The Parkes

Boring and Predictable

The I&E and E&I concert structures are great but they have removed any element of spontaneity.  The set list is so fixed it has removed part of the experience you got with a U2 concert.  I am not saying the concerts aren’t good but I won’t be holding my breath for a sudden change in Belfast as old age and comfort to deliver the same songs week after week have now taken over.  Disappointed is an understatement.

..............................And you were saying ? It's almost as if U2 had read this and thought right lets show them!

Spongebob - I'll take it!!  I'll take it even if it has nothing to do with my post.  If they keep mixing it up that would be great.  Vertigo tour was great because every couple of shows you'd think - would have loved to be at that one!!  Cheers

• Like 1

All I can say is that Hamburg 1 was epic!! I am delighted the setlist changed! I hope they chop it up again for Belfast. Would be wonderful to have some oldies -Gloria. And maybe Please or Peace on Earth.  Hopefully not SBS or Elevation. Its good but I am Tired of Elevation. Electric Co should tske its place. Acrobat was epic so was Zoo Station and Wild Horses!!

I'm excited about seeing them in London and Dublin. It's great they have changed the setlist around over the last few shows too.

But they have gone from doing 24 songs a night in the US, to 23 at the start of the European tour, now it's down to 21 with this new set.

I actually thought when they announced the tour that they said they would play longer sets than normal. Hmmm??:blink:

Cazza - great Hamburg was epic and pleased you got something new ?

Dbuggy - let’s hope their saving themselves for some longer sets!!

Its only boring and predictable if you're going to more than one show or watch the periscopes each night ... I had a little look at the Milan setlist and there's 12 songs that I've never seen them play before ... and they've dropped all the Joshua Tree songs. I've been going to see U2 since 1997 and each tour is different to the last ... if you only go to one show then you'll realise how radical and brave the set lists are compared to the previous tour ... most fans can't afford to go to two shows in a row. I personally can't wait for Manchester show. Enjoy the gigs for what they are. No ones forcing you to go. 

Just back from London last night, and a more general observation than just the set is that for me, the best U2 gig would be the 4 of them, on one standard stage with no big screen or any marks to hit, belting out loud rock songs.

For me I Will Follow was the highlight last night, and I was thinking, wouldn't it be brilliant to go to a simple gig, with stuff like this end to end. I got the feeling that with songs like Zoo Station and The Fly coming back in there, perhaps that's what they'd really like too?

Bit late in the band's day for that I understand, but for me, that is really what it's all about..

Edited by Bungo

On 10/13/2018 at 8:52 AM, theyallayallas said:

Its only boring and predictable if you're going to more than one show or watch the periscopes each night ... I had a little look at the Milan setlist and there's 12 songs that I've never seen them play before ... and they've dropped all the Joshua Tree songs. I've been going to see U2 since 1997 and each tour is different to the last ... if you only go to one show then you'll realise how radical and brave the set lists are compared to the previous tour ... most fans can't afford to go to two shows in a row. I personally can't wait for Manchester show. Enjoy the gigs for what they are. No ones forcing you to go. 

That's true theyallayallas and I hope you enjoyed Manchester.  Cheers

3 hours ago, Bungo said:

Just back from London last night, and a more general observation than just the set is that for me, the best U2 gig would be the 4 of them, on one standard stage with no big screen or any marks to hit, belting out loud rock songs.

For me I Will Follow was the highlight last night, and I was thinking, wouldn't it be brilliant to go to a simple gig, with stuff like this end to end. I got the feeling that with songs like Zoo Station and The Fly coming back in there, perhaps that's what they'd really like too?

Bit late in the band's day for that I understand, but for me, that is really what it's all about..

It is all about belting out the songs as you say - elevation they tried to strip it back at the beginning - walking out with the lights on etc.  Zoo has always been a bit of a performance imo and I am looking forward to seeing how it all pans out - provided it still gets played!!

Repeating the same segment from the innocence tour for the major portion of ei tour was in my opinion a misjudgement. Not that it wasn't enjoyable  but i just thought why is it being repeated. This was supposed to be about experience this time round. Despite the fancy screen i actually didnt look at it much during the show, and if you were behind the stage at either end  you wouldnt have seen it much anyway. So the songs have to carry the day and that middle portion from the innocence tour badly needed change, assuming you had been at the innocence tour. My original vision for an experience tour was that it was an ideal opportunity to play some stuff from Pop again..gone/last night on earth/please.  Glad they changed it in the last 6 weeks or so, seems like they were just starting to get in the groove and think what the experience tour should be about. Bit late though for those who had already gone.

I thought the repetition of much of the i+e set was a bit odd too,

My only concern now is that they seemed to go quite move quite heavily towards Achtung Baby which may mean an AB anniversary tour is now less likely?