mich40

30 Years Ago Today.....

30 years ago today was a pivotal day in my U2 fandom. I worked in a movie theater at the time and I bought the cd for Rattle and Hum so we could play it in the lobby in anticipation and to promote the movie that would be coming out that next month. Little did I know at the time that that album would help take my love of U2 to a new level. I would always (and still do) turn it up a bit louder for this song:

What’s your favorite song from this album?

• Like 3

My favourite song on that album is the wonderful Heartland.

Edited by Malahide
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Malahide said:

My favourite song on that album is the wonderful Heartland.

That’s my 2nd favorite on the album. 

And Hawkmoon 269 is my second favourite  :) 

• Like 1

Heartland by far! Followed by Silver and Gold and God Part II which share the second place

• Like 1

I guess I'll be the romantic and nominate "All I Want Is You" - I did name it as one of my favorite songs in my profile, so I guess I'm obliged to bring it up here. ;)

• Like 1

...but I like to rock too! B)

It was this song and their cover of "Night and Day" a couple of years later (with its drum sound recycled from "Boomerang I"/"Boomerang II" from the UF days) that gave the slightest hint (IMHO) that they were capable of making songs like those that eventually ended up on AB. Otherwise, there were none.

I love Hawkmoon 269 and Heartland too, but those have been quoted above. I'm a little surprised that "Desire" hasn't been mentioned yet - that song is not exactly chopped liver. :lol:

• Like 1

Well ... Rattle and Hum is such a Masterpiece .... the journey in the heart of America ... just a Journey !  Angel of Harlem ... Hawkmoon ... God Part II .... Heartland .... All I Want Is You .... Just 30 years ago ??? Its looks like  it was yesterday !! i remember watching the videos at my Grandparents house ... well nearly 29 years ago.... on October 14 1989 I went to Paris just to get tickets for the Lovetown Tour .... U2 played some Great R'N'Hum stuff during these gigs .... 

1539193284959546490892.jpg

Edited by electricco

Great album, but..... where is the anniversary reissue???? We need a Lovetown DVD! But what do we get??? Another vinyl releases of Zooropa and Joshua Tree..... Man......

I was hoping for a remastered R&H album and movie with unseen footage plus seen footage(youtube). God, I was just 16 when this album came out. Hawkmoon and God Part II are My Favourites.

Edited by mbastin72

Takes me back to a time when I did something very strange for a northern Irish guy around 20/21 years of age - went to the cinema, TWICE!...ON MY OWN!! You just didn't do that sort of thing - it was frowned upon.😄

Yep, 'Heartland' for me, indeed it remains probably in my personal top 10 U2 tracks of all time....well, it would definitely reside in the top 20. It coincided with a  time in summer of 89, when I first visited the USA, to visit Aunts/Uncles n cousins located in Ohio and Maryland. Just reminds of a wonderful time of growing up and seeing places I'd never seen before.

"The Irish have been coming to America for years" - Bono. (Rattle n Hum, intro to Sunday Bloody Sunday.)

I've a soft spot for Van Diemen's Land too.

But no , Heartland for me, and visions of Edge sliding down the banks of the Mississippi on his backside always conjure up happy memorys of warm summer nights and youthful exploration of the planet. 

• Like 1

Rattle And Hum is still my favourite album. Studio and live songs, black and white, the atmosphere around this album and then the movie on a big screen in the cinema. I'm proud when I wear my Rattle And Hum t-shirts. It's so sad that 30 years ago some criticals broke down this album and U2. They are WRONG. This masterpiece is a " diamond on a crown of gold " and I hope that some day, I can buy a dvd with the Happy Newyear concert in Point Depot. Thanks to Larry, Adam, Edge, Bono and crew for making this album and movie. A belgian fan since the early 80'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yardie said:

Takes me back to a time when I did something very strange for a northern Irish guy around 20/21 years of age - went to the cinema, TWICE!...ON MY OWN!! You just didn't do that sort of thing - it was frowned upon.😄

Yep, 'Heartland' for me, indeed it remains probably in my personal top 10 U2 tracks of all time....well, it would definitely reside in the top 20. It coincided with a  time in summer of 89, when I first visited the USA, to visit Aunts/Uncles n cousins located in Ohio and Maryland. Just reminds of a wonderful time of growing up and seeing places I'd never seen before.

"The Irish have been coming to America for years" - Bono. (Rattle n Hum, intro to Sunday Bloody Sunday.)

I've a soft spot for Van Diemen's Land too.

But no , Heartland for me, and visions of Edge sliding down the banks of the Mississippi on his backside always conjure up happy memorys of warm summer nights and youthful exploration of the planet. 

Must admit that back in the early 90s, my best friend and I drove to Memphis, just so we could sit on/slide down that hill.

• Haha 1