U2Community

'U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE – LIVE IN BERLIN'

They would certainly please a lot more people if they offered a choice of formats with these gifts (CD or vinyl, DVD or BluRay, etc), but I've no idea how practical it would be. I think the only time we've ever had options is when they did T-shirts as part of the Slane gift, and you could choose your preferred design and size.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Canadanne said:

They would certainly please a lot more people if they offered a choice of formats with these gifts (CD or vinyl, DVD or BluRay, etc), but I've no idea how practical it would be. I think the only time we've ever had options is when they did T-shirts as part of the Slane gift, and you could choose your preferred design and size.

I don’t wish to belabor the point - many of us have already said a lot on the previous two pages.

However, if there were simply the will at the corporate level, these options would be indeed be possible. Both LiveNation and Universal Music are multi-billion dollar, multinational corporations. We repeat subscribers all give them $40 (or local equivalent) a year every year here. I don’t think lack of resources can really be used as a potential explanation for lack of choices.

If however either/both are closer to the poor house than I am acknowledging, charging more for a BluRay (or whatever the deluxe version is) would be the simple solution. See - how many formats and what those formats include are already known things. It would be nice for us to know how this release (which is wonderful) is going to be rolled out when it hits the marketplace. If it is a DVD-only, fan-club-only release, then we are indeed being given a treat; however, if there will be a wider release in higher-definition formats, why can’t we order those when we renew? Why can’t the paid U2.com membership be able to obtain those, even if there were more charged in the fee? I bet very many of us would have taken advantage of that.

Well, as I said in my last post, I remain optimistic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Canadanne said:

only time we've ever had options is when they did T-shirts as part of the Slane gift, and you could choose your preferred design and size.

only time I remember

You just know there's gonna be a bluray edition in the shops soon after the fanclub dvd. Plus you can bet there will be a collectors edition platinum version in a box, like everything else U2 release these days.

It's just like concert tickets, you get standard tickets and then the enhanced packages that cost loads more. That's how Livenation make their money, squeezing every last penny they can out of the fans, cause they know full well

fans will buy it.

It's just the way the industry is gone now that the albums don't sell as much as they used to because of streaming etc. However I just wish Livenation would listen to fans and try to provide a better experience with the money fans pay out.

• Like 1

This is the worst U2 Subscriber gift ever....a  DVD in 2020...what planet are they on...its free on You Tube....

C'mon U2 give us something to look forward to.........

• Like 1

DVD? Are we in 2020 or I'm from the future? 🤔

Seriously, I can't paid $40/50 for this!! It's a shame  

The more I think about it the more I’m convinced the show won’t be released in any other physical format and they’ll skip straight to a 4k digital only release commercially. This would be ideal because for those of us that opt for a physical item we would be getting an exclusive item and the most popular physical format as DVD’s still outsell blu Ray or 4K and for people that prefer to focus on quality they will get the very best with the digital release. There isn’t any need to release it in blu Ray as it is neither the number 1 selling physical format nor is it the best quality format and 4K DVD’s sell quite badly so they don’t need to release it physically in that format. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 12:49 AM, grahammur said:

I hope we get the option of downloading the audio files in high quality.

Me Too, sincerely !!!!

Edited by pain_18_
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 10:49 PM, grahammur said:

I hope we get the option of downloading the audio files in high quality.

this needs to happen please 

• Like 1

I have to say DVD in 2020 Of a show filmed in 4K is a real slap in a face... 

the same happened with last Coldplay video release - only dvd 

you guys may not realize it but 142minutes with possible LPCM, DD5.1 and DTS 5.1 will mean a lot of compression and quality of video will really be poor! Just check out Chicago DVD there are so many artifacts for the very same reason... I believe it (2005) was shot in HD and begs for HD release and now 2018 show in SD ... what a way to show to your fans we do not really care just give them something and grab the 40usd 

sad

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I  like the idea of a video of a show as subscriber gift but I agree that DVD is really outdated.  If they were looking to cut costs maybe throw a digital code for an HD version and just send the booklet.  Still not as bad as that Duets one or whatever it was called.  I don't even want to justify its existence by looking up the correct name.......

• Like 1

Would love a Blu-ray of this too although I appreciate it's difficult to please veryone and with DVD your guaranteed thgat almost everyone can enjoy it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dmway said:

however, if there will be a wider release in higher-definition formats, why can’t we order those when we renew? Why can’t the paid U2.com membership be able to obtain those, even if there were more charged in the fee? I bet very many of us would have taken advantage of that.

That was my point earlier. If we get this and at later date the same exact product is release in hi-definition to the general public, that will be a slap on the face to all of us that pay for the subscription. I hope U2 won't be that greedy.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, OB said:

That was my point earlier. If we get this and at later date the same exact product is release in hi-definition to the general public, that will be a slap on the face to all of us that pay for the subscription. I hope U2 won't be that greedy.

I would blame LiveNation and/or Universal Music first, but I agree with your comment about the greed in general.

I hope we get clarity about the street date and formats soon. It’s the not being fully informed that is really causing the angst here. As I said earlier, these things would already be known among the higher-ups in the U2 universe; it would be quite nice if they shared now.

Still hoping for a happy ending!

• Like 2

On 1/26/2020 at 2:37 AM, Manohlive said:

I understand, and can sympathize with this reasoning.  The problem is that you didn't pay $50 for a DVD. You paid to be a member of this website/fanclub. The gift is only one part of a larger sum.  I don't understand people saying I didn't pay for this gift when they purchased something with multiple components.  U2 never says what any gift will or will not be until it is officially announced. This is what they've chosen to do this year.  It is what it is.  I can undertand being disappointed.  I can understand someone consdering if they want to keep subscribing.  I don't understand the constant barrage of attacks against the band, and this website, when things aren't as one would wish. It's the chance we take when we subscribe. One can join this website for free, still be a part of the live threads and so much more. That costs nothng yet it's expensive, and a lot of work, to maintain a website. . .

