Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dmway

Record Store Day 2019

5 hours ago, DAYS_MOON said:

It is against the 'rules' as laid out by the organizers/founders of Record Store Day .A store is not allowed to to hold/reserve records , nor have them pre paid - goes against the whole spirit of the day . They take the matter seriously - they can ban a store from participating in future Record Store Days ( hence why they won't do it for you ) 

I did not realize that.  The man who owns the stores used to talk to me when I was a boy because I was always looking at or buying something.  My comments were not meant to be argumentative.  It was great watching everyone so excited this morning.  Coffee shops set up stands for the crowd.  I also got a mint condition Achtung Baby cd while waiting in line.  Mine skips at One/Wild Horses.  It was four bucks.  The booklet has never been opened.  It's the original cardboard packaging. I can burn this one and then preserve it.  The whole morning was wonderful.  

10 hours ago, Malahide said:

And a special release of 'Message in a Bottle' (The Police) for 24 euros. Only 1000 copies

Police, ThePOLICE MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE -RSD- 2x7'

I saw that in my store, or something else by The Police.  I didn't dare.  I bought too many concert tickets lately.  My musical budget is parched.  

I also saw a Songs of Experience box which was $87.99.  It was among the new releases all over the walls.  I could not leave the line to look at it.  They had one of them.  I could not get back through the crowd to look at it once I bought my U2 EP. 

I got up early and caught a 6am train to a nearby town to get my copy. When I left my home it was cold and dark , just before sunrise and so quiet and all the birds were twittering away  I thought to myself what a joyful beautiful day and it was- I secured a copy later. I feel that sometimes I do mad  things for U2 but rarely am I disappointed - the band always bring joy to my life

A side post, but related...

Has anyone looked at the special items made in conjunction with RDS in the store? They are very nice, but I have two problems:

1) Why didn’t they make t-shirts out of the wall-hanging images? (I would have considered buying two of them if they had)

and

2) The wall-hangings are very nice, but not enough to spend $45 each on them (IMHO, of course - I’m sure they’ll sell out regardless). If these were more reasonably priced, I would have already ordered one. Just because you may get away with charging more doesn’t mean you have to.

It would be refreshing for members to be treated to truly special prices for items such as these in the shop instead of “let’s-see-how-much-money-we-can-gouge-from-the-fanbase” strategy that Live Nation seems to employ in the pricing. The 25% discount we get is only for one item in any given subscription year. You know a discount like that could be extended beyond just one item - maybe not at 25% off everything, but perhaps a lower percentage to be used on multiple orders throughout the subscription year.

Just a thought...rant over.

3 hours ago, dmway said:

Has anyone looked at the special items made in conjunction with RDS in the store? They are very nice, but I have two problems:

I looked at it and found the merchandise boring.  I want something new or a new approach at something they've already done.  I love the EP art.  I'm framing it. If it's RSD-why not give us a vintage Pop poster or AB or EI using all the cool U2 imagery?  The RSD merchandise in the shop is not indicative of how awesome U2's art is when it comes to their albums and tours. I love Charles Chaplin but that poster bores me.  Connect his image, 'We Must Unite' and U2's art-I'd be chomping at the bit to buy it.  Just my opinion. 

The above being said-I love the EP art.  I stayed up all night to make sure I didn't oversleep and miss getting in line at 6 am so I'd get one.  I almost bought an album frame but I'm going to make my own using a buddy's wood shop.  I am very excited to wake up and see it hanging on my bedroom's music wall.  

Did anyone open their EP?  Are the stickers cool?   Mine is in the shrink wrap and shall remain that way until it goes into the frame. I can't risk something happening to this EP.  I'm too clumsy.  Are the stickers cool?   

21 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I looked at it and found the merchandise boring.  I want something new or a new approach at something they've already done.  I love the EP art.  I'm framing it. If it's RSD-why not give us a vintage Pop poster or AB or EI using all the cool U2 imagery?  The RSD merchandise in the shop is not indicative of how awesome U2's art is when it comes to their albums and tours. I love Charles Chaplin but that poster bores me.  Connect his image, 'We Must Unite' and U2's art-I'd be chomping at the bit to buy it.  Just my opinion. 

No - they missed a trick there too. Having items with the EP art seems like an obvious thing to you and me (and to most reasonable people), but, so far, nothing. Maybe it’s coming(?) - but I’m not holding my breath because they still don’t have MacPhisto-themed stuff from the e&i tour either, and that also seemed like a no-brainer. I guess we can still hope for this when the e&i DVD/BluRay comes out, but what the hell is wrong with striking while the iron is still hot?

