Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U2stargirl

Swine Flu and the Tour

LifeFactory wrote:

All that said, I think the reaction is a bit over-the-top at the moment. The Centers for Disease Control has said as much.

Sure, they will say that but that is because they don't want people freaking out. They just raised the level to 4-one step away from a pandemic. I wouldthink this is cause for alarm.

I am not suggesting one brush this off lightly, but I also think freaking out unreasonably is a bit self-indulgent. A fairly decent job was done containingSARS, and it would have been even more effective if the Chinese government had not hidden the outbreak for as long as it did. This virus hit the radars fairlyquickly. But, it is in most corners of the world now, true.

At any rate--virtual workspaces, for those of us living in areas where this is feasible.

Unfortunately, most of the world has no access to such technologies and are also the ones most likely to be hard-hit by any outbreak of disease. Not that wehere could not also be infected, but, really...we are not the ones at greatest risk and should not sensationalize a perceived existential threat to ourselves.

And...the World Health Organization has just raised it to Level 5- Pandemic Imminent. The virus is evolving rapidly. Son of a B*tch! *wahine hides from flyingpigs*

Mexico reduced its initial claims of 150+ deaths attributed to the flu down to 7 deaths.

People seem to love the idea of pending crisis--it must make life seem more exciting ;)

Mexico Reduces Number of Confirmed Swine Flu Deaths to Seven

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601086&sid=aXVoWusaCHow&refer=latin_america

By Jose Enrique Arrioja and Crayton Harrison

April 28 (Bloomberg) -- Mexico reduced the number of confirmed deaths from swine flu to seven from 20, saying the toll could fluctuate after further testing.

Of 159 deaths suspected to be caused by swine flu, "seven were undoubtedly deaths caused by the new virus of swine flu," Mexican Health Minister JoseCordova told reporters today in Mexico City.

wahine wrote:

And...the World Health Organization has just raised it to Level 5- Pandemic Imminent. The virus is evolving rapidly. Son of a B*tch! *wahine hides from flying pigs*

flypig.gif

pal40 wrote:

wahine wrote:

And...the World Health Organization has just raised it to Level 5- Pandemic Imminent. The virus is evolving rapidly. Son of a B*tch! *wahine hides from flying pigs*

tongue.gif

We really have no idea how this flu is going to affect things/change things. I'm hopeful that they will come with a vaccine that offers some protectionsoon enough. I was starting to get all caught up in the newscasts but have to walk away. Sometimes it feels like fear mongering...

In any event hopefully it wont' be as bad as some people in the media are insinuating...

Stella mama wrote:

We really have no idea how this flu is going to affect things/change things. I'm hopeful that they will come with a vaccine that offers some protection soon enough. I was starting to get all caught up in the newscasts but have to walk away. Sometimes it feels like fear mongering...

In any event hopefully it wont' be as bad as some people in the media are insinuating...

May I offer this article? The Economist is a highly highly credible, intelligent, politically neutral andnon-sensationalist publication for news and analysis on nearly anything of real importance. Typically read by the highly-educated, business and politicalclasses, it is a good barometer against which to order one's thinking about news and events.

http://www.economist.com/world/international/displayStory.cfm?story_id=13565479&source=features_box3

Global health

An unwelcome Mexican wave

Apr 28th 2009 | NEW YORK

From Economist.com

The World Health Organisation raises its alert level in response to the spread of swine influenza

AFP

THE football stadiums and cathedrals in Mexico City were empty this weekend for the first time in living memory. But these are not ordinary times for thenearly 20m chilangos who live in this sprawling metropolis. Mexican officials shut down all schools, banned large public gatherings and otherwise discouragedhuman interaction in order to control an emerging global viral scourge that by Tuesday April 28th had claimed perhaps 152 lives. As the threat spread to otherparts of the world, officials at the World Health Organisation (WHO) and at America's Centres for Disease Control (CDC) declared public-healthemergencies.

