Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Some Way Back To Blogging

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 musicabona

musicabona

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 409 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

Listening to the cd "From The Ground Up" I regard "Electrical Storm" as a stand-out track. I love how the subliminal tension of my favourite song slowly increases and culminates in an ecstatic roar full of passion and pure emotion. It´s just a fascinating example of U2´s talent to use archaic images in order to illustrate a whole palette of feelings such a rage, hope and love. This piece deals with a relationship of a couple possibly getting through some conflicts, but according to Bono it also captures people´s nervousity and unease after 9/11 (U2 BY U2, page 314). For me "Electrical Storm" also represents Bono´s preference to shine a light on a story from different perspectives. The first verse takes us to a maritime place, letting us observe those portentous surroundings from the angle of a passive viewer. Surprisingly, Bono abandons that distant position and brings those two lovers into a sort of conversation. An extraordinary move that feels like stepping into a video.

I frequently used to ask myself: Why does U2´s music touch us so deeply? I think our love for those songs goes further than just an uplifting sonic experience. As a writer, Bono has a remarkable sensitivity to put himself in people´s place, giving a sympathetic impression. Through his subtle choice of words he allows us to experience a special closeness to those characters. In that context we can explore more tracks from various albums: "Running To Stand Still" for instance was written from the perspective of a couple having to cope with heroin addiction on the north side of Dublin, an area near to Bono´s childhood home. This song shows the singer´s deep humanity and empathy for those whose company tends to get avoided in our society. "Sometimes You Can´t Make It On Your Own" is one of the most personal pieces demonstrating great courage to share innermost feelings with millions of fans around the globe. Bono´s words reflect all the inner fights going along with an intense relationship and finally he expresses deep gratitude and affection as he passionately sings: "You´re the reason why the opera is in me". One of the most heart-wrenching moments ever.

"Beautiful Day" is another gem centered around a person going through a dark time after some kind of misfortune or loss. At the same time Bono seems to send his messages directly to the listener. Once again, he succeeds to reach his audience on a very personal level, creating a connection that makes everyone feel like a part of the plot. In the refrain the language gets even more direct as he shouts: "Touch me, take me to that other place". That particular line can be interpreted as a plea adressed to a partner, friend or relative, but it also may include hints of Christian faith, probably revealing somebody´s inner need for some divine help. According to Greg Garrett´s book "We Get To Carry Each Other-The Gospel According To U2" prayer is an attempt to communicate on a spiritual level (page 28-32). Consequently, the line "How long to sing this song?" from "40" comes to mind. These lyrics-wholeheartedly repeated by fans in the very last minutes of numerous U2 concerts-express some disappointment because of God´s apparent refusal to act in a world overshadowed by absurd violence. With "Wake Up Dead Man" U2 go even one step further by delivering clear anger, but behind these cutting verses we can feel an urgency for communication and hope for a response. In contrast to that dark mood "Yahweh"-to a large extent sung in the imperative-comes across as an uplifting encouragement.

Oftentimes, I´m astonished by U2´s eagerness to cross borders and speak to us through their music. Untiringly, they leave their comfort zone to reach out and diminish the gap between artists and listeners. When we hear about "love and community " ("Get On Your Boots") we may get aware of something truly precious: The essence real life is about.

Edited by musicabona, 07 April 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#2 Anjana

Anjana

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 15,559 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

I really enjoyed reading your piece, it's so well written and thought through, you are very articulate. The last para sums U2 up beautifully, though I could never write it as well as you do B) .

I do love that U2's music has not stayed the same like so many other bands who stick to the same sound, instead it has grown and matured with them and often reflects something quite personal going on in their lives. ATYCLB for instance, comes in for a lot of flack at times but to me its mellow sense of sweet sadness/loss reflects a passing of a time perhaps related to Bono's father (we can but speculate really) and also Atomic Bomb , to me, feels like slowly coming out of that place and shouting out loud again, I like the mix of songs on that album, there's a sense of joy to it amid some sorrow.

