Sign in to follow this  
mich40

Fake U2 Social Media Accounts

A note from the moderators:

It has been brought to our attention on several occasions, people trying to impersonate one of the band members or someone associated with the band. Please be aware of a few things:

-The only official social media pages for the band are the ones with the authenticity checkmark like this:

7C8440A6-F9CF-4F7F-8128-83341F698316.jpeg

main social media:

https://www.instagram.com/u2/

https://twitter.com/u2

https://www.facebook.com/u2/

https://www.youtube.com/user/U2official/

https://u2.tumblr.com/

-No member of the band currently has personal social media accounts. All communication comes from the official pages listed above. 

-Any account that claims to be a band member and says “personal account of [Bono, Larry, Edge, Adam or any variation of their name]” most definitely is NOT a member of the band. 

-At no time will any member of the band, the band’s management, the moderators, or anyone associated with the band ever contact you via private message asking for passwords, personal information, or money for (but not limited to) things such as meet and greets. 

In the event you should come across someone impersonating the band or someone associated with the band:

-First and foremost, report that account to whichever social media platform you have seen it on. This is the biggest part of getting the impersonation stopped. 

-Please add the information in this thread to make others aware and to use caution. 

-If you don’t feel comfortable adding information here, send a private message to myself, Max and Bigwave so we can have a look at it. As Zootopia is our primary residence, sometimes you guys are our eyes and ears on the social media platforms. 

Thanks to all Zootopians and take care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, utwothefly said:

I thought edge had one at one point?

Edge did use one during the 360 tour to post photos, but it became defunct after the tour was over in 2011. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mich40 said:

Edge did use one during the 360 tour to post photos, but it became defunct after the tour was over in 2011. 

I was thinking the same :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mich40 said:

Good to know 👍 I only post on the U2 ones anyway, mainly the FB one. Some good pics lately from Edge and Adam 

Edited by utwothefly

Important note about Twitter - as far as I understand, everyone can get the "verified" checkbox. You have to be extra careful there. 

• Like 2

There is an instagram account called #u2oficial (with just one “f”) many people believe it’s legit 😡

A1DDAAC0-26E3-4AA2-830C-BC818BAEEDBC.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ferferu2 said:

There is an instagram account called #u2oficial (with just one “f”) many people believe it’s legit 😡

[IMAGE]

thanks... we will pass the information... 

please also report it...

4 hours ago, Kristaps said:

Important note about Twitter - as far as I understand, everyone can get the "verified" checkbox. You have to be extra careful there. 

Actually, their verification program is currently on hold and no new applications are being accepted right now. Best to be extra careful everywhere and remember that official accounts are those listed in the first post. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@U2_1490 is on twitter at minute trying to resemble the real thing, using same twitter image etc, retweeting u2 official tweets. Not sure if them but seen other fans report being contacted about meet and greets, 1000 for 24 hours with bono!

Edited by jonno77
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jonno77 said:

@U2_1490 is on twitter at minute trying to resemble the real thing, using same twitter image etc, retweeting u2 official tweets. Not sure if them but seen other fans report being contacted about meet and greets, 1000 for 24 hours with bono!

thanks for the notification... please keep reporting...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is another @SeanLowe009 claiming to be in U2’s mgmt and thinking fans are gullible enough to believe Bono will do house visits for as cheap as €300. Was wanting me to hook up via an app called hangout. Kept pestering even though I asked if I could pay by carrier pigeon.

• Haha 4
  • Brilliant 1

20 minutes ago, jonno77 said:

There is another @SeanLowe009 claiming to be in U2’s mgmt and thinking fans are gullible enough to believe Bono will do house visits for as cheap as €300. Was wanting me to hook up via an app called hangout. Kept pestering even though I asked if I could pay by carrier pigeon. 

PM sent

• Thanks 1

Do you mean to say that Bono, Edge and Adam didn't actually message me on Insta to thank me for my nice words and support? That's so sad... or actually, more than sad, it's heartbreaking! 😉

I was approached by three fake accounts but all they had to offer were nice words! Happy to let you know who they were in a personal message if you'd like, but don't think they have any harm in them.

2 hours ago, clemmie_mandarin said:

Do you mean to say that Bono, Edge and Adam didn't actually message me on Insta to thank me for my nice words and support? That's so sad... or actually, more than sad, it's heartbreaking! 😉

I was approached by three fake accounts but all they had to offer were nice words! Happy to let you know who they were in a personal message if you'd like, but don't think they have any harm in them.

You decide if you think it's worth to send the information...
about harm/no harm... from conversations with fans who have interacted with these accounts we have found that the nice words come first... the requests for money comes a bit later...

but as previously mentioned... your choice.