This gift is one day old and people are already deciding that they are going to have to buy the BluRay.  No you don't.  You'll have the DVD.  You want the BluRay.  There's a huge difference. It's also presuming this will be commercially released on BluRay.  From what I read, it's exclusive. There's been no indication of it being anything else. 

It's EI, from Europe, and it's the Berlin show.  I've read, numerous times, from many different sources, that this is one of the best U2 shows ever.  I don't understand why people can't enjoy it for what it is.  Thi is just how I see it..  We all possess the right to express our vews in these forums and threads..  It's part of our subscription. Your opinion has just as much validity as mine.  We wouldn't be a community if it did not. 

I'm definitely not attacking the band here. But honestly, at least in my case, the gift is what I pay $50 for. The last three tours haven't come near me, and I really can't afford to travel to see them, so unfortunately perks like pre-sale access aren't really a factor to me. Besides, does anyone expect the band to tour (in the States, at least) again this year? I subscribed for the first time last year because that 2 CD set was irresistible. And I couldn't be happier with it. But apart from the recent Joshua Tree anniversary run, every major U2 tour since ZooTV has been given a commercial video release. I own and love them all, and was really looking forward to buying this one. Why does it have to be a fan club exclusive? 

I like the graphic of Bono, from behind, wth the band projected on the back of his coat.  I like it a lot. 

• Like 2

Where's the problem in putting both formats in the book? For 40 € it should be possible!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RSkanseTX said:

I'm definitely not attacking the band here. But honestly, at least in my case, the gift is what I pay $50 for. The last three tours haven't come near me, and I really can't afford to travel to see them, so unfortunately perks like pre-sale access aren't really a factor to me. Besides, does anyone expect the band to tour (in the States, at least) again this year? I subscribed for the first time last year because that 2 CD set was irresistible. And I couldn't be happier with it. But apart from the recent Joshua Tree anniversary run, every major U2 tour since ZooTV has been given a commercial video release. I own and love them all, and was really looking forward to buying this one. Why does it have to be a fan club exclusive? 

I doubt this is a fan club exclusive. U2 makes way more money selling to the general public. So I expect a release later like it has always been. What is not clear here is if this subs gift will be the same as the future gp release. I would think so, that's why I hope the subs gift will have the same hi-def format so we don't have to pay for it twice. DVD in 2020 is just unacceptable. 

Edited by OB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I like the graphic of Bono, from behind, wth the band projected on the back of his coat.  I like it a lot. 

Me too!! *_*
I am curious about the mail mentioned in the news... I've tried to contact the Help because I don't receive the newsletters from the site but I have no answers at the moment. I hope to find some info here...

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 9:29 PM, lombard said:

When I say that it is the same concert I mean that it is the same stage. 
Why not give as a gift something from The Joshua Tree Tour?
It was a fascinating show. 
We already have SOI in Paris, Innocence And Experience Live and now Experience And Innocence live
in Berlin, but nothing about the Joshua Tree Tour.

Of course I want the subscription gift, but I expected something different

They kind have already given a gift with the Joshua Tree. That gift was the 2018 Joshua Tree Singles Vinyl/ Digital Download. It had the 2017 live versions and the remastered studio versions of the singles of the JT album.

2 hours ago, BVB65 said:

They kind have already given a gift with the Joshua Tree. That gift was the 2018 Joshua Tree Singles Vinyl/ Digital Download. It had the 2017 live versions and the remastered studio versions of the singles of the JT album.

During TJT 2017 U2 Sung songs they haven’t done in years or never: Exit, Red Hill Minning Town, Running to Stand Still, Trip Through Your Wires.

I think those are the kind of songs we all want to have on cd/vinyl/digital Download and not With or Without You, The Streets and Still Haven’t Found which we all have in many different versions from each and every Tour. 

By the way, 2018 TJT vinyl subscriber gift was lousy, 4 out of the 8 songs we all already have. 

Edited by bacadorina
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, seresere said:

Me too!! *_*
I am curious about the mail mentioned in the news... I've tried to contact the Help because I don't receive the newsletters from the site but I have no answers at the moment. I hope to find some info here...

There are times I don't get them.  There are times they come after the fact.  I sign in for news and am always up to date if I check for any change.  You'll see it in this thread or somewhere else. 

22 minutes ago, bacadorina said:

I think those are the kind of songs we all want to have on cd/vinyl/digital Download and not With or Without You,

They did do TJT vinyls a couple years ago.  A lot of people were very upset with that gift becasue they didn't have turntables or wanted something else. 

Edited by Manohlive

17 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

They did do TJT vinyls a couple years ago.  A lot of people were very upset with that gift becasue they didn't have turntables or wanted something else. 

My point was that we already have I+E Tour on DVD/Blue Ray, E+I Tour on 2 CD as 2019 subscribers gift (actually I don’t have it as U2.com hasn’t send it to me) and most likely will have an official release of E+I Berlin Show Both on DVD and Blue Ray later this year (mark my words).

In that case, a TJT 2017-2019 Tour release in format of our choice (cd, vinyl or Download) would have been a better gift. The 4 vinyls with only 4 live songs from TJT 2017 Tour were a lousy gift, considering that we all have heard before countless times WOWY, Streets and Still Haven’t Found.