14 hours ago, dmway said:

My view was as good as Friday's - GA was very kind to me this tour.

IMG_0501.JPG

Fond memories of that place in 2015. Up in the rafters somewhere - a big moment in my life fitting in a U2 show on another continent whilst on a family holiday to US from Northern Ireland. I'll never forget it. Belfast a few months later was sublime though. It's a toss up between Belfast and New York as to where the bands 'second home' is?¬†ūüėé

• Like 3

I was up in the 200 level for MSG 3, and I really enjoyed getting to see a show from a vantage point where I could see both stages and the screen unobstructed, as well as a view of all of the lighting effects built into the stage floor.  I feel like on this particular tour (and the 2015 version), the band weren't really playing to the floor audience to the degree that they had in the past.  You could easily pick a spot where they'd be right in front of you for at least a song, but they weren't necessarily looking at you.  The eyelines just seemed different.  And that's not a good or bad thing, just an observation.  When I was on the floor with GA in 2015 and again this year, I didn't really feel like the band were connecting with the people in front of them, in the way I felt that connection on all of the other U2 tours I've seen.  Being in the upper level and seeing the big picture, I better understood the reason for that decision.  It really felt like they were playing to the whole room, and to the majority of the audience in the stands, more so than the minority on the floor.  As a result, I felt more energy sitting in the upper level than I do for most other acts from that distance.  It was actually pretty cool to be higher up but to still feel the band making an effort to connect to those who weren't immediately in front of them.

I guess it's a little late at this point, but if anyone is thinking about seeing one of the European shows and wondering if it's still worth doing without GA tickets, my answer would be a resounding yes.  My favorite spots to be in for The Joshua Tree, 360, Vertigo and Elevation tours were always right in front of the main stage (or as close as possible to it), but for these i&e/e&i outings, I really loved getting the full view.  I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it from the upper level.  At no point did I think "Damn, I wish I was on the floor" which is usually what happens when I'm in the upper level for a show.

I did not end up seated next to that person from MSG1 and MSG2.  That was the plus.  On the downside, this was the show I brought my wife to (she's not a big fan but indulges me by coming along to a single show), and she was seated next to possibly the worst person I've ever encountered at a U2 show.  There's no real polite way of saying it, but this guy was just a jerk.  He got progressively angrier as the show went on, to the point where it was necessary to go to security because those of us seated near him started worrying about our own safety.  He really became unbearable during the Staring At The Sun/Pride combo.  When Bono was talking about peace in Ireland, he started screaming at Bono that he was a traitor.  By the middle of Staring At The Sun, he just kept screaming "Go back to Ireland!" at him.  And then, when Pride began, he just started screaming "F--- you!" over and over and over and over, and that's when we got security involved.  Listen, I get that we don't all share the same politics, but at a certain point, I don't understand why you're paying to be offended.  If you don't like U2's politics and don't like hearing about them, don't go to a U2 show.  If you're offended that U2 didn't support the IRA, don't go to a U2 show.  And if you do go, be prepared to accept that not everyone will share your viewpoint, and find a way to express your opposition to the viewpoint being offered by the band with silence, not by shouting obscenities.  I've been seeing U2 for over twenty years, and while I've seen some people roll their eyes at Bono's speechifying, I never imagined that I'd be sitting next to someone who was cheering more for the bomb exploding than for song protesting the bombs.  After the show was over, my wife mentioned some of the other things he was saying during the show and I just felt so awful that she had to sit next to that.  Ever since we met, she's heard me talking about how U2 fans are a real community, and how we believe in being good to each other and stressing tolerance above all else in our collective political leanings, and instead she had to sit next to a guy screaming obscenities and racial slurs.  I apologize for ranting about this now, I'm just so shocked that it even happened.  It's one thing to have the person that I had at MSG1 and MSG2 who lacked some self-awareness and was a little bit rude and loud and obnoxious, but that MSG1/2 lady wasn't actually malicious.  This guy last night was.  And I also want to give credit to the security guard at MSG.  Once I spoke to the security guy, he positioned himself unobtrusively at the end of my row, and just stared at the racist troublemaker for the rest of the night.  And as soon as the guy saw that he was being watched, he shut up.

