Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pumajet0

Top 5 rock music artists

Recommended Posts

U2

Coldplay

Pink Floyd

Oasis

Hladno pivo (Cold beer) :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have some choice tastes mate! I remember Mum being amused/horrified that I had footprints on my back!

 

And as for the walkman...... mmm, I still don't have an Ipod!

 

I think I was quite lucky growing up in Sydney in the 90s as quite a few of that style of bands were actually huge here. I saw Primus probably 6/7 times backin the day - in pretty small 1000 seaters and a few massive festivals. I remember one show where all the lights went out while the crowd was furiously chanting"PRIMUS SUCKS! PRIMUS SUCKS" and they came out in a pitch balck room and kicked staight into Wynona! In fact it was the only time I ever heard themplay that. Awesome.

 

And would you believe I saw Faith No More the night before my HSC (our SATs) when I was supposedly "studying" at a friends house!! They were actuallyhuge in Australia, and I must have seen Mr Patton 20 times in various guises over the years - FNM, Mr Bungle, Tomahawk, Solo, Peeping Tom and the orchestrateddeath matal madness that is the Fantomas! - in fact I saw them a few months ago and they played a set of horror movie themetunes- The Omen, Rosemary'sBaby, Cape Fear etc - all done in Australian cricket uniforms, complete with zinc on their noses!

 

I still listen to Les all the time, but unfortunately he hasn't made the trip down here since 1998! Boooooo

But the last few live Primus DVDs have kept me going. I quite like all his other projects too.

 

I'm definately a Sailing The Seas Of Cheese man.

What I wanna know is how the hell Bill and Ted beat Primus with a Kiss cover in the San Dimas Battle OfThe Bands?????

 

Anyway, lovely chatting with you, I must go to bed (it's 4am) see you soon :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL! Only a real Primus fan knows the origins of that. Right back at ya with the great taste in music!

I think you're right about Wynona... they didn't play that when I saw them. That had to kick!

Les is still doing some shows near me. I might try and catch him at the end of this month at a local rock venue. Can never have enough Les.

LOL... Faith No More vs studying.... ah I would've made the same choice. Don't think it would have hurt my scores any to tell you the truth, Iwould still suck at math. You know what I always dug about Faith No More? They always had this epic kind of sound (HA... pardon the pun). They had this hugesound and one that had so many different sounds to it, if that makes sense. Definitely a band that didn't see the success they should have. I would haveloved to hear them do the horror music themes live, that had to be riot. And the uniforms??? roll.gif

Dude... a Bill and Ted reference! Too funny. I totally forgot about that. Yes Primus was the loser.. but to a crappy Kiss song? I mean, geez... ifthey're gonna lose it should have at least been something from the 70s. God Gave Rock n Roll To You. Guess you got give props for the sentiment. Lovethe Reaper on bass... but he's no Les Claypool.

Great chatting with you too... have a good sleep.

Be excellent. tongue.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL! Only a real Primus fan knows the origins of that. Right back at ya with the great taste in music!

I think you're right about Wynona... they didn't play that when I saw them. That had to kick!

Les is still doing some shows near me. I might try and catch him at the end of this month at a local rock venue. Can never have enough Les.

LOL... Faith No More vs studying.... ah I would've made the same choice. Don't think it would have hurt my scores any to tell you the truth, Iwould still suck at math. You know what I always dug about Faith No More? They always had this epic kind of sound (HA... pardon the pun). They had this hugesound and one that had so many different sounds to it, if that makes sense. Definitely a band that didn't see the success they should have. I would haveloved to hear them do the horror music themes live, that had to be riot. And the uniforms??? roll.gif

Dude... a Bill and Ted reference! Too funny. I totally forgot about that. Yes Primus was the loser.. but to a crappy Kiss song? I mean, geez... ifthey're gonna lose it should have at least been something from the 70s. God Gave Rock n Roll To You. Guess you got give props for the sentiment. Lovethe Reaper on bass... but he's no Les Claypool.

Great chatting with you too... have a good sleep.

Be excellent. tongue.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ceallach67 wrote:

 

The beauty of music is what it means to people. Music is meant to drive you, uplift you, inspire you, touch you emotionally... whatever. It's a constant companion of mine. Because music is so powerful, it's only understandable that people defend what moves them. So I get that. But at the same time, what moves me may not be what moves another because it's a personal connection, so I can't expect anyone else to get what I'm getting from a band. That's all I'm saying.

 

My apologies to Sad Eyes, if I came across too bitchy. Not my intention at all.

