• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 febottini

febottini

Playboy Mansion ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,302 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo - Brazil

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

Jack White was a teenager in blue-collar Detroit when he purchased U2's heavy left turn of a seventh album, Achtung Baby. "I listened to that a lot in my headphones," he says. Almost immediately, the bluesman was drawn to the LP's closing track, "Love Is Blindness." "I listened to that on repeat quite often," says White, whose cover of the U2 classic appears on the soundtrack for The Great Gatsby.

Before White entered the studio, the guitarist engaged in brainstorming sessions with Jay-Z (who, in addition to his duties as executive producer, also wrote and performed the original song, "100$ Bill"). "I talked to Jay-Z a lot," White says. "We went back and forth on a lot of ideas. But the one that I kept thinking about, the one that was interesting just for me, was the "Love Is Blindness" track."

'Great Gatsby' Soundtrack Features Jay-Z, Andre 3000, Beyonce, Lana Del Rey.

White was confident that his grimy rendition, one he characterizes as "almost violent," would fit in well with director Baz Luhrmann's vision for F. Scott Fitzgerald's iconic tale of wealth, privilege and deception. "I could imagine it in hundreds of different scenarios," he says.

The guitarist first recorded his cover of "Love Is Blindness" in 2011 at the request of the Edge (the pair had previously joined forces for Davis Guggenheim's guitar documentary, It Might Get Loud, in 2008). Afterwards, the U2 co-founder asked White if he'd contribute a U2 cover to the band's 20th-anniversary Achtung Baby release, Ahk-toong Bay-bi Covered.

"I get requests for some kind of compilation, duet or tribute album twice a week," White explains. "And I always say no. I can't stand 99-percent of them – they're just wastes of time. But this one was different, because I've been connected to Edge since we made the guitar film."

"I thought, 'Well, this feels real close to me,'" he continues. "As long as I can do 'Love Is Blindness.' As long as no one's taken that."

White ended up so pleased with his version of the U2 track – which was originally inspired by the Edge’s breakup with his then wife, Aislinn O'Sullivan – that he asked for (and recieved) permission from the guitarist to include it as a b-side to his 2012 solo debut, Blunderbuss.

"This was bigger than just a tribute record," he explains. "It came off so powerful, we had to ask if we could put it somewhere else."

Edited by febottini, 06 May 2013 - 05:21 PM.

7632973530_0c548fe21e.jpg

#2 agt

agt

Playboy Mansion ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,534 posts
  • LocationWhitehaven

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

Really like Jacks version of Love Is Blindness, it's a testament to how well the song is written and how easy it can become another artists song.

Edited by agt, 10 May 2013 - 08:57 PM.

We Win, We Lose, It's Perfect! 

#3 tan_lejos_tan_cerca

tan_lejos_tan_cerca

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 2,163 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Cool  :)

#4 electricco

electricco

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 10,152 posts
  • Location44.833 44° 49'N -0.567 0° 34'W

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

I was nice to hear the cover of "Love Is Blindness" while watching the 'Great Gatsby' ad (last december before the Hobbit).

edgesep.2014

#5 Anjana

Anjana

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 18,006 posts
  • Locationla la land (this is where you can reach me now;)

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

It's a blinder of a song (no pun intended). The genius that is Mr The Edge :wub:

U2-SOI-4d-small_zpsdef94624.gif

#6 Sunflower1mdp

Sunflower1mdp

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,715 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

I think Jack's version is INCREDIBLE!  It's so raw and powerful and he really made it his own.