Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Joshua Tree And Me (30th Anniversary Upcoming)

#U2TheJoshuaTree2017 u2com

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#61 lee_walster

lee_walster

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

In 1987 a new medium for listening to music was introduced to me. It was called a "Compact Disk." The very first CD that I purchased was "The Joshua Tree" and I still have it!

Very excited to see them perform on the West Coast (Seattle).

#62 chrismillerbnc

chrismillerbnc

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:06 PM

Simply it's when I came of age! As did the Band in my opinion!

#63 wnklkm

wnklkm

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

30 years ago, and my Husband and I were seniors in HS. I heard the announcement break on the radio during one of our school lunch breaks that U2 would be coming back to Arizona to play at Sun Devil Stadium. ( I was fortunate enough to have been able to see them in concert at a smaller venue on the ASU campus when their JT Tour had just begun. We had ended up with nose-bleed seats for that first concert, but I'm a huge U2 fan, and didn't care, loved every minute of it!...Now they were coming back and the tickets were only $10!!! I thought for sure that I'd heard the announcement wrong, but ..U2 wanted to have the whole stadium filled because they would be filming for their 'Rattle and Hum' movie.  I remember being SO excited to tell my friends about what I'd just heard!! Later that week, I was able to go w/ a friend and wait all night in a lottery line at Dillard's Box office, and was able to buy almost a whole row of seats for a group of us from school. As the concert drew near, we could actually see the lights from the stadium from our school bus windows as concert preparations were being made, early in the mornings while we were headed off to school. I remember the emotions that I felt while looking out the bus window, and being so happy that I was going to see U2 w/ my friends! This was our senior year, and every time I heard U2 on the radio in my car, or on a cassette in my room, their music, their message, Bono's voice would fill my heart and soul, and while I sang each one of their songs at the top of my lungs, I felt that anything was possible, the world was full of possibilities and hope.... and our concert seats were going to be only about 5 rows away from the stage!!!

​A night of U2 and B.B. King....it was an amazing, words can not express how awesome, concert!!! Because I'm pretty short, when everyone stood up, I couldn't see much of U2 themselves, and my friend and I kept trying to stand on our seats to get a better view, but security would come by to tell everyone to stay off of the seats. Even though I couldn't see much, the speakers were directly in front of us, and the sound just completely enveloped us! Many people were wearing Santa hats, everyone was singing and happy, we were all 'One'!!....My husband of today was one of my friends in our group that evening, and now, we have been married for 25 years​!! U2's incredible music has been with us throughout all these years, and uplifted me while my Husband was away in the Army before we were married, and through all of the ups and downs of life since.

​In May of 2015, I was able to share my love of U2 with our oldest daughter and her boyfriend, and we traveled from the Seattle area to Vancouver, BC to see them kick off their Innocence and Experience Tour. We were all sad as we had just recently heard of B.B. King's passing. I knew in my heart that Bono would honor him in some way that night.  We had nose-bleed seats once again, but the excitement and joy that I felt was that same feeling from back in HS, and I was so happy to share their incredible music with my daughter and her friend, a new generation soon to be graduating from HS as well!  ​I am so looking forward to the JT Tour 2017, and hopeful that I can get good seats! Hopeful that my oldest daughter, who is now serving in the USAF, can come home on leave, and we can all see U2 together, celebrating our 25 years, and U2's 30 year anniversary of Joshua Tree!!

​Thank you for allowing me to share our story!

#64 jimmymac7668

jimmymac7668

Numb ✪

• 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

Got my 4 for Croke Park, almost 30 years to the day :)

#65 haracher1

haracher1

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

Does anyone know if there will be another tour after this one for the new album coming out?

#66 Max Tsukino

Max Tsukino

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 14,842 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

Does anyone know if there will be another tour after this one for the new album coming out?

Nothing official at the moment...

JT30_Sig_zpsnfxq5kfz.jpg

#67 icedcornholio

icedcornholio

Numb ✪

• 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

I was in high school and it was the first big U2 album I remember going all in on. I knew War/Unforgettable but just a few songs. When WoWY came out, that was the cassette I had to have. I played it until it warped. I joined Columbia House for the umpteenth time get every U2 cassette.  I tried to beg borrow and steal to go to that tour, but I was under 18 and there wasn't the internets and I didn't know when / where they went on sale and there were very few ticketmaster outlets..and I wasn't in the club.

I didn't join Propaganda until right around Achtung - so I had to sit in the nose bleeds for the indoor ZooTV show but the outdoor one was completely awesome. Primus and The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy opened for them. It was awesome. Than again at the indoor ZooTV show an up and coming band called the Pixies opened, that was pretty good too...