The culprit is an unusual new virus known as A/H1N1, which is a form of swine flu that has made its way from pigs intohumans. Mexican officials began to notice in late March that an unusually high number of patients were suffering from pneumonia and other respiratoryillnesses. After preliminary investigations, it was concluded this month that the cause is not seasonal influenza but rather an entirely new hybrid straincomposed of pig, bird and human viruses.

They raised the alarm after being flooded with cases that, at least on the surface, appear to be connected with thisvirus. Over 1,500 Mexicans have been afflicted with symptoms that may be the result of this new virus. But it is not confirmed whether the root cause of mostof these cases was A/H1N1 or commonplace strains of influenza. With help from WHO experts, local laboratories are furiously testing genetic samples to verifyhow many did indeed fall victim to this new virus.

Despite Mexican efforts at containment, five American states-California, Texas, Kansas, Ohio and New York-have confirmedmild cases of A/H1N1. At least 50 people have been reported as infected in the United States. Cases have also been reported in Spain, Britain, Israel, NewZealand and Canada. Canada was badly affected by the deadly SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) outbreak a few years ago.

In response, many countries are becoming more vigilant and increasing stocks of antiviral medicines. Some are makingnoises about banning North American pork, despite assurances from the WHO that eating cooked pork does not transmit swine flu. China and Russia are moving toquarantine visitors with suspicious symptoms. Asian airports have turned on their heat-sensing equipment to detect sick incoming passengers (kit that they hadinstalled after earlier scares resulting from outbreaks of avian flu and SARS). On Monday the WHO raised its pandemic threat warning level by a notch, from 3to 4 (on a scale of 6), saying that the flu is being spread by human-to-human transmission. It did not recommend the imposition of travel restrictions,suggesting that it is too late to prevent the spread of the virus. Some governments, including those of Britain and the United States, are discouragingnon-essential trips to Mexico.

It is too early to be sure that A/H1N1 is a dangerous pandemic in the making. Until all of the Mexican cases are properlyexamined, authorities cannot know whether patients suffering from flu-like symptoms actually got this new bug or merely some older, less worrisome one. Withoutthat information, it is also impossible to determine the new disease's virulence, fatality rates and so on. Officials are likely to make suchdeterminations in coming days, but until then how worried should the globally mobile punter be?

There is both bad news and good news. Unlike typical flus, which usually hit the old and weak, the young and healthyappear to be falling victim to this new disease. Because most people do not have regular contact with pigs, much of the world's population may lackimmunity against swine flu. Those two factors suggest a pandemic, if it happens, may spread easily. There is no vaccine to prevent the spread of A/H1N1, andeven if officials were to start work on one today it would take months to produce-by which time the virus may well have mutated.

On the positive side this virus is, at least for now, responding to common antiviral treatments such as Tamiflu. The WHOhas an emergency stockpile of 5m or so antiviral drugs, which it plans to make available for the hardest-hit countries. The United States has 50m treatments inits stockpile, and officials have just authorised the domestic release of a quarter of that hoard. Other countries also have their own stocks on hand.

Also encouraging is that all of the cases confirmed outside Mexico seem to be mild ones. Most of the suspected deaths inMexico appear to be the result of patients waiting until they were very sick before going to hospital. That suggests even if this virus becomes a pandemic, itneed not be a deadly one-early intervention may well quash the bug. That points to the most important reason for cheer, even in the midst of uncertainty.

The world is much better prepared today to handle a pandemic than it was just a few years ago. Thanks to the painfullessons learned by Hong Kong, Toronto and other global centres hit by earlier outbreaks, many countries now have emergency protocols in place and are morewary. Also the WHO's members have agreed on a sensible set of protocols for pandemic preparedness, sharing of genetic samples and other ways ofco-ordinating a global response. Thus far, the new system seem to be working well-but it will take some time to know whether it is good enough to cope withA/H1N1.

surely its not just a u2 tour people will be affected.

thank god i have seating ticks so i wont touch anybody..............................

;)

MacFoley wrote:

thank god i have seating ticks so i wont touch anybody..............................

