Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kennyu272

'Noisy' U2 must pay us €80k, say angry residents

paulmarcussmith1 wrote:

sounds like a crock of sh1t

or a croke of sh1t...lol

Ragoo wrote:

It wasn't the gig curfew the residents were complaining about, more like the dismantling of the stage at 3am.

Oh well.

Ragoo is right.

It was a combination of the disruption caused by erecting the stage (4 days),gigs (3 days) dismantling the stage (around the clock) (2 days) and then workingto lay a new pitch (again 24 hrs around the clock) (3 days).

That is what all the fuss was about.

The main blame has to go with the GAA, they are the ones who had a standing agreement with residents about disruption caused from GAA events and concerts.Whichclearly wasn't adhered too.

I love music and remember distinctly being on a trip in Cabo San Lucas, in an oceanfront room, I had just gotten my girls down for an afternoon nap, Iwanted to nap too, and this band starts rehearsing on the ocean. I had to call and complain...it turned out to be America, I loved "Horse woth NoName". That's when I knew I was "old". It was a sad day.

Elaine1202 wrote:

I can sympathise to some degree with the locals re noise etc if they're not music fans but, given that Croke Park is over 100 years old, all of these residents must have known about the venue before the decided to buy/move into the area. Surely that's a matter of choice for them eg. you wouldn't choose to live near a busy road if you hated traffic noise. I can't imagine that the football and rugby crowds are exactly quiet either. Is this just another example of U2 bashing or plain old greed rearing it's ugly head. Dublin must have done very nicely thank you from the thousands of people who travelled there solely to see U2. I bet the hoteliers, caterers, publicans, taxi drivers etc etc weren't moaning during the third week of July!

That said, I see no harm in theory for U2 contributing towards less affluent communities in areas where their gigs are held, particularly when they are on for more than one night. After all charity, in my opinion, should begin at home. Could be that's what irritates these locals more than the music?

(I live on the outskirts of a popular seaside town and often silently moan about the tourists, the noise, the crowds, expensive parking, traffic jams etc BUT when I'm being rational I do realise that without tourism the town would be a ghost town, the locals would have none of the facilities they can enjoy all year round; a decent music venue, a variety of shops, sports centres, theatre, job opportunities, outdoor recreation for children etc)

Totaly Agree. I live not far from Liverpool FC and on matchdays the traffic round there is bad. I know that they where there long before me so i chose to livethere. They want to build a ground of maybe 70,000 and im against that. Not being a hypocrite but the ground was there before me i accept. The new ground onthe otherhand is only going to make matters worse and that i wont accept.

I think 80,000 euros would be invested well for a few thousand ear plugs to the neighbourhood!

Also, i am tired of the dustbin men waking me up every friday morning ...may i sue?????