Sign in to follow this  
pollyanna

Counting......a way of life.

2403 oh exams are a load of crap! lol OK so I never finished high school but at 11 they shouldn't have so much stress in their lives! Good luck to her though and I hope you buy her some ice cream whatever she gets!

2404 I left my heart in tokyo down by the river don't you know? I had to let it go nobody know to bring it home!

2402 thanks . . . you have no idea how hard she's been studying! She's had headaches and stomach aches over these stupid tests . . . she's barely 11 yrs. old!!!

11?! why cant kids just be kids anymore?! my youngest is 10 (turning 11 in may) and at his school, they've changed their view on testing, since 2 years now, they 're acknowledging the importance of ready knowledge. so tests are still taken but spread over several weeks (to reduce stress) instead of all material tested in 2 weeks, 3 times a year.and they take more unanounced tests too.

it's a good system, it did reduce the stress in our house!! 

2405 - It is so unfair to assess these kids all the time. As a teacher all we do is teach to the exam, not teach the kids to just love the subject and (god forbid that i say it) actually just enjoy school. It pains to me to teach a novel and have to pull it apart and look at structure, cultural context, sentences, inference - i could continue! In my old school we actually had one lesson a week which we called reading for enjoyment!!! A dying art. don't know what it is like n the US but over here the only reason why we do these horrible tests is to set unrealistic targets for the pupils and schools and so they can be put into league tables to show which is the best school etc... which normallyis the one with the most money! Uuggghhhh - hate it all!!

2407 right i'm off need a shower before bed and need to get up early sigh why oh why me?! lol

2405 - It is so unfair to assess these kids all the time. As a teacher all we do is teach to the exam, not teach the kids to just love the subject and (god forbid that i say it) actually just enjoy school. It pains to me to teach a novel and have to pull it apart and look at structure, cultural context, sentences, inference - i could continue! In my old school we actually had one lesson a week which we called reading for enjoyment!!! A dying art. don't know what it is like n the US but over here the only reason why we do these horrible tests is to set unrealistic targets for the pupils and schools and so they can be put into league tables to show which is the best school etc... which normallyis the one with the most money! Uuggghhhh - hate it all!!
2408 . . . exactly what we have over here too and a major reason I was glad to leave teaching (the other was the hoodlums, but that's another story). Social Studies was (is) reduced to a list of dates, battles, memorize trivial data, but none of the "big ideas" like how did that change the world or how is that like or different from today!

2409 its all about test numbers . . . which school in the district is the best or which state in the U.S. has the highest scores . . . like that makes them "best"

My poor daughter used to cry in bed at night saying she wasn't smart and last year she wrote a note to Santa asking to be the smartest kid in her class so she wouldn't be made fun of. That's what she wanted for Christmas. Her younger brother is a genius and she has always struggled, has watched him get awards while she is ignored.

She went from being so motivated at her new school this year and getting straight A's and feeling so good about herself to all this stress . . . she knows we are proud of her regardless!!! Like I told her this morning, whatever grade these tests give her, she has finally proven that she is smart and she needs to be proud of her accomplishments. No one, including her, will remember these grades in a few years.

2410 but I still want her to get those grades and show 'em all!!!

2411 - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her. Hope she shows them!

2413 - Good morning everyone, another day working yeah!!! So better be off to make myself look human!

Hw did your daughter do Janette?

2415 - I'll post you a repair kit 123, hope you're ok!

2416 have you ever just wonderd why we put ourselves into this position in the first place eh?

2417 - because we are too nice to refuse?

2419 - that's true 123

2413 - Good morning everyone, another day working yeah!!! So better be off to make myself look human!

Hw did your daughter do Janette?

2420 Good morning! No grades posted yet . . . will hope for later today  . . . she says she felt that she knew most of the answers, so that's a good sign ")

Thanks for asking!!!

2422 - Good morning Janette! Still keeping our fingers crossed for you then!

i just read your post about daughter crying at night and being unhappy...so sad! we have these adverts on national tv, saying a technical education is very worth-full to get a good job or go to college even! thats a progress, cause technical highschools have been looked down up on for years.. such BS cause there's a lack of good craftsman: electricians, plumbers, and besides their among the well-paid jobs! and why should they be inferior to employers working with their brains only.. a good craftsman uses brains and hands at same time...

2423 - You right barbara - it annoys me that these exams are all about being academic. Some people are more vocational and show their intelligence in more practical work. We learn about all these different type sof learners and we are expected to teach lessons which will be accessible to auditory, visual, kinesthetic etc... learners. But after we have done that they have to sit down to do tests - which isn't the right way to show what most of these people have learnt because it isn't the right reflection of their learning style! Bloody education!!!!!!!!

2424 You both are so right!Everyone learns differently and schools need a balance . . . ask my girl to tell you about it and she can, but ask her to write it and she's going to leave out much detail. She excells in music and art - she can look at a piece of music and play it on her flute or keyboards, she can draw . . . not much place for that in Calif. schools anymore. Also, Calif. (and the rest of the U.S.???) used to have technical schools, but funding cutbacks took it all away! There's one left in S.Cal. that I know of, but that's it and its not near us.

2425 I should say also that when we adopted our daughter, she had been through much abuse . . . 5 or 6 foster homes within one year and separated from her brother (we also adopted him) and she came to us with a black eye and strangulation marks (they went to prison for that), plus she had been starved . . . so, she was withdrawn, angry, speech-delayed, etc.

I don't know why I'm going on and on . . . just so angry that she's come so far and pushed herself past so much and it makes me so very angry!!!