My original post also is inspired by my frustrations from ordering in the shop in general in the first place. I would actually like to buy stuff more often from it, but either the items aren’t brilliant, the cost for any item is too high (this is almost always true), and/or the cost for the shipping is too high (this is always true). Thus, I reiterate what I wrote above.

5 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Did anyone open their EP?  Are the stickers cool?  

The stickers are the same images as found on the RSD store items. Slogans like "Prosperity is watching you," "We must unite," and so on.

6 hours ago, dmway said:

My original post also is inspired by my frustrations from ordering in the shop in general in the first place. I would actually like to buy stuff more often from it, but either the items aren’t brilliant, the cost for any item is too high (this is almost always true), and/or the cost for the shipping is too high (this is always true). Thus, I reiterate what I wrote above.

I am going to use my discount this year.  It will be the first time.  Hopefully it will go well. I've decided I want, and will wear, the silver JT pendant. I'm happy to resubscribe next month.  Some may disagree but we get a lot of bang for our buck.  I never would have known about today's release, leave alone be up so early  (not sleep all night so I could) to stand in line so long in the cold, only to stand in line even longer to check out, had I not been a part of U2.com.  Yesterday was wonderful.  It was an event.  I heard there were over 200 people in line at my local store..  You couldn't move to look around at stuff, even though everyone was doing so and apologizing in the process.  The whole experience was very pleasant.  People were buying hundreds of dollars of vinyl..  I had no idea it was so big.  It was a very nice crowd.  I had quite a few good conversations about music.  Everyone was cool.  

Sorry for another post but does anyone know if the SOE box was released specifically for yesterday?  It was in with the RSD releases.  I thought it had already been released. It looked like the same one.  Was this a special for yesterday?  It was $87.99 by me.  I wish I could have looked at it but the store was too busy.   . 

2 hours ago, CorkVegan said:

The stickers are the same images as found on the RSD store items. Slogans like "Prosperity is watching you," "We must unite," and so on.

What is the other insert I read about inside? I still haven't opened it yet and may not for a while.

54 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I am going to use my discount this year.  It will be the first time.  Hopefully it will go well. I've decided I want, and will wear, the silver JT pendant. I'm happy to resubscribe next month.  Some may disagree but we get a lot of bang for our buck.  I never would have known about today's release, leave alone be up so early  (not sleep all night so I could) to stand in line so long in the cold, only to stand in line even longer to check out, had I not been a part of U2.com.  Yesterday was wonderful.  It was an event.  I heard there were over 200 people in line at my local store..  You couldn't move to look around at stuff, even though everyone was doing so and apologizing in the process.  The whole experience was very pleasant.  People were buying hundreds of dollars of vinyl..  I had no idea it was so big.  It was a very nice crowd.  I had quite a few good conversations about music.  Everyone was cool.  

First, I'm glad you had such a good time yesterday. It was nice doing an old-fashioned thing like lining up outside a record store - although in the past, I did that more for concert tickets than for new releases (I'm not old enough to have bought records when Led Zeppelin was in the prime of their popularity). I don't want to belabor the point too, but an overwhelming majority of official band sites and forums now are completely free of charge - e.g., R.E.M. fans found out about their "Bingo Hand Job" RSD release Saturday without paying a cent. (When R.E.M. was still an active band, they only charged $10 a year for full benefits too.) Metallica charged for their site memberships until about 2-3 years ago, but they stopped because they felt like continuing to charge was just fleecing their fans - their forum and other site benefits (including concert pre-sales) are completely free now.

I'm glad you found something you wanted in the shop. I'm pleased when I have the same experience - many years go by when I don't use the coupon at all. Thus, my suggestion that they use the discount more widely in the shop. I truly would like to buy more, but the cost and the associated shipping prevent me from doing so.

48 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

Sorry for another post but does anyone know if the SOE box was released specifically for yesterday?  It was in with the RSD releases.  I thought it had already been released. It looked like the same one.  Was this a special for yesterday?  It was $87.99 by me.  I wish I could have looked at it but the store was too busy.   . 

I'm sure it was the same as the original SOE box. The site would have definitely informed us if it were a release unique to RSD. I don't think an act has ever released two different items on the same Record Store Day, but perhaps I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, dmway said:

'm sure it was the same as the original SOE box. The site would have definitely informed us if it were a release unique to RSD.

