Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pumajet0

Top 5 rock music artists

basher1 wrote:
ceallach67 wrote:
basher1 wrote:
sad eyes wrote:
You're joking right? Foo Fighters? The Proclaimers? In a list that DOESN'T include U2?

Too each his own I guess.

tongue.gif

what do these top 5's actually prove? a bit of fun? to get to know others tastes? hmmmm. bring back top 3's that what i say!!!!

Not in any order, except for U2 being #1:

U2

The Police

REM

Simple Minds

INXS

U2/Bon Jovi

Springsteen

AC/DC

Zeppelin

Pearl Jam

I like U2 and Bon Jovi the same - and just coz I'm on a U2 site isn't why I chose U2. This list would be the same whether I was on this site or anotherfan site I belong to....

i thought i posted in this... oh well.

haha

u2

new order

simple minds

depeche mode

the pretenders

the cure

the kinks

tears for fears

madonna

inxs

pet shop boys

genesis

blue nile

marcy playground

'the killers

radiohead

etc etc

oh wait.. a top 5...

u2

new order

simple minds

depeche mode

the pretenders, i guess.

4th and 5th and on can bounce around... either way, lol.

basher1 wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

basher1 wrote:

sad eyes wrote:

You're joking right? Foo Fighters? The Proclaimers? In a list that DOESN'T include U2?

1) HANDS DOWN, U2

2) The Cure

3) The Smiths

4) New Order

5) Big Audio Dynamite

no not kidding the proclaimers are a great scottish act........and the foo fighters are a great live band.......

yeah i may be a subscriber to u2.com and have many u2 related cd's lp's etc etc but u2 are not the best band in the world in my opinion....they do some good stuff yeah but there is better out there.

I'm ever amazed at how folks think it's okay to call someone out because they don't express the opinon they think they should.
yeah just because i don't include u2 in my top 5 i'm suddenly the devil incarnate i mean come on for fuck sake theres much better out there i just don't happen to be one of those people that thinks when bono farts it should sell a million fucking copies. i find the whole idea of holding this band up as some kind of messiac fucking relic that will save the universe with one song absolutly abhorrantly disgustingly awful and wish that people would just realise that they are just 4 fucking normal human beings who happen to make a decent song once in a fucking while and do not deserve to be placed on a higher than high pedastel.

Though U2 is my favorite band and they are very talented, I don't think they are the best of all time either. There are a few bands more talented than U2like,

1.The Stones

2.The Beatles

3.The Who

4.Zeppelin

5.Hendrix Experience.

However I do believe that U2 comes in after these bands. They are full of talent and are easily one of the greatest rock bands of all time.

Oh and Mary... love the BCR mention. You should be singing... S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT!
tongue.gif

thumbsup.gifyess Kelly!........one of thier best!............tongue.gif

badgirl56 wrote:

Oh and Mary... love the BCR mention. You should be singing... S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT! roll.gif

One for the memories:

S_A050217-06_Bay%20City%20Rollers_Wouldn%27t%20You%20Like%20It.jpg

badgirl56 wrote:

Oh and Mary... love the BCR mention. You should be singing... S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT! roll.gif

One for the memories:

ceallach67 wrote:

badgirl56 wrote:

Oh and Mary... love the BCR mention. You should be singing... S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT!

*right click......print......hang on dartboard*.......lol.....

wow Kell showing yer age here mate.......lol

basher1 wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

badgirl56 wrote:

I sure am. I was 9 years old at the time. (stop doing the math everyone! tongue.gif)

I tell ya... I wish I could find all those 45's I had back then.

basher1 wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

badgirl56 wrote:

I sure am. I was 9 years old at the time. (stop doing the math everyone! tongue.gif)

tongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.gifMarydrools over Eric Falkener...............tongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.giftongue02.gifah..the memories!.............thumbsup.gif

ceallach67 wrote:

basher1 wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

badgirl56 wrote:

I sure am. I was 9 years old at the time. (stop doing the math everyone!
)

ok.....24 + 9+ 18 -4 x 2.......nope i can't do that one......lol.....xxxxx

basher1 wrote:

The value of Pi is 3.14159, if that helps.

*smacks you*

*with love*

tongue.gif

basher1 wrote:

The value of Pi is 3.14159, if that helps.

*smacks you*

*with love*

tongue.gif

basher1 wrote:
ceallach67 wrote:
basher1 wrote:
sad eyes wrote:

wink.gif

Sad Eyes... seriously, have you never heard of personal preference? I agree that U2 is certainly one of the best, but there are acts that have come before themthat even they would not put themselves ahead of.

Regardless, best is not really what we are talking about, what we are talking about is favorite. Just to ask... in your moment of judgment did you ever stop toconsider that what you consider one hit wonders, were not one hit wonders in their own country? You do realize that people who post here are from othercountries, don't you? And also, mass appeal does not equal good music. Just because something has popular appeal doesn't necessarily mean thatmusically it is the best.