;)

I'll be packed in GA with thousands of other extremely sweaty people, so if anyone's going to catch it at a show, it could be me tongue.gif

Laugh out loud!!!! Half the world is wondering if the Great Influenza is upon us, and a small little corner is wondering if the tour will be disrupted LOL! Youguys are hard core fans aren't you?? ;):)

hahahaha the tour comes first!

of course it would! every event here is being cancelled,

what happens with the tickets and stuff is our biggest concern.

One thing is true, they never mention on TV or any other media: "Remain calm"

Besides the federal laws aproved, the police can now track our phone calls and conversations,

they can also be "undercover" (Which means more corruption and kidnaping)

And the legalization of drugs such as marihuana, cocaina, opium...

Still they only talk about one thing for the entire news hour.

But it might as well be just a coincidence that all this happened while the swine flu started.

I guess the whole thing has been turned upside down: "Watch less TV"

Pichu, I hope it gets better for you guys soon. They SHOULD be telling you to stay calm, because we all know panic doesn't do any good. I personally thinkthis will clear up and not be as bad as people would like to think, but hey, I'm just an optimist.

I was shocked when you said the gov't can track your calls, but then I remembered, I think our's can do that too...

And, I'm just being perfectly honest here...if anything were to happen with the tour, I would be so disappointed and cross the line into livid. Obviouslypeople's well being is the most important thing. But I would just be so pissed at whatever crap fate is working against us, haha.

And finally, I still don't think it will affect it at all. Every little thing is gonna be alright!

You're right I'll remain optimist stop watching TV lol

our only concern will be the tour now, as it always should be!

U2stargirl wrote:

Anyone think that the Swine Flu epidemic will affect U2's touring plans (and ours)???? Cases have shown up in several states including Canada and Australia. The number of cases are likely to grow in the next several months. Scary.

Diane

1. Are you reffering to Canada and Australia as States of America? Cuz frankly I find that HUGELY INSULTING. Whether it is ignorance or just poorgrammer. Canada and Australia are soveriegn independent countries.

We're all doomed

2. We're all doomed. Viruses are now appearing and growing in strength for two reasons.

#1. Nature and viral infection are advancing beyond the abilitys of our antibiotics and medical knowledge. Please keep in mind that real practical medicinehas only exsisted for about 100 years. I mean before that it was yogurt enimas and bloodletting people.

#2. The cutting of the Amazon and other large bodys is releasing disease that has lay dormant for thousands of years.

One day soon a virus or disease will appear that will kill BILLIONS of people and if it cannot be stopped it will kill us all. No advisorys or flightcancelations will protect us. If it's an airborne virus. Which one of them will most likely evolve into. Then unless your in a hermedically sealed chamber,your F^&*ed.

For all our mastery of science and medicine there is one thing we have been unable to control, Nature. The huge amount of human population decrease will begood for mother nature and the survivors. We are massivly overpopulated on this planet.

Yes there have been huge advancments in medcine but that is mostly for one reason.

The ongoing development of the microprocessor.

When was the last time you actually heard of doctor's curing a major disease in a lab with petrie dish's?

If humanity were completely wiped from the planet there is no one who will care. Not god,not aliens,definitalty not the dinosaurs.

Religions may differ but we all agree on one thing. We need god. The reality is we understand life and the universe about as much as an ant understandstheoretical physics.

As Dr.Carl Sagan put it "Humanity is a baby in a cradle on the doorstep of the universe". Seperate people all over the world created gods because ofthis feeling of loneliness in the universe. We needed a father figure. The only reason most gods are male is because the male sex is dominant amongst thesex's. As hard as women try this will always be the case. It's nature. We can't beat nature anymore than we can beat our false gods. Nature willwin. We will fall as the dinosaurs did who ruled the earth for nearly a half a billion years.

You may find this hard to handle. Scientists know it, governments know it, doctors know it. Few of these people want you to know it. Today, tommorow a hundredyears from now? It WILL happen. Deal with it or succumb to it. That is your only choice.

