Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bettydalton

What is your favorite U2 song outside the official U2 discography?

I would love to discover new U2 songs I hadnt heard of before. Songs that U2 or members of U2 took part in over the last decades, but which are NOT official U2 songs. U2 collaborated with numerous other artists on tribute albums over the last decades. U2 or individual U2 members also took part in several benefit projects. All these songs are out there, shattered across many different record labels, other artists works, movie soundtracks and several  benefit projects. ..

If there is one thing that truly makes me happy then it is the joy of discovering an old rare U2 studio or live recording I hadnt heard of yet!

What is your favorite U2 song  outside of the official U2 discography?  It can also be an individual U2 member like The Edge or Bono, Adam or Larry who contributed to a song or made a song by themselves. As long as it is NOT listed as an official U2 recording. For example The Edge made a wonderful soundtrack record called Captive. One track on it I would love to praise some more because it isnt known very well. Bono sang on lots of albums from other artists for example. Adam played bass on some other records. And I dont know very well what Larry has done. Surprise me and all of us U2 fans!

Let me start by telling you my about my choice as favorite U2 song  outside the official U2 discography:

"SWEET FIRE OF LOVE"

"ROBBIE ROBERTSON " on  the cd called  "ROBBIE ROBERTSON"

The year was 1987. And this cd by Robbie Robertson was released which featured 2 of my favorite artists (U2 and Peter Gabriel) and my one and only all time favorite producer Daniel Lanois. Robertson had friends that worked together with U2 and Gabriel. One thing lead to another and during the recording of the Joshua Tree album in 1986, Robbie Robertson visited Dublin during a hurricane, for which the lyrics of "Sweet Fire of Love" became the inspiration.  Robertson only had one guitar riff and these "hurricane" inspired lyrics. Add U2 to the mix and this beautiful song came to life.  Robertson and Bono together improvised a set of lyrics in the studio while the band played behind them, creating a 22-minute track that was edited into this powerful song called "Sweet Fire of Love". This song could easily have found a well deserved place on the Joshua Tree album. Because it has got the same strength and beauty as the other Joshua Tree songs. I always crank up the volume when I play this song "Sweet Fire of Love". I just love the power of it. Bono's voice is way out there. And so is Robertson's powerful voice. Just as a bonus I will also add  the song "Testimony"  by "Robbie Robertson", which is another U2 pearl on Robbie Robertson's album. Both songs are easily found on youtube. I will try to post a link later on...

I am curious about what would be your choice of your favorite U2 song outside the official U2 discography.

Testimony: Robbie Robertson wrote the song, but U2 played all the instruments and Bono's voice at the end is so powerful!

I like this thread idea!

I have two that leap to mind right away.

Bono recorded a Jimmie Rodgers song for a Jimmie Rodgers tribute album, and it was fantastic! It was/is called "Dreaming With Tears In My Eyes":

I also really like the version of "Tomorrow" that Bono and Adam recorded on their own for the "Common Ground"  compilation:

Oh! I love Sweet Fire of Love! I used to listen to that all the time!

I'd say my faves are The Ground Beneath Her Feet and In the Name of the Father

Satellite of Love

Not sure if they count but Electrical Storm and The Sweetest Thing are also two favorites.

Not sure if this one counts.  I have been listening to it recently:

I prefer Mr. Orbison's version:

Hmmm, once in a lifetime with Clannad

what was the song Bono did with Zucchero

My Favourite collaboration was the Single they released after the New Orleans flooding/hurricane. With Green Day. Cover of the Saints are Coming. I love that tune played full volume in the car. 

Wow. Your posts really made me  happy! Goosebumps all over. Thanks for posting everybody! What a thrill. Most of these songs I had never heard before. Feels like a new U2 release for me. There are more gems out there which I  havent heard of yet. I originally started this thread by asking for rare U2 studio recordings, but let's make this thread about all NOT official U2 songs (studio and live recordings) that are floating out there, scattered over so many different performances with different artists.

I am interested in ANY contribution of any of U2's band members including Larry and Adam.

There is one example that is one of my long time cherished favorites and that is a song for the soundtrack Captive which The Edge wrote and performed. I will try to  link it below, although last time around I didntn succeed in placing a youtube link.

Larry plays on this song and actually the majority of her Wrecking Ball album. The album was also produced by Daniel Lanois. 

Here's a video of a performance, 1992 or so, of Adam when he played with the traditional musician Sharon Shannon. Adam is interviewed at 2:30, and they all play at 5:43.  

On 7/10/2018 at 11:27 AM, mich40 said:

Larry plays on this song and actually the majority of her Wrecking Ball album. The album was also produced by Daniel Lanois. 

I have always loved Emmylou's music and voice.

On 7/10/2018 at 9:04 PM, JCF said:

Here's a video of a performance, 1992 or so, of Adam when he played with the traditional musician Sharon Shannon. Adam is interviewed at 2:30, and they all play at 5:43.  

I thought this was Freddie Fender.  I was trying to figure out how...talk about wasted days and nights.  To use another thread's title:  APPARENTLY, I should go to bed!   In all fairness...the title is Magarita only it's misspelled?  

I should have put this up during the world cup but better late than never.

The greatest world cup song ever.  Great times.  Great memories

OOH  AHH,  OOH AAH

Another (real) Late Late Show performance!

The Ballad of Ronnie Drew by Irish supergroup

14 minutes ago, cpp203 said:

Mercy

It is indeed a great song:

During 360 Tour they have been playing song called  Glastonbury, was it already mentioned