Thankfully they always strive to better themselves creatively and altho the long wait between albums can be tiresome for fans, I feel they always deliver their best, I don't always like what they deliver but I can appreciate that they really put their heart and soul into it and that's enough for me.

th_gifu2360.gif

#3 musicabona

musicabona

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 409 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

Thank you, Anjana! Your words are also beautiful and well written. :)

I also love U2´s ability to develop and explore new and different sounds. After a long career they still try to challenge themselves musically and lyrically. Yes, ATYCLB and Atomic Bomb reveal the sorrow Bono had to get through after the disease and death of his father and it´s true that they also express some hope and joy.

#4 Achtung75

Achtung75

Playboy Mansion ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,330 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

Electrical Storm. Have to disagree Pam. Great vocal, terrible arrangement.

#5 joe

joe

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 2,055 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Electrical Storm is a gem of a song, however since Bono can't hit the high note with his primal scream anymore, it lost a little live. Great to read a blog in the forum. Viva la blogs!
Joe

#6 Elaine1202

Elaine1202

Playboy Mansion ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,357 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

Five stars and a great blog! I adore Electrical Storm, such passion.

#7 maggie18patchwork

maggie18patchwork

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 2,663 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

Another beautiful blog from you Pam.

Have missed the blogs and all the regular bloggers.

Haven't found my way around the forums yet !!

Will try harder

#8 musicabona

musicabona

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 409 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

Thank you for your nice words, you all! :)

It´s great and interesting to read different thoughts regarding Electrical Storm. For me it has always been a hidden gem, so I´m glad that U2 played it live during the 360 Tour.

In the last few days I was not sure if I should try to post a blog in the forums. It took me a while to figure out everything here, but yesterday I decided to write and just see what happens. Friends and fellow-bloggers, we don´t need to give up what we have been doing for years. It´s a joy to see you here! :)

Edited by musicabona, 08 April 2013 - 07:26 AM.

#9 liljbau

liljbau

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,684 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

AMAZING!!!!!!  i think you need to start compiling all your blogs and make a book!!!!

wow    wow     wow!!!!

beautiful!!!

#10 musicabona

musicabona

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 409 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

Thank you, Jim! :)

#11 xtraspicy62

xtraspicy62

• 14,024 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

Thank you for your nice words, you all! :)

It´s great and interesting to read different thoughts regarding Electrical Storm. For me it has always been a hidden gem, so I´m glad that U2 played it live during the 360 Tour.

In the last few days I was not sure if I should try to post a blog in the forums. It took me a while to figure out everything here, but yesterday I decided to write and just see what happens. Friends and fellow-bloggers, we don´t need to give up what we have been doing for years. It´s a joy to see you here! :)

you did a great job,and this beauty should be its own thread

#12 xtraspicy62

xtraspicy62

• 14,024 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

AMAZING!!!!!!  i think you need to start compiling all your blogs and make a book!!!!

wow    wow     wow!!!!

beautiful!!!

I agree JIm.

there have been some truly inspired writing by u2.com fans, and this would make a wonderful book.

I would love it to be like a daily meditation book...like daily readings.

smaller and lighter when created, so can tuck into my purse and carry a long when riding the bus, train and so on...

#13 musicabona

musicabona

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 409 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

Thank you, Xtraspicy! I also enjoyed reading many great posts of my fellow bloggers. Yes, a book that includes some writing from U2 fans would be beautiful. :)   

#14 Anjana

Anjana

• 15,559 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Hey that's not a bad idea y'know, like a U2 thought for the day, it can be short or long...your mind can wander!

Maybe start a thread on that, see how it goes? could be interesting reading zootop's random thoughts on the bandcomputer3.gif

th_gifu2360.gif

#15 xtraspicy62

xtraspicy62

• 14,024 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:07 AM

Hey that's not a bad idea y'know, like a U2 thought for the day, it can be short or long...your mind can wander!

Maybe start a thread on that, see how it goes? could be interesting reading zootop's random thoughts on the bandcomputer3.gif

totally LOVE IT!!

a book of U2 THOUGHT FOR THE DAY.........