That's as I thought.  Someone probably put it up thinking it was a record store day special.  They had a lot of records on the walls.  Thanks, dmway

Superb release. Great packaging and great tunes. I think demand on the ground was up on other years too.

Could we get wav downloads on u2.com or could I add my voice to those looking for a for-purchase digital release? There is a clamour for rips/ copies from folks who were unable to get to a participating store so the demand is there. 

11 hours ago, dmway said:

What is the other insert I read about inside? I still haven't opened it yet and may not for a while.

It is heavy, good quality glossy paper that is folded in two to create a pamphlet about 12x12. On the front is the entire Chaplin speech. Inside both pages are taken up of a live shot of the audience and E+I screen. This also has the credits for the music on the ep.

5 hours ago, Anam said:

Superb release. Great packaging and great tunes. I think demand on the ground was up on other years too.

Could we get wav downloads on u2.com or could I add my voice to those looking for a for-purchase digital release? There is a clamour for rips/ copies from folks who were unable to get to a participating store so the demand is there. 

YES! Thank you for saying this! I’m usually the voice in the wilderness here asking for WAV downloads, so it was very heartwarming to read someone else say it too! 

I also think that this is exactly the kind of thing that should be given to the subscribers here. Release the vinyl first, then offer the WAV downloads to members here in short order. It would be a fitting perk of membership.

1 hour ago, CorkVegan said:

It is heavy, good quality glossy paper that is folded in two to create a pamphlet about 12x12. On the front is the entire Chaplin speech. Inside both pages are taken up of a live shot of the audience and E+I screen. This also has the credits for the music on the ep.

Thank you very much for describing it! Now, I will be opening it sooner rather than later. 😎

I'm happy to lend weight to every 'release the wavs' call, particularly for vinyl-only releases. I'd be just as happy to get it from Qobuz or 7 Digital though or on a download card with the record. 

2 hours ago, Anam said:

I'm happy to lend weight to every 'release the wavs' call, particularly for vinyl-only releases. I'd be just as happy to get it from Qobuz or 7 Digital though or on a download card with the record. 

YES (again)! Really, all RSD releases should have download cards (or the equivalent).

No amount of vinyl released on RSD will make it 1975 again. 2019 is 2019 - and, in 2019 and beyond, people stream/download music and will continue to do both in perpetuity. By all means, release the stuff on vinyl first if you wish to, but not releasing it eventually in digital formats is just pig-headed. If you were a musical act, why would you want to deny the ability of your music to reach all of your fans? It would just be a very silly and inconsiderate thing to choose to do that.

Well, we live in hope...

To be fair, the majority of U2 vinyl releases through UMG have wav download cards and that's much appreciated, along with the vinyl fanclub releases in mp3/wav. With RSD the objective is to give the shops involved a shot in the arm and early downloads would potentially undercut that. I'm very happy for vinyl to have centre stage in 2019!

I honestly have no gripe with or criticism of the status quo. But you can't play records in the car. (Yet!!) 😎 Audacity = hard. Downloads = easy. Pure laziness! Hopefully once the vinyl is sold out the digital versions will follow.

With apologies for the double post, I just love the idea of bombarding the world with enough vinyl to make it 1975 again @dmway

4 minutes ago, Anam said:

With apologies for the double post, I just love the idea of bombarding the world with enough vinyl to make it 1975 again @dmway

And yet no amount of vinyl will ever make that happen. 😱 Downloads are even better environmentally as well - when that catches on more broadly, oh boy... (Carbon is hard to avoid...)

8 minutes ago, Anam said:

To be fair, the majority of U2 vinyl releases through UMG have wav download cards and that's much appreciated, along with the vinyl fanclub releases in mp3/wav. With RSD the objective is to give the shops involved a shot in the arm and early downloads would potentially undercut that. I'm very happy for vinyl to have centre stage in 2019!

I honestly have no gripe with or criticism of the status quo. But you can't play records in the car. (Yet!!) 😎 Audacity = hard. Downloads = easy. Pure laziness! Hopefully once the vinyl is sold out the digital versions will follow.

Yes, the new album releases have had the cards, to their credit - but that approach is very hit and miss with RSD releases: some acts do it; some acts don’t. It really ought to be uniform - they should all have them. Ironically, including the cards would increase the sales of the titles offered - it’s a win-win.