I know many who would say that anyone who likes U2 has atrocious taste in music, especially with what they've been putting out lately. It's all amatter of opinion. Yours is not the only one that exists or has value. Your opinion is only right and has value to you and you alone.

Now... is U2 the biggest act in the world as we speak? Yeah, I'd say so. However, as I said, the biggest doesn't always mean the best. I know manyartists that are considered unknown by mass appeal and Top 40 standards where the musicianship makes U2 look like amatuers. But we aren't talking in termsof that here, we are talking about what appeals to you personally... your favorites. That is what the original poster asked.

Sad Eyes... seriously, have you never heard of personal preference? I agree that U2 is certainly one of the best, but there are acts that have come before themthat even they would not put themselves ahead of.

Regardless, best is not really what we are talking about, what we are talking about is favorite. Just to ask... in your moment of judgment did you ever stop toconsider that what you consider one hit wonders, were not one hit wonders in their own country? You do realize that people who post here are from othercountries, don't you? And also, mass appeal does not equal good music. Just because something has popular appeal doesn't necessarily mean thatmusically it is the best.

I know many who would say that anyone who likes U2 has atrocious taste in music, especially with what they've been putting out lately. It's all amatter of opinion. Yours is not the only one that exists or has value. Your opinion is only right and has value to you and you alone.

Now... is U2 the biggest act in the world as we speak? Yeah, I'd say so. However, as I said, the biggest doesn't always mean the best. I know manyartists that are considered unknown by mass appeal and Top 40 standards where the musicianship makes U2 look like amatuers. But we aren't talking in termsof that here, we are talking about what appeals to you personally... your favorites. That is what the original poster asked.

I took this thread as what were my FAVE top 5...which is how I voted. My opinion of what bands I think ARE actually the top 5 of all time are going to varyfrom other folks' opinions.

I think judging others for their opinion is just close minded and wrong. We all had a chance to list our top five so why not allow others without the ridicule?

A year ago mine probably would have been a different list - and who knows it could change in a month from now. My musical tastes are so diverse and changeoften depending on what playist I'm thrashing on my ipod.

sad eyes wrote:
basher1 wrote:
ceallach67 wrote:
basher1 wrote:
sad eyes wrote:

pimp.gif

P.S. Who the heck are the Bay City Rollers???

ceallach67 wrote:

Sad Eyes... seriously, have you never heard of personal preference? I agree that U2 is certainly one of the best, but there are acts that have come before them that even they would not put themselves ahead of.

That's only because they are humble! Deep down inside I think they know that they are at the top of the heap; at least tied with other greats - I thinkthey'd probably get a little chuckle if they read some of the bands that some of you thought were better - then they'd let it roll off like aduck's back!

ceallach67 wrote:

Regardless, best is not really what we are talking about, what we are talking about is favorite. Just to ask... in your moment of judgment did you ever stop to consider that what you consider one hit wonders, were not one hit wonders in their own country? You do realize that people who post here are from other countries, don't you? And also, mass appeal does not equal good music. Just because something has popular appeal doesn't necessarily mean that musically it is the best.

Alright - I semi-apologize. I'm still laughing at anyone that puts some of the bands that they choose to put in the top 5 whilst not mentioning thegreatest rock and roll band of all time!

But please, U2 is OFF THE CHARTS good - they deserve every bit of success they have had - popular appeal / musically / THE BEST!

I'd go so far as saying there are still MILLIONS that don't know what they are missing - my son being one of them who likes "Death Cab ForCutie" and totally doesn't "hear" / "get" U2.

Lead a horse to water yada yada yada!

ceallach67 wrote:

I know many who would say that anyone who likes U2 has atrocious taste in music, especially with what they've been putting out lately. It's all a matter of opinion.

See I take offense to that, because their new music is EVERY BIT as good as their old music.

ceallach67 wrote:

Now... is U2 the biggest act in the world as we speak? Yeah, I'd say so. However, as I said, the biggest doesn't always mean the best. I know many artists that are considered unknown by mass appeal and Top 40 standards where the musicianship makes U2 look like amatuers. But we aren't talking in terms of that here, we are talking about what appeals to you personally... your favorites. That is what the original poster asked.

Really?

Who for example?

I think U2 are THE BIGGEST BECAUSE they are THE BEST -

THUS they have earned biggest and best.

tongue.gif

But, you're right - it's a "Whose YOUR favorite?" thread, not a "Who do you think is the best?" thread.

I just think it takes nerve to not mention U2 in your top 5 at THEIR fan forum!

And it's also worth a real laugh at seeing who some people think are better..."to them"!

Erin Go Bragh less wrote:

I took this thread as what were my FAVE top 5...which is how I voted. My opinion of what bands I think ARE actually the top 5 of all time are going to vary from other folks' opinions.

I think judging others for their opinion is just close minded and wrong. We all had a chance to list our top five so why not allow others without the ridicule?

Wasn't my intention to ridicule anyone - just felt the need to come to the defense of the greatest band of all time!

wink.gif

laugh.gif

tongue.gif