Ironic: I'm just getting over a bout with the flu--don't know if it was "swiney" or not, since I was about 3-4 days into the symptoms whenthe media began blaring about the new swine flu.

But let's keep things in perspective: the "regular" flu that hits each year (it's really usually multiple strains) can kill tens ofthousands of people in the US; statistics get thrown around, ranging from 20,000+ to just over 50,000 deaths each year. (I think some stats lump flu andpneumonia deaths together, which may account for the higher numbers.) Yet we don't see people freaking out about this.

Not saying that this strain couldn't mutate into something especially virulent; nature can be funny that way. A lot of media reports keep referencing thegreat flu epidemic of 1918, but remember, there've been a lot of medical advances made since 1918.

Oh, yeah: Folks should also pull out their dictionaries and check the medical use of words like "epidemic" and "pandemic" (and"endemic" while you're at it). "Pandemic" doesn't mean the disease is the worst of the worst; just that it's appeared indiverse locations. You can be killed by an endemic disease just as readily as a pandemic disease, if your friendly neighborhood pathogens get to you first. Unfortunately, when most people hear terms like "pandemic," they think of B-movie scenarios where people drop dead in the streets after a few coughs.

As for the U2 tour--yes, I can be shallow enough to have wondered if this might affect the tour. Actually, I was musing on how, by being late (again) withtheir latest album, U2 may have dodged two bullets this time: First, by not releasing a disc right as the world economy did a face-plant; this in turn pushedthe tour back from what we originally anticipated--e.g., Spring 2009--to a Summer/Autumn tour, which means they wouldn't be launching a tour right in themidst of a global flu-scare freakout.

Then I recalled that U2 won't even play here in the Bay Area this year, so what do we care? devil.gif

Do recall that the Rolling Stones had to reschedule some Canadian shows during the SARS outbreak (was it?) some years back. I figure that if the situation isbad enough by the time U2 hit the road, everyone involved with the tour, and local health authorities, would have to decide if it was ill-advised to hold anysort of large public gathering. In other words, they'll have to roll with the punches, just like the rest of us.

-- eaplatt

tacosontheceiling wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

;)

I'll be packed in GA with thousands of other extremely sweaty people, so if anyone's going to catch it at a show, it could be me
tongue.gif

well, im sure u2 wont mind performing infront of a load of pigs.............................................

'The government's emergency committee Cobra, which was meeting again on Thursday morning, is also considering possible restrictions to large gatheringslike concerts and sporting events.'

AbigailJ wrote:

'The government's emergency committee Cobra, which was meeting again on Thursday morning, is also considering possible restrictions to large gatherings like concerts and sporting events.'

This is a cover up. WAKE UP PEOPLE. There goes your right of public assembly.

Governments could say "if you hang out with thousands of other people you increase your chances of getting sick".

But no... They treat you like children and take away your right of public assembly. How long is it going to be before people wake up? Whether this disease isnaturally occuring or created in a lab. The governments of the world will use it as an excuse to erode your human rights. How long before thier rounding up thesick and sending them off to camps?

How long before IBM is asked to create a system to keep track of the sick? (Just like the system IBM created for Hitler to keep track of Jews.)

Tyrany is on the move and all the wheels are rolling.

I'm just quoting the news. Have not had time to think about it yet. I'm quite busy actually... see you in about a week.

We're all doomed

2. We're all doomed. Viruses are now appearing and growing in strength for two reasons.

#1. Nature and viral infection are advancing beyond the abilitys of our antibiotics and medical knowledge. Please keep in mind that real practical medicine has only exsisted for about 100 years. I mean before that it was yogurt enimas and bloodletting people.

#2. The cutting of the Amazon and other large bodys is releasing disease that has lay dormant for thousands of years.

One day soon a virus or disease will appear that will kill BILLIONS of people and if it cannot be stopped it will kill us all. No advisorys or flight cancelations will protect us. If it's an airborne virus. Which one of them will most likely evolve into. Then unless your in a hermedically sealed chamber ,your F^&*ed.