I didn't think it sounded bitchy at all. You're right about it being a very personal connection...for a long time I wondered why I felt the need toargue with 'haters', you know, why I just couldn't ignore them. And you said just what I have only recently figured out. Also, I think it'sbecause they're not just my 'favorite band'. I think a lot of people might think of a band as just music, but to me they're not just theanonymous faces behind the sound, they're four people. So when I come across people saying really nasty, cruel things, I feel the need to argue withthem...even though that's their 'opinion'. Here the opinions are valuable...but you know, when someone says the world would be better off ifmedical experiments were done on Bono, I just want to hit them mad.gif

Haha, random digression. I was just using that to agree with what you said about music moving people in a personal way and them wanting to defend it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm not going to have a lengthy debate / argument with people a generation ahead of me or a generation behind me about music, or with people at a U2website that won't put them in their top 5 but will put bands in their top 5 that don't have 1% of the success U2 have had.

 

I know there are people that like U2 but they like Michael Jackson, the Jonas Brothers, Twisted Sister, N-Sync, Motorhead, Slayer, Dolly Parton and BarbaraStreisand better -

 

Call it ignorance or arrogance or whatever - it may be all about opinion and taste, but...

 

I'm just being honest when I say -

 

I'm standing by my "WTF?"

 

We'll have to agree to disagree.

 

And I'll be happy in my certainty knowing that my mixtape would kick your mixtapes ass!

 

I just find it funny that some people enjoy TV dinners over gourmet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sad eyes wrote:

Well I'm not going to have a lengthy debate argument with people a generation ahead of me or a generation behind me about music, or with people at a U2 website that won't put them in their top 5 but will put bands in their top 5 that don't have 1% of the success U2 have had.

 

I know there are people that like U2 but they like Michael Jackson, the Jonas Brothers, N-Sync, Motorhead, Slayer, Dolly Parton and Barbara Streisand better -

 

Call it ignorance or arrogance or whatever - it may be all about opinion and taste, but...

 

I'm just being honest when I say -

 

I stand TALL by my "WTF?"

 

We'll have to agree to disagree.

 

And I'll be happy in my certainty that my mixtape would kick your mixtapes ass!

Oh see ma sides...........

 

i don't think i have ever come across such an arrogant fucker such as yourself i mean what the fuck are you on mate im totally loving your wankish attitudeand i got to say in the fuckwit stakes you are numero uno and i love you to death for it.............

 

i will say it for the last time for the hard of thinking.......

 

u2 are a decent band but they are not the greatest they never will be because there is no such thing once a band are put in that bracket then they fallapart.........

 

and just for info you could always stick a mixed tape up yer arse and see if it plays hallelujah by leonard cohen..........

 

be good now and lovin your work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh and forgot to say goodnight all it's time for my beddy byes i'll dream for a zoo full of love happiness and a lack of nastiness and negativity andfree speech and well everything really..................

 

 

GOODNIGHT ALL I'M HERE ALL WEEK,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thumbsup.gifwell I must say Thank You to everyone in this thread fer giving me a goodlaugh today!roll.gif

 

and btw ........

tongue.gifthe biggest influence oan U2!roll.gifroll.giftongue.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

basher1 wrote:

i will say it for the last time for the hard of thinking.......

 

u2 are a decent band but they are not the greatest they never will be because there is no such thing once a band are put in that bracket then they fall apart

Well ain't that some really sound logic - they can't be the greatest because if they were they'd fall apart.

 

I agree with one thing though - there is probably no way to prove this.

 

Although I did offer up a match song for song with U2 and whoever you thought was better and we can just let everyone here decide which songs win the matchups.

 

Should I list the 20 U2 songs I'd like to put up with the best songs you can come up with from any one band? Should be fun. Might even settle this littledebate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sad eyes wrote:

Well I'm not going to have a lengthy debate / argument with people a generation ahead of me or a generation behind me about music, or with people at a U2 website that won't put them in their top 5 but will put bands in their top 5 that don't have 1% of the success U2 have had.

 

I know there are people that like U2 but they like Michael Jackson, the Jonas Brothers, Twisted Sister, N-Sync, Motorhead, Slayer, Dolly Parton and Barbara Streisand better -

 

Call it ignorance or arrogance or whatever - it may be all about opinion and taste, but...

 

I'm just being honest when I say -

 

I'm standing by my "WTF?"

 

We'll have to agree to disagree.

 

And I'll be happy in my certainty knowing that my mixtape would kick your mixtapes ass!