15 hours ago, clemmie_mandarin said:

13 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

You decide if you think it's worth to send the information...
about harm/no harm... from conversations with fans who have interacted with these accounts we have found that the nice words come first... the requests for money comes a bit later...

but as previously mentioned... your choice.

Exactly what Max said. They start with the kind words to see who is vulnerable/can be manipulated  enough to hope it is actually them. 

• Like 1

Two have contacted me on Instagram. _u2.bono and paul_david_hewson_u2. The later even showed me a fake ID. When reporting, do I report them as spam? The only options I see are “spam” or “inappropriate”, 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vertigo3333 said:

Two have contacted me on Instagram. _u2.bono and paul_david_hewson_u2. The later even showed me a fake ID. When reporting, do I report them as spam? The only options I see are “spam” or “inappropriate”, 

Report as “inappropriate” and that will take you through a few comments, which will include “this person in impersonating someone”. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 9:22 AM, mich40 said:

Report as “inappropriate” and that will take you through a few comments, which will include “this person in impersonating someone”. 

So much for that, Instagram decided that the paul_david_hewson_u2 account is not violating community guidelines. I called him out on the fake ID and got blocked before I could screen capture it 😆. I ended up not reporting the other because it’s public posts look more like a fan page, but users should still be wary if that page contacts them. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vertigo3333 said:

So much for that, Instagram decided that the paul_david_hewson_u2 account is not violating community guidelines. I called him out on the fake ID and got blocked before I could screen capture it 😆. I ended up not reporting the other because it’s public posts look more like a fan page, but users should still be wary if that page contacts them. 

Same here! I wonder if it's because they don't each have a separate, official Instagram account, but just the one U2 account. When reporting I had to submit the official account that the paul_david_hewson_u2 account was impersonating and potentially Instagram doesn't see it as a violation because there is no official Bono account? Anyway, we tried, and they might reconsider when enough people report him. Can't believe he showed you a fake ID by the way....

On 3/25/2019 at 4:08 AM, clemmie_mandarin said:

Same here! I wonder if it's because they don't each have a separate, official Instagram account, but just the one U2 account. When reporting I had to submit the official account that the paul_david_hewson_u2 account was impersonating and potentially Instagram doesn't see it as a violation because there is no official Bono account? Anyway, we tried, and they might reconsider when enough people report him. Can't believe he showed you a fake ID by the way....

That's what I figure too. I have a feeling it isn't an actual person comparing accounts most of the time but just software, it's easy enough to catch accounts that totally copy posts from whoever they are impersonating, but when this guy is not doing that then he can't be caught so easily. And also because you have to report the official U2 account. 

I only wish I had thought to take a screenshot of it! That would certainly give more reason to suspend that account, and prove that I'm not making it up (which I really am not). But I was so offended that someone went that far that I just told him that must be a fake and he deleted it right away and blocked me. Hopefully others report this and Instagram figures it out. 

Posted (edited)

I'm curious who the other impersonators are?

Edited by keyo32198

I' m so incredibly ashamed and emberesed embaressed but I have tp tell my story to protect other U2 fans. I have been a U2 fan since I was 14 1985. I am a bright educated woman but I got scammed.

On Instagram "The Edge" approached me. At first I thought it was too good to be true but then I got  sucked in. And by the way it was too good to be true. He promised me a meet and greet but talked to me a while before he hooked me. This man is very very believable. There is also a multiple fake Bono's but one that is working with this Fake Edge.  There Instagram names are _u2.bono_ and the other is u2.Edge_. This person impersonating the Edge went as far as having his "Assistant" Send me a "Meet and Greet" invitation it all looked very official to me. There were red flags for sure but as a fan of 34 years I so wanted it to be true. To date this man has gotten $5.000 out of me! $5,000! I am so ashamed and I am not a wealthy woman. If anyone has any questions regarding these two people and the interactions I had I am more than happy to share my experiences. I don't want this to happen to anyone else. I did meet a lovely woman from another country that had thousands taken from her,. There are multiple fake Bono's. One of them contacted me about donating to a secret foundation in Brazil and was extremely pushy. Then another Fake Edge immediately sent me a nasty message. after I told the other fake Bono that there is no such foundation. I have met a nice fan  on Instagram that is from another country who has also had thousands of dollars stolen from her. There are so many victims out there.

Bono, Edge, Larry, Adam if you ever read these threads please know this is the most painful thing I have ever gone through.

Please everyone on social media be careful. I am more than willing to answer questions if anyone has any.

God Bless,

keyo32198525630254_Fakebono.thumb.jpg.bb9a7759be44aa9de8059ec1f6109a4f.jpg

Fake Edge Instagram Profile.JPG

Fake Bono Passport.JPG

• Sad 2

There are also fake accounts on gmail and “hangouts “... with “real”-sounding conversations, sometimes using different names such as “David Howell Adams”. Will pm moderator when I get info together.