Sign in to follow this  
stateless

Cat 5 ticket location?

Not at all familiar with any of the venues on this tour, but my Melbourne friend is considering cat 5 (cheapest) tickets. Does anyone know where those seats will be located? And is the view completely horrendous? It's a huge step up to cat3, which is her max spend, so if there's not much difference in view, then will try cat 5 first.

I bought category 2 for Perth and that is tier 2. I'm thinking for MARVEL Stadium cat3 is going to be in the highest stand.

Posted (edited)

Hi stateless, I know Docklands well (Marvel Stadium) and cat 5 is likely to be the upper rows in tier 3 so likely towards the back. You will be able to tell by the row letters anyway which start at A. I’ve sat in the first few rows of tier 3 on the side for Coldplay before and that was fine but I imagine that would be equivalent to cat 3. I think if the cat 5 seats are more on the side would be ok, although still a long way up, but if the seats are towards the back of the stadium and top of tier 3 it would be a long way from the stage! Otherwise I would consider going GA for value. Always the best atmosphere even if you don’t go towards the front. I saw this show in GA in London about midfield and it was the best U2 show I have been to. Good luck with your tickets!

Edited by NatPaine

Thanks for the advice. Will try for cat3. GA is the least preferred option, but also not yet completely out of the question. I did check cat5 in Adelaide during the LN presale, and yes, it was pretty awful. Assume Melbourne will be the same.

Posted (edited)

I haven't seen any Cat 5 tickets available in the LN presale. Or any tickets with restricted views for that matter. I'd assume Cat 5 tickets will be pretty horrendous this time around. For 360 the Cat 5 (& Cat 4) tickets behind the stage were an absolute bargain. Sure the band was facing the other way, but these seats were as close as any seats in the stadium!

Note that it's only select venues that don't have Cat 4 seats (both Sydney & Melbourne don't have them, not sure about Perth), Both Brisbane & Adelaide to have them. So yes, it's a very steep jump from seats costing $60 up to seats costing $190!

One pointer, ticket sales have changed in the last few years. In the US & Europe TM are now using what they call "Dynamic Pricing". They don't initially price tickets for instant sellouts. Instead they start off with tickets at high prices. If demand is low they reduce the price of tickets as the approach the show date.  If you're looking at a venue with a second show it may be worth waiting. It's a little bit of a risk, & you have to keep an idea of how sales are going. But in the US there were absolute bargains about. Whole sections where seats that had been on sale for a couple of hundred dollars were reduced to $30-$40 (& now said restricted view, where they previously did not).

If you want to get a bit of an idea how the current prices look, have a look at the Sydney thread. I've made a map that shows the distribution of seats by price. Should help out a bit to give you a bit of an idea what seats cost at the moment.

Edited by ddarroch
  • Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

I fully expect there will be price drops for top pricing tiers. Can't imagine that many people are going to pay that kind of money to actually sell all the tickets in the first go. My first try at cat1 Adelaide was 3rd tier! Later pulled lower level but half a field from the stage. My cat3 ticket is only 2 sections further away - at that point it's worth the saving for essentially the same view. If I were buying a single ticket, I might wait it out for 2nd shows, but there will be 3 of us sitting together, so will just secure good cat3. You're right about pricing distribution - very much like North America and Europe. I bought very few cat1 for those, too! 

12 hours ago, ddarroch said:

One pointer, ticket sales have changed in the last few years. In the US & Europe TM are now using what they call "Dynamic Pricing". They don't initially price tickets for instant sellouts. Instead they start off with tickets at high prices. If demand is low they reduce the price of tickets as the approach the show date.  If you're looking at a venue with a second show it may be worth waiting. It's a little bit of a risk, & you have to keep an idea of how sales are going. But in the US there were absolute bargains about. Whole sections where seats that had been on sale for a couple of hundred dollars were reduced to $30-$40 (& now said restricted view, where they previously did not).

I hate it that they do that. I got nothing wrong with people getting a bargain but for us U2 fans who want to buy tickets straight away, we pay full price and get offered blocks further away from the stage :Zoo_Baby: 

I think the price of GA tickets are a bargain but I want seats cause of my medical condition. so I gotta take what the pre-sale has to offer... wait I'm b*tching, must stop now.  

GrumpyCatAvatar.jpg

• Like 1

You're right though. Dynamic pricing is a good way to upset your fan base. Pay through the nose, & then find out the casuals sitting beside you only paid half price. Not a good look, or a good way to keep your most devoted fans happy.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 8:37 PM, ddarroch said:

You're right though. Dynamic pricing is a good way to upset your fan base. Pay through the nose, & then find out the casuals sitting beside you only paid half price. Not a good look, or a good way to keep your most devoted fans happy.

exactly.

On 6/7/2019 at 8:37 AM, ddarroch said:

Happened to me in St Louis on the EI tour. Paid for silver VIP (great seat), but the couple next to me bought their tickets 2 days earlier and paid half the price. Sure, they didn't get the VIP gift book, but still. If I weren't traveling so far for this and didn't have to worry about getting seats together with other people, I would be more willing to just chance it. Guarantee the next time they do a stadium tour in the US, I'm going to wait for dynamic pricing to kick in for all but opening night. It would be nice if they'd offer long-term fan club members lower prices to start. Especially if they haven't toured in a few years. Make it worth paying to keep yourself active during down years.

• Like 1