 

I just find it funny that some people enjoy TV dinners over gourmet!

 

I'm not going to debate with you about personal preference. But man... if you want to talk music in the sense of what is and what is not musically rightor good... hey... bring it on, I love discussing music like that. As discussed before success doesn't equal better music. Going on your success pointthan I guess you must think that Hannah Montana is better than U2 since her concert movie knocked U23D out of the IMAX theaters and made more money. I guessthat also means that U2 can only be as good as 16th right now since the last I checked that's the place they hold for album sales. So there are 15 artistsout there better than U2 right now, right?

 

I don't make mix tapes since I no longer deejay but either way it would be a lost cause. It'll go just as this conversation has... everyone but youshowing a willing attempt to seriously consider something you haven't heard or considered before. And about comparing to U2? What's the point? Weall know U2's music. We're fans too... remember? We just aren't short sighted into thinking that U2 is the only thing out there worth listeningto.

 

But hey... let's talk chords, chord progressions, arpeggios, song writing, melodies, harmonies and musicianship technical abilities. Because that'sthe only concrete conversation we can have. Anything else is personal listening appeal. A point you still fail to grasp in understanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sad eyes wrote:

Well I'm not going to have a lengthy debate / argument with people a generation ahead of me or a generation behind me about music, or with people at a U2 website that won't put them in their top 5 but will put bands in their top 5 that don't have 1% of the success U2 have had.

 

I know there are people that like U2 but they like Michael Jackson, the Jonas Brothers, Twisted Sister, N-Sync, Motorhead, Slayer, Dolly Parton and Barbara Streisand better -

 

Call it ignorance or arrogance or whatever - it may be all about opinion and taste, but...

 

I'm just being honest when I say -

 

I'm standing by my "WTF?"

 

We'll have to agree to disagree.

 

And I'll be happy in my certainty knowing that my mixtape would kick your mixtapes ass!

 

I just find it funny that some people enjoy TV dinners over gourmet!

 

I'm not going to debate with you about personal preference. But man... if you want to talk music in the sense of what is and what is not musically rightor good... hey... bring it on, I love discussing music like that. As discussed before success doesn't equal better music. Going on your success pointthan I guess you must think that Hannah Montana is better than U2 since her concert movie knocked U23D out of the IMAX theaters and made more money. I guessthat also means that U2 can only be as good as 16th right now since the last I checked that's the place they hold for album sales. So there are 15 artistsout there better than U2 right now, right?

 

I don't make mix tapes since I no longer deejay but either way it would be a lost cause. It'll go just as this conversation has... everyone but youshowing a willing attempt to seriously consider something you haven't heard or considered before. And about comparing to U2? What's the point? Weall know U2's music. We're fans too... remember? We just aren't short sighted into thinking that U2 is the only thing out there worth listeningto.

 

But hey... let's talk chords, chord progressions, arpeggios, song writing, melodies, harmonies and musicianship technical abilities. Because that'sthe only concrete conversation we can have. Anything else is personal listening appeal. A point you still fail to grasp in understanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ceallach67 wrote:

We just aren't short sighted into thinking that U2 is the only thing out there worth listening to.

 

Never said they were the ONLY band worth listening to.

 

But every generation has had a GREAT rock and roll band so far - who is going to be the band to step up and carry the torch when U2 decides to retire - becauseI haven't heard anyone that comes close.

 

 

ceallach67 wrote:

But hey... let's talk chords, chord progressions, arpeggios, song writing, melodies, harmonies and musicianship technical abilities. Because that's the only concrete conversation we can have. Anything else is personal listening appeal. A point you still fail to grasp in understanding.

 

Now you're sounding like my brother who is this musical nerd - dissecting songs and bands based on their TECHNICAL musical ability etc. while COMPLETELYoverlooking the fact that U2 are greater than the sum of their parts - they MAY NOT be technical musical wizards or whatever but they consistently write great,meaningful songs and music.

 

And I'll take that ANY DAY over a band like Rush who my brother swears is more talented than U2 - and they MAY be - I wouldn't know or care!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sad eyes wrote:

Well I'm not going to have a lengthy debate / argument with people a generation ahead of me or a generation behind me about music, or with people at a U2 website that won't put them in their top 5 but will put bands in their top 5 that don't have 1% of the success U2 have had.

 

I know there are people that like U2 but they like Michael Jackson, the Jonas Brothers, Twisted Sister, N-Sync, Motorhead, Slayer, Dolly Parton and Barbara Streisand better -

 

Call it ignorance or arrogance or whatever - it may be all about opinion and taste, but...

