Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Joshua Tree And Me (30th Anniversary Upcoming)

#U2TheJoshuaTree2017 u2com

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#21 thejanes7

thejanes7

Numb ✪

• 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

Really appreciated this this post. Says it all really. The defining record of my life too and the reason I am in a band still (!) Thanks Big Wave, hopefully see you out on the road. Scott (from December)

#22 mich40

mich40

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 12,603 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:47 PM

The Joshua Tree was a turning point in my life as a U2 fan. I had really liked them a lot up to this point and their performance at Live Aid blew me away. It didn't hurt that my band that I LOVED at that point (Duran Duran) was in a transition phase and it was questionable if they were still going to be around much longer. I can't say that I remember the first time I heard "With or Without You" on the radio and we didn't have MTV at that point anymore, but I do remember loving it when I heard it and wanting the hear the whole album.

The Joshua Tree album came out about a month before my 16th birthday. I didn't have much money at the time and ended up getting one of those cheap $2 knock off cassettes until I could buy the vinyl (which I ended up buying twice because I wore the first one out). I remember days of sitting at my house or my best friend's house, listening to it over and over. And later the next year, with a little new found freedom of getting to drive around, windows open, volume turned up, singing it at the top of my lungs. We would drive around just to hear the whole album.

Unfortunately, the closest the tour came to me was Atlanta and I wasn't able to go. Needless to say, when Rattle and Hum came out the next year, I was quite happy to "see" them in concert. I will never forget working at a movie theater at the time and getting to see the trailer for the first time. The red screen and the beginning notes of Streets sent chills down my spine. Then, or course, the whole film is where my heart got fully stolen. After that, my friend and I went out searching for things we had missed, like the singles with the b-side songs. That turned into collecting whatever I could find about them and falling madly in love with them.

Edited by mich40, 06 January 2017 - 11:50 PM.

Posted Image

#23 JeffMacchi

JeffMacchi

Babyface ✪✪

• 41 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:37 PM

this is what I've heard/read elsewhere:

May 12 - Vancouver
May 20, 21 - LA (Pasadena) Rose Bowl
June 3 - Chicago Soldier Field
June 24, 25 - NYC (technically NJ) Met Life Stadium

Other dates would be in Cleveland, Toronto, Boston (Foxboro), Philly, Washington DC, San Francisco, Seattle.

Another rumor about them using the original staging from the Joshua Tree tour

#24 joshthetree

joshthetree

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,256 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:34 AM

Here's the desert movie from the 20th anniversary boxset ... wonder if there will be something new released for 30?

Edited by joshthetree, 08 January 2017 - 08:59 AM.

fact is fiction and TV reality

#25 drunkchicken1

drunkchicken1

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 269 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:36 AM

Well well, check this out - the most convincing bit of evidence yet that a Rose Bowl show with Lumineers as support will happen..... Courtesy of those lovely folks atU2.com....

http://www.atu2.com/

#26 joshthetree

joshthetree

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,256 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

Well well, check this out - the most convincing bit of evidence yet that a Rose Bowl show with Lumineers as support will happen..... Courtesy of those lovely folks atU2.com....
http://www.atu2.com/

Interesting thanks for posting. Could have got the photo right ... doesnt look like zabriskie point in death valley to me

Hope the next tour just isnt going to be joshua tree and u2 turn into a tribute act. What about songs of experience?

Edited by joshthetree, 08 January 2017 - 09:06 AM.

fact is fiction and TV reality

#27 drunkchicken1

drunkchicken1

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 269 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:07 AM

No worries, spotted it on Instagram..... liking the reshoot of the album cover

#28 mich40

mich40

• 12,603 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:35 PM

Please keep tour rumours over here------> http://zootopia.u2.c...17-tour-merged/

This thread is about what The Joshua Tree album has meant to you.

Posted Image

#29 mich40

mich40

• 12,603 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

This relates back to my post about what the Joshua Tree means to me.  Last night I dug these out to listen to because this is how I would have listened to them back then.

15965344_10210606593895586_9020056362584

Not only did the album blow me away, but I absolutely love the b-side songs from then, especially "Luminous Times" and "Walk to the Water'.  Those were like little nuggets of gold to me.  If an album could've only had 3 sides.... I did get amused last night, as I played each one and flipped them from side A to side B, I had to keep switching from 45rpm to 33 1/3 because every b-side had two songs. 

Posted Image

#30 nitz1

nitz1

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 446 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

Great thoughts - Thanks Big Wave and Mich40 - War began my love of U2 - and so it goes-- Only saw the band first in 1997 though - but many many times since!

