rikkealber

Do you need information on Copenhagen?

Just spotted a similar post in the Amsterdam group, and very much like the idea.

If you are traveling from out of town and need any advice or recommendations regarding the venue or Copenhagen in general, just let me know.

Hope you have some great days in Copenhagen with some for sure fantastic U2 concerts

• Like 2

Hi there. We are travelling on Weds 26th and arrive there about midday ish. Unfortunately not very mobile (but I’m gonna get there!) so I may well find myself not doing any sightseeing and just ending up getting a cab to the stadium on the Saturday.  I am travelling with my husband though and he will be out and about. We have a nice air B and B in Osterbro for 4 nights.  I’d love to be able to be well enough to get on a boat and do a boat trip - any recommendations with good companies and decent trips?.  I had a look on line seems there are a few.  I would be able to get a taxi to Nyhaven or somewhere (yes I know public transport is good but needs must at the moment).  I have visited Copenhagen before and loved it but it was about 10 years ago.  My husband would love to find some nice pubs to have a pint (nothing trendy - he’s not into that) - so any recommendations would be great.  Also some good places to eat - again not into trendy cuisine or top notch restaurants or anything like that.  I’ve heard it’s quite expensive but we wouldn’t be eating out every meal anyway - we aren’t penny pinching. I’d love to see some of the Thomas Danbo giants but don’t think we’ll be able to hire a car so not sure - maybe have to save that for some other time.  My husband is not necessarily one for museums and art galleries - he likes a local bar, a bit of people watching, a stroll around looking at the sights etc. He does like to go to a brewery when he is in a city and I have read mixed things about the Carlsberg brewery or carlsberg experience.  Anyway - anything you can throw in will be great and will help our planning!  Thank you kindly for posting.

Hi Heather,

Sorry to hear with the lack of mobility, but hopefully you will still be able to have a few great Copenhagen experiences (apart from U2 of course!).

Will start with the 'bad' news. The giants are in forest areas just outside Copenhagen, but they are far apart and not easily accessible by car. The concept is that the Giants are hidden and you go on a treasure hunt to find them.

For a boat tour, I would recommend to go to Nyhavn and take the Grand Tour with Canal Tours Copenhagen (Stromma) https://www.stromma.dk/kobenhavn/sightseeing/sightseeing-med-bad/grand-tour/ If you manage to do it on a sunny day, Nyhavn will also be perfect to sit and people watch and enjoy a beer before/after the boat ride. Would not recommend to eat there though, it is way to expensive compared to the quality of food.

You are rigth in the assumption that Denmark is expensive, it is one of the things I like about going abroad, it is almost always cheaper. The advantage is though, no need to worry about tipping, you should only do that if you get outstanding service, it is not a requirement or expected.

If you want to try something very Danish you should have lunch at Aamanns Etablissement on the border of Osterbro and inner city (small place hence reservation is recommended). They serve the traditional open faced sandwiches, you would usually drink beer and snaps to go with the food. Unless you are very hungry two pieces are enough and you only feel like a very light dinner. It is not cheap, but high quality https://www.aamanns.dk

For good food at a decent price I often use http://madklubben.dk/en/ . I would recommend 'Hanzo' or 'Alabama Social' as they are located by the lakes of Copenhagen, giving you a great view. If you feel like a coctail afterwards, they have 'Bar next door'.

Casual but good burgers can be found at https://www.halifax.dk/ they are located around the city, there is also one in Osterbro. My favorite is Zurich.

Close to the two restaurants by the lakes, you husband will also be able to find a small beer bar called Soernes Ølbar http://soernesoelbar.dk/ nothing fancy, but they know their beer.

If he wants a larger place Taphouse in inner city is a good place to try an extensive amount of different beers (from what I recall +50 tap beers at all times), but it does not have the same atmosphere as the smaller places but there will always be people, no matter what day of the week  https://taphouse.dk/

There a a number of Brewpubs in Copenhagen. One is Warpigs located in the old meatpacking district, now turned into restaurant and bar area http://warpigs.dk/ Do not go to Warpigs unless you really like meat and have to say the crowd is 'younger' and a little bit hipster... just as a warning when I read your post ;-)

Another brewpub is Norrebro Bryghus. I have not been for years, but it is one of the first brewpubs I remember (now the micro brewery thing is all over) http://www.noerrebrobryghus.dk/en

Final brewpub recommendation would be BRUS https://toolbeer.dk/locations/ also in Norrebro.

If you are into beer I do recommend a visit to Carlsberg, they did a renovation and upgrade of the tour a few years ago. I have never been overly impressed with the tour, but it might also be me not being a beer person ;-) From what I know none of the smaller indenpendent breweries does tours I am afraid.

