dmway

U2 tribute band clearinghouse thread

2 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I only saw one U2 tribute band and they were awful.  I presumed and assumed that it was not possible for there to be a good tribute band for U2.  Dmway-if you know of one that's going to be in Milwaukee/Chicago, can you please let me know?  I have to keep screen time to a minimum but I'll also try to check for gigs near me.  This is a cool thread.

If I see any going your way, I’ll let you know.

However, these bands seem to be regional in the US. The one I see (Unforgettable Fire) is NYC-based; thus, they play between Boston and Philadelphia/NJ mostly. I’m a bit surprised that there wouldn’t be a good one in the Chicagoland area. Maybe a poster from there would be more in-the-know. 

1 hour ago, Canadanne said:

I've seen the full range from awful to amazing and everything in between!

You have seen more U2 tribute bands than I have! I have been very lucky with one excellent one. I’m glad you got to see amazing ones.

I compiled some upcoming UK gig dates at the end of last year - might as well paste them here as well:

Saturday 2nd February - U2Baby at Zephyr Lounge, Leamington Spa
Saturday 2nd February - U2 2 at The Witchwood, Ashton-under-Lyne
Sunday 10th February - U2UK at Butlins, Bognor Regis
Saturday 23rd February - U2 2 at The Brook, Southampton
Friday 1st March - U2UK at Eleven, Stoke-on-Trent
Saturday 2nd March - U2Baby at The Globe, Cardiff
Saturday 9th March - U2 2 at Biggin Hill Social & Sports Club, Westerham
Saturday 16th March - U2 2 at The Beaverwood, Chislehurst
Saturday 16th March - U2UK at The Flowerpot, Derby
Saturday 23rd March - U2Baby at The Assembly Rooms, Chichester
Saturday 23rd March - U2 2 at Doncaster Social Club
Friday 29th March - U2 2 at The Longfield Suite, Prestwich
Saturday 30th March - U2UK at The Concorde Club, Eastleigh
Thursday 4th April - U2Baby at The Cavern Club, Liverpool
Saturday 13th April - U2 2 at The Old Courts, Wigan
Thursday 18th April - U2Baby at The Horns, Watford
Saturday 20th April - U2UK at Richmond Holiday Centre, Skegness
Friday 26th April - U2Baby at The Bier Keller, Bracknell
Friday 10th May - U2UK at O'Rileys, Hull
Saturday 18th May - U2Baby at The Woodley Arms, Stockport
Saturday 8th June - U2Baby at The Half Moon, Putney
Saturday 8th June - U2UK at Foxlowe Arts Centre, Leek
Saturday 15th June - U2UK at The Beachcomber, Brean
Friday 21st June - U2 2 at The Robin 2, Bilston
Saturday 22nd June - U2Baby at Marlow Rock Bottom
Friday 28th June - U2UK at Real Time Live, Chesterfield
Saturday 29th June - U2 2 at Hawick Town Hall
Saturday 13th July - U2 2 at Party In The Car Park, South Yorkshire
Sunday 28th July - U2Baby at Glastonbarry Tribute Festival, Romilly Park, Barry
Thursday 8th August - U2UK at Castell Roc, Chepstow Castle
Sunday 25th August - U2 2 at The Ultimate Tribute Festival, Colebrook Park, Tunbridge Wells
Friday 20th September - U2Baby at Party In The Park 2, Himley Hall
Thursday 3rd October - U2Baby at The Cavern Club, Liverpool
Saturday 2nd November - U2Baby at The Half Moon, Putney
Saturday 14th December - U2Baby at The Woodley Arms, Stockport

Sadly I won't be seeing any of them... the only one sort of near me is in Southampton and I think even that would be too awkward to get to. :\  More Dorset shows please, Fake U2ers!

22 minutes ago, Canadanne said:

I compiled some upcoming UK gig dates at the end of last year - might as well paste them here as well:

