mich40

Fake U2 Social Media Accounts

Recommended Posts

A note from the moderators:

It has been brought to our attention on several occasions, people trying to impersonate one of the band members or someone associated with the band. Please be aware of a few things:

-The only official social media pages for the band are the ones with the authenticity checkmark like this:

7C8440A6-F9CF-4F7F-8128-83341F698316.jpeg

main social media:

https://www.instagram.com/u2/

https://twitter.com/u2

https://www.facebook.com/u2/

https://www.youtube.com/user/U2official/

https://u2.tumblr.com/

-No member of the band currently has personal social media accounts. All communication comes from the official pages listed above. 

-Any account that claims to be a band member and says “personal account of [Bono, Larry, Edge, Adam or any variation of their name]” most definitely is NOT a member of the band. 

-At no time will any member of the band, the band’s management, the moderators, or anyone associated with the band ever contact you via private message asking for passwords, personal information, or money for (but not limited to) things such as meet and greets. 

 

In the event you should come across someone impersonating the band or someone associated with the band:

-First and foremost, report that account to whichever social media platform you have seen it on. This is the biggest part of getting the impersonation stopped. 

-Please add the information in this thread to make others aware and to use caution. 

-If you don’t feel comfortable adding information here, send a private message to myself, Max and Bigwave so we can have a look at it. As Zootopia is our primary residence, sometimes you guys are our eyes and ears on the social media platforms. 

 

Thanks to all Zootopians and take care.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, utwothefly said:

I thought edge had one at one point?

Edge did use one during the 360 tour to post photos, but it became defunct after the tour was over in 2011. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mich40 said:

Edge did use one during the 360 tour to post photos, but it became defunct after the tour was over in 2011. 

I was thinking the same :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mich40 said:

Edge did use one during the 360 tour to post photos, but it became defunct after the tour was over in 2011. 

Good to know 👍 I only post on the U2 ones anyway, mainly the FB one. Some good pics lately from Edge and Adam 

Edited by utwothefly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Important note about Twitter - as far as I understand, everyone can get the "verified" checkbox. You have to be extra careful there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an instagram account called #u2oficial (with just one “f”) many people believe it’s legit 😡

A1DDAAC0-26E3-4AA2-830C-BC818BAEEDBC.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ferferu2 said:

There is an instagram account called #u2oficial (with just one “f”) many people believe it’s legit 😡

[IMAGE]

1

thanks... we will pass the information... 

 

please also report it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kristaps said:

Important note about Twitter - as far as I understand, everyone can get the "verified" checkbox. You have to be extra careful there. 

Actually, their verification program is currently on hold and no new applications are being accepted right now. Best to be extra careful everywhere and remember that official accounts are those listed in the first post. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@U2_1490 is on twitter at minute trying to resemble the real thing, using same twitter image etc, retweeting u2 official tweets. Not sure if them but seen other fans report being contacted about meet and greets, 1000 for 24 hours with bono!

Edited by jonno77
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jonno77 said:

@U2_1490 is on twitter at minute trying to resemble the real thing, using same twitter image etc, retweeting u2 official tweets. Not sure if them but seen other fans report being contacted about meet and greets, 1000 for 24 hours with bono!

thanks for the notification... please keep reporting...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is another @SeanLowe009 claiming to be in U2’s mgmt and thinking fans are gullible enough to believe Bono will do house visits for as cheap as €300. Was wanting me to hook up via an app called hangout. Kept pestering even though I asked if I could pay by carrier pigeon.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jonno77 said:

There is another @SeanLowe009 claiming to be in U2’s mgmt and thinking fans are gullible enough to believe Bono will do house visits for as cheap as €300. Was wanting me to hook up via an app called hangout. Kept pestering even though I asked if I could pay by carrier pigeon. 

PM sent

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you mean to say that Bono, Edge and Adam didn't actually message me on Insta to thank me for my nice words and support? That's so sad... or actually, more than sad, it's heartbreaking! 😉

I was approached by three fake accounts but all they had to offer were nice words! Happy to let you know who they were in a personal message if you'd like, but don't think they have any harm in them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clemmie_mandarin said:

Do you mean to say that Bono, Edge and Adam didn't actually message me on Insta to thank me for my nice words and support? That's so sad... or actually, more than sad, it's heartbreaking! 😉

I was approached by three fake accounts but all they had to offer were nice words! Happy to let you know who they were in a personal message if you'd like, but don't think they have any harm in them.

1

You decide if you think it's worth to send the information...
about harm/no harm... from conversations with fans who have interacted with these accounts we have found that the nice words come first... the requests for money comes a bit later...

but as previously mentioned... your choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, clemmie_mandarin said:

Do you mean to say that Bono, Edge and Adam didn't actually message me on Insta to thank me for my nice words and support? That's so sad... or actually, more than sad, it's heartbreaking! 😉

I was approached by three fake accounts but all they had to offer were nice words! Happy to let you know who they were in a personal message if you'd like, but don't think they have any harm in them.

 

 

13 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

You decide if you think it's worth to send the information...
about harm/no harm... from conversations with fans who have interacted with these accounts we have found that the nice words come first... the requests for money comes a bit later...

but as previously mentioned... your choice.

Exactly what Max said. They start with the kind words to see who is vulnerable/can be manipulated  enough to hope it is actually them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.