mcnabb5

Keeping One's Perspective in the GA Line

Recommended Posts

This is not a post that is going to reinvent the wheel. Any one who has spent any amount of time in the GA line will have had the same experiences. I was hoping that if folks do read this and may have lost their perspective of what being in GA is all about, then maybe they might find it in themselves to recalibrate a bit.

I just came back from DC #2. The GA line was run by a super nice guy named, Brad, and a host of others(including my brother, Tim) who were truly nice people. They decided to jump in and volunteer to handle night #2 after getting a crummy response from the guy who was running night #1, who unfortunately exemplified the worst element of the U2 GA line. Those who attend scads of shows and have deemed themselves the experts. He deliberately was evasive about plans for night 2 and actually said that Brad and company weren't fit to run the line as you need a "veteran" to do so. That is a GA code for "I want to be in charge and have a single digit on my hand." Thankfully he was ignored. This same man has run numerous lines I have been involved in and is just not a nice guy. Rude, bossy and friend-less.

Standing in the GA line is not a profession, it's a passion. It's about the camaraderie of spending time with fellow U2 travelers, sharing stories of shows you've been to and yes, wanting to get a great spot on the rail. But getting that spot on the rail shouldn't include forsaking your dignity and trampling others' in the process. The smiles and friendly interaction that give way to elbows on a stairwell and pushing someone out of the way to get a wristband. Seeing those same folks across the catwalk, singing along to songs about love, looking so saintly as the band goes up and down the arena leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If you are going to follow a band that talks a lot about respecting people and choosing to be compassionate towards your fellow man, well then a good place to practice is with your neighbors in line.

I will continue to enjoy going to U2 shows and being a part of the GA process. To the folks like Brad, Kevin, Jeff and Jaime who I have met over the years and have had great experiences while they were running a line, thank you. To those who seemingly have lost their perspective on what the GA line is all about, I hope you find it. For your sake and ours. All the best.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2018 at 11:19 AM, mcnabb5 said:

This is not a post that is going to reinvent the wheel. Any one who has spent any amount of time in the GA line will have had the same experiences. I was hoping that if folks do read this and may have lost their perspective of what being in GA is all about, then maybe they might find it in themselves to recalibrate a bit.

I just came back from DC #2. The GA line was run by a super nice guy named, Brad, and a host of others(including my brother, Tim) who were truly nice people. They decided to jump in and volunteer to handle night #2 after getting a crummy response from the guy who was running night #1, who unfortunately exemplified the worst element of the U2 GA line. Those who attend scads of shows and have deemed themselves the experts. He deliberately was evasive about plans for night 2 and actually said that Brad and company weren't fit to run the line as you need a "veteran" to do so. That is a GA code for "I want to be in charge and have a single digit on my hand." Thankfully he was ignored. This same man has run numerous lines I have been involved in and is just not a nice guy. Rude, bossy and friend-less.

Standing in the GA line is not a profession, it's a passion. It's about the camaraderie of spending time with fellow U2 travelers, sharing stories of shows you've been to and yes, wanting to get a great spot on the rail. But getting that spot on the rail shouldn't include forsaking your dignity and trampling others' in the process. The smiles and friendly interaction that give way to elbows on a stairwell and pushing someone out of the way to get a wristband. Seeing those same folks across the catwalk, singing along to songs about love, looking so saintly as the band goes up and down the arena leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If you are going to follow a band that talks a lot about respecting people and choosing to be compassionate towards your fellow man, well then a good place to practice is with your neighbors in line.

I will continue to enjoy going to U2 shows and being a part of the GA process. To the folks like Brad, Kevin, Jeff and Jaime who I have met over the years and have had great experiences while they were running a line, thank you. To those who seemingly have lost their perspective on what the GA line is all about, I hope you find it. For your sake and ours. All the best.

I agree.

I went to both shows in Philly in GA, and my experience was really nice. Now, the first night I got there MUCH later than I had intended, so my interaction with the line was quite limited, but the second night was flawless. I even have to praise the the Wells Fargo Center's team for distributing wristbands and checking tickets even before the doors officially opened - that made the security check-in process once the doors did open an absolute breeze.

