Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Joshua Tree And Me (30th Anniversary Upcoming)

#U2TheJoshuaTree2017 u2com

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#41 macharava

macharava

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

I remember taking my parents out for a meal with my first pay cheque to a posh hotel in Edinburgh and met the band. They invited me to join them and I sat and enjoyed the chat until 3 in the morning when a burly man presented me with tickets for the show next day at Murrayfield. It's definitely my favourite album and can't wait to relive it. It was a life changing experience for me. Can't believe it was 30 years ago though.

#42 bbagwell

bbagwell

Numb ✪

• 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:17 PM

I saw my first U2 show at the Olympiahalle in Munich on July 21,1987.  Such a great show and memorable night.  Planning to take my wife and three kids to Miami to share in the magic.  What a wonderful gift this is for all of us.

#43 ourmaninbananas

ourmaninbananas

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 72 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:14 PM

Here's my JTT story:

I went on a coach tour to  Dun laoghaire and stayed in a hotel there before the Saturday night Croke Park concert...

In the morning, went to Bono's house (that martello Tower), waled up to the door, and yes, he was in...

So I had a little back and forth with one of his family members (you know the type of thing

I was at Milton Keynes The Longest Day in June 1985, and Bono said Next time you're in Dublin, you can ask for me, and I'm in Dublin, AND I'M ASKING FOR BONO

(I should mention that I was just turned 18, and shouldn't have been let out of the house yet)

and yes, Bono came out and said hi, but I was so scared I couldn't tell him it was my birthday ....the gig  was great tho

the Joshua Tree Tour was chronicled on ITV's World In Action  weekly news magazine here in the UK...

it's on YouTube...

Edited by ourmaninbananas, 09 January 2017 - 04:22 PM.

#44 GlennAston

GlennAston

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

When I heard about this upcoming tour I immediately got out the Joshua Tree album and played it again and again; such a fantastic collection of songs bringing back awesome cherished memories of the concert at Wembley Stadium!!

Can't wait to get some tickets for the Twickenham concert; hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for!

#45 Suzanne5

Suzanne5

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

Most exciting year ever! I can't wait !!!! I'm screaming and Dancing!! With or without you ! Will no longer be without you !!! ❤❤❤❤❤❤

#46 lostatc

lostatc

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

I was in my first year of college when Joshua Tree came out and I was dating the man who was to become my husband. All day, every day this album was blaring out of large speakers in rooms throughout the dorms. It was all we listened to. This will always be my favorite album of all time.

We can't wait to go!

#47 kiss_the_sky

kiss_the_sky

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 255 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

people get ready. hmm. Could we be so fortunate to see it this time around?

#48 sandfields

sandfields

Numb ✪

• 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:05 PM

I was 15 when this album was released just about to leave school and hearing the opening to Where the Streets Have No Name has taken me on a musical journey unsurpassed by anyone since, and to me Its still  the greatest album ever released

#49 stevescouse

stevescouse

Numb ✪

• 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

First gig, just 18, Wembley Stadium 1987, the Pogues & Lou Reed too ... now we come full circle, only been a 30 year journey!

Always wanted to hear One Tree Hill live - at least we got it on U22 (well done voters!) Next up - Exit :)

#50 Max Tsukino

Max Tsukino

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 14,842 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

JT30_Sig_zpsnfxq5kfz.jpg

#51 bigwave

bigwave

Lemon ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 8,980 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:00 PM

a great read curtesy of @stoxo 

So it is 30 years ago, in March, since U2 released Joshua Tree and took over the world. Today they announced that in celebration of the anniversary they are going to take that iconic album and play it in full. The Joshua Tree Tour... again.

It seems that the band feel it is a relevant cycle of songs for the state of the world 30 years on. It seems that the current state of the world after Trump's election has made them rethink their Songs Of Experience record that was due this year. The stop gap, to maybe help them inspire themselves to finish the album, gives them an opportunity to follow Bruce Springsteen's model of playing an entire record live; Springsteen's The River to U2's Joshua Tree. As long as Songs Of Experience comes soon and is a brilliant album fans will forgive a glorifying of the past. It was not what we expected, or wanted but it might be fun!

read it in full :

http://stocki.typepa...-in-celebr.html

#52 Max Tsukino

Max Tsukino

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 14,842 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:02 PM

JT30_Sig_zpsnfxq5kfz.jpg

#53 tommy_foltz

tommy_foltz

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

I lost my son Wil in March 2014 and had October played at his funeral.  A friend of mine works for the One Campaign and asked Bono to write me a note.  He did.

A year later, I wrote him back and told him that I would be at the May 23rd, 2015 show in Phoenix.  Long story short, my girlfriend and I got about 10 minutes alone with him in a holding room before the show.  

Our all access pass (which we got for free) got us into the Red Zone.  At least two hours later as the show was wrapping up, the band played Where the Streets have no name.  As they were in the outro, he looked in our direction and shouted into the mic,

"This is for Tommy and Wil!  There is no end to love!  Tommy!!!"

Of 20,000 people in the arena, there may have been five of us who knew what he was talking about.

In fact, my girlfriend and I were so shocked we weren't sure it happened until we verified it by watching it on YouTube the next day.  It was an absolutely incredible act of kindness to lift the spirits of someone who is still in pain today, but worse pain then.