For all our mastery of science and medicine there is one thing we have been unable to control, Nature. The huge amount of human population decrease will be good for mother nature and the survivors. We are massivly overpopulated on this planet.

Yes there have been huge advancments in medcine but that is mostly for one reason.

The ongoing development of the microprocessor.

When was the last time you actually heard of doctor's curing a major disease in a lab with petrie dish's?

If humanity were completely wiped from the planet there is no one who will care. Not god,not aliens,definitalty not the dinosaurs.

Religions may differ but we all agree on one thing. We need god. The reality is we understand life and the universe about as much as an ant understands theoretical physics.

As Dr.Carl Sagan put it "Humanity is a baby in a cradle on the doorstep of the universe". Seperate people all over the world created gods because of this feeling of loneliness in the universe. We needed a father figure. The only reason most gods are male is because the male sex is dominant amongst the sex's. As hard as women try this will always be the case. It's nature. We can't beat nature anymore than we can beat our false gods. Nature will win. We will fall as the dinosaurs did who ruled the earth for nearly a half a billion years.

You may find this hard to handle. Scientists know it, governments know it, doctors know it. Few of these people want you to know it. Today, tommorow a hundred years from now? It WILL happen. Deal with it or succumb to it. That is your only choice.

I am pinning my hopes on science.

And, I do not believe that humans stand outside of "nature." We are capable of harnessing, changing, manipulating and improving upon nature. Ofcourse, we must do so ethically and with sobriety.

This said, it is expected that the life spans of those now 35 or under will be "naturally" increased to 125, and in another generation ortwo...well...serious scientists are actually publicly throwing around the word "immortality" facilitated by advances in genetic engineering,nanotechnology, etc.

If we can, even in the quiet and private recesses of our minds, entertain the idea that human capacity might literally overcome biological death, then I amconfident we can overcome disease, starvation, global warming, etc… and certainly we will be required to redefine our ideas of "god" and"nature."

I have always chaffed against this idea that humans stand outside of and separate from "god" and "nature." I am fairly certain this is nottrue and fairly confident that "proofs" of this will emerge in the next few decades.

I just want to assure that our "science" extends to benefit all life forms and not just people.

I would also like to respond to the claim that the world is hugely over-populated.

Actually, it is not...but resources are not developed, used and distributed in a way that currently sustains populations. Developed parts of the world areconcerned about population shortages! Most of Europe and Japan are concerned about not having enough people to fill the future work force. The US escapesthis due to its immigration population and the fact that many immigrant groups tend to have larger families than some of the other demographics who settledhere earlier. Europe is going to have to get a handle on its immigration policies and attitudes and stop marginalizing the immigrant groups into second-classcaste systems.

The bulk of the world's regions, however, are being crushed under the weight of their populations, but this will be alleviated with continuingdevelopment--the wealthier a nation becomes, the lower its birthrates. And...the critical stages are upon us. We cannot possibly--as a conscious and ethicalspecies--stand by and allow forces, such as the results of globing warming, to force billions of people on the move in an effort to escape, say, rising sealevels, drought and famine. Where will these people migrate to? No country is going to allow hundreds of millions of climate refugees to stream across itsborders, and we certainly cannot allow a scenario to develop where national armies are ringing their borders and mowing down with weapons the wretches tryingto escape to food and shelter. We will not allow this to happen...I do not believe.

So, the solutions will have to be found. They will have to be implemented. And the biases--especially the religious biases--against advances in birthcontrol, genetic engineering for crops and other sciences, will simply have to be discarded as archaic relics of an era less humane and less enlightened. Either this, or humanity and its gods will have to accept that it is a vile and unethical creature willing to allow the decimation of billions so that a fewelites can harbor the notion that at least *they* will have a spot in heaven.

Such a paradigm can never prevail. It will not be allowed to.

Huh, the doc said I was fine or dying.

I get the song now. Yup, that's pretty much how I feel at this point. I can breathe.

Huh, the doc said I was fine or dying.

I get the song now. Yup, that's pretty much how I feel at this point. I can breathe.