 

I'm just being honest when I say -

 

I'm standing by my "WTF?"

 

We'll have to agree to disagree.

 

And I'll be happy in my certainty knowing that my mixtape would kick your mixtapes ass!

 

I just find it funny that some people enjoy TV dinners over gourmet!

 

I'm not going to debate with you about personal preference. Because you can't. But man... if you want to talk music in the sense of what is and whatis not musically right or good... hey... bring it on, I love discussing music like that. As discussed before success doesn't equal better music.

 

I don't make mix tapes since I no longer deejay but either way it would be a lost cause. It'll go just as this conversation has... everyone but youshowing a willing attempt to seriously consider something you haven't heard or considered before. And about comparing to U2? What's the point? Weall know U2's music. We're fans too... remember? We just aren't short sighted into thinking that U2 is the only thing out there worth listeningto.

 

But hey... let's talk chords, chord progressions, arpeggios, song writing, melodies, harmonies and musicianship technical abilities. Because that'sthe only concrete conversation we can have. Anything else is personal listening appeal. A point you still fail to grasp in understanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sad eyes wrote:

Well I'm not going to have a lengthy debate / argument with people a generation ahead of me or a generation behind me about music, or with people at a U2 website that won't put them in their top 5 but will put bands in their top 5 that don't have 1% of the success U2 have had.

 

I know there are people that like U2 but they like Michael Jackson, the Jonas Brothers, Twisted Sister, N-Sync, Motorhead, Slayer, Dolly Parton and Barbara Streisand better -

 

Call it ignorance or arrogance or whatever - it may be all about opinion and taste, but...

 

I'm just being honest when I say -

 

I'm standing by my "WTF?"

 

We'll have to agree to disagree.

 

And I'll be happy in my certainty knowing that my mixtape would kick your mixtapes ass!

 

I just find it funny that some people enjoy TV dinners over gourmet!

 

I'm not going to debate with you about personal preference. Because you can't. But man... if you want to talk music in the sense of what is and whatis not musically right or good... hey... bring it on, I love discussing music like that. As discussed before success doesn't equal better music.

 

I don't make mix tapes since I no longer deejay but either way it would be a lost cause. It'll go just as this conversation has... everyone but youshowing a willing attempt to seriously consider something you haven't heard or considered before. And about comparing to U2? What's the point? Weall know U2's music. We're fans too... remember? We just aren't short sighted into thinking that U2 is the only thing out there worth listeningto.

 

But hey... let's talk chords, chord progressions, arpeggios, song writing, melodies, harmonies and musicianship technical abilities. Because that'sthe only concrete conversation we can have. Anything else is personal listening appeal. A point you still fail to grasp in understanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sad eyes wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

We just aren't short sighted into thinking that U2 is the only thing out there worth listening to.

 

Never said they were the ONLY band worth listening to.

 

No, you just said that people should list the bands they do find worth listening to in the order that you deem right or see fit.

But every generation has had a GREAT rock and roll band so far - who is going to be the band to step up and carry the torch when U2 decides to retire - because I haven't heard anyone that comes close.

 

On this we agree. There will never be another U2, in fact, the days of the big machine bands are done.

 

ceallach67 wrote:

But hey... let's talk chords, chord progressions, arpeggios, song writing, melodies, harmonies and musicianship technical abilities. Because that's the only concrete conversation we can have. Anything else is personal listening appeal. A point you still fail to grasp in understanding.

 

Now you're sounding like my brother who is this musical nerd - dissecting songs and bands based on their TECHNICAL musical ability etc. while COMPLETELY overlooking the fact that U2 are greater than the sum of their parts - they MAY NOT be technical musical wizards or whatever but they consistently write great, meaningful songs and music.

 

And I'll take that ANY DAY over a band like Rush who my brother swears is more talented than U2 - and they MAY be - I wouldn't know or care!

 

 

I totally agree with you here too. I never implied that technical makes a good song. In fact I said just the opposite in a previous post if you read it. That point I was making is that you can't argue over or debate personal preferences in music. Everyone has something that means something to them. I was using the talk about music in the technical sense to say that is the only concrete thing about music you could debate is the actual structure of music.

 

And there... you prefer Rush over U2. Your personal preference. I'll bet it bothers you that your brother tries to convince you that Rush is better than U2, huh? Kind of like what you've been doing to others here?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sad eyes wrote:

ceallach67 wrote:

We just aren't short sighted into thinking that U2 is the only thing out there worth listening to.

 

Never said they were the ONLY band worth listening to.