As to the show itself, it was great - just as good as MSG2.  I had a funny moment early on when "Red Flag Day" wasn't played.  The thing for me is, I love How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, and it had been more than a decade since I heard the band play a song from that album other than Vertigo and City Of Blinding Lights, so I was very cool with getting another performance of All Because Of You.  But it seemed like there was a split second where you could see the people in the GA section slightly deflating because it wasn't Red Flag Day or Gloria or something even rarer, and then a second later, it was almost like you could see a conscious decision of "I'm going to enjoy this song anyway even if it's not the one I wanted!"  But I, for one, am very happy that All Because Of You has come back this tour.

I really got choked up at the end of the performance.  By the end of Love Is Bigger..., I was getting a little teary-eyed.  It's such a beautiful song with such a beautiful message, and it has such a great sound to it.  And I was just a flat-out mess of waterworks during 13 (There Is A Light). 

For me, the best parts of E&I 2018 were the performances of the new songs.  I didn't like You're The Best Thing About Me, Get Out Of Your Own Way and American Soul on the album, but in concert, they were phenomenal.  The acoustic version of Best Thing was just gorgeous and I can't believe how much my opinion of that song has changed just from hearing a different arrangement.  I can't wait for a tour DVD to come out, and maybe they'll even throw a live recording of just that song out as a b-side or something down the road.  It's great.  If that acoustic version had been around a couple years ago when I got married, I would have loved to have incorporated it into my wedding somehow.  It's just so beautiful.

I've never seen a U2 tour before where the played so few songs between so many shows as they did on this one, but I have to say, it worked a lot better in person than I thought it would on paper.  And each and every new song was fantastic and well worth the price of admission.  The minor quibbles that I have might have just been that I would have liked to have heard even more new songs, and that I wish they would have given some of the songs that were played regularly on both I&E 2015 and JT2017 a rest this time around.  I don't want to say I was bored, but I was less wowed by something like Elevation this time around than I was in the past.  And I didn't need to see the exact same productions of Iris, Cedarwood Road, Sunday Bloody Sunday and Until The End Of The World as we saw in 2015.  But Love Is All We Have Left, The Blackout, Lights Of Home, You're The Best Thing About Me, Get Out Of Your Own Way, American Soul, Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way and 13 (There Is A Light) were all spectacular in concert, and they were the true highlights of the show for me.  It is a wonderful thing that the thing I was most excited for at a U2 show was not to hear their old songs but to hear their new songs.  That's the sign of a healthy band that's still creatively vital.  And I hope I never lose that feeling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I missed listening to the show in this live thread last night. 

52 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

I really got choked up at the end of the performance.  By the end of Love Is Bigger..., I was getting a little teary-eyed.  It's such a beautiful song with such a beautiful message, and it has such a great sound to it.  And I was just a flat-out mess of waterworks during 13 (There Is A Light). 

The first night I saw 13, right from the E stage, I had the same waterworks. So beautifully and tenderly staged.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dmway said:

OK - I am far too awake from tonight to go to sleep (insert appropriate line from "Bad" here)...

Those of you who were able to listen to the show know it was (to borrow a term I learned in the UK) a blinder. The thing is, it was the second blinder in a row: Newark was phenomenal; tonight's show was just microscopically better. I haven't seen every show on this tour, BUT, based on the five I did see (including tonight) and the prevailing theme about tonight's show from the conversations of those who saw earlier ones, I would have to at least nominate this one for "best of the tour".

Yes, of the four I saw - both Bostons, Newark, and MSG3, which were all phenomenal - this was hands-down the best. 

• Like 1

@vertigojds I cannot fathom the run of bad luck you have had with people around you during your shows. The timing of the worst "fan" being at the same show that you brought your wife to, I mean, what are the odds?

