Sign in to follow this  
Max Tsukino

Philadelphia Live Thread #U2eiTour

Thanks for joining us tonight.  Next stop is Washington DC on Sunday.  Good night!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

U2 eXPERIENCE + INNOCENCE TOUR 2018

June 14, 2018 Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center

#U2eiTour #LiveThreads #Philadephia #U2 #womenoftheworldtakeover

1. Love Is All We Have Left
  2. The Blackout
  3. Lights of Home
  4. I Will Follow
  5. All Because of You
  6. Beautiful Day / Drowning Man (snippet)
  7. The Ocean
  8. Iris (Hold Me Close)
  9. Cedarwood Road
  10. Sunday Bloody Sunday
  11. Until The End Of the World

iNTERMISSION: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

12. Elevation (Influx Mix)
  13. Vertigo / All These Things That I've Done (snippet)
  14. Desire
  15. Acrobat
  16. You're The Best Thing About Me
  17. Staring at The Sun
  18. Pride (In the Name of Love)
  19. Get Out Of Own Way
  20. American Soul
  21. City of Blinding Lights

iNTERMISSION: #womenoftheworldtakeover

22. One / Invisible (snippet)
  23. Love is Bigger Than Anything in its Way
  24. 13 (There is a Light)

Sources: mixlr.com/u2philly_db/ | mixlr.com/michelle-king/ | mixlr.com/julie-lovesu2/ | Several Periscope Streams | http://u2gigs.com

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2018 at 9:11 PM, Max Tsukino said:

Wow.  What a beautiful picture.  I could not see this when I saw the shows.  It makes the whole/narrative make even more sense with Max's previous comment about this transitioning into Pride  I am assuming it is Staring At The Sun..   Thanks for posting.   

Ahhhhh...well, tonight was much better to and from the show - last night, bizarre amount of traffic going down and a grand experiment of inertia coming back (2+ hours in total); tonight, easy going down, even easier going back (barely over an hour from leaving the floor of the arena to being home). The moral of the story: if there is a baseball game on the same night as a concert, plan very, very carefully in advance...

I'll write more about both shows when I have rested up a bit. I'm tired, but very, very happy. :D

Also, I have an appeal for those who snapped pictures at either show, but especially tonight (i.e., Thursday) because I know for a fact that more were taken. If you look earlier in the thread, you'll find someone who went full-blown MacPhisto. On both nights, The Fly also made an appearance because...that was my outfit. B) The number of extended looks in the GA line outside the arena, on the floor in the arena, and even from the band during both shows, I lost count of. Tonight people went out of their way to take photos of me and even with me. So, the evidence is out there on FB, Twitter, and/or Instagram. (I'm not on any them - sorry, I'm not the biggest fan of social media).

Adam, and I'm pretty certain Bono as well, definitely noticed me yesterday (Wednesday) and grinned (I was in front of the main stage right in front of him). Tonight, The Edge, and Adam again, noticed me, and I swear even Larry made eye-contact with me twice during "Desire" (I was essentially on the rail on the e-stage tonight (Thursday)) - Bono saw me too, but chose not to linger (he must be tired of Fly-impersonators). :lol:

So, if anyone comes across a picture of The Fly from the June 14 show in Philly (or the 13th) anywhere, please let me/us know. Thank you! :Achtung_Baby_14:

(A review of shows is coming, I promise!)

• Like 3

Ahhh darned work was so busy with all the IVs and charting no way to take a break and check in here! Boo! Thank heavens for fan videos and all the mods who post here! 

13 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

ha, I kept seeing that guy.  I didn't realize Brandon got that old, with the white beard and all....

On 6/14/2018 at 9:59 PM, Max Tsukino said:

Would this be in the Red Zone?  Anyone know?  I'm curious where Brandon Flowers would stand while watching U2.  Someone was sitting two rows behind George Lucas at one show.  It's nice they can watch and not be bothered..  It's shocking to think it's now been 15 years since Hot Fuss was released.. They still played videos on MTV, albeit only certain hours of the day and night. Mr. Brightside was in heavy duty rotation. There's almost always been someone famous in the house when I've seen U2 shows.  Bono has given shout outs every time

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

Pictures are coming - I had many from the last two days. For some reason, I can't get them to upload here.

Fear not - powerful forces are at work and the images will make it here soon. B)

Adding for @dmway.  Some of his photos from the Philly shows. 

DFFCA62C-1F7C-485C-97E9-9131089ACE1C.jpeg

3A418562-42CE-49F5-9312-490D692D0CB0.jpeg

9BEC0BBA-8F99-4492-BDDC-A0FA1C3CD862.jpeg

85763FA7-8016-4563-90AF-9E01674F1982.jpeg

E391EF59-3021-4492-BD38-C2C801928462.jpeg

AB83530C-FD89-4397-8770-5CDD106D05EE.jpeg

F914924E-3DFF-4CCC-95ED-A19BC0ECA1DF.jpeg

96051F06-1FAC-400E-B596-31DFFD8CF9CA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK - first, thanks again, Mich, for posting a very good selection of my photos - once I regain the ability to post photos on my own, I will add more. (I want to get this review written before everyone properly turns their attention to DC tonight).