 

No, you just said that people should list the bands they do find worth listening to in the order that you deem right or see fit.

But every generation has had a GREAT rock and roll band so far - who is going to be the band to step up and carry the torch when U2 decides to retire - because I haven't heard anyone that comes close.

 

On this we agree. There will never be another U2, in fact, the days of the big machine bands are done.

 

ceallach67 wrote:

But hey... let's talk chords, chord progressions, arpeggios, song writing, melodies, harmonies and musicianship technical abilities. Because that's the only concrete conversation we can have. Anything else is personal listening appeal. A point you still fail to grasp in understanding.

 

Now you're sounding like my brother who is this musical nerd - dissecting songs and bands based on their TECHNICAL musical ability etc. while COMPLETELY overlooking the fact that U2 are greater than the sum of their parts - they MAY NOT be technical musical wizards or whatever but they consistently write great, meaningful songs and music.

 

And I'll take that ANY DAY over a band like Rush who my brother swears is more talented than U2 - and they MAY be - I wouldn't know or care!

 

 

I totally agree with you here too. I never implied that technical makes a good song. In fact I said just the opposite in a previous post if you read it. That point I was making is that you can't argue over or debate personal preferences in music. Everyone has something that means something to them. I was using the talk about music in the technical sense to say that is the only concrete thing about music you could debate is the actual structure of music.

 

And there... you prefer Rush over U2. Your personal preference. I'll bet it bothers you that your brother tries to convince you that Rush is better than U2, huh? Kind of like what you've been doing to others here?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#1 The SPHERE\U2's Bono, the Prince. He is above and beyond all, the GREATEST ARTIST in the Universe. Power,Pitch & Voice. My #1 Prince in the world.U2, the Greatest Band in the Universe. Bono the Legend.

 

#2 The Rolling Stones/Mick Jagger, ""A man of Wealth and Experience" Please to meet you, won't you guess my name. Yes, I like that song. ALegendary Rock Band

 

#3 Jimmy Hendrix / Magic Carpet Ride / Extremely good song I just love this one.

 

#4 The Ramones/ I like this band very much.

 

#5 Steven Tyler "walk this way", I can't remember the name of the band. Not that they are not remembered, its me, memory loss. Steven is agreat, great artist. I especially like the song in the movie "Armaghedon." I wish him health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But, we are blessed with U2, this generation is blessed. They give out so much, not just the music. I often think of future generations, who can possiblyreplace U2 in the future. Another Bono would have to be born. You see, the energy one carries is very important, that can be the factor that decides if therewill be someone in the likes of "Bono" the beloved Bono, there is only one right now, and that is hard to not be able to have him here. I am just astranger. But, I tell you, God is good, God is great and there is a reason why such a band called U2 exist with such Magnificent power. I for one, will alwayscherish Bono, the most beloved Bono, though a stranger because I have not met him yet in person, I know that he is a force to be dealt with for me. He can makeor break me. I like that God chose him to have such a influencial power over such a lonely and lost little girl. Because, though she is grown, she hungers tosee the Prince all of the time, there is a kind of emptiness inside her, she may have what she needs physically, but who can possibly replace the Prince? Noone. So, there is an emptiness that lingers inside this Realm and this emptiness can only be filled by his presence in my Realm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sad eyes wrote:

basher1 wrote:

i will say it for the last time for the hard of thinking.......

 

u2 are a decent band but they are not the greatest they never will be because there is no such thing once a band are put in that bracket then they fall apart

Well ain't that some really sound logic - they can't be the greatest because if they were they'd fall apart.

 

I agree with one thing though - there is probably no way to prove this.

 

Although I did offer up a match song for song with U2 and whoever you thought was better and we can just let everyone here decide which songs win the matchups.

 

Should I list the 20 U2 songs I'd like to put up with the best songs you can come up with from any one band? Should be fun. Might even settle this little debate!

 

 

Alright, it's time to get some wank in myself.

 

Sad Eyes, have you considered that some of the peeps you're arguing your redundant point here have probably listened to U2 for a lot longer than you andprobably seen them many more times? In fact if you were to combine the amount of shows Mary, Basher, Caellach and I have been to, and the length of timeswe've been fans your talking about 50 shows and about 80 years!

 

Ahhhh now that I've got the self indulgence out of the way......

Ahh feck it, here's some more.....