One of the things I am wholeheartedly impressed with, really from U2360 onward, is how egalitarian the shows have been, i.e., your observation that being physically close is not necessarily the "best" view and that they want to entertain everyone in the arena/stadium. Each tour, they do it a little better. This was the most all-inclusive the show has been, IMHO.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the shows despite "bastards trying to grind you down", as it were. The show is a moving one. I'm already missing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vertigojds said:

On the downside, this was the show I brought my wife to (she's not a big fan but indulges me by coming along to a single show), and she was seated next to possibly the worst person I've ever encountered at a U2 show.  There's no real polite way of saying it, but this guy was just a jerk.  He got progressively angrier as the show went on, to the point where it was necessary to go to security because those of us seated near him started worrying about our own safety.  He really became unbearable during the Staring At The Sun/Pride combo.  When Bono was talking about peace in Ireland, he started screaming at Bono that he was a traitor.  By the middle of Staring At The Sun, he just kept screaming "Go back to Ireland!" at him.  And then, when Pride began, he just started screaming "F--- you!" over and over and over and over, and that's when we got security involved.  Listen, I get that we don't all share the same politics, but at a certain point, I don't understand why you're paying to be offended.  If you don't like U2's politics and don't like hearing about them, don't go to a U2 show.  If you're offended that U2 didn't support the IRA, don't go to a U2 show.  And if you do go, be prepared to accept that not everyone will share your viewpoint, and find a way to express your opposition to the viewpoint being offered by the band with silence, not by shouting obscenities.  I've been seeing U2 for over twenty years, and while I've seen some people roll their eyes at Bono's speechifying, I never imagined that I'd be sitting next to someone who was cheering more for the bomb exploding than for song protesting the bombs.  After the show was over, my wife mentioned some of the other things he was saying during the show and I just felt so awful that she had to sit next to that.  Ever since we met, she's heard me talking about how U2 fans are a real community, and how we believe in being good to each other and stressing tolerance above all else in our collective political leanings, and instead she had to sit next to a guy screaming obscenities and racial slurs.  I apologize for ranting about this now, I'm just so shocked that it even happened.  It's one thing to have the person that I had at MSG1 and MSG2 who lacked some self-awareness and was a little bit rude and loud and obnoxious, but that MSG1/2 lady wasn't actually malicious.  This guy last night was.  And I also want to give credit to the security guard at MSG.  Once I spoke to the security guy, he positioned himself unobtrusively at the end of my row, and just stared at the racist troublemaker for the rest of the night.  And as soon as the guy saw that he was being watched, he shut up.

I am sorry you and your wife had that experience. I had almost the same exact experience at a Boston show in 2015. It was so upsetting and rattling.  I tried not to let it ruin my show but it was really hard.  

• Like 1

My favorite part of the E&I show is the last two songs - Love Is Bigger and 13. I got lucky in that the person last night left during One, so I got to enjoy my favorite part of the show in peace plus with some extra space. So I guess it works out in the end. 

My dad has joked that ever since I was a kid that I had an ‚Äúa‚ÄĒhole magnet‚ÄĚ on my back, because this always happens to me. Whether it‚Äôs a concert or a play or a movie, I‚Äôm almost always next to the jerk who won‚Äôt shut up.¬†

But im really trying to look at the bright side here. The show itself was phenomenal, my favorite part of it wasn’t disrupted at all, and security made sure no one got hurt. All things considered, it could have been a lot worse. 

That crowd chant after Love Is Bigger was incredible. I wish we could have tricked the band into playing the song again :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I missed listening to the show in this live thread last night. 

Well, be sure you're here for Uncasville tonight! Attendance will be taken! ;) :D

• Like 1

Alas, I must work in the evening so I can’t attend, but sending my best wishes to all who can. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

One more post on the show because there is a bit more to say about it. @JCF and I were pondering where to stand in advance of the show, and we had a difficult time fixing on one spot - walkway rail? e-stage? Main stage again? So many choices. (It was also difficult to think clearly because we were at risk of melting most of the day.) However, once we were admitted, the choice became clear - the siren song of main stage rail on Adam's side caressed our ears again. So, that where we were again. :)

There were many "regulars" in our midst as well. She knew several people whom she had met at the Boston shows, I recognized a couple people from Philadelphia, and we both recognized people with whom we had just seen the Newark show together just two days before. There were also new faces. The main one was meeting an Australian drummer who was currently living in California. Before the show, he just seemed like a meek and mild fellow - the key word here is "seemed". Once the show started, this guy was an absolute whirlwind of energy - frankly, he was the kind of fan who should be right up front, i.e., unmistakably, and very visibly, enthusiastic. :D He was/is a drummer and had been trying to get a stick from Larry for a very long time - no luck. (He even had clever signs - I can't remember the one he used tonight (perhaps JCF can remember), but he told us about a past sign: "Old man needs new stick." That made me laugh for a bit! :lol: I also thought that was clever enough to have earned a Mullen-employed stick, but no...)

