Sign in to follow this  
BVB65

Playing Songs from SOI and SOE into the JTT 2019 Set List

It would be nice to see the band perform songs from SOI and SOE, while performing the Joshua Tree in its entirety. It would be a gift to the people of Australia,Japan, South Korea, Singapore and the Philippines, as the band hasn't toured that part of the world since the 360 tour.

But the band will more than likely stick to a theme as they did during JTT 2017. They had pulled it off brilliantly by performing songs prior to the JT and songs after the JT, while mixing in YTBTAM and TLTTTYA from SOE.

Here is to hoping the fans down under get a treat.

Having seen I&E and E&I as well as The Joshua Tree 2017, I'm hoping everyone going to these shows gets a healthy dose of both those albums.

Me too. Loved both arena tours & feel some of the new songs will translate well in a stadium. Especially Blackout on the mother of all screens! I was surprised how good Love is Bigger was live, & think it could be a great closer.

I feel that the old school start to JT 2017 worked, but didn't enjoy the set after the JT album. So I'd definitely want changes to the later parts of the set, to incorporate SoI & SoE.

Actually, although I enjoyed it, I hope they also scrap the old school opening & start with the JT, straight off the bat! Unlike Europe & the US in summer, all shows for this leg will start after sunset. So it will be possible to open with Streets, without the visuals being negatively effected.

Yes, I know, most people think it would be crazy to open with Streets. It's best with a good build up, & a great segue. It also gets the crowd going, bringing that middle part of a show to life.

True. But opening with the JT leaves a lot of room later in the show for the newer material & highlights from the arena tours, which this part of the world missed out on.

After Mothers of the Disappeared, we could get a trippy intermission, along the lines of The Fly, HMTMKMKM & LIAWHL. Then straight into The Blackout. Boom, total change of tempo & atmosphere. Perfect to introduce U2's newer material (& some classics) to Oceania & Asia.

Highly unlikely, probably not a popular view, but I think it could be great.

Edited by ddarroch
  • Like 1

Agreed with all of the above.. I'd be ok with them cutting out some of the "hits" that aren't on JT and playing some songs that haven't been played much from I&E/E&I  

• Like 1

This would be a great set list for JTT 2019, to satisfy the fans that haven't seen the I&E and E&I tours:

1) The Miracle of Joey Ramone

2) The Blackout

3) Lights of Home

4-15) The Joshua Tree album played in it's entirety

16) Raised By Wolves

17) Get Out Of Your Own Way

18) The Troubles

19) Your The Best Thing About Me

20) Song For Someone

21) Every Breaking Wave

22) The Little Things That Give You Away

23) Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way

This would allow fans to experience the new songs live while getting to hear the Joshua Tree performed live. The band could tweak the set list as the tour progresses.

Here's one I put on U2Start. As described above.

Startingwith the JT album, to leave room for highlights off the recent albums & arena tours. Long set, as this part of the world has been ignored for a while.

Never going to happen.

The Joshua Tree + i+e+i
1. Where the Streets Have No Name
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3. With or Without You
4. Bullet the Blue Sky
5. Running to Stand Still
6. Red Hill Mining Town
7. In God's Country
8. Trip Through Your Wires
9. One Tree Hill
10. Exit
11. Mothers of the Disappeared

*** Intermission (Love Is All We Have Left) ***

12. The Blackout
13. Lights Of Home / Red Flag Day
14. Zoo Station
15. The Fly
16. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
17. Desire / All I Want is You
18. Acrobat
19. Summer Of Love / Starting At The Sun
20. New Year's Day / A Sort Of Homecoming
21. Raised By Wolves
22. Until the End of the World

****** Encore ******

23. Beautiful Day / Vertigo
24. Gone / Bad
25. One
26. Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way / The Little Things That Give You Away

• Brilliant 1

On 9/9/2019 at 3:19 AM, ddarroch said:

Here's one I put on U2Start. As described above.

Startingwith the JT album, to leave room for highlights off the recent albums & arena tours. Long set, as this part of the world has been ignored for a while.

Never going to happen.

The Joshua Tree + i+e+i
1. Where the Streets Have No Name
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3. With or Without You
4. Bullet the Blue Sky
5. Running to Stand Still
6. Red Hill Mining Town
7. In God's Country
8. Trip Through Your Wires
9. One Tree Hill
10. Exit
11. Mothers of the Disappeared

*** Intermission (Love Is All We Have Left) ***

12. The Blackout
13. Lights Of Home / Red Flag Day
14. Zoo Station
15. The Fly
16. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
17. Desire / All I Want is You
18. Acrobat
19. Summer Of Love / Starting At The Sun
20. New Year's Day / A Sort Of Homecoming
21. Raised By Wolves
22. Until the End of the World

****** Encore ******

23. Beautiful Day / Vertigo
24. Gone / Bad
25. One
26. Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way / The Little Things That Give You Away

This would be an incredible show!!!  

12 hours ago, x3driver said:

This would be an incredible show!!!  

Yes, it would. 

It's a nice idea, but that would cater more to the more dedicated fans. The casual fans (who are probably not on this forum) would likely prefer the more well known hits from back when. And it would seem a bit out of step with the theme of the show as they chose to keep the JT name for the tour. (better for sales of course) I wouldn't put it past them to come up with a 1 or 2 song surprise, different from the 2017 tour, but don't get your hopes up.

On 9/20/2019 at 9:32 PM, Daniel said:

It's a nice idea, but that would cater more to the more dedicated fans. The casual fans (who are probably not on this forum) would likely prefer the more well known hits from back when. And it would seem a bit out of step with the theme of the show as they chose to keep the JT name for the tour. (better for sales of course) I wouldn't put it past them to come up with a 1 or 2 song surprise, different from the 2017 tour, but don't get your hopes up.

Not sure if you're replying to my set list or the OP. I think my set list has enough hits, but what it really lacks is the older stuff, that opened 2017.

But yeah, you're right. No use getting hopes up, as it's most likely 2017 with a couple of changes.