Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mich40

30 Years Ago Today.....

Recommended Posts

30 years ago today was a pivotal day in my U2 fandom. I worked in a movie theater at the time and I bought the cd for Rattle and Hum so we could play it in the lobby in anticipation and to promote the movie that would be coming out that next month. Little did I know at the time that that album would help take my love of U2 to a new level. I would always (and still do) turn it up a bit louder for this song:

What’s your favorite song from this album?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favourite song on that album is the wonderful Heartland.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Malahide said:

My favourite song on that album is the wonderful Heartland.

 

That’s my 2nd favorite on the album. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Hawkmoon 269 is my second favourite  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heartland by far! Followed by Silver and Gold and God Part II which share the second place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'll be the romantic and nominate "All I Want Is You" - I did name it as one of my favorite songs in my profile, so I guess I'm obliged to bring it up here. ;)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...but I like to rock too! B)

 

It was this song and their cover of "Night and Day" a couple of years later (with its drum sound recycled from "Boomerang I"/"Boomerang II" from the UF days) that gave the slightest hint (IMHO) that they were capable of making songs like those that eventually ended up on AB. Otherwise, there were none.

I love Hawkmoon 269 and Heartland too, but those have been quoted above. I'm a little surprised that "Desire" hasn't been mentioned yet - that song is not exactly chopped liver. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well ... Rattle and Hum is such a Masterpiece .... the journey in the heart of America ... just a Journey !  Angel of Harlem ... Hawkmoon ... God Part II .... Heartland .... All I Want Is You .... Just 30 years ago ??? Its looks like  it was yesterday !! i remember watching the videos at my Grandparents house ... well nearly 29 years ago.... on October 14 1989 I went to Paris just to get tickets for the Lovetown Tour .... U2 played some Great R'N'Hum stuff during these gigs .... 

1539193284959546490892.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great album, but..... where is the anniversary reissue???? We need a Lovetown DVD! But what do we get??? Another vinyl releases of Zooropa and Joshua Tree..... Man......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping for a remastered R&H album and movie with unseen footage plus seen footage(youtube). God, I was just 16 when this album came out. Hawkmoon and God Part II are My Favourites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Takes me back to a time when I did something very strange for a northern Irish guy around 20/21 years of age - went to the cinema, TWICE!...ON MY OWN!! You just didn't do that sort of thing - it was frowned upon.?

Yep, 'Heartland' for me, indeed it remains probably in my personal top 10 U2 tracks of all time....well, it would definitely reside in the top 20. It coincided with a  time in summer of 89, when I first visited the USA, to visit Aunts/Uncles n cousins located in Ohio and Maryland. Just reminds of a wonderful time of growing up and seeing places I'd never seen before.

"The Irish have been coming to America for years" - Bono. (Rattle n Hum, intro to Sunday Bloody Sunday.)

I've a soft spot for Van Diemen's Land too.

 

But no , Heartland for me, and visions of Edge sliding down the banks of the Mississippi on his backside always conjure up happy memorys of warm summer nights and youthful exploration of the planet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rattle And Hum is still my favourite album. Studio and live songs, black and white, the atmosphere around this album and then the movie on a big screen in the cinema. I'm proud when I wear my Rattle And Hum t-shirts. It's so sad that 30 years ago some criticals broke down this album and U2. They are WRONG. This masterpiece is a " diamond on a crown of gold " and I hope that some day, I can buy a dvd with the Happy Newyear concert in Point Depot. Thanks to Larry, Adam, Edge, Bono and crew for making this album and movie. A belgian fan since the early 80'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yardie said:

Takes me back to a time when I did something very strange for a northern Irish guy around 20/21 years of age - went to the cinema, TWICE!...ON MY OWN!! You just didn't do that sort of thing - it was frowned upon.?

Yep, 'Heartland' for me, indeed it remains probably in my personal top 10 U2 tracks of all time....well, it would definitely reside in the top 20. It coincided with a  time in summer of 89, when I first visited the USA, to visit Aunts/Uncles n cousins located in Ohio and Maryland. Just reminds of a wonderful time of growing up and seeing places I'd never seen before.

"The Irish have been coming to America for years" - Bono. (Rattle n Hum, intro to Sunday Bloody Sunday.)

I've a soft spot for Van Diemen's Land too.

 

But no , Heartland for me, and visions of Edge sliding down the banks of the Mississippi on his backside always conjure up happy memorys of warm summer nights and youthful exploration of the planet. 

Must admit that back in the early 90s, my best friend and I drove to Memphis, just so we could sit on/slide down that hill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I Want Is You.   The Edge's guitar still gets me.  I also never know if it's sung to Ali or a higher power and I like that.  (Please no answers to whom it is sung if there is an answer)  I like the romanticism contained in both.   Hawkmoon 269 has always been my second favorite.  I remember talking about both songs with friends and being so excited that we had new U2 music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think rattle and hum was a bit of a low point and thankfully they went away and dreamt it all up again with the wonderful AB Zooropa and Pop.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, doctornickriviera said:

I think rattle and hum was a bit of a low point and thankfully they went away and dreamt it all up again with the wonderful AB Zooropa and Pop.

 

Yeah, look, I also understand that view....did the band need to release this, was it too much, the whole BBKing thing, and American influence that undoubtedly influenced their songwriting at that time? It's a chapter however, and certainly I liked the movie, the band were still in their 20's, albeit late 20's, so still growing themselves individually and collectively on  Larry's  'musical journey.'

Maybe, just maybe, had they not received some of the negative feedback they got, or would have been made aware of, and continued to live on the deserved adulation of The Joshua Tree....they just might not have decided on New Years Eve 1989 / New Years Day 1990, that they might need "to go and dream it all up again."

Every song written is written for a reason. A necessary chapter in my opinion....and there are some great tracks on R&H.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a bit too earnest for me.theyvall looked so serious all the time back then. But then I suppose Rattle and Hum is to America What Achtung Baby is to Europe. 

Glad they did and started smiling and parodying themselves in the 90s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2018 at 3:58 PM, doctornickriviera said:

Just a bit too earnest for me.theyvall looked so serious all the time back then. But then I suppose Rattle and Hum is to America What Achtung Baby is to Europe. 

Glad they did and started smiling and parodying themselves in the 90s

America had just suffered close 8 years of Ronald Reagan.  It was serious for us 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure hope we see some footage of today's screening in Dublin.  This is why I subscribe.  No shade intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.