Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ThePete68

Recording Cologne 1987 Müngersdorfer Stadion

Hello out there,

I just wanted to ask if anyone here knows if there is an sound or video-recording of U2´s 1987 gig in Cologne, Müngersdorfer Stadion existing?

It was my first U2 concert and I would really love to delve into memories ...

Thank you very much in advance for your answer!

Here is an audio recording of the show on YouTube.

please remember that links to bootleg sites are not allowed. (but discussion about shows is allowed)

thanks

I was there because I did my military service in Cologne at the time. We walked from the barracks to the stadium. 

Thank you, Vertigo3333 -  you made my day. I was there in 1987, too. And when I look at the setlist and listen to the concert the first time now since then, I literally get tears in my eyes. Went there with 4 friends in a small car - big traffic jam on the highway to Cologne, but U2-Fans everywhere, open windows, people sitting on their cars , waving flags, singing together - enthusiastic people everywhere. At the entrance, our tickets were ripped in two parts by security and you only got handed back the smaller part of the ticket ... everyone was totally embarrassed about this, and I never experienced somthing like this before nor after until today (in fact, when I look at my "ticket-snippet, I still feel angry about this !) At the concert venue it was raining and big plastic covers were distributet to the people, so we crouched on the lawn quite a long time, still having fun despite of the weather. The Pretenders, Big Audio Dynamite and Lou Reed as supports - man, it took a long time, till U2 finally appeared on stage, I can tell you. When I read quite bad concert reviews today, I really can not understand why it was rated that bad - for me I felt it was the show of my life, and 60.000 people with me gave everything, singing, chanting "Bono, Bono, Bono!" all the time and having their time of their lives. "Bad" in the most impressive version I have heard until today:  it was extended, because people kept singing after the band had already finished the song, so Bono end Edge started playing it again! Then Bono hat a little accident with the headlights he was carrying during "Bullet the Blue Sky". But what will stay in my mind for the rest of my life, and this is my No1-concert-moment of all time, is: 60.000 people chanting "how long to sing this song" while leaving the Müngersdorfer Stadion, even 30 minutes after the band played the last tune of "40". Still gives me goosbumps when I think of it ...