Sign in to follow this  
Max Tsukino

Berlin Live Thread #U2eiTour

We will add any additional official information to this thread as it is received. Please check back and send prayers and positive vibes to Bono.

• Like 6

Someone in a scope said it looked like Bono breathed in a lot of fog from fog machines. Did they have those on the US tour?  If that’s the cause at least it seems it would be relatively temporary.  

• Like 2

Late arriving for this thread - I'm on vacation/holiday right now.

Whatever the cause, fog machine and/or the vagaries of human existence, Bono will be back and stronger than ever. If the beneficent people of Germany were able to fix his back (some of the medical ones anyway), the positive vibes from the people of Berlin, of Germany, of Europe, and of all U2 fans everywhere will get him through.

I'm just very happy that there are stops in Germany later in the tour - that makes rescheduling this show a lot easier.

When I saw The Police reunion tour back in 2007/08, Sting lost his voice somewhat regularly (in fact, the show where I was supposed to see them originally in Philadelphia was one of the ones that was rescheduled due to his losing his voice). He got through that just fine, and, until U2360, that was the biggest grossing tour of all-time due to the countless shows they did.

All love to Bono and his angelic voice! :POP_Heart_02: (...and an honorary MacPhisto - I'm glad he available to be chosen :Euro_Machphisto:

• Like 1

Was watching footage of last night's show when I saw that tonight's show got axed. Hope Bono's okay and gets the rest he needs. Obviously I'm hoping he's alright for the rest of the tour and for London in a couple of months but completely understand if they have to make cancellations/postponements. Just hoping it's nothing serious. 

All that said, the show last night looked and sounded incredible. The new intro is fantastic. Super happy to have Red Flag Day back in the set and the other SOE songs sound better with each show. I'm sad to see Staring at the Sun get dropped but Summer of Love sounded excellent. I LOVE the new version of New Year's Day although nothing beats last year's Joshua Tree tour version as far as I'm concerned. All the other parts of the show still push exactly the right buttons. 

Great show last night, and hope Bono's okay.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mich40 said:

3 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

Could the U2 shop please make these available to buy for us? I'd buy that Berlin t-shirt and the postcards in a flash! You could offer both pretzel-loaded and pretzel-free versions too. ;)

• Like 1

If someone can get this message to the band/team:   the product "Ipolat", sold in Germany, is an herbal "miracle drug" for the voice, available at the nearest pharmacy.

Europe set list is better than US set list, thanks to the four song substitutions.  I hope it gets back on track (even though I won't be making it to Europe for any shows).

We're so sorry for tonight's cancellation.  Bono was in great form and great voice prior to the show and we were all looking forward to the second night in Berlin, but after a few songs, he suffered a complete loss of voice.

We don't know what has happened and we're taking medical advice.

As always, we appreciate our audience's understanding and all our fans' support in Berlin and those who travelled from afar. We will update you very soon.

Adam, Larry and Edge

https://www.u2.com/news/title/berlin

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Some footage from tonight. During The Blackout he sounded good, great even. 

Red Flag Day. At 0:23 you can see the exact moment he realises something's wrong, up to that point it's fine but when he attempts that high note his voice just goes. Props to the crowd for singing so loudly to a song that's less than a year old. 

Bono explains that he's lost his voice, so the band attempt Beautiful Day with a little help from the audience (seriously, if this is what all U2 audiences in Berlin are like I wanna go!). Afterwards he apologises to the crowd and explains they need to take a break so figure out what's up (and then 40 minutes later it's announced the show gets cancelled. 

Edited by peterferris8

Also, it's funny how the European legs of IE and EI both mirror each other not just in terms of the show, but that it's during these legs that shows ended up getting cancelled/postponed. ? There was that show in Stockholm on IE that got postponed because of a security breach, and obviously we all know about Paris.

15 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

Sure the last time he lost his voice was at the point in 1989/90

Yeah, Amsterdam '89 I think. But with that one they just cut the set short and skipped straight to 40, I don't think they've ever had to axe a gig this early in the show before.

• Brilliant 1

Wow. Couldn't listen live tonight as I was seeing a U2 tribute band (much fun!), but I was looking forward to catching up when I got home. I did not expect to find this! :/

I *really* hope it was just irritation from the smoke and he'll be fine in a few days...

• Like 1

Wow, that was hard to watch. Bono looked scared during Red Flag Day. I hope this is minor and temporary. My heart goes out to Bono, the band, and the entire arena full of fans.  

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

1 hour ago, JCF said:

Wow, that was hard to watch. Bono looked scared during Red Flag Day.

It must be a truly horrible feeling to be standing there and realize that your voice is going. Things like this happen occasionally but I really feel for Bono right now. He must think that he let people down.

On the plus side those audience members are in for a very special night when the band return to make things right. I'm certain that U2 will give that show their all.

• Like 1

Get well soon Bono!! I was there, Bono was really sorry. truly poignant to see his displeasure. 

Have to say I'm glad that they cancelled, seemed to be the right thing to do. Here's to a speedy recovery and a rescheduled show.

• Like 1

Seeing Bono standing there with his head in his hands at the end of Beautiful Day, with all sorts of things going through his mind , got me in the hurts, got a bit of grit in my eye or something......... Get well soon Bono and come back and kick ass!

• Like 2
  • Brilliant 1