Sign in to follow this  
bettydalton

On which album do you like Bono's voice the most?

Bono's voice has had it's ups and downs. Below you will find 2 quotes from manager Paul McGuinness and Adam Clayton on Bono's regular voice problems.

But I am curious to hear from all the U2 fans which album you think features Bono's voice the best, regardless if you like that album. Just listening to Bono's voice. On which album does Bono sing the prettiest according to your personal taste?

I love Bono's voice the best on "The Unforgettable Fire". I have seen the short documentary that was made at the castle where "The Unforgettable Fire" had been recorded and we can hear Bono improvise. Often called Bongolese, but how funny that term might be for the incoherent words Bono is singing, his voice during The Fire recordings was out there. Just out there... I mean I dont have the words to capture the power and beauty of Bono's voice during those Fire recordings. It just mesmirizes me. Pure soul. I truly never heard anything remotely like that. Daniel Lanois compared Bono's vocal range to an opera singer. His power and soul just burst out through his vocal cords during "The Unforgettable Fire". That voice is the best I have ever heard Bono sing. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.....

Quote out of the biography "U2 by U2" from manager Paul McGuinness during the POP MART years: "When I started managing the band, Adam and I smoked, but none of the other three did. Now they all smoke except for Adam and me. Bono came to tobacco late in life. I was an ex-smoker by then and I remember saying to him: "I cant believe you have started smoking. Arent you worried that you'll damage your voice? Bono said: That's the problem. I like what it's doing to my voice". It was giving it a rougher timbre, but it was subject to change. It was starting to come and go.

Adam said: " Bono would have a few good days and then a few bad days. Sometimes his voice was there and it was great and other times it was raspy and gone for no apparent reason".

Edited by bettydalton

I can't pick an album but I can pick two songs:  Running to Stand Still and Bad.

Manohlive I have heard an amazing live version of Bad during the "Love comes to Town" tour in january 1990 in Holland. That concert became the final concert of that tour (rescheduled due to voice problems, yes again) and Bono blasted his lungs out singing "Bad". That was one of the most powerful versions I had ever heard of that song live. Too bad I only have a bootleg recording on tape/cassette otherwise I could have posted it. Anybody remember tape casettes lol?  Your 2 picks would be the Fire / Tree period Manohlive. Would be my best period too. Oh how I long back to those days!

Edited by bettydalton

Next to TJT I have always considered Zooropa to be the most complete album especially for the vocals. The range is incredible and we also get an Edge song!