"Blessed is the blue above the Europe we share, and may the yellow stars never fall upon our heads."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dmway said:

It's funny when there are polls here of what songs you could do without hearing live again, this song very often is near/at the top of the list.

If they keep playing it like this, I'd want to hear it at every show - the new version of NYD too.

There was a thread about what song you don't want to hear them play again.   I think you contributed.  I could not pick Pride after seeing it live in Chicago for both nights of EI.  I could not think of another song so I picked The Ocean.  Since I've been listening to more EI live shows-I can't pick The Ocean either. Pride gets to me more now than ever.   I love how it goes into GOOYOW.

New Year's Day never sounded so exciting as during this tour

Just now, Malahide said:

New Year's Day never sounded so exciting as during this tour

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this tour and The Joshua Tree tour last year have given us the definitive live versions of New Year's Day.

1 minute ago, Manohlive said:

There was a thread about what song you don't want to hear them play again.   I think you contributed.  I could not pick Pride after seeing it live in Chicago for both nights of EI.  I could not think of another song so I picked The Ocean.  Since I've been listening to more EI live shows-I can't pick The Ocean either. Pride gets to me more now than ever.   I love how it goes into GOOYOW.

No - I avoid those threads like the plague. For me, the band can play whatever they decide would be right for them to play. I will always think that.

Their sets have been great the whole tour.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, dmway said:

No - I avoid those threads like the plague. For me, the band can play whatever they decide would be right for them to play. I will always think that.

Their sets have been great the whole tour.

Here's the thing - I was gutted last year when I saw that A Sort of Homecoming got ditched from the setlist, for most shows. But at Twickenham night 1, the performance of Bad they gave with the snippet of Heroes (I mentioned this earlier in the thread) was one of the most spine-chilling, emotional, incredible things I have ever seen and heard in my life. 

Point is, what it looks like on paper isn't the same as what it looks, sounds and feels like in the flesh. It works both ways - I got really excited the weekend before Reading Festival 2013 because I saw that Green Day, one of the headliners, would be playing their album Dookie in its entirety. But when the festival came around and I was in the crowd for their set, it was a bit flat.

Edited by peterferris8
  • Like 1

Just now, peterferris8 said:

Here's the thing - I was gutted last year when I saw that A Sort of Homecoming got ditched from the setlist, for most shows. But at Twickenham night 1, the performance of Bad they gave with the snippet of Heroes (I mentioned this earlier in the thread) was one of the most spine-chilling, emotional, incredible things I have ever seen and heard in my life.

Yes - I was heartbroken not to hear ASOH last year too. But, "Bad" is always great and the version you saw was especially good.

That why I think it's just always better to trust the band's judgment.

so far...

1. The Blackout
  2. Lights of Home
  3. I Will Follow
  4. Gloria / Gloria (snippet)
  5. Beautiful Day
  6. Zoo Station
  7. Stay (Faraway, So Close)
  8. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

iNTERMISSION: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

9. Elevation (Influx Mix)
  10. Vertigo / The Jean Genie (snippet)
  11. Even Better Than The Real Thing
  12. Acrobat / Sympathy for the Devil (snippet)
  13. You're The Best Thing About Me
  14. Summer of Love
  15. Pride (In the Name of Love)
  16. Get Out Of Your Own Way
  17. New Year's Day
  18. City of Blinding Lights

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, peterferris8 said:

Point is, what it looks like on paper isn't the same as what it looks, sounds and feels like in the flesh.

14 minutes ago, peterferris8 said:

Twickenham night 1, the performance of Bad they gave with the snippet of Heroes (I mentioned this earlier in the thread) was one of the most spine-chilling, emotional, incredible things I have ever seen and heard in my life. 

I agree. Bad is my favorite song by anyone ever.  Hearing it live and not knowing they are going to do it gives me chills just typing this.  I forgot they are excluding TJT for this tour, where is was once one of my main thoughts before these shows. Final night of IE in Chicago, they did Gloria, Bad and the full version of 40.  All came as a surprise.  I had to fight not to cry.  I did not succeed during 40.   .

Edited by Manohlive

1 minute ago, Manohlive said:

I agree. Bad is my favorite song by anyone ever.  Hearing it live and not knowing they are going to do it gives me chills just typing this.  I forgot they are excluding TJT for this tour, where is was once one of my main thoughts before the shows. Final night of IE in Chicago, they did Gloria, Bad and the full version of 40.  All came as a surprise.  I had to fight not to cry.  I did not succeed during 40.   .

They did the same thing at the final night of IE in London. I'd been at the first one when they'd played The Electric Co and One, but the crowd for the last night was so much better. We were still singing 40 all the way to North Greenwich underground station!

Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head.

Of course, this current song should never, ever, ever be retired. Despite what some might say.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, peterferris8 said:

Of course, this current song should never, ever, ever be retired. Despite what some might say.

Yes, when someone posts that, I just roll my eyes. I don't reply because my reply wouldn't be nice.

Edited by dmway

1 minute ago, peterferris8 said:

They did the same thing at the final night of IE in London. I'd been at the first one when they'd played The Electric Co and One, but the crowd for the last night was so much better. We were still singing 40 all the way to North Greenwich underground station!

That makes me so happy, peterferris8.   

1 minute ago, peterferris8 said:

unless the band decides, for their reasons, to retire it...