#31 edbe72

edbe72

Numb ✪

• 14 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

on June 17 it's for me 30 years go for the first U2 concert.....Cologne

#32 Andorpouw

Andorpouw

Numb ✪

• 16 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:08 AM

For me, this album is the year Zero for me...its all about before and after the Joshua Tree. This album changed my life, remember how big the band was this time..bigger then life.

#33 Shannon387

Shannon387

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,731 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

Yes! Saw the announcement! Can't wait!

#34 jimmymac7668

jimmymac7668

Numb ✪

• 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

Thought I'd start a thread with your Joshua Tree ticket stubs and memories.

15873349_10155615090298448_5822380465487

Edited by jimmymac7668, 09 January 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#35 vimequin

vimequin

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

I was in Madrid at 1987, seeing an U2 unforgettable concert, with 'BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE', 'UB40' and 'PRETENDERS',

After 30 years, U2 play it again 'THE JOSHUA TREE', '''' INCREDIBLE AND MARVELLOUS '''' 

I will be in Barcelona... i hope....

:rolleyes: 

#36 c_1000

c_1000

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:34 AM

It means the world to me.

This was my first U2 live experience. In Gothenburg, Sweden. At Eriksberg Shipyard. It stands as a defining and monumental experience of my early youth.

I can still see the band entering the stage. I can still hear the beautiful sound filling the air and the spave between all of us. Like a massive wave coming in from sea. Taking me floating away and filling me with hope for life to come.

Right there. Nothing less. On a warm summer Saturday night.

Going home to DK in the night the ferry docked just behind the stage and it carried us slowly through the night and home across the water. To a life that was never the same again. As I had gotten a new point of reference musically and for what it feels to be alive.

I guess I have 10 albums that I have listened to all my life. The Joshua Tree is one of these 10.

So.

It means a lot to me.     

#37 bobish

bobish

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

I ‘d just turned 15 when U2 brought The Joshua Tree to Croke Park in June ’87. Bought a ticket for a girl I was seeing at the time but she wasn’t allowed go! Went on the Saturday with my sister and her friend, flagons on the pitch, The Pogues, The Dubliners, culchies and craic. It was epic! What a great couple of nights. I was working collecting glasses in Gibneys in Malahide at the time and one night in the days after the shows, it may actually have been the night of the Sunday gig, I was wearing my lovely white Joshua Tree Tour t-shirt, by the end of the night it was destroyed by beer stains, maps of the world imprinted by Guinness spilt all over it. Anyway we’re all sitting around in the bar after cleaning up and there’s a knock on the door. In walk the lads, I was mortified by the state of my t-shirt but sat awestruck as they enter like returning heroes. Adam pauses as he passes me, points and says ‘cool t-shirt man’. I wish I still had the shirt but the memory will stay forever. Can’t believe its thirty years and can’t wait for July’s homecoming. T-shirt and ticket stub, along with the girl, are long gone but the memory will last forever.

#38 stateless_uk

stateless_uk

Babyface ✪✪

• 36 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

my first ever U2 and first ever gig so i hope that its not the last tour.

i went to sunny scotland Edinbrough and loved it. great set list and the start of my U2 journey.

Since then i have been on every tour and loved it i started 2 years ago a group to help fellow fans not get ripped off by touts.

really looking forward to 2017

Berlin

London

Barcelona

Dublin

U2FT.com

see you there

#39 gmjanssen

gmjanssen

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

I remember I had this cassette and a Sony Walkman when I went off the basic training in the Army. That was taken away for the first 8 weeks and I was put through hell. I remember getting my Walkman back and literally wearing the cassette out listening to Joshua Tree. It was the only thing that brought me back to life after that 8 week experience. I have no words. I never got to see U2 until last year in Berlin so I am beyond excited to see them play this album in its entirety. It is a dream come true! 

#40 JohntheBaptist

JohntheBaptist

Babyface ✪✪

• 36 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:38 PM

For me the Joshua Tree was a special moment in my life. I was thrilled to listen to these completely new songs for me. I didn't understand not completely the meaning of the lyrics, but was deeply touched by the music. It helped me crying, mourning and to celebrate. After that album my journey with U2 started and I'm still learning about this album. For example: when I heard 'Bullet the Blue Sky' during the I & E tour in Amsterdam, I really was touched much deeper then before when I heard it. That album is a part of my life and from time to time a song pops up in my memory (or on my Phone:-)).  

It's like a dream comes through that U2 will perform the whole album this year! Special moment for a special band in my heart.