Sign in to follow this  
peterferris8

Favourite tour of the last 4 years?

Favourite tour of the last 4 years?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite tour of the last 4 years: Innocence & Experience, The Joshua Tree, or Experience & Innocence?

• Innocence & Experience (2015)
    • The Joshua Tree (2017)
    • Experience & Innocence (2018)

Felt the need to ask this question. I honestly can't bring myself to give an answer because I genuinely don't know.

1 minute ago, peterferris8 said:

Felt the need to ask this question. I honestly can't bring myself to give an answer because I genuinely don't know.

For me, that was easy - e&i.

Personally, this has been my favorite tour since U2360 and ranks along side it and ZooTV, POPMart, and Vertigo as one of their very best tours ever.

Much prefer the closeness and intimacy of the I&E and E&I shows over the JT stadium gigs. Personally, getting right by the e-stage in London 2 and Dublin 2 and the inclusion of Zoostation and Acrobat meant my vote goes to E&I. 

Not a straightforward choice for me. In terms of the overall production, I think IE was the best. JT is easily the one I enjoyed most in person (that indoor stage & screen layout just didn't work at all for someone as short as me). But EI had MacPhisto, which means more to me than anything! So... *shrug*

My vote to EI 2018 ... i didnt have holidays and money for JTtour2017 (was the first Tour since JT1987 without me ... and i know its a shame cos JT is a Classic) ... IE Was Incredible too 4 U2shows in Paris and a terrorist attack ...

Fav Tours : 5 x 360 ... 2 Elevation ... POPMart 97 !!  JT 87 ... Lovetown tour 89 .... Zooropa93 .... :SoE_01:

301796_325344427548170_564698512_n.jpg

Edited by electricco
  • Like 1

IE for me, hands down.  While I happily went to JT30, I just don’t enjoy stadium tours as much.  And EI felt a bit predictable after seeing IE.  But IE felt so fresh, different, and interesting.  I really loved it.

I voted for EI.   It's difficult, for me, to distinguish between IE and EI.  JT was like an intermission between the two. That is not meant to diminish TJT30 show.  IE and EI were like one long show spread out over a period of time.  My vote is for !E/EI.  When I choose-EI is my favorite U2 tour ever.  I'm not sure that would be true without IE.  

27 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I voted for EI.   It's difficult, for me, to distinguish between IE and EI.  JT was like an intermission between the two. That is not meant to diminish TJT30 show.  IE and EI were like one long show spread out over a period of time.  My vote is for !E/EI.  When I choose-EI is my favorite U2 tour ever.  I'm not sure that would be true without IE.  

In a way I feel like all the last three tours have been essential to each other. Had the band not done the full Joshua Tree tour and kept it to just a few shows as originally planned, they wouldn't have made the decision to remove all trace of the album from the EI setlist, which would've ultimately made it a different show. That said I feel like The Joshua Tree tour became part of the whole story rather than just an intermission - it was a big moment in the band's history and stands, in my opinion, as a major plot piece on the road from innocence to experience and back. 

Ultimately I've come to the conclusion that the majority of voters are going for and gone with EI - but equally I have to acknowledge that without IE and TJT30, EI wouldn't have been the show it was.

• Like 2
  • Brilliant 1

On 11/19/2018 at 1:54 PM, peterferris8 said:

In a way I feel like all the last three tours have been essential to each other. Had the band not done the full Joshua Tree tour and kept it to just a few shows as originally planned, they wouldn't have made the decision to remove all trace of the album from the EI setlist, which would've ultimately made it a different show. That said I feel like The Joshua Tree tour became part of the whole story rather than just an intermission - it was a big moment in the band's history and stands, in my opinion, as a major plot piece on the road from innocence to experience and back. 

Ultimately I've come to the conclusion that the majority of voters are going for and gone with EI - but equally I have to acknowledge that without IE and TJT30, EI wouldn't have been the show it was.

I agree and well said.  By intermission, I meant it was the middle of IE and EI.  I did not mean I did not love that tour.  I like the points you make about JT30.  Red Hill Mining Town and MOTD were high points of any live U2 show I've seen.  I also thought Bad being in the setlist, at the beginning of the show, worked extremely well.  In Chicago, they ended with I Will Follow. (for at least one of the two shows)   I wondered why.  After EI and I  Will Follow being such an integral part of the EI setlist, I understand.  The past four years were, at the least, among the best four years to be following U2 and going to the shows.  This part of U2 will, once again, be a marking point for time in my life; before and after these tours.  I'll remember things accordingly.  It's very difficult to choose EI without IE.  I'm in absolute awe of this band.  Long live the barricage!

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's very hard to choose.
Anyway,
Experience & Innocence (2018) because of SoE and very personal reasons.

:rolleyes:

Edited by seresere

I been thinking about this and for me it has to be I+E in 2015. That was such a freewheeling tour with an ever changing set list. Sure there was a solid framework of songs that were constant but otherwise they could play anything. Then the surprise of the songs they chose... "Two Hearts Beat As One," "October," "In God's Country," "The Crystal Ballroom," and so on. Add to this the surprise guests who would come onstage... Bruce, Gaga, Jimmy Fallon, The Roots, Panti Bliss, Imelda May. You didn't know what the night would bring.

But having said all that the E+I show in Newark 2018 really stands out for me and is up there with the original JT 1987 show as best I've seen U2. But we're talking about entire tours here so I'll stick with I+E for the reasons stated above.