Saturday 2nd February - U2Baby at Zephyr Lounge, Leamington Spa
Saturday 2nd February - U2 2 at The Witchwood, Ashton-under-Lyne
Sunday 10th February - U2UK at Butlins, Bognor Regis
Saturday 23rd February - U2 2 at The Brook, Southampton
Friday 1st March - U2UK at Eleven, Stoke-on-Trent
Saturday 2nd March - U2Baby at The Globe, Cardiff
Saturday 9th March - U2 2 at Biggin Hill Social & Sports Club, Westerham
Saturday 16th March - U2 2 at The Beaverwood, Chislehurst
Saturday 16th March - U2UK at The Flowerpot, Derby
Saturday 23rd March - U2Baby at The Assembly Rooms, Chichester
Saturday 23rd March - U2 2 at Doncaster Social Club
Friday 29th March - U2 2 at The Longfield Suite, Prestwich
Saturday 30th March - U2UK at The Concorde Club, Eastleigh
Thursday 4th April - U2Baby at The Cavern Club, Liverpool
Saturday 13th April - U2 2 at The Old Courts, Wigan
Thursday 18th April - U2Baby at The Horns, Watford
Saturday 20th April - U2UK at Richmond Holiday Centre, Skegness
Friday 26th April - U2Baby at The Bier Keller, Bracknell
Friday 10th May - U2UK at O'Rileys, Hull
Saturday 18th May - U2Baby at The Woodley Arms, Stockport
Saturday 8th June - U2Baby at The Half Moon, Putney
Saturday 8th June - U2UK at Foxlowe Arts Centre, Leek
Saturday 15th June - U2UK at The Beachcomber, Brean
Friday 21st June - U2 2 at The Robin 2, Bilston
Saturday 22nd June - U2Baby at Marlow Rock Bottom
Friday 28th June - U2UK at Real Time Live, Chesterfield
Saturday 29th June - U2 2 at Hawick Town Hall
Saturday 13th July - U2 2 at Party In The Car Park, South Yorkshire
Sunday 28th July - U2Baby at Glastonbarry Tribute Festival, Romilly Park, Barry
Thursday 8th August - U2UK at Castell Roc, Chepstow Castle
Sunday 25th August - U2 2 at The Ultimate Tribute Festival, Colebrook Park, Tunbridge Wells
Friday 20th September - U2Baby at Party In The Park 2, Himley Hall
Thursday 3rd October - U2Baby at The Cavern Club, Liverpool
Saturday 2nd November - U2Baby at The Half Moon, Putney
Saturday 14th December - U2Baby at The Woodley Arms, Stockport

Sadly I won't be seeing any of them... the only one sort of near me is in Southampton and I think even that would be too awkward to get to. :\  More Dorset shows please, Fake U2ers!

WOW! THAT is an impressive list! The funny thing reading this list is that I have been to many of the towns/venues (e.g., I've been to the venues you listed in Leek and Bilston, and I know where those venues are in Stoke-on-Trent, Derby, and Chesterfield - I would have loved to have seen a U2 tribute when I was still living there; and there's even a show in The Cavern Club in Liverpool! See a U2 show and explore the history of The Beatles at the same time...).

I hope @doctornickriviera sees this list!

Once again, I have concert envy.   Thanks for answering.  I've only seen one U2 tribute band in Milwaukee and it wasn't good so I left after one song.  Perhaps the real band will see this, feel sorry for me and do a gig in my apartment?   (one can dream)   Thanks for answering.  

Haven't been on these threads for a while! Thought I'd share a picture from the UF2 show in October. Always fun, especially with fellow fan dmway!

IMG_4568.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, that was an especially good show at a great venue!

I like how active they have been since the e&i tour has ended - they have played at least four shows in the greater Philadelphia area since then and they are playing a few more here before the end of April.

I hope that trend continues! 😎

Edited by dmway
  • Like 1

UF show this Saturday (March 9th) in Philadelphia - my attending depends on the weather and my recuperative powers (I’m recovering from the first cold I have gotten in over two years; I’m almost completely better now, but the last bit is lingering stubbornly).

Hopefully, more later...

On 3/7/2019 at 4:14 PM, dmway said:

UF show this Saturday (March 9th) in Philadelphia - my attending depends on the weather and my recuperative powers (I’m recovering from the first cold I have gotten in over two years; I’m almost completely better now, but the last bit is lingering stubbornly).

Hopefully, more later...

...and I am all ready to go! 😎

New venue this time. The weather has turned rather warm-ish all of a sudden and it’s mostly sunny. For those going to the show tonight (and everyone else in the US), remember to turn your clocks ahead an hour for Daylight Saving Time (thank the Bush Administration for moving this two weeks before the rest of the world - I have no idea why this shift was so important to them).

Pictures and mini-report later...

Well, tonight’s show was awesome! 😎

Let me give you a picture or two now, then I’ll give a proper report after some sleep (esp. since we lose an hour tonight).

This is how close I was to them tonight. The place was called “The Barn” on their website, and that’s what it was. 😆 The place is actually a bar, but it has a barn in the back.

The stage was about 6 inches in elevation. It reminded me of one of the very famous pictures of U2 performing in their early days. So, walking out into the crowd was very easy - so they did so. This is one example. (BTBS playing, due to the presence of the spotlight.)

B195D0F9-40AA-4D30-B4D2-B98E51E65343.jpeg

...and a fun photo before bed.

Their “Adam” managed to insinuate himself while “Edge” was playing keyboards. It was very amusing.😆

Mote later after rest...

