and can't remember it. The first World Cup I properly remember and took any interest in was USA 94, when England weren't there. I've never seen us get this far in a World Cup before. Southgate has done a great job. 

And well done Croatia too. ITV have Slaven Bilic as one of their pundit team - his nerves must have been shredded during that shoot-out! 

OK... we lost, tomorrow is a new day 😁

Maybe football just might got be coming home...

I'm old enough that I have the original CD single of Three Lions - but I'm scared to play it in case I jinx them :lol:

10 hours ago, pollyanna said:

OK... we lost, tomorrow is a new day 😁

Exactly Pollyanna! The fact that football brings the world together should be celebrated. Give it your best shot and leave with your head held high. Football should never be an outlet for violence or racism

sweden have been amazing. You all should be proud of them!

1 hour ago, doctornickriviera said:

Football should never be an outlet for violence or racism

Right on, brother 👍

This is my first following a World Cup.  It's so much more than I realized.  

2 hours ago, Manohlive said:

This is my first following a World Cup.  It's so much more than I realized.  

WOW !!! How on eaarth is that possible???

23 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Exactly Pollyanna! The fact that football brings the world together should be celebrated. Give it your best shot and leave with your head held high. Football should never be an outlet for violence or racism

sweden have been amazing. You all should be proud of them!

Thank you :wub: I'm actually Icelandic and the Icelandic team and fans have been amazing, even though it didn't go so well this time........(I'm Swedish too so that's my second team :))

42 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

Ok so are you Pollyannasdottir?

😂 If my mothers name was Pollyanna.... then that could be my name, but my fathers first name is Valdimar so I’m Valdimarsdottir  👍

On 7/8/2018 at 9:37 AM, padawanbeck84 said:

I'm old enough that I have the original CD single of Three Lions - but I'm scared to play it in case I jinx them :lol:

I still have the 1982 World Cup song on 7inch vinyl!  That was the first World Cup I remember - Kevin Keegan, Viv Anderson, Steve Coppell, Glen Hoddell ...and lots of others I don’t remember.  I know the words off by heart 😂., 

11 hours ago, pollyanna said:

😂 If my mothers name was Pollyanna.... then that could be my name, but my fathers first name is Valdimar so I’m Valdimarsdottir  👍

Aaaah got it now I blame Gylfi and Bjork

59 minutes ago, Heather S said:

I still have the 1982 World Cup song on 7inch vinyl!  That was the first World Cup I remember - Kevin Keegan, Viv Anderson, Steve Coppell, Glen Hoddell ...and lots of others I don’t remember.  I know the words off by heart 😂., 

My favorite World Cup song:

If you're not sure why...some info on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Put_'Em_Under_Pressure

No love for New Order?

I can remember the very first time I ever saw football. I was a young whipper snapper growing up in a very small town in Australia where Rugby League was the only sport.

And I mean the only sport. Period. 

The highlights of the 1978 World Cup final came on tv, in colour too. And I was hooked. Instantly.

6 hours ago, xrayjets said:

How can you go past Ricky Martin !

Another one of my favourites - and the song that helped get me into Ricky's music (along with Vida Loca obviously) :)  

allez.png

20 years Ago in PARIS ............

15117503.jpg

On 7/9/2018 at 4:20 AM, pollyanna said:

WOW !!! How on eaarth is that possible???

When you spent part of your childhood literally living in the shadow of Lambeau Field-it's possible.  Green Bay, Wisconsin is one place on earth where it's possible. I now realize the World Cup is much, much larger than I had known.  I was once in Madrid when it was happening.  I could not understand the chaos it caused.  I was a pup.  I hung out and watched the games. Once the people realized I spoke fluent Spanish, I was handed red wine and it kept flowing.  I'm not a big drinker.  It does not take much.  I stumbled back to my room before the games were even over.  I did not learn.  Now I understand. This has been a very cool awakening.  

20 hours ago, mich40 said:

My favorite World Cup song:

If you're not sure why...some info on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Put_'Em_Under_Pressure

😂😂😂😂 II remember this sh***e.  Weren’t  U2 involved in this? Is that why it’s your fave?  I like thecheesy music.  “We’re all part of Jackies army... la la la la.”  You can’t beat the World Cup songs can you.  They don’t seem to do them anymore. Big shame.

8 hours ago, xrayjets said:

And I mean the only sport. Period. 

Pollyanna-this is what I was trying to say about Lambeau and Green Bay and the Packers.  It is the only sport, however; I was being a dumb dumb and not looking at a larger world.  I'll take this over the NFL any day.  I cannot abandon my Green Bay Packers.  Now that I've become enlightened, am I allowed both?  😎

First half of France vs Belgium just finished on TV by me.  I see a +1 in a red box, to the right of the score.  Does this mean one minute has been added, due to time lost?   

5 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

First half of France vs Belgium just finished on TV by me.  I see a +1 in a red box, to the right of the score.  Does this mean one minute has been added, due to time lost?   

Yes mate, 1 minute of injury time