Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

promans

Lord Jesus is "The Magnificent"

I'm not sure I would say Jesus...Personally, I thought it was about two lovers. God forbide, it might be something so simple. Of course my daughter saysthe song is about God. Everybody puts God in the way of the songs, which seems backwards. *wahine yells stop helping God across the road like a little oldlady*

I have an idea....look away (for just a moment, if you can) from God and Bono and have a look at the absolutely AMAZING things coming down the pike in scienceand techonlogy--nanorobots that enter the bloodstream to fix diseased organs, as one example.

wahine wrote:

I'm not sure I would say Jesus...Personally, I thought it was about two lovers. God forbide, it might be something so simple. Of course my daughter says the song is about God. Everybody puts God in the way of the songs, which seems backwards. *wahine yells stop helping God across the road like a little old lady*

Right on! If it's about God, then yeah!! But if you interpret it as two lovers, in my opinion it's much more romantico.

If you listen very very closly you will hear Bono whisper very slightly..........

Basher is............MAGNIFICENT.........

Mr Fly wrote:

Ali. The song's about Ali.

awww....Mr F don't kill my fun i was wondering if anybody would actually listen to it very closely........lol

basher1 wrote:

If you listen very very closly you will hear Bono whisper very slightly..........

Basher is............MAGNIFICENT.........

Classic!

Yeah, if you leave the God factor out of the song, and really listen to the music as much as the vocals it's a very sexy song. Real love is sexy :)Don't get me wrong, I love the Lord, I just hear something different in this song. Edge's sound is very alluring in Magnificent. The whole song is verypowerful.

The Magnificat to me is more about Mary...("lowly handmaiden who will for future generations be called blessed") who visits her cousin, whose baby,the future John the Baptist stirs in Elizabeth's womb when Mary greets Elizabeth. But I haven't gone over it in a while....good old Catholicschool....follows ya everywhere....

gibbo1968 wrote:
Hallelujah praise the lord of Basher!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

But just behind Stevie G...........

I can,t add anything more to that, God Bless you.

whatever floats youre boat o.p/

im not religious at all,i just like the song for what it is.

a great tune.

pa kitty wrote:

The Prayer if you are interested

My soul magnifies the Lord,

And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.

For He has regarded the low estate of His handmaiden,

For behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name. And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.

He has shown strength with His arm:

He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.

He has put down the mighty from their thrones,

and exalted those of low degree.

He has filled the hungry with good things;

and the rich He has sent empty away.

He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy;

As He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to His posterity forever.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.

As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

not only are brian eno, daniel lanois co-writing but now god too! jesus what with the dodgey cover that belonged to some other artist and now a flippingwashing powder commercial for the new video - it all seems a bit bizarre and time for a reality check, five years for all this nonsense - hope the next one isback to normalityroll.gif

Wahine I agree with you, I originally thought it was about Ali

I don't mind people reading Jesus & God into every single song U2 have recorded but I just don't see it (I love the one that Jesus after the lastsupper went to the disco dressed as a US Policeman with a mirrorball), I'm a Catholic of some 46 years and I know my belief but just read the lyricsdifferently, as i said before each to there own.

Did that make sense or am I really saying " not another fecking load of references to jesus"... I hope not

Unos wrote:

Wahine I agree with you, I originally thought it was about Ali

I don't mind people reading Jesus & God into every single song U2 have recorded but I just don't see it (I love the one that Jesus after the last supper went to the disco dressed as a US Policeman with a mirrorball), I'm a Catholic of some 46 years and I know my belief but just read the lyrics differently, as i said before each to there own.

Did that make sense or am I really saying " not another fecking load of references to jesus"... I hope not

It makes perfect sense to me. LOL!

"While I was writing this song, I was thinking about the kind of lyric Cole Porter would sing, but I was also thinking aboutthe Magnificat. Bach does a good one... (sings the tune and laughs). This one is about two lovers holding on to each other and trying to turn their life intoworship. Not of each other, but of being alive, of God... of spirit."

That's what Bono has to say about the song (in the NLOTH book). I don't think Bono would write anything as boring and simplistic as "Jesus ismagnificent". I'm not sure he could write anything that straightforward if he tried. wink.gif That's my perspective, but I don't believe in Jesus, or God. Bonofrequently sings of Judeo-Christian themes, which is fine with me, but if Bono was a mere bible-thumper, I wouldn't bother listening to U2. Bono'slyrics are open enough to mean something to people of his faith, other faiths, or no faith.