ADC5FB52-639A-4949-B793-FC3DD20EAA87.jpeg

Posted (edited)

OK - a bit more now...

This was one of the very best shows I have ever seen them put on - very long setlist, very good variety. The songs mostly came from Boy through HTDAAB,  but one more recent track was played too. From each album:

Boy

I Will Follow

Out Of Control

The Ocean (snippet)

The Electric Co.

("11 O'Clock Tick Tock" was played too, w/ "Cry" opening)

War

Sunday Bloody Sunday

New Year's Day

40 (snippet)

The Unforgettable Fire

Pride

Bad

The Joshua Tree

Streets (which was great)

With Or Without You

Bullet The Blue Sky (which was, IMHO, the song of the night - a truly awesome version)

Running To Stand Still

In God's Country

(they may have played "Trip Through Your Wires" too, but I may have a false memory here - I'll try to confirm)

Rattle and Hum

Desire (yes, you can tell he was giving his harmonicas a workout last night)

Achtung Baby

One

Mysterious Ways

Zooropa

Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

ATYCLB

Stuck In A Moment

In A Little While (yes, really)

HTDAAB

Vertigo

Songs Of Experience

The Blackout

Quite a variety! They played two generous sets.

...AND THEN...

The Edge of the band started playing a familiar riff - it sounded Edge-y, but different as well. As he continued playing, I slowly recognized the guitar stylings of David Gilmour...

Wait...are they really playing..."Another Brick In The Wall, Pt. II"? Why, yes! Yes they are! And they did. An unexpected bonus.

I can't wait until they come around again. They are close enough to drive to next month; I may give it a go.

Edited by dmway

Another post or two about the show...

They even had a ONE table at the show with people distributing information and signing people up just like a full-fledged U2 gig.

511342E6-6397-4379-A8AC-1C78C8B6C298.jpeg

Another good image to show how close we all were to them.

5E67647A-C560-44DC-9E68-DAC595596695.jpeg

The Eagles jersey in the background belongs to the Bono of the group. Since his real name in Tony, the name on the back is “Tono”.

Later in the show, a girl in the crowd asked to try on the jersey while they were playing. He agreed (but I think with a bit of reluctance too). She danced on the side of the stage, aided by a few drinks beforehand.

9918A4BE-2834-443B-8F15-9ECC18242794.jpeg

A close-up of Edge during “Bullet”.

The Larry of the group was disobedient earlier in the day, so they kept him behind a Perspex cage all night. (No - not really, but it is entertaining to think so. The barrier was for our own protection from the volume of his kit in such a cozy venue.)

0F7C8FB8-9C4A-46E1-9D55-50FB1114E106.jpeg

On 3/10/2019 at 12:46 AM, dmway said:

This is how close I was to them tonight. The place was called “The Barn” on their website, and that’s what it was. 😆 The place is actually a bar, but it has a barn in the back.

The stage was about 6 inches in elevation. It reminded me of one of the very famous pictures of U2 performing in their early days. So, walking out into the crowd was very easy - so they did so. This is one example. (BTBS playing, due to the presence of the spotlight.)

B195D0F9-40AA-4D30-B4D2-B98E51E65343.jpeg

He looks like Bono.  It's spooky.

If any decent U2 tribute band come to the Upper Midwest-please let me know.  Screen time is still limited.  I can't keep up with this but would love to see a good one.

On 3/10/2019 at 1:50 AM, dmway said:

...and a fun photo before bed.

Their “Adam” managed to insinuate himself while “Edge” was playing keyboards. It was very amusing.😆

Mote later after rest...

ADC5FB52-639A-4949-B793-FC3DD20EAA87.jpeg

I saw this entire situation happen 🤣 It was actually "Edge's" doing - "Adam" stood right next to him and suddenly "Edge" shoved him in front of the keyboard and put his arms around him to play the keyboard. The look on "Adam's" face was hilarious 🤣 These guys really are great, and they always look like they have so much fun doing this!

Edited by Vertigo3333
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vertigo3333 said:

I saw this entire situation happen 🤣 It was actually "Edge's" doing - "Adam" stood right next to him and suddenly "Edge" shoved him in front of the keyboard and put his arms around him to play the keyboard. The look on "Adam's" face was hilarious 🤣 These guys really are great, and they always look like they have so much fun doing this!

Yes! You’re absolutely right! That is how it happened. 😆

That’s the one thing I always notice whenever I have seen them over the last 15 years or so - they really, really enjoy doing what they are doing. They feed off the crowd too, just like U2 themselves.

I’m on the fence about seeing them on the 13th next month. The show is easy enough to get to, but they are sharing the bill with 42, a Coldplay tribute band. UF are the closers that night, though; that would make me more likely to take in the show again. Choices, choices...

• Like 1