Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kennyu272

'Noisy' U2 must pay us €80k, say angry residents

U2 must cough up €80,000 for being too noisy at their Croke Park concerts, say residents.

They have said MCD, promoters of the three gigs, should forfeit the cash they lodged as a bond after breaching sound limits -- and give the money to thelocal community.

The residents spoke out as they prepared attempts to block any more concerts that would cause as much disruption as the U2 gigs.

They are to meet the GAA next month for talks on future events at the stadium.

Dublin City Council has confirmed that the 75-decibel maximum allowed at the venue under planning conditions was broken on all three nights of U2's 360degree tour concerts.

Barbara Ward, of the Clonliffe and District Residents Association, said: "There was an €80,000 bond put up before the concerts and Dublin City Councilwere to withhold all or part of that bond if there were any breaches.

"We haven't heard yet what the council will do, but we want the full €80,000 to be withheld, and it should be reinvested in the area because we arethe ones who had to put up with it."

Claw

Ms. Ward said there would be more protests if there was a repeat of the disruption caused by the creation of U2's "claw" stage.

Patrick Gates, of the Croke Park Residents Alliance, said he would be seeking guarantees from the GAA that the problems suffered would not be repeated atany future events.

© Herald.ie, 2009.

I can sympathise to some degree with the locals re noise etc if they're not music fans but, given that Croke Park is over 100 years old, all of theseresidents must have known about the venue before the decided to buy/move into the area. Surely that's a matter of choice for them eg. you wouldn'tchoose to live near a busy road if you hated traffic noise. I can't imagine that the football and rugby crowds are exactly quiet either. Is this justanother example of U2 bashing or plain old greed rearing it's ugly head. Dublin must have done very nicely thank you from the thousands of people whotravelled there solely to see U2. I bet the hoteliers, caterers, publicans, taxi drivers etc etc weren't moaning during the third week of July!

That said, I see no harm in theory for U2 contributing towards less affluent communities in areas where their gigs are held, particularly when they are on formore than one night. After all charity, in my opinion, should begin at home. Could be that's what irritates these locals more than the music?

(I live on the outskirts of a popular seaside town and often silently moan about the tourists, the noise, the crowds, expensive parking, traffic jams etc BUTwhen I'm being rational I do realise that without tourism the town would be a ghost town, the locals would have none of the facilities they can enjoy allyear round; a decent music venue, a variety of shops, sports centres, theatre, job opportunities, outdoor recreation for children etc)

same thing as moving near an airport and complaining about the noise from passing planes. Building a house next to a highway and complaining about traffic andpollution. Building your house 6 meters below sealevel and complaining about water in the basement.

MacFoley wrote:

maybe u2 should look for a new venue when they come back to ireland................

Come to Newcastle Upon Tyne instead (it's just across the stream!) - they haven't played Newcastle for over 25 years!

Well said, Elaine!

The fact that they played there at all supported the area- without any charity!

I wonder if they have ever tried this with any other event?

MacFoley wrote:

maybe u2 should look for a new venue when they come back to ireland................

Then the residents would complain about U2 not playing there.

MacFoley wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

MacFoley wrote:

Lansdowne Rd will probably be the central venue for the big gigs. It's in the city centre too (just 15-20min walk for me yay). But then againGAA/Croke are desperate for cash and these few gigs they hold there everey year give them shitloads of money so at the end of the day they might say, F*ck theresidents, we're getting some real money from the big gigs, bring it on, Bono!

By the end of April 2010 rugby/soccer will be gone from Croke (hallelujah) so even less income for GAA (hallelujah again).

basher1 wrote:

The words......FUCK.......and .......OFF......come to mind.

when I looked a Croke Park's website I realised that there have been very few gigs there this year, U2 and Take That I think was about it, soI echo Basher's words. If the locals can't put up with a bit of extra noise on less than a dozen nights a year they need to get a life. I suspect thosewho are moaning the loudest would also be the kind to report their neighbours for a one night a year loud party!

I think 80.000 is a small sum to pay considering that all three shows earned for U2 about 25 millions.

I say - Pay the fine and play there again, even if they have to pay another 80 grand. Well worth it!

Kristaps
wrote:

I think 80.000 is a small sum to pay considering that all three shows earned for U2 about 25 millions.

I say - Pay the fine and play there again, even if they have to pay another 80 grand. Well worth it!

I say-pay the fine and never play there again...Come on, thats so stupid! They have that kind of event in town and then they make such a messbecause of a noise. Noise? LOL How come that was not the problem in other cities?eyes.gif

Because other stadiums aren't in densely populated residential areas?

Perhaps a compromise could be moving the curfew. For example Wembley is 22.30. Is an 80k bond really enough to guarantee the noise levels? Surely 80k is naffall to such a large organisation?

It wasn't the gig curfew the residents were complaining about, more like the dismantling of the stage at 3am.

Oh well.

Ragoo wrote:

It wasn't the gig curfew the residents were complaining about, more like the dismantling of the stage at 3am.

Oh well.

But the bond was for breaching an agreed sound level during the gigs right?

The oldest protest against Rock&Roll...

"Why do you have to play it so loud!?"

Now...did someone needed proof that U2 has gone back to their roots?

I do want to point out that the security before the concerts was completely focused on keeping the "neighborhood" from getting trashed, keepingnoise down as people waited in line and opened up the "doors" to bring the people in off the streets at early hours on concert day. The 500 or soearlybirds seemed incredibly respectful-it sure could have been worse! Also, I found it strange that many of the "neighbors" were selling bottledwater, funky hats, and what-not (Mr. Fish had a term for this "junk", I forget what it was)-I am sure they made a pretty penny (or euro) on theirfront lawns before and after the concert.

Sounds like "politics" at its finest-a few loudmouths with "power" supposedly speaking on behalf of all...ick. I say the water vendorsshould rise up and ....

sorry, babbling again ohwell.gif