If the weather is good you can also go to the lakes in the morning and have breakfast/brunch at either Original Coffee https://originalcoffee.dk/ or Lagkagehuset. It is a good place to sit and watch CPH everyday life  (if you are there early I will pass on my bike going to work ;-) )

Another place you can go is Torvehallerne https://torvehallernekbh.dk/ , where you find a variation of stalls of food, drinks, bakeries. It is always buzzing with life. It is located in the city centre and is open until 7pm.

Ok think that was a start ;-) Let me know if there are some things you would like more information about (I have not given that many tourist recommendations)  or if I need to suggest a couple of bars more.

Btw. no problem with the taxi to the Arena from Osterbro. Going from the airport, if you can cope on the day, take the metro to Norreport and then a taxi from there, it will save you quite a bit of money.

• Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 1

Wow.....this is amazing info. Thank you so much for putting this together.  I am sure we will try the Danish lunch you have suggested and the other places too.  My husband is off work tomorrow so we are going to look at all the places you have written down and see what we could book.  Sounds brilliant and I am really looking forward to it even if I can’t get out and about I’ll just get some taxis to places then save myself for U2.  I think we will do the giants another time.  This is great and I thank you again, a huge help to have some inside knowledge. With the very best of wishes to you.  If we are going to be going where you suggested I will post so you can wave to us from your bike! 

Hi, sadly for me, health is preventing my travel.  ?. I’m not thinking about it - I just have to let it go and look to better days.  Anyway, if you know anyone that wants a seated ticket, let me know.  I’ve posted on ticket page. My husband is looking forward to the brewpubs and we have marked all your suggestions on a map.  Best wishes.

8 hours ago, Heather S said:

Hi, sadly for me, health is preventing my travel.  ?. I’m not thinking about it - I just have to let it go and look to better days.  Anyway, if you know anyone that wants a seated ticket, let me know.  I’ve posted on ticket page. My husband is looking forward to the brewpubs and we have marked all your suggestions on a map.  Best wishes.

I'm sad to read this Heather S.   I admire your attitude.  It sucks to miss things due to health challenges.  I'm sorry this has happened to you.  I am sending good vibes into our universe in hopes those better days you are looking toward arrive soon.  May they be great weeks and months and years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I'm sad to read this Heather S.   I admire your attitude.  It sucks to miss things due to health challenges.  I'm sorry this has happened to you.  I am sending good vibes into our universe in hopes those better days you are looking toward arrive soon.  May they be great weeks and months and years.

Thank you that’s very kind.  I’m not sure how I’m going to get through it all.  Good vibes and kind thoughts needed indeed and gratefully received.  Thank you.

• Brilliant 1

Dear Heather,

So sorry to hear, but glad to see you are keeping up the good spirit. I am sure it will help get you though the current health issues, and ensure you get back to the better days soon - and more than ever ready to rock at another U2 concert.

Hope to see you somewhere around the world for another U2 concert!

Even though it is cold, your husband will have some pretty days in Copenhagen as the weather should be good.

Tons of positive thoughts.

Copenhagen - post show party on Saturday with tribute being advertised at The Old Irish Pub - anyone know which old Irish pub - appears to be a view in the city. I think its the big one , quite new, but cannot confirm.

2 hours ago, Westy said:

Copenhagen - post show party on Saturday with tribute being advertised at The Old Irish Pub - anyone know which old Irish pub - appears to be a view in the city. I think its the big one , quite new, but cannot confirm.

Hi Westy,

It is correct it is a new pub in Town, and I have only been to one of their other branches.

The Old Irish Pub where the U2 afterparty is taking place is located at Vesterbrogade 2 very much city centre.

To make it completely understandable for everyone their Facebook event is in Danish, but basically there is an afterparty both Saturday and Sunday with two bands playing  (December and Mount Temple).

On 9/24/2018 at 5:34 PM, Heather S said:

Heather,  ‘was so sorry to see your letter here regarding not being able to go to the show. I hope you’ll be feeling better very soon.   ?.   I’ll be trying to watch from the US, that is if anyone is able to broadcast the show on Periscope or else hopefully listen in on Mixlr.  Is that a possibility for you too?  Take care, I hope you get to a show in the future.✌??

Edited by hillpy2

5 hours ago, hillpy2 said:

Heather,  ‘was so sorry to see your letter here regarding not being able to go to the show. I hope you’ll be feeling better very soon.   ?.   I’ll be trying to watch from the US, that is if anyone is able to broadcast the show on Periscope or else hopefully listen in on Mixlr.  Is that a possibility for you too?  Take care, I hope you get to a show in the future.✌??

That is very kind thank you. I don’t know if I could cope with watching it but I will see.  I hope you get to see some from a live-streaming. Thank you again.

• Like 1