Dreamer wrote:

"While I was writing this song, I was thinking about the kind of lyric Cole Porter would sing, but I was also thinking about the Magnificat. Bach does a good one... (sings the tune and laughs). This one is about two lovers holding on to each other and trying to turn their life into worship. Not of each other, but of being alive, of God... of spirit."

That's what Bono has to say about the song (in the NLOTH book). I don't think Bono would write anything as boring and simplistic as "Jesus is magnificent". I'm not sure he could write anything that straightforward if he tried.
That's my perspective, but I don't believe in Jesus, or God. Bono frequently sings of Judeo-Christian themes, which is fine with me, but if Bono was a mere bible-thumper, I wouldn't bother listening to U2. Bono's lyrics are open enough to mean something to people of his faith, other faiths, or no faith.

Well, I for sure felt it was between two lovers, so I'm pleased to see what Bono wrote about this song *wahine likes being right occassionally*

I have often felt Bono writes his lyrics the way he reads and speaks. He reads really deep literature and quotes bible passages off the top of his head so naturally you would see the religous or spiritual influences in his lyrics even without meaning for it to come off that way. Something simple becomes highly debated. I'm a big believer in the Lord, I don't need to go around declaring or justifying it-I'm secure enough in my beliefs and I for sure won't turn my back on someone because they may or may not think the way I do, unless they are out to hurt me or others. I don't pretend to know how Bono thinks/writes his music, I just felt his influences in literature reflect in his music thereby always raising the question of is he or is he not writing about God.

Dreamer wrote:

"While I was writing this song, I was thinking about the kind of lyric Cole Porter would sing, but I was also thinking about the Magnificat. Bach does a good one... (sings the tune and laughs). This one is about two lovers holding on to each other and trying to turn their life into worship. Not of each other, but of being alive, of God... of spirit."

That's what Bono has to say about the song (in the NLOTH book). I don't think Bono would write anything as boring and simplistic as "Jesus is magnificent". I'm not sure he could write anything that straightforward if he tried.
That's my perspective, but I don't believe in Jesus, or God. Bono frequently sings of Judeo-Christian themes, which is fine with me, but if Bono was a mere bible-thumper, I wouldn't bother listening to U2. Bono's lyrics are open enough to mean something to people of his faith, other faiths, or no faith.

"But being alive, of God of spirit", that's pretty deep stuff there. Makes me love the song even more. Thanks for the Bono quote and thanks foryour thoughts as well. : )

if you read the book that comes with the delux package bono tells us what the song is about.

he says it is a LOVE song, about YOUR FIRST LOVE. he was also thinking about THE MAGNIFICAT. this song is about 2 lovers, holding on to each other and tryingto turn their life into worship and being alive, of GOD. of spirit.

MacFoley wrote:

if you read the book that comes with the delux package bono tells us what the song is about.

he says it is a LOVE song, about YOUR FIRST LOVE. he was also thinking about THE MAGNIFICAT. this song is about 2 lovers, holding on to each other and trying to turn their life into worship and being alive, of GOD. of spirit.

So there you go everybody's right. Thanks Mac for clearing that uptongue.gif

Like With or Without You, Magnificent is a song that seems to have three characters- a man, a woman, and God....

velocity1759 wrote:

Like With or Without You, Magnificent is a song that seems to have three characters- a man, a woman, and God....

That's almost all U2 songs ever written! lol

Absolutely agree, he is praising the Lord for the wonderful gift he was given...born to sing for him / for us!

pa kitty wrote:

The Prayer if you are interested

My soul magnifies the Lord,

And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.

For He has regarded the low estate of His handmaiden,

For behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name. And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.

He has shown strength with His arm:

He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.

He has put down the mighty from their thrones,

and exalted those of low degree.

He has filled the hungry with good things;

and the rich He has sent empty away.

He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy;

As He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to His posterity forever.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.

As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

I have heard from quite a few different sources that Magnificent comes from the Magnificat. I've read that and heard it many times. IDO think that Moment of Surrender could well have been written to Christ. I'm not saying that I've heard this but if you believe in Jesus Christ, goback and listen to the song with particular attention to the lyrics. For me it's a love song between myself and Christ. Maybe Bono wrote it for thatparticular reason, maybe he didn't (NOT SAYING HE WROTE IT FOR ME...LOL) but everytime I hear it (and I listen to it a few times a day) I fall in lovewith Jesus Christ all over again.

In no way do I mean this response to shove religion into anyone's face who doesn't want to hear about it but for me it's all about Christ. Thewhole album is full of Catholicism for me but I'm a devout Catholic. In any event, the words have very deep meaning no matter what they are about.