Well, this guy was jumping up and down and singing at the top of his lungs all night! He even engaged me/us in something that I hadn't done in a long time: competitive shout-singing. Perhaps that's unfair, maybe "resounding collaborative singing" would be a nicer description. No - he sang in my face; thus, I sang in his. He loved it. It amused me after a while too. This carried on all show long - my voice has definitely gotten stronger the past 2 1/2 weeks; I wasn't even hoarse at the end! I think JCF was challenged in a similar fashion. Did I mention he had a lot of energy?

I also had this weird synchronistic thing happen during "Cedarwood Road". When The Edge started playing, I thought, "Ooooh! Edge's tone on this song tonight sounds really gritty!" The funny thing is that my thought came out of this other woman's mouth as I was thinking it. For a brief moment, I thought I might have mastered unintentional ventriloquism. But, the truth was simpler: we thought the same thing at the same time. (Edge's tone was especially good on this song tonight.) It's cool when people notice the same things at the same time - the appearance of connection in the crowd is more palpable when it happens.

The band was really up for the show tonight. That was obvious. For example, at the beginning of "The Blackout" (and all the way through too), Larry was just wailing on the drums. The snap and pop of the skins was deeply resonant. That song always sounds great, but tonight all night it was like the drums were in my ears. Bono was on all night. His MacPhisto was perfect and "Acrobat" was extra fiery as a result. If you looked at my pictures on the last page, he was his megaphonic self even without the megaphone; however, with the megaphone, he was downright heroic. Adam was full-blown rock god tonight - "Yes, I'm going to pound my bass and look awesome at the same time all night - as an extra treat, I'm going to make it look effortless. AND, I'm going to flirt with all the ladies - all at the same time (but especially with those by main stage rail ;))." The Edge's guitar playing had extra bite all night - "Acrobat" sounded like the album version on steroids; the same with "Desire".

I have also learned to really love the acoustic YTBTAM - it's the perfect antidote to the sonic and visual overload of "Acrobat". In fact, I find myself humming the live version to myself at odd moments of the day. Now, I still love the album version, but this version is really, really good. It's the same dichotomy that the live and studio versions of YKIGCIIDGCT had during U2360 - the studio version was great, but the live version was a real standout because it was so different from its studio counterpart.

Besides the new songs, the songs that sounded extra good were the AB songs - they just had so much life in them. You see why they stick around.

I'm also liking how they doubled down on "All Because Of You" - that's the song they think fits best in that part of the show. They tried a few others through the tour, but this is the one they keep returning to. Good on them. They have a message on this tour, and this song helps deliver it best in their view. Now, I like "Gloria", "The Electric Co.", and "Red Flag Day" (among the other assorted songs) just as much as everyone else does. But, "All Because Of You" is a very good track and it fits. Frankly, I'm pretty fond of most HTDAAB tracks, and this one is no exception.

The closing songs of each section are just right: UTEOTW, COBL, and 13 are just right to close each section. The transitions I look forward to every night (i.e., the HMTMKMKM video and the trippy "Elevation" beginning). These, of course, are general observations now for the whole tour; however, how much their forward planning succeeded really hit me tonight.

You know in advance that people like Patti Smith, Bruce Springsteen, and Michael Stipe will be in the crowd, but it's still a thrill when you get the confirmation that they are. Even more impressive to have the both the President and Taoiseach (i.e., Prime Minister) of Ireland in the house, as well as very many representatives from the UN.

Well, it was a special and touching night - as others have pointed out many times, the One/LIBTAIIW/13 ending is perfect, not only to end this show, but the concept behind this most recent pair of albums, almost like a full stop/period. I loved that they used Blake as a template for the last two albums, and that they did it so well.

