• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Ender

Ender

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 54 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

I'm of course excited for U2 to be doing something this year but I'm rather bummed by what it is they intend to do, even if it's the Joshua Tree. While I completely get it from a commercial standpoint (JT was HUGE) I was really hoping for some kind of POP retrospective - maybe actually "finishing" the album. I feel like the sounds and the imagery actually fit better today than it did back in 1997. It bums me out that when U2 gets backward looking (which they claim they never do) they seem to gloss over everything from 1993-1997. That was my favorite period! And they already did something with the Joshua Tree.

On top of that, how is this going to coincide with the release/promotion of SOE? Are they not doing a tour in support of that? I'm really confused.

Nashville indietronica artist. Husband. Father. Dreamer. SUCCESS is not a bad word - it's the BEST word. The only thing to fear is not pursuing your dreams.

#2 mich40

mich40

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 12,571 posts
  • LocationOff in LaLa Land

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

This might help you understand it a little more.  http://www.rollingst...ee-tour-w459473

Posted Image

#3 kwaite

kwaite

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 259 posts
  • LocationThe CLE

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

^^ Rolling Stone 

they've already said that SOE isn't coming out till fall (winter?) 2017, which likely means 2018 and SOE tour 2018- this transitions from SOI to SOE.  JT was arguably the last of innocence went they chopped it down to experience.   Also wouldn't be surprised if LiveNation said they needed to fulfill touring requirement and this does that as well. 

What 2016 taught me is that if you have a chance to see your favorite band (artist) play/perform- do it!  They (and us) aren't getting any younger.  

#4 Ender

Ender

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 54 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

Valid points. Just kind of a bummer is all.

Also I was really thinking SOE was coming this spring.

Nashville indietronica artist. Husband. Father. Dreamer. SUCCESS is not a bad word - it's the BEST word. The only thing to fear is not pursuing your dreams.

#5 voicefromdc

voicefromdc

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 191 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:07 AM

*skips by singing...

There's a Tour Coming!

There's a Tour Coming!!

:rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Edited by voicefromdