Sign in to follow this  
willo66

Waving the EU flag

So you aren't going to go to gig because the Band "may" have a different view to you ?

What's wrong with EU flag?

There is nothing wrong with the EU flag , we voted to leave the EU in Britain so dont start waving it in the gigs over here, the crowd will be very divided and if they start waving the EU flag they may get a fair few people booing the fact. 

There is nothing wrong with different views i just dont want them rammed down my throat at a gig, ive read a fair few comments of fans over here who feel the same way. They are still an amazing live band and thats what i want to see, the guys rocking the place! I just find Bono's political speeches at gigs very off putting these days thats all. 

I don't think that you need to be overly concerned @willo66

The theme of the show is the band's journey from 1980 to here, so while politcs are touched upon the tour isn't any more political than is normal for U2. When politics are mentioned the focus is more on the voters than the politicians. It is a very much "up with people" vibe that encourages people to do better and be better regardless of who they vote for. 

I'm sure that you're going to have a good time in Manchester. Trust them, playing live is their strength. U2 has always exceeded my expectations and delivered a set that was better than I hoped for.

21 hours ago, willo66 said:

I have just read that they will be waving the EU flag at the coming European gigs. If this is the case I will be selling

my ticket for Manchester

I think that nobody cares that you will sell your ticket. Well, except the guy that will buy it - he will be very lucky, I am sure. It's the same as nobody in Europe cares about your Brexit anymore. It's your decision - do whatever you want. Exactly like U2 - they want to wave the EU flag. No matter what you, Farage or whoever from England think about it.

So, chill out. Or simply sell your ticket. At least you will make someone very happy ;)

And by the way, I don't mean to offend you. In that case I am just extremely honest about this situation.

Edited by perymason

5 hours ago, perymason said:

I think that nobody cares that you will sell your ticket. Well, except the guy that will buy it - he will be very lucky, I am sure. It's the same as nobody in Europe cares about your Brexit anymore. It's your decision - do whatever you want. Exactly like U2 - they want to wave the EU flag. No matter what you, Farage or whoever from England think about it.

So, chill out. Or simply sell your ticket. At least you will make someone very happy ;)

And by the way, I don't mean to offend you. In that case I am just extremely honest about this situation.

Its cool I appreciate your honesty, its all about opinions. I just don't think they should be waving it over here. I'm not racist or don't hate anything, its

just what I think. I know one thing it could do and that's divide the audience over here, but that's something they have thought about I guess.

16 hours ago, CorkVegan said:

I don't think that you need to be overly concerned @willo66

The theme of the show is the band's journey from 1980 to here, so while politcs are touched upon the tour isn't any more political than is normal for U2. When politics are mentioned the focus is more on the voters than the politicians. It is a very much "up with people" vibe that encourages people to do better and be better regardless of who they vote for. 

I'm sure that you're going to have a good time in Manchester. Trust them, playing live is their strength. U2 has always exceeded my expectations and delivered a set that was better than I hoped for.

I appreciate the comments, thanks I will take more thought into things before spouting off!!

• Like 1

In the big picture, in the 80's what was cool was the "white flag" as part of the mythos of representing "surrender". That authenticity.

I'm not a big fan of national flags other than sporting events. 

Not a fan of brexit, but the whole EU economy is not in my realm, & I'm skeptical of centralized governments. I understand the breakdown of participatory democracy, and the rise of fascism is a danger in our current political climate of our industrialized world. 

There is a certain responsibility to not be complacent. It's always a challenge to be inclusive in governing, and to be an individual participating in the democratic process without feeling overwhelmed.

Mass Media often leaves me feeling confused .

There's a great article Bono wrote. There's a link posted in the Berlin Live Thread. 

He's always up to something!

He says the idea of the EU needs to become a feeling. 

I see he is very involved in this process. I appreciate this.

I'm at the ground level of this, just living my day to day.

The show in America was quite political.  I was nervous about the American flag being used until I heard Bono say things that I believe  no matter where I might live;  love; help refugees; fight hatred; stop poverty; fight racism and bigotry; etc.  It's the same message that U2 have always had.

The flag was a small part of the actual show.  I didn't even notice the American flag in Chicago.  I was so into them that it didn't matter I was right by the stage both nights. I must have seen it but It didn't matter.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Brilliant 1

They pull it up as a backdrop for the band for 1 song. In Berlin on Friday, it was during New Year’s Day after the estage performance. 

I forgot to edit my comment above.  It should read as it now does with this added:  I know it's not America, however; we too are divided.

I wish I had remembered to completely edit my comment last night.  Pardon me.  

On 9/2/2018 at 10:01 PM, Manohlive said:

The show in America was quite political.  I was nervous about the American flag being used until I heard Bono say things that I believe  no matter where I might live;  love; help refugees; fight hatred; stop poverty; fight racism and bigotry; etc.  It's the same message that U2 have always had.

The flag was a small part of the actual show.  I didn't even notice the American flag in Chicago.  I was so into them that it didn't matter I was right by the stage both nights. I must have seen it but It didn't matter.

Oh yeah, the toxic climate as these underlying issues surface and are being challenged. The way people have been treated, especially refugees shows that cruel side of people & really question how the politics get their power.  The outpouring of compassion surely can out-equal that, and U2 definitely channels that energy. 

I'm a practical idealist, and I see U2 as realists, as they are so involved in the big picture. The videos are like a subconscious stream. It's interesting to see what collective images people attach to.

In meditation you clear all that stuff out as impressions as you cultivate compassion. The blank slate. See, there I go again with my idealism.

On 9/3/2018 at 9:30 AM, mich40 said:

They pull it up as a backdrop for the band for 1 song. In Berlin on Friday, it was during New Year’s Day after the estage performance. 

On 9/3/2018 at 1:22 PM, Manohlive said:

I forgot to edit my comment above.  It should read as it now does with this added:  I know it's not America, however; we too are divided.

I wish I had remembered to completely edit my comment last night.  Pardon me.  

Maybe US America can just join the EU. ☺

• Like 1

On 9/3/2018 at 8:30 AM, mich40 said:

There you have it-go get a beer, use the bathroom and go back into the venue after New Year's Day.  This show is well worth seeing.

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

There you have it-go get a beer, use the bathroom and go back into the venue after New Year's Day.  This show is well worth seeing.

Yeah, but then you'd miss the amazing new mix of New Year's Day...

The ? crown of Brigid.

Expanding our notion of equality. ?

On 9/5/2018 at 10:45 AM, hestia said:

Maybe US America can just join the EU. ☺

Just clarifying this is kind of an anamoly.

I mean a pass on the eurorail, & a thriving economy is good if you can make that mean sustainable in an economic & ecological way. We may see a big shift in the structure of the economy, so fortifying development with an ecologically sound perspective can help in keeping the economy stable. As much as leaders meet, discussing ideologies, there needs to be a plan which respects human rights as well. 

It's a complexity of de-industrialization. How to rebuild a holistic economy.  Being aware that the deindustrializatiin of war is a major mitigating factor.

Now I will stop, before I start sounding like Bono, (or McPhisto , for that matter.)

BTW the plastics in the Ocean & the water system is not good. Big government could be working together on this crisis, then maybe something to believe in...???????

I was at Hamburg last night and the show was incredible. If you don't want your Manchester ticket, I will happily take it. 

U2 has always let their views be known. You either agree or not but they are not about division. We all go for the music and it is our choice whether to let something we may have a different opinion on ruin a show. That is not U2's doing - that is our choice. The EU flag does feature as some nentioned but its under the theme of unity.  I have no doubt the Manchester show will be very poignant given what tragically happened there. No band does compassion better in places that need it - that is what they bring.  I was glad on the ietour they did not shy away from playing SBS or Raised by Wolves in Belfast (and Dublin). So I would expect the EU flag to feature. I hope you do go and have a great evening.

• Like 1

I appreciate the comments Cazza thanks, i just spouted off when i first heard about it thats all. Your comments make sense and you are spot on with what you said, cheers ?

On 10/4/2018 at 11:31 AM, Cazza said:

U2 has always let their views be known. You either agree or not but they are not about division. We all go for the music and it is our choice whether to let something we may have a different opinion on ruin a show. That is not U2's doing - that is our choice. The EU flag does feature as some nentioned but its under the theme of unity.  I have no doubt the Manchester show will be very poignant given what tragically happened there. No band does compassion better in places that need it - that is what they bring.  I was glad on the ietour they did not shy away from playing SBS or Raised by Wolves in Belfast (and Dublin). So I would expect the EU flag to feature. I hope you do go and have a great evening.

I agree with this 100%

For as long as I've been following U2 (since the late 80s), they've been vocal about their beliefs. If you're not into bands that express their opinions on world events, then U2 is not the band for you.

Boos and heckling from the audience sometimes happens when they disagree with the band's positions on these things. When I saw them in 2015, I was sat next to a bunch of knuckle-draggers who yelled abuse whenever Bono mentioned the need to behave humanely towards refugees. Still, they're entitled to that opinion I suppose, and they seemed to enjoy the gig otherwise. And there's absolutely no chance of U2 suddenly becoming a band that hides their views away.

Anyway, from last night's gig, I thought Bono's comments on the UK's membership of the EU was sensitive and restrained, and ostensibly focussed on unity rather than division. Only the most one-eyed, die-hard, intolerant xenophobe could reasonably take offence from his comments.

• Thanks 1
  • Brilliant 1

31 minutes ago, DaveyWavey said:

Anyway, from last night's gig, I thought Bono's comments on the UK's membership of the EU was sensitive and restrained, and ostensibly focussed on unity rather than division. Only the most one-eyed, die-hard, intolerant xenophobe could reasonably take offence from his comments.

I was there last night and I totally agree.

• Like 1