One final thought occurred to me too: "Gee, that lightbulb from "Ultraviolet" has come a long way, hasn't it?"

Edited by dmway
  • Like 1

...and a P.S. to celebrate a week's passing since I saw one of the best U2 shows I have ever seen - in fact, the last two I saw were among their very best ever, IMHO.

I am so grateful that the band (and their team behind the scenes) designed and executed such an amazing tour. It is only a few days after the Mohegan Sun finale, and I already miss seeing/hearing this concert. As I already said in a previous post, I hope they set a record for how quickly they can bring a DVD/BluRay to market for this tour; I'll be pre-ordering the deluxe version (whatever it turns out to be) immediately.

Thank you, U2, for everything - please come back as soon as you can. 

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

2 hours ago, dmway said:

...and a P.S. to celebrate a week's passing since I saw one of the best U2 shows I have ever seen - in fact, the last two I saw were among their very best ever, IMHO

I've been going to see U2 for 30+ years and the Newark show stands out big time.

• Brilliant 1

Just now, CorkVegan said:

I've been going to see U2 for 30+ years and the Newark show stands out big time.

Yes - MSG 3 is only fractionally ahead in my mind. Newark was stellar.

• Upvote 1

...and thanks to the humble suggestions from kind and friendly folk, I have been able to track down this show for my listening pleasure! B)

The comment about The Edge's guitar sound during "Cedarwood Road" that was made by a woman standing near me (and also made in my own mind at the same time) still holds true - even on the recording his sound is awesome! I'm still on the first half of the show, but so far this listening delight is filling the void I have felt since the day after Uncasville (July 4, to be exact).

More later... :Zoo_Angel:

On 7/10/2018 at 2:38 PM, dmway said:

...and thanks to the humble suggestions from kind and friendly folk, I have been able to track down this show for my listening pleasure! B)

The comment about The Edge's guitar sound during "Cedarwood Road" that was made by a woman standing near me (and also made in my own mind at the same time) still holds true - even on the recording his sound is awesome! I'm still on the first half of the show, but so far this listening delight is filling the void I have felt since the day after Uncasville (July 4, to be exact).

More later... :Zoo_Angel:

...and a bit more, now that I have finally heard it all.

One of the sites that rates shows has said that the recording of this show is one of the best ever, and I have to concur. The band and audience were fully on for MSG 3, and the recording captures that. It is lovely to have a permanent reminder of such a wonderful concert.

A great show is coming your way soon, Europe! B)

Edited by dmway

On 7/8/2018 at 8:41 PM, dmway said:

I hope they set a record for how quickly they can bring a DVD/BluRay to market for this tour; I'll be pre-ordering the deluxe version (whatever it turns out to be) immediately.ÔĽŅ

Me too.  I can finally see all the visuals when they do.  I hope they do a docu segment about MacPhisto; how it was conceived and written; how it was produced; how they pulled it off night after night.  SOE is an amazing show.  I was up by the main stage.  I could not see the E stage.  I like that because they'll be new things for the European shows...if I can EVER get periscope to work.  arrgghhhh.    Really looking forward to more live shows.  Have they mentioned filing a BluRay?  Any speculation?  I've neither seen nor heard anything.  I badly want to see U2 at MSG...any show would be great.  The thought of U2 at MSG and seeing New York for the first time is a very pleasant one.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 11:55 PM, dmway said:

Well, be sure you're here for Uncasville tonight! Attendance will be taken! ;) :D

Missed that one too and it was going to be my first final night of the American leg show.  I was at other concert during these shows. It's all good.  Time for me first first show of the European leg when they return.  Now, if I can just figure out periscope....LOL.  I had no luck with any of the shows.   They were still a lot of fun.

Over the dream ! Over the reality.

The best week of my life ! Thanks U2 

A bit of Italy is with you

THANKS WORLD

large.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/16/2018 at 2:59 AM, 900 said:

Over the dream ! Over the reality.

The best week of my life ! Thanks U2 

A bit of Italy is with you

THANKS WORLD

large.jpg