I can't wait to hear the band play Streets again this Summer on this tour.  I've heard that Bono, Bill Clinton and the Pope are the three most recognizable people in the world.  It's amazing that he is as thoughtful as he is.  I don't say this often, but I am truly blessed to have had the chance to spend just 10 minutes in conversation with him.  Just 3 of us, directly before the band took the stage.  Unbelievable!  

#54 chrissy1967

chrissy1967

Numb ✪

• 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:16 AM

TJT was released on my birthday...while it hits the 30 year mark, I'll be hitting the 50 mark! What a great way to celebrate!! 

#55 73herman

73herman

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:34 AM

It's been 30 years,i was 14 yrs old.When my eyes struck for the a cassette displayed in a an audio store in my homwtown Medan City,Indonesia.That cover really hit the bottom of my heart. It was clear that my heart keep telling me that "THIS IS A SUPER ALBUM". THE JOSHUE TREE is the first rock album i ever bought. "Where The Streets Have No Name" a fast guitar playing, drums and bass playing but the lyric reall touch the bottom of my heart "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" an optimism in the middle of stranded situation and  "With or Without You" really breaks  my heart. Those are defenitly on my personal GREATEST ROCK SINGLES.

#56 housinghomelessjess

housinghomelessjess

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:38 AM

I was 14 and driving through Joshua Tree State Park on our way to LA. I asked my dad to put it on the stereo.  He obliged. 

A year later the camp counselor played a few songs from TJT around the camp fire.  Best camp ever. 

It became the soundtrack of my youth. Got me through the hard years. 

29 years later doing family research I found out I am a whole lot of Irish. I guess in some silly way I feel a connection to my roots through the band.

It just made sense. I am a social justice warrior. Not self proclaimed (comes from my co-workers), but I work in the business of fighting social oppression. 

I believe it comes from the influence of my roots and TJT. Like it is part of my DNA. 

Thank you for the highs and lows. Thank you for helping me not give up when it gets hard. Thank you for the coping skills of just stepping back and letting it ride when I feel saturated by others trauma. Thank you for the best.

My Joshua Tree story. 

#57 angelofharlem4u2

angelofharlem4u2

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 290 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:48 AM

Wonderful stories.  I had been a fan since seeing the video "Gloria" several years prior, but The Joshua Tree was my first U2 tour.  I waited for hours with my sister at a ticket outlet store on 66th street in Manhattan.  We must have waited for ten hours, because the shows sold out, and more shows were added.  We were cold, tired and hungry, had full bladders, but remained committed (and hopeful) of purchasing tickets.  The ticket outlet vendor was overwhelmed by the number of people who showed up, as well as the process of distributing tickets.  

After ten hours, it was finally my turn, and I purchased tickets to see U2 at MSG in New York and NJ.  I was SO HAPPY!  By the way, my tickets were $19.00 US dollars!  My fondest memory was U2 performing "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" with the New Voices of Freedom choir.  It was breathtaking!  This was the best version of this song that I've ever heard.

I feel blessed to have experienced their music live for so long.  

Lady Day Got Diamond Eyes...

#58 Grande 3:16

Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 434 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:08 AM

I don't really have much of a story.

It would have been around March/early April 1993 in the early days of my fandom, I had bought Rattle & Hum on tape a few weeks before and Achtung Baby maybe 6 months before that. A mate at school copied his brother's Joshua Tree CD onto a cassette tape for me. I played it when I got home, and when "With Or Without You" started I thought "Isn't that the song from Bill & Ted?"

A few weeks later (the weekend of April 25th actually) I spent the weekend at my best friends place, who was also on his way to being a huge fan (although not anymore). Although there was some 16-bit gaming and movies, a majority of it was a U2 weekend. We watched the Philips DCC ZooTV special that I had recorded off TV a few months earlier and the Rattle & Hum movie (which my mate had recently bought on VHS), walked the streets singing U2 songs, listened to Under A Blood Red Sky (which I had scored on cassette at a swap meet the previous weekend), Achtung Baby, Rattle & Hum, and The Joshua Tree.

Like I said, not much of a story. No concerts or meeting the band or anything exciting. Listening to The Joshua Tree just makes me think of that weekend with my best friend.

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#59 heartland1990

heartland1990

Numb ✪

• 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

Being 26 years old, I wasn’t fortunate enough to be around for TJT’s release, but I discovered shortly after turning 11 and hearing U2 (Beatiful Day) on some music channel.  My father had a cassette hanging around – he’d probably played it once since buying it in 1987!

It was an album that changed my life, musically.  While not my favourite album from U2’s back catalogue, hearing TJT for the first time exposed me to something deeper than mainstream music at the time.  It was the soundtrack to my early teens.  Hearing “Still Haven’t Found…” made me want to pick up a guitar. Hearing “Red Hill…” made me want to pursue singing.

A real seminal moment for music in 1987, and for me in 2001.

-First post on the forums (wahey!!)

#60 RICHARDGARCIA

RICHARDGARCIA

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

My first BIG concert as a wide eyed 18 year old kid. Arrived at my local record shop (before the age of the web) before it opened to make sure I got my 2 tickets for Leeds - Elland Road.

30 years have now flown by. I've been fortunate enough to of seen most of the modern day greats, and it's true what they say - you never forget your first time.

The thought of the intro to 'Where the Streets have no name' still makes the now greying hairs on the back of my neck stand up and my eyes glaze over - unforgettable.

With a bit of luck I'll snap up 4 tickets for London and hopefully give my family a glimpse of true brilliance & emotion.