Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U2stargirl

Swine Flu and the Tour

Huh, the doc said I was fine or dying.

I get the song now. Yup, that's pretty much how I feel at this point. I can breathe.

I get the song now. Yup, that's pretty much how I feel at this point. I can breathe.

u2zoo24 wrote:

U2stargirl wrote:

Anyone think that the Swine Flu epidemic will affect U2's touring plans (and ours)???? Cases have shown up in several states including Canada and Australia. The number of cases are likely to grow in the next several months. Scary.

Diane

1. Are you reffering to Canada and Australia as States of America? Cuz frankly I find that HUGELY INSULTING. Whether it is ignorance or just poor grammer. Canada and Australia are soveriegn independent countries.

We're all doomed

2. We're all doomed. Viruses are now appearing and growing in strength for two reasons.

#1. Nature and viral infection are advancing beyond the abilitys of our antibiotics and medical knowledge. Please keep in mind that real practical medicine has only exsisted for about 100 years. I mean before that it was yogurt enimas and bloodletting people.

#2. The cutting of the Amazon and other large bodys is releasing disease that has lay dormant for thousands of years.

One day soon a virus or disease will appear that will kill BILLIONS of people and if it cannot be stopped it will kill us all. No advisorys or flight cancelations will protect us. If it's an airborne virus. Which one of them will most likely evolve into. Then unless your in a hermedically sealed chamber ,your F^&*ed.

For all our mastery of science and medicine there is one thing we have been unable to control, Nature. The huge amount of human population decrease will be good for mother nature and the survivors. We are massivly overpopulated on this planet.

Yes there have been huge advancments in medcine but that is mostly for one reason.

The ongoing development of the microprocessor.

When was the last time you actually heard of doctor's curing a major disease in a lab with petrie dish's?

If humanity were completely wiped from the planet there is no one who will care. Not god,not aliens,definitalty not the dinosaurs.

Religions may differ but we all agree on one thing. We need god. The reality is we understand life and the universe about as much as an ant understands theoretical physics.

As Dr.Carl Sagan put it "Humanity is a baby in a cradle on the doorstep of the universe". Seperate people all over the world created gods because of this feeling of loneliness in the universe. We needed a father figure. The only reason most gods are male is because the male sex is dominant amongst the sex's. As hard as women try this will always be the case. It's nature. We can't beat nature anymore than we can beat our false gods. Nature will win. We will fall as the dinosaurs did who ruled the earth for nearly a half a billion years.

You may find this hard to handle. Scientists know it, governments know it, doctors know it. Few of these people want you to know it. Today, tommorow a hundred years from now? It WILL happen. Deal with it or succumb to it. That is your only choice.

Yes, I understand thatAustralia and Canada are not part of the USA for crying out loud. I didn't realize zootopians were so f*ckin serious. (PoorGrammar-ooopsss) Shush Now....

PiChU wrote:

jajaja esta muy bueno tu chiste cocoliso!!!

yo creo que entre menos se preocupe la gente y mejor este preparada ya lo de mas viene sobrando.

Por cierto dicen que la influenza tiene que ver con los brotes de riketsia aqui en Mxli, investigalo si quieres, son los mismos sintomas.

"They say the riketsia epidemic we had in Mexicali about a month ago has something to do with the flu

same symptoms and everything."

Ricketssias are bacterias, the Influenza A virus subtype H1N1 is a new influenza virus that contains genetic pieces from four different virus sources, amutant...

eaplatt wrote:

Ironic: I'm just getting over a bout with the flu--don't know if it was "swiney" or not, since I was about 3-4 days into the symptoms when the media began blaring about the new swine flu.

But let's keep things in perspective: the "regular" flu that hits each year (it's really usually multiple strains) can kill tens of thousands of people in the US; statistics get thrown around, ranging from 20,000+ to just over 50,000 deaths each year. (I think some stats lump flu and pneumonia deaths together, which may account for the higher numbers.) Yet we don't see people freaking out about this.

Not saying that this strain couldn't mutate into something especially virulent; nature can be funny that way. A lot of media reports keep referencing the great flu epidemic of 1918, but remember, there've been a lot of medical advances made since 1918.

Oh, yeah: Folks should also pull out their dictionaries and check the medical use of words like "epidemic" and "pandemic" (and "endemic" while you're at it). "Pandemic" doesn't mean the disease is the worst of the worst; just that it's appeared in diverse locations. You can be killed by an endemic disease just as readily as a pandemic disease, if your friendly neighborhood pathogens get to you first. Unfortunately, when most people hear terms like "pandemic," they think of B-movie scenarios where people drop dead in the streets after a few coughs.

As for the U2 tour--yes, I can be shallow enough to have wondered if this might affect the tour. Actually, I was musing on how, by being late (again) with their latest album, U2 may have dodged two bullets this time: First, by not releasing a disc right as the world economy did a face-plant; this in turn pushed the tour back from what we originally anticipated--e.g., Spring 2009--to a Summer/Autumn tour, which means they wouldn't be launching a tour right in the midst of a global flu-scare freakout.

Then I recalled that U2 won't even play here in the Bay Area this year, so what do we care?
devil.gif

Do recall that the Rolling Stones had to reschedule some Canadian shows during the SARS outbreak (was it?) some years back. I figure that if the situation is bad enough by the time U2 hit the road, everyone involved with the tour, and local health authorities, would have to decide if it was ill-advised to hold any sort of large public gathering. In other words, they'll have to roll with the punches, just like the rest of us.

-- eaplatt

well put

"We're all doomed!" "You're F*cked!"

...You people are really getting of my nerve right now!

Camucha wrote:

PiChU wrote:

jajaja esta muy bueno tu chiste cocoliso!!!

yo creo que entre menos se preocupe la gente y mejor este preparada ya lo de mas viene sobrando.

Por cierto dicen que la influenza tiene que ver con los brotes de riketsia aqui en Mxli, investigalo si quieres, son los mismos sintomas.

"They say the riketsia epidemic we had in Mexicali about a month ago has something to do with the flu

same symptoms and everything."

Ricketssias are bacterias, the Influenza A virus subtype H1N1 is a new influenza virus that contains genetic pieces from four different virus sources, a mutant...

Ah well I'm no doctor...hey this reminds me of a joke!

What did a mexican doctor said to a swine flu patient?

Don't worry, it's psychological!

(LMAO! I kill myself!)

I just called the NHS Swine Flu helpline...

All I got was crackling.

norwaylad wrote:

I just called the NHS Swine Flu helpline...

All I got was crackling.

Well, at least it didn't say Oink Oink

*wahine throws corn at that Mayan temple in Mexico City-just take it and leave our people alone!*

2012 is getting close.