Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bettydalton

U2 needs to burn for love again...

Watching Live Aid, seeing Bono sing in desperation to reach millions of people, he jumps down the stage and hugs one girl drawn from the crowd. This Live Aid performance, more than any other performance by U2, captures for me the true spirit of unconditional love.  U2 needs to burn for love again, needs to get in front of millions of people again to sing their message of love. Love is not hip, but love is the way forward in this world of today. Maybe I am a fool for cherishing these naive wishes, but I sincerely hope U2 will want to burn for love again.

I think they still do. If there's one thing I noticed on Songs of Experience that I hadn't felt on Songs of Innocence or No Line On the Horizon, it was just how present the theme of love was. It's a hard feeling to find in much of the world these days, I will admit, but when I listen to that album I feel it fiercely.

I agree with Peter, SOE is soaked in love. 

Oh. I love this video so much.  The burning for love is so palpable. And knowing what a seminal moment this was in U2's career makes it such an electric thrill to watch.  And yes, I totally agree, that SOE is an album soaked in love.  It is the album that connects with me emotionally more than any other.  

No they were 25 back then young innocent and eager, now they are older experienced yet still utterly brilliant

I agree that at heart U2 is still burning for love and that their latest record is proof of that. Yet, they aint performing in front of millions anymore, like at Live Aid. Somehow or other I always FEEL that U2 is at their best in front of larger audiences. I LOVED the 2017 Joshua Tree Tour for that very same reason. U2 can play the largest crowds and still be intimate. I even feel U2 songs are sometimes just TOO big for a small arena, like they have played during their recent small indoor tour.

I totally LOVE their intimate performances, but their message of love isnt getting noticed as well as it was back in the eighties and early nineties in front of LARGER audiences. These days are yearning for a bigger tour with a bigger audience,  like the one at Live Aid or during ZOO TV. I fantasize about a remake of the ZOO TV tour in 2020, which will become a crucial year for many different reasons.

U2 already played a lot of Achtung Baby songs during their recent European tour, which I was really thrilled about. Back in the nineties they first did a small indoor Achtung Baby tour as well, followed by a spectucalar arena show, which I consider to be to their very best ever. Bono really transcends himself when he turns into MacPhisto. I really get scared by the things he says when he is in that MacPhisto role. But those things need to be said in these days... Come 2020 what is U2 gonna do?  Sit idle at home, writing?  Or do they wanna let their message of love be heard again, as they did so wonderfully powerful during Live Aid....

Disagree Betty, TJT tour was poor in a vast Twickenham Stadium, I&e and E&i  much much better.  It might just be the stadium and the fact it didn’t get dark TIL about 10pm but TJT was my least favourite U2 gig.

On 3/7/2019 at 11:50 PM, bettydalton said:

. I really get scared by the things he says when he is in that MacPhisto role. But those things need to be said in these days..

Check out the MacPhisto thread on this website.  Canadenne (pardon me if I got the spelling wrong) has put a lot of effort into making sure all of MacPhisto's speeches, or at least most of them, are included.  Have you watched the EI show?   It's incredible.  I suggest watching one of the EI gigs from America and one from Europe. The EI tour was exceptional on both continents.  If you watch, I think you'll see that times have changed, but the message is still the same.  They are still doing it but the issues at hand are different, as is their approach.....I am assuming you know of MacPhisto's appearance in the EI tour?  If not, be prepared to be even more frightened.  However, the show ends with hope: Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way and 13.  "If there is a light, don't let it go out."