Sign in to follow this  
Gogme United

Need any info on Amsterdam?

As always I will be happy to help my fellow U2-fans out on any questions you'll have about Amsterdam, where to go and how to get to the Ziggo Dome. 

For the people that have been here before: the public transport system has changed, there's a new metro (subway/underground) line and lots of trams have changed routes. Another thing to be aware of is that the Amsterdam ArenA, which is called Johan Cruijff ArenA now, hosts a football match on Sunday afternoon. That match starts at 16:45 and will end approximately at 18:30. So be aware that there will be a lot of people in and around the stadium when you are traveling to the Ziggo Dome (which is just besides the stadium). 

Questions? Need advice? Just ask. 

Edited by Gogme United

Hi Gogme United,

Thanks for this, great idea - will immediately extend this service to anyone going to Copenhagen :-)

Have been to Amsterdam a number of times but never Ziggo Dome. Unless it is raining cats and dogs I suppose bikes would be a good option going to and from the Arena? (being from Denmark we are used to biking)

Biking is always a good idea ? Ziggo Dome is located in a boring part of Amsterdam, but if you pick the right route the scenery around you is quite stunning. If you pick the short route it's about 20 minutes from U2's hotel to Ziggo. 

In fact Katy Perry did go to the Ziggo Dome by bike 'as Amsterdammers do'. The footage has removed from Instagram, but it was quite funny to see lots of paparazzi  and fans waiting for her while she was filming them from the back on her bike... 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 4:21 PM, Gogme United said:

As always I will be happy to help my fellow U2-fans out on any questions you'll have about Amsterdam, where to go and how to get to the Ziggo Dome. 

For the people that have been here before: the public transport system has changed, there's a new metro (subway/underground) line and lots of trams have changed routes. Another thing to be aware of is that the Amsterdam ArenA, which is called Johan Cruijff ArenA now, hosts a football match on Sunday afternoon. That match starts at 16:45 and will end approximately at 18:30. So be aware that there will be a lot of people in and around the stadium when you are traveling to the Ziggo Dome (which is just besides the stadium). 

Questions? Need advice? Just ask. 

Hi Gogme United

This will be my second time to Ziggo Dome with 1st visit during the 2015 concert. Could you advise where do the U2 fans generally go for Pre show and aftershow get together at a pub. Are there any particular pubs that are famous for U2 fans ? Also, is there any place in Amsterdam that sell U2 related souvenirs.

Also, could you confirm that U2's hotel is Amstel in Amsterdam and usually what time and which place would be great for the possibility of catching them in person. I'm a die hard fan from India and would love to meet them in person if there is a possibility of meeting them in front of their hotel for probably even a few seconds.

I'm not sure if U2 fans meet up, but normally the guys of U2Start.com organize thinks like these (they are Dutch). So check their website. There are plenty of pubs in Central Amsterdam, I'm not sure if there's one that attracts more U2 fans than other, but my guess would be O'Reilly's which is located at the back of the Royal Palace on Dam square. From there it's about 10 minutes walk to Central Station to get to the metro towards the venue. 

About the hotel, they normally stay at Amstel Hotel, I don't know what time they get out to go to the venue, just check Twitter and Instagram to see what time the leave at other cities. In Berlin they left the hotel at about 2pm. 

Hi Gogme United!

I will fly in to Amsterdam froM Sweden quite late on Sunday 7th and I guess I will be at the central station around 19:00. Is the metro the fastest way to get to Ziggo Dome – and if so: what line should I take? Do I buy metro tickets in advance or when I get there? Your answers are much appreciated! 

58 minutes ago, El Baudiñho said:

Hi Gogme United!

I will fly in to Amsterdam froM Sweden quite late on Sunday 7th and I guess I will be at the central station around 19:00. Is the metro the fastest way to get to Ziggo Dome – and if so: what line should I take? Do I buy metro tickets in advance or when I get there? Your answers are much appreciated! 

First of all, you can take a train directly to the Venue, the station you need is called Amsterdam Bijlmer/ArenA, it's 10 minutes walk (around the stadium) towards the Ziggo Dome. In the Ziggo Dome they have lockers to store your luggage, but be aware that if they aren't available anymore you cannot enter the venue. 

If you're traveling from Amsterdam Central station you can take the metro 54 to Bijlmer ArenA, it's about 20 minutes. Or you can take a train towards Bijlmer ArenA. 

About tickets: there are tickets available for both train into Amsterdam and public transport in Amsterdam for a number of days, you can choose. 

Useful links: https://www.ns.nl/en (Dutch railroads, or SJ as they're called in Sverige) and https://en.gvb.nl (Amsterdam public transport company)

48 minutes ago, Gogme United said:

First of all, you can take a train directly to the Venue, the station you need is called Amsterdam Bijlmer/ArenA, it's 10 minutes walk (around the stadium) towards the Ziggo Dome. In the Ziggo Dome they have lockers to store your luggage, but be aware that if they aren't available anymore you cannot enter the venue. 

If you're traveling from Amsterdam Central station you can take the metro 54 to Bijlmer ArenA, it's about 20 minutes. Or you can take a train towards Bijlmer ArenA. 

About tickets: there are tickets available for both train into Amsterdam and public transport in Amsterdam for a number of days, you can choose. 

Useful links: https://www.ns.nl/en (Dutch railroads, or SJ as they're called in Sverige) and https://en.gvb.nl (Amsterdam public transport company)

Brilliant! Thanks for your help, that will sort me out. And I'm impressed that you know Swedish and SJ as well. Great work! :) 

17 minutes ago, El Baudiñho said:

Brilliant! Thanks for your help, that will sort me out. And I'm impressed that you know Swedish and SJ as well. Great work! :) 

You're welcome. And well, I've got a Swedish girlfriend... 

On 9/1/2018 at 5:07 PM, Gogme United said:

I'm not sure if U2 fans meet up, but normally the guys of U2Start.com organize thinks like these (they are Dutch). So check their website. There are plenty of pubs in Central Amsterdam, I'm not sure if there's one that attracts more U2 fans than other, but my guess would be O'Reilly's which is located at the back of the Royal Palace on Dam square. From there it's about 10 minutes walk to Central Station to get to the metro towards the venue. 

About the hotel, they normally stay at Amstel Hotel, I don't know what time they get out to go to the venue, just check Twitter and Instagram to see what time the leave at other cities. In Berlin they left the hotel at about 2pm. 

Thank you for the information. Our last trip to Amsterdam was a bit hurried and we couldn't do many things. Would love to try cycling, Heineken Experience or maybe even Giethoorn day trip if it is worth the effort. Let us hope that we choose the right things. 

11 minutes ago, varunjay said:

Thank you for the information. Our last trip to Amsterdam was a bit hurried and we couldn't do many things. Would love to try cycling, Heineken Experience or maybe even Giethoorn day trip if it is worth the effort. Let us hope that we choose the right things. 

Giethoorn is quite far away, I think there's plenty to see and do around Amsterdam. Here's one insiders tip: take the ferry on the back of Central Station towards NDSM werf and you'll end up in a great area where a huge ship dock used to be. Now all kinds of nice restaurants and bars can be found, there's even a beach! 

Or take a train to Zandvoort, it's about half an hour to the beach. 

I'm so excited to be coming to Amsterdam - 1st time! I arrive early on Friday. .My first Q: how prevalent is uber in Amsterdam? Especially after the show/post-show parties? 

I usually stay clear of 'all in one' passes, but the multi-day transport card seems like a good thing as does the all-in-one Iamsterdam Card (with transport built in). I did the math!  (Remember, 1st-time visitor so some of what I want to see will add up) .Good idea? * I realize the train from airport is extra*

Was planning on taking that ferry .you mentioned above! 

.While I want to see all the major attractions, as a 1st-time visitor, I'm gathering a list of neighborhoods to walk thru and less-touristy things to see and do.!  I love to just walk and walk and explore!

25 minutes ago, sped said:

I'm so excited to be coming to Amsterdam - 1st time! I arrive early on Friday. .My first Q: how prevalent is uber in Amsterdam? Especially after the show/post-show parties? 

I usually stay clear of 'all in one' passes, but the multi-day transport card seems like a good thing as does the all-in-one Iamsterdam Card (with transport built in). I did the math!  (Remember, 1st-time visitor so some of what I want to see will add up) .Good idea? * I realize the train from airport is extra*

Was planning on taking that ferry .you mentioned above! 

.While I want to see all the major attractions, as a 1st-time visitor, I'm gathering a list of neighborhoods to walk thru and less-touristy things to see and do.!  I love to just walk and walk and explore!

Since I'm an inhabitant of Amsterdam and we are all ride our bicycles I don't have any knowledge about Uber, what I do know is that you guys have to be extra careful taking a taxi. A lot of taxi drivers are ok and are member of decent companies, but there's a lot that work on their own and try to rip their customers off. Never ever take a taxi on the airport that is offered to you by someone in the terminal, just take the official queue at the stand. 

The all-in-one transport card is really useful, maybe better than the I Amsterdam card, but that all depends on the number of museums and other attractions you're planning to visit. Like I said you can even buy a ticket including train to/from the airport, but you can buy a single ticket on the train station. 

If you love to walk and explore try to stay out of the city Centre and visit neighbourhoods like 'Oud-West' (where the 'Hallen' are), from there you can easily walk into the Vondelpark and discover Oud-Zuid (South). 

Finally: when planning to see a museum, especially the Anne Frank House, be aware of huge queues that can be avoided by pre booking. Just visit the website and check it out. 

Enjoy Amsterdam, I know I do ?