Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Will Vids Post At All U2.com Areas?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alma1

Alma1

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,652 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

Testing a theory here. 2 different fanvids for 'Drowning Man.' When I put 1 at u2.com recently it appeared right here at u2.com. The other only appeared as a link to a vid that u had to see over at YouTube. I'm thinking maybe it depends on how different videos are created &/or posted over at YouTube to begin with. (?)

In PM at u2.com, the 1st video below appeared at u2.com just fine but the 2nd would only appear as a link & clicking on it would take u to YouTube to see it. Then in the Subscriber area (the New Zoo questions area there), they both posted just fine as videos at u2.com. So...let's see how this goes here:

U2 Drowning man : Irlande thème

CITY OF ANGELS - Drowning Man (U2)

#2 Alma1

Alma1

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,652 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

So...in kiss_the_sky's original post asking the original question about posting YouTube vids at u2.com - & also in PM - the 2nd video above would not appear (except as a link to see it externally). But in the New Zoo areas of both the Subscriber & Free forums the 2nd video appears just fine. Well, I'm glad there are at least some places at u2.com that videos seem to always appear, but would like to know if there's a way to make them appear the other places mentioned, too.

Anyone in possession of such remarkable wisdom, by all means feel free to share. :)

#3 Alma1

Alma1

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,652 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

kiss_the_sky: You asked again today “So the key question would seem to be how do I post youtube vids?” I'm trying to help u w/this (since it seems like u're being ignored by the zoo on this), so here's a run-down that's more detailed than above:

Yesterday, I sent a question into the tech hobbit area of the universe. I’ll let u know when I get an answer.

I also did my own testing. I copied 2 different URLs/web-addresses: they were for 2 different fanvids of the same u2 song.  Then I simply pasted both into different areas of u2.com to see if both showed up where I put them. Well, at the Subscriber area under ‘The New Zoo’ & at the Free area at ‘Zoo Feedback’ they both showed up fine. They also showed up fine where I created a new post, which currently shows under ‘recent topics’: Will Vids Post At All U2.com Areas?

Where I had a problem was in PM - & also in the post you yourself created about posting YouTube videos. The thing is, the 1st video still showed up fine in both of those places – u could view it right there u2.com where it was placed. But the 2nd video – despite showing up fine elsewhere on u2.com - would only appear as a link in those places, taking you to YouTube to watch the video when u clicked on it, which is not what I wanted. That made me wonder if it generally depends on what area you’re in at the time on u2.com. In other words, do some areas have a different software program or version – are some areas more glitchy than others?

Xtraspicy did a couple of tests, too. She found that if u “entered it as a hypertext link” – in other words “by clicking on the chain link (icon) above (in the tool area) and entering the url...it will only post” as a link. She also wondered if there's a difference between results from copying a url from the top of the screen (at the address bar) & copying it from the area underneath YouTube videos. Her question has me wondering too, but I haven't had a chance to test it.

So is copying & pasting the url / web-address the way u normally try to post a video, kiss_the_sky?

I also found a zoo member’s explanation (from a past year) of how to post a video, & I made a copy of that explanation to keep, but it was complicated & there was part of it I didn’t understand - plus the info might be old since the zoo has changed since then. I wound up thinking 'why isn’t it just simple like it has almost always been' – at least for me. I’ve almost always been able to post a vid just by copying the url from the address bar & simply pasting that address wherever I wanted it to appear. Were u able to post vids in that simple way in the past?

Edited by Alma1, 30 July 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#4 Max Tsukino

Max Tsukino

Lemon ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 8,017 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

Some videos in YouTube still produce the old embed code...

<div style="text-align: center; margin: auto"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:500px; height:410px;" data="http://www.youtube.c...sion=3&#38;fs=1">
        <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...sion=3&#38;fs=1" />
        <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
        <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" />
        </object><div style="font-size: 0.8em"><a href="http://www.tools4noo.../youtube_xhtml/">Get your own valid XHTML YouTube embed code</a></div></div>

but most of them make the new iframe embed code...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/12d-5Azr6PI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

to be clear:

DO NOT USE ANY ONE OF THESE CODES TO POST A VIDEO IN ZOOTOPIA. THEY WON'T WORK.

To post a video ---> simply copy and paste it's URL... the video address from YouTube:

(minus the spaces)

in the video, go to the part where it says SHARE THIS VIDEO

or

go to the address bar in your web browser and copy it...

paste the code in your message and hit enter... you will get the video...

just that... =)

uf_clique.gif

#5 Alma1

Alma1

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,652 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

Thanks so much Max. Where u said "go to the address bar in your web browser and copy it...paste the code in your message..." - by 'code' here, I'm taking u to mean simply the web address / url from the address bar (at top of the screen). Right?

If so, that's what I always do, so I'm glad to hear that's the way to go - nice & simple. But since this is already what I do, it's why I wondered this:

"Where I had a problem was in PM - & also in the post (kiss_the_sky) created about posting YouTube videos. The thing is, the 1st video still showed up fine in both of those places – u could view it right there in u2.com where it was placed. But the 2nd video – despite showing up fine elsewhere on u2.com - would only appear as a link in those places, taking you to YouTube to watch the video when u clicked on it, which is not what I wanted. That made me wonder if it generally depends on what area you’re in at the time on u2.com. In other words, do some areas (of u2.com) have a different software program or version – are some areas more glitchy than others?"

One other thing: I didn't understand what u meant when u said "(minus the spaces)" - whenever I've copied a web address from the address bar, I've never had to do anything regarding spaces.

#6 Max Tsukino

Max Tsukino

Lemon ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 8,017 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

nope... it should work the same in every area from zootopia... there isn't any difference - is the same forum, after all...

yes - the URL. That should do the trick...

minus the spaces: if I paste the URL, it would post the video - i needed to post the text, hence the spaces...

uf_clique.gif

#7 Alma1

Alma1

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,652 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

Got it. Thanks Max! And kiss_the_sky is all squared away, too. :)