dmway

R.I.P. Thread

21 minutes ago, illumination70 said:

At least Grumpy Cat will be immortal in memes.

R.I.P., Grumpy Cat 😾 

• Like 1

I hate to have to be posting in this thread again so soon. The Grim Reaper really does need to take a break :(

Rest in peace Niki Lauda. And thank you for contributing so much to Formula 1. Your bravery, honesty and immense talent will be remembered forever. As will your telling the priest to " **** off " when you were given last rites after the Nurburgring crash :lol: You say that made you more determined to live - and we're grateful that you did. 

At least now you'll get to see James again. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46781936 

• Like 1

Bart Starr  85 years old.  Big loss for my state of Wisconsin and The Green Bay Packers.   He did a lot of good for a lot of people.  May he be flying in heaven. 

Posted (edited)

Jaquerrion Dancer

Kora Midonno

I hope God turns both of you into special angels. 

Hope it's okay to post this here.  I don't know how to process these stories.  They were both two months old. 

Edited by Manohlive

Posted (edited)

Dr. John   November 20, 1941 – June 6, 2019

He was at a music festival, where I live, many times.  He always sounded great live.  

Edited by Manohlive
grammar

Rip Torn -  February 6, 1931 – July 9, 2019

Especially tough one.  I loved most of his work-especially The Larry Sanders Show.   He made me laugh so many times playing that character.   Be free and fly with the angels, Mr. Torn. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 12:13 AM, Manohlive said:

Rip Torn -  February 6, 1931 – July 9, 2019

Especially tough one.  I loved most of his work-especially The Larry Sanders Show.   He made me laugh so many times playing that character.   Be free and fly with the angels, Mr. Torn. 

I even liked him in the “Men In Black” films and in a more obscure one, “The Man Who Fell To Earth”, acting along side of David Bowie (I think it was his first film).

He was a very versatile actor. R.I.P.

• Like 1

Rest in peace Rutger Hauer. And thank you from all of us film geeks. 

And yes, everyone will be posting that scene from Blade Runner. I'm always amazed to know that, as beautifully as it fits the moment, Hauer wrote the 'Tears in Rain' speech himself, in English which, being Dutch, was not his first language. And in doing so he created an iconic moment, not just in sci-fi, but in cinema as a whole. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49098435

• Like 1

Pedro Arriago-Santoya, a 44-year-old Mexican national who’d been in ICE custody awaiting removal at the Stewart Detention Facility in Lumpkin, Georgia, passed away at the Piedmont Midtown Medical Center in Columbus, Georgia, on July 24. The preliminary cause of death has been identified as cardio-pulmonary arrest, secondary to multi-organ system failure, endocarditis, dilated cardiomyopathy with a low ejection fraction and respiratory failure. Mr. Arriago-Santoya was taken to the hospital on July 20 after complaining of abdominal pain.

-For all the others as well. Each is mourned and will be remembered by multiple Americans who do care.   I don't know where else to post concerning these deaths. 

Requiescat in pacem. 

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

Toni Morrison  1931-2019.   Huge loss. 

Yes, very sad news. At least with authors (and artists, musicians etc ), their work will live on to inspire and influence future generations.

And when I go back into the library on Thursday, I'll know what to put on display. That's always my little thing when an author dies - if we have any of their books in stock, they go on the display stands where we normally show off the newest books. My small tribute. 

• Like 1

Quanita "Tay" Jackson.   She was not famous but a superstar in my city.  

Last Saturday, Quanita “Tay” Jackson was organizing a youth basketball tournament in Moody Park, Milwaukee. The purpose of the event was to promote peace; though only 20-years-old, Jackson had already made a name for herself as an anti-violence activist and organizer.

A day later, Jackson was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting, across the street from the park she had been dancing and laughing in less than 24 hours before.

Pardon me if this is not a proper place to post this-I wanted to put something somewhere besides just the Guns and the USA thread.  She was buried today.  

Edited by Manohlive

I just looked at the news headlines and saw Ric Ocasek died.  I'm in shock.  This one is already hitting me hard.  Thanks for posting, illumination70.  I'm glad someone already had done so.  Wow.  Sad.

• Like 1

Diahann Carroll.  First black lady to lead a series and it was 1969..  Tony Award.  NAACP Image Award. Golden Globe Award. Many other awards as well and she was so much fun on Dynasty in the 80's 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

Ginger Baker 

the cream of drummers.

Agreed - one of the very best drummers ever.

I’m glad I got to see him play at MSG on Cream’s reunion tour about 13 years ago. He was more impressive than drummers half a century younger even then.

• Like 1

Image result for picture of elijah cummings

Elijah Cummings   January 18, 1951-October 17, 2019.

This is a huge loss for my country.  He transcended politics.  I'm devestated.  It has nothing to do with current events.  This man was, and will alway be a hero.  imvho. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Image result for picture of elijah cummings

Elijah Cummings   January 18, 1951-October 17, 2019.

This is a huge loss for my country.  He transcended politics.  I'm devestated.  It has nothing to do with current events.  This man was, and will alway be a hero.  imvho. 

Fully agreed - and my opinion both does and doesn’t have to do with current events.

A true hero, indeed. Son of a sharecropper from South Carolina, his family made its way to Baltimore for the hope of a better life...to make a long story short, he graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Howard University. A true American success story.

I’m proud to say I donated money to him this year for all of his hard work. A true patriot.

R.I.P., Elijah.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dmway said:

R.I.P., Elijah.

68 is way too young.  I'm in shock.   He sincerely cared abot poor people.  It transcended politics.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmway said:

my opinion both does and doesn’t have to do with current events

I didn't want d to be a part of what I said.  I agree.  It's hard not to think about both.  It's not often I see people with trails of tears over the death of one of our politicians.  He was a leader before anything Washington.   I can only imagine the grief people in Baltimore, and all his constituents,  must be feeling.  I've been bummed since I heard the news yesterday.  Horrible loss during a terrible time.  

• Like 2