Wednesday (06/13) - as I said in a post earlier in the thread, I was positioned on the right-side of the stage in front of Adam, right on the rail for the Red Zone, but still in the regular GA section - this afforded me an excellent view of both the main stage (only two layers of people in front of me) and the video screen (if you are yet to see the show, please consider this an endorsement of the view from such a spot - two of the mods earlier in the thread concurred with this opinion).

As I said earlier, I met an older lady originally from the South side of Dublin (who moved to the Philadelphia area 50 years ago, and yet has still kept her lovely Irish brogue) who wrote her origin on a sign for the band to read - Adam definitely caught sight of it (and acknowledged with a smile); he also acknowledged my appearance with a grin (yes - I had a visual element that attracted attention - not only from Adam, but also from Bono and from individuals in the crowd up close and further away, both inside the arena and outside - that's described above B)). We talked about music, travel, and...wait for it...whiskey! :lol: I related my adoration for Connemara and she confided that she preferred American whiskey, but she still drank Bushmills when she went back to Dublin. One of the best things about a U2 crowd is that you can end up talking to someone you would almost certainly never meet in different context and talk about anything, not just U2 (but of course they feature highly too).

If you look above, you can see which pictures were from the first show (they are the ones that don't have the e-stage in them) - I will post the rest when I have regained the ability to do so. Before the show, I bought the t-shirt with the bullhorn on it (as soon as I saw that design in the pictures from Tulsa, I knew right then I was having the Philly version when they got here). However, that presented a conundrum - I'm in GA; I don't want to carry a bag around or place it on the floor. Instant brainwave - as Larry played a stripper beat, I surreptitiously undid my belt, put the belt through the bag's handle, and refastened it. It worked like a charm! Moral of the story: if you are a guy in GA and want swag from the show, it can be very useful to wear a belt. (This would work for women as well, but I find that women tend to be more ingenious and show proper forethought before going to a show and, thus, already have other options in advance. This was something I came up with on the fly (pun partially intended)... ;))

The show was great start to finish - we got "Gloria". I wrote about more from the show earlier, but I didn't get to this tidbit. At the end of "At The End Of The World" (sounds redundant, but isn't), papers fell from the ceiling, and I managed to catch one. The one I got was the end of Psalm 100 and the beginning of Psalm 101 (from "The Message" translation). It featured my name in it, so catching it felt predestined. (I'll photograph it if anyone would like to see it (and regain the ability to post photos).)

After "13" finished playing, and the Talking Heads serenaded us out, I got to my car as quickly as possible with shouts of "Bono!" hurled at me by the mass of humanity heading to their cars (I still had my Fly goggles on), then proceeded not to move for an hour...the rest I already talked about.

(Break for (a very) late lunch - Thursday next when I return...)

Part 2!

Thursday (06/14) - This time I got there earlier (i.e., when I intended to yesterday before traffic intervened), soon enough to be wristbanded. (Thank you to whoever took it upon himself to do that; also, credit must be given to the Wells Fargo Center staff on Thursday as well - they came out early while we were lining up, checked and marked our GA tickets, and wristbanded us for floor access even before the doors officially opened. That made the security check process once the doors opened an absolute breeze.)

Tonight the e-stage was my position. If you look at some of the pictures above, you'll see I was at the 3 o'clock position, if the walkway adjoining the e-stage is reckoned as 12 o'clock, only one layer of humanity back of the rail - thus, The Edge features in my photos and general view tonight (never a bad thing). (I also described already how I attracted attention with my attire above, so I won't reiterate that here.) Same setlist, except for "All Because Of You" in place of "Gloria" - the song after "I Will Follow" seems to be the place for the "wildcard song of the night", so to speak. There are certain seasoned veterans of U2's albums and tours who might describe this song's selection tonight as a disappointment, but I'm not one of them (despite being such a seasoned veteran) - I love HTDAAB, and I really like this song. I think it was Peter Ferris on the message board here who said that the lyrics of this song seem to accurately describe Bono's gratitude for getting through whatever difficulties he face a year and a half ago - I agree. This was his "thank you" to the powers that be.

During "Until The End Of The World", Bono's presentation was much more elaborate - he had many more books on e-stage to manipulate. He really tore up a book with aplomb and threw the pages wildly around - someone right behind me got a handful of the pages. I wish I had asked for one because I was quite curious what book would have deserved such a shredding at the hands of Bono. He also seemed to have been reciting some kind of ritual or liturgy at the 6 o'clock position - I couldn't make it out.

For the two shows I have seen so far, I have to say that I found the section when he is looking into his mirror and simulating a phone call home to be very touching. I bet what he says on-stage is not too far removed from what he actually says to his family while on tour - one detail that stood out to me was that he was pretend-teasing one of his sons for specializing in Art History at school. I wonder if that is actually true. If so, that makes the section all the more poignant.

Tonight it has to be mentioned, unfortunately, that the demon of tour fatigue is visiting upon Bono. This is not unexpected - they are about 2/3 - 3/4 through the tour, and he has been singing now for 6 of the last 10 days. Add the passionate performance he gave two days before the Philly shows, and one understands why Thursday was a tough day for him. He had the crowd help out on vocals a bit more than last night, and the higher notes in many songs were definitely not on the menu. The good thing is that Bono with tour fatigue is still better that 99.9% of singers without tour fatigue. So, he was still impressive. I was also very glad that he was getting an extra day of rest before the start of the DC shows.

OH! I almost forgot! Other people have mentioned it at earlier shows, but "Pride" this time around is really good - a true highlight! I felt that way both shows. Adam's bass line has a lot more pop and grit in it this time, also the tone on The Edge's guitar is...well...edgier - the song has a vibrancy this time around that it hasn't had for a few tours. Also, the band are all spread out: Larry on the main stage, Bono on the e-stage, Adam and The Edge across from one another on risers (and give many a thrill as they walk through the crowd to get to them) - thus, those in the regular seats on the sides of the arena get a close-up of The Edge or Adam. I don't think it would be out of place to say that they are arrayed in a cross shape while the video tribute to Dr. King is on the main screens.

I also want to compliment the band for how much they go out of their way to help everyone in the crowd be part of the show. They have outdone themselves yet again on this SOE tour. They always come up with surprises that work. They revolutionized the stage show with ZooTV, but they deserve even more praise from the Elevation tour onward - that's when all seating on the floor became GA, and they made sure that each tour had its own distinct visual identity. When I think back on each tour, every tour was great and every tour was unique - not just because they had new material, but also the way they revisited songs for each tour in a rearranged fashion. For example, on the tours where they played "Mysterious Ways", check out how differently they were played on each tour from Elevation onward - the same with "The Fly". Of course, those two aren't being played this time around, but they performed their magic on "Pride" this time. I am always impressed how they make each tour special.

I also appreciate the generous selection from SOE - this album deserves this prominence in the setlist. "The Blackout", for example, is absolutely awesome live - I hope it sticks around in future setlists. I'm already looking forward to the DVD/BluRay.

OK - it seems that my posting limit is a bit higher now, so I may be able to put in a picture or two here - starting with Wednesday photos not already posted:

IMG_0418.JPG

Unfortunately, my limit was raised only enough for one photo per post maximum (and only sometimes). :rolleyes: 

Well, I was going to post more, but all of the other photos are allegedly too big - I don't know why because it posted the one above and the other ones are the same size.

Perhaps more later...(?)

18 minutes ago, dmway said:

Unfortunately, my limit was raised only enough for one photo per post maximum (and only sometimes). :rolleyes: 

Well, I was going to post more, but all of the other photos are allegedly too big - I don't know why because it posted the one above and the other ones are the same size.

Perhaps more later...(?)

your best option might be to resize them... it's not complicated and it will benefit you and the board (since it doesn't have to "decode" big files).

If you need pointers on software and such, PM me...

38 minutes ago, Max Tsukino said:

your best option might be to resize them... it's not complicated and it will benefit you and the board (since it doesn't have to "decode" big files).

If you need pointers on software and such, PM me...

I think I figured it out, Max - thanks! :)

I like this one because the lightbulb looks like a UFO...

IMG_0454.JPG

OK - I have a few more, but I'm going to wait until after the DC shows are over to post them (some are really good, but are just barely too big to post).

The review to accompany the pictures is above in many parts. :lol: Enjoy!

On 6/14/2018 at 9:14 AM, dmway said:

Also, I don't know if this was the case for the other cities, but this specific shirt seems to run small.

I normally wear a large, but, in close consultation with the vendor, we agreed that XL would probably be better for me - she was right. A regular large would have been a bit too snug.

Did anyone else make the same observation?

Thanks for the info about the shirts. Sadly, by the time I arrived, they only had small and mediums left, and I wanted an XL (well, I was getting an L, until reading about your experience).

I can't complain too much, as I got into the venue for the first time at like 8:20, so just enough time to check merch, visit the boys room, and then get onto the floor right before they started playing. As per usual, showing up as late as humanly possible put me directly behind people who had been queuing all day and had numbers on their wrists in the middle of the walkway between both stages... I never bothered getting that close for i+e, so I figured I'd do it this time, and was ridiculously close to Edge and Larry at times. Fun night.

If anyone has an extra shirt, hit me up, or I'll just... forget about it, heh. 

IMG_3884.jpg

• Like 1