The sad part is I went around the office saying "U2 Joshua Tree presale today!!" and the people around me 1) were not U2 fans, 2) didn't know what the Joshua Tree was...and I'm like oh yeah, you weren't alive 30 years ago. I'm old now. Sad!

#68 HansasHeroes1991

HansasHeroes1991

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 168 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:31 PM

u2tapecollector, that is a MIGHTY U2 collection!

Very, very impressive!

Waves of regret, waves of joy, I reached out for the one I tried to destroy...

#69 padrepio

padrepio

Numb ✪

• 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

a new single to accompany the new tour you say?

#70 JCF

JCF

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 227 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

Bigwave, I finally got to sit down and read through your whole post rather than skimming bits and pieces. Thanks for writing and sharing it. It's beautifully written and so true, for you and for so many others like myself.  I was only 13 when TJT came out but oh my goodness, the hours upon hours I spent placing the needle on that record and then diving into that landscape.  Listening to TJT was not background music, it was a full-body, full-soul EXPERIENCE each time. Definitely stamped on my soul, interwoven with my time of waking up to political awareness, to spiritual longing.  I can't wait to see this tour.  

#71 Dustygirl

Dustygirl

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:50 AM

I finally joined this site because of this thread. Three major things hit me at the same time.

1. I turned 50 last month, and at that time I discovered:
2. The Joshua Tree is going to be 30.
3. The Joshua Tree takes me back to the most pivotal, most loved, happiest time of my life.

I became a fan of U2 in 1982 when I was in 10th grade. I had Boy and October in High school...War in 11th grade/senior year of high school. Off to college in 1984 to The Unforgettable Fire. What a gift U2 gave me.

I graduated college in 1986. Then, when The Joshua Tree came out I was working in corporate America and dating my soon to be husband. I was 21 years old. I was studying photography part time while working full-time. I was young, thin, creative, talented, even ran a 5k. I then married and moved away to a very rural area...where literally the streets had no name. It was a new, exciting world. There were very few road signs... giving directions would be like: turn left at the yellow barn...go two miles, turn right at the church. It was heaven. We were young. It was truly God's Country. And Joshua Tree was the soundtrack for years. This was the happiest time of my life...and a few years later, after achtung baby and when zooropa was released my son was born.

My son is now 21 years old. My favorite person in the world. My husband left us long ago. For Christmas this year my boyfriend (a wonderful man) bought me an iPod and my son helped me set up an iTunes account. I copied 16 u2 cds onto that iPod. (Yes I'm way behind when it comes to technology). My son gave me a thingamajig so I can play my iPod in my car, through the speakers. Awesome.

I adore The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum. I had a vhs copy of the Rattle and Hum movie but managed to find a nice dvd of it a few weeks ago. Evey time I watch it I bawl my eyes out when With or Without You comes on. My boyfriend just says "it reminds you of everything doesn't it". Yes.

It's hard sometimes when an album is so capable of transporting you back to "another time and another place". Time truly does march on...I just can't believe it's been thirty years. Still the best music I've ever heard.

#72 504jumper

504jumper

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 60 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:44 PM

I wrote a few posts called When I Became a Fan (parts I, II & III) on my blog site about this landmark album last summer.  It was an album that came at just the right time for me.  It was a tough time in my life and that is why it has such a special place in my heart.  What a fanatic record it was--and still is.

It's a little too long to write here, but suffice it to say I was high school kid struggling with the loss of a parent.  TJT spoke to me in a way that I never would have expected.  I didn't even like rock music before it.  Man, did it change me.

Please check it out, if you are so inclined.   :)  Thanks!

https://achtungninja.wordpress.com/

AchtungNinja.com

#73 Alliejo43

Alliejo43

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:21 PM

For me, it was the moment I became a real U2 fan. I was just 14 years old and bought the album from Woolworths with my birthday money. I had heard of u2, but didn't take much notice at that age. I loved listbut to this day I didn't know what drew me to buy it. I didn't even know what I was going to spend my money on! I'd never bought music before, ever. My mum tried to talk me out of it but I just had to have it.
From that day on, I played it over and over and over. Every time I hear it it takes me right back in an instant. I have the album in my car and play it often. My 8 and 10 year old girls know U2 very well and sing along with me. I even have a U2 bumper sticker on the back of my car which my friends mock me for. That album changed the way I listened to music. It changed the way I felt about life. After learning more about the band, It tought me that music is what feelings sound like. I have a different emotions for each of the tracks on that album and each time I listen to it it's like the first time all over again. Simple as that x