I'm hoping that MSG, Newark, and Mohegan Sun will go as smoothly. There's no reason why it can't. (I'm only attending Newark so far, but I'm working on the other two. ;))

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I may have to look you up in Newark this week. I will be there with my brother, nephew and brother in law. Here's to a great GA experience this week! Thanks for the reply.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:35 PM, mcnabb5 said:

Well I may have to look you up in Newark this week. I will be there with my brother, nephew and brother in law. Here's to a great GA experience this week! Thanks for the reply.

mcnabb5, just a quick question for the unenlightened: who are these veterans who run the GA line? Here in the SF Bay Area (SAP Center in San Jose), the venue distributes wristbands. Everyone abides with how these work. Doors open around 6:00 pm and the staff instructs GA folks to return to the line by 4:00 pm. Between 4:00 and 6:00 the staff checks for wristbands and makes sure the line moving along in an orderly fashion. It is actually quite efficient.

What's up with the GA veteran guy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 504jumper said:

mcnabb5, just a quick question for the unenlightened: who are these veterans who run the GA line? Here in the SF Bay Area (SAP Center in San Jose), the venue distributes wristbands. Everyone abides with how these work. Doors open around 6:00 pm and the staff instructs GA folks to return to the line by 4:00 pm. Between 4:00 and 6:00 the staff checks for wristbands and makes sure the line moving along in an orderly fashion. It is actually quite efficient.

What's up with the GA veteran guy?

I'm not mcnabb5, but, as you see, I was talking with him above! :D

I just did the full GA ritual this time around - there seems to be a FB group that is dedicated to news for the GA fan-run lines. That's where these veterans are.

If you want the info for it, I can get you in touch with someone who knows all about it (I don't do FB myself - I'm not a big fan of social media; however, the person I was with had all the info well in advance - this person could tell you all about it if you wanted). Just let me know here or by PM, and I'll try to get you the info ASAP.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dmway said:

I'm not mcnabb5, but, as you see, I was talking with him above! :D

I just did the full GA ritual this time around - there seems to be a FB group that is dedicated to news for the GA fan-run lines. That's where these veterans are.

If you want the info for it, I can get you in touch with someone who knows all about it (I don't do FB myself - I'm not a big fan of social media; however, the person I was with had all the info well in advance - this person could tell you all about it if you wanted). Just let me know here or by PM, and I'll try to get you the info ASAP.

 

Thanks dmway, I don't need it. I was just curious about these bossy/rude folks who run the GA lines. I read about them before in these forums and just wondered what they were all about. Who gave these people that authority?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 504jumper said:

Thanks dmway, I don't need it. I was just curious about these bossy/rude folks who run the GA lines. I read about them before in these forums and just wondered what they were all about. Who gave these people that authority?

Oh, those who do it are only trying to be useful. There may be some in certain cities who may get too full of themselves. The ones who really know what they're doing always liase well with the arena/stadium staff - when it works, it's an efficient, symbiotic process. The lines I was in in Philly, Newark, and NYC were perfect - both those working the line and the venue staff themselves.

Sometimes it's the venue staff that are the problem - just ask GA veterans of last year's and this year's shows in Boston.

That one guy in DC above is the only one I have heard negative things about. My $0.02, FWIW...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for weighing in dmway. I agree with you. Most of the time the fan run GA line process ends up being a fun and fairly well organized process. Newark was brilliant. The venue security folks worked well with the fans and were quite complimentary about the process as a whole. They hit a home run on the major key to keeping the line sane by stressing that everyone will be organized by numerical order once through security. That tends to be where common decency can break down as folks get hung up in security lines. Some of my comments in that post were directed at people in general who are willing to run you over in the hallway to get a wristband ahead of you, or push ahead of others in line despite knowing they are just wrong. Venue security being clear is very helpful.

Sometimes the forum commentary is from fans who think that showing up at 8 am the day of the show will get them the first place in line. Well that's not how people operate. They along with a 300 other people who show up and want to be first. I have no problem with the fan run process and respecting people who can "do the time" in a line. A great spot in line is the reward for making the effort to be there for check ins, etc. It is a fun topic to talk about. We all have had our experiences, good and bad. Just part of the whole U2 journey, isn't it? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.