 

I would also be as bold to say that everyone elses ability to appreciate many other styles of music, and not hold U2 up on this untouchable pedestal, indeedmakes us bigger fans of U2. Mary loving the Bay City Rollers, Basher loving the Proclaimers, Caellach loving Primus and me loving Faith No More, increases ourability to appreciate U2 for what they are - an amazing rock band.

 

Childish of me? Perhaps

True? Most certainly.

 

And how would matching up songs prove anything? Do you really not understand subjectivity? Really? It's a pretty simple concept. Your not a commie are you?Are you?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think Rosa has stated the case well enough for us all today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mick james wrote:

Sad Eyes, have you considered that some of the peeps you're arguing your redundant point here have probably listened to U2 for a lot longer than you and probably seen them many more times? In fact if you were to combine the amount of shows Mary, Basher, Caellach and I have been to, and the length of times we've been fans your talking about 50 shows and about 80 years!

 

Well considering this:

 

 

mick james wrote:

I might have to meet you for a beer or 5 when I come to NYC from Australia for the Sept shows! Hang on you have to be 45 to drink in America right??
image
Maybe you can point me out to a good NYC bagel!

 

And the fact that your very own profile states that you were born 11 years after I was I HIGHLY doubt that.

 

I've seen them 6 times in 4 separate tours.

 

You were only 13 during the first one I went to and I HIGHLY doubt you made it to that one.

 

REGARDLESS, U2 are the GREATEST rock and roll band of all time!

 

They obviously weren't the first, but they are now the greatest!

 

Now, care to match up Faith No More songs with U2 songs of my choice until you say "Uncle!"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BOOOOOORRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mick james wrote:

sad eyes wrote:

basher1 wrote:

i will say it for the last time for the hard of thinking.......

 

u2 are a decent band but they are not the greatest they never will be because there is no such thing once a band are put in that bracket then they fall apart

Well ain't that some really sound logic - they can't be the greatest because if they were they'd fall apart.

 

I agree with one thing though - there is probably no way to prove this.

 

Although I did offer up a match song for song with U2 and whoever you thought was better and we can just let everyone here decide which songs win the matchups.

 

Should I list the 20 U2 songs I'd like to put up with the best songs you can come up with from any one band? Should be fun. Might even settle this little debate!

 

 

Alright, it's time to get some wank in myself.

 

Sad Eyes, have you considered that some of the peeps you're arguing your redundant point here have probably listened to U2 for a lot longer than you and probably seen them many more times? In fact if you were to combine the amount of shows Mary, Basher, Caellach and I have been to, and the length of times we've been fans your talking about 50 shows and about 80 years!

 

Ahhhh now that I've got the self indulgence out of the way......

Ahh feck it, here's some more.....

 

I would also be as bold to say that everyone elses ability to appreciate many other styles of music, and not hold U2 up on this untouchable pedestal, indeed makes us bigger fans of U2. Mary loving the Bay City Rollers, Basher loving the Proclaimers, Caellach loving Primus and me loving Faith No More, increases our ability to appreciate U2 for what they are - an amazing rock band.

 

Childish of me? Perhaps

True? Most certainly.

 

And how would matching up songs prove anything? Do you really not understand subjectivity? Really? It's a pretty simple concept. Your not a commie are you? Are you?

 

But likely a waste of your time and efforts.

 

Subjectivity not a strong point with this individual. I think he/she telling you that you weren't old enough to attend a concert is just out righthysterical. This person is clearly lacking any sort of reason and or a willingness to see that their opinion is just that... an opinion. The idea of personalpreference is just not something they can grasp apparently.

 

U2 is the biggest band of our generation, without a doubt. There will never be another U2, just as there will never be another Beatles, Clash, Led Zep, TheWho, The Stones... etc. The point is, just because the aforementioned were the best of their time doesn't mean it's a law that people must liketheir music or consider their music their favorite. It's a very simple point and one that I'm still baffled as to how it's not being understood.

 

To clarify my position; My all time favorite bands/artists are as I listed: The Clash, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Bob Marley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Roxy Music,Les Claypool/Primus and U2. I don't rank them in any particular order really and on any given day or time anyone of those might be my favorite for theday. I've been on Chili Peppers bender lately. Also, while I love many other artists and am always on the look out for new and up and coming bands thatbecome my newer favorites, I always come back to those 7 above. They are the bands that I've been a fan of for many years while many others came andwent, those 7 are the ones that always have stayed with me. Thus why they are my favorite artists. Most of those artists were out before U2 and are who I waslistening to before U2. Three of those artists heavily influenced U2.

 

Oh and concerts? I don't think I could possible list all the artists I've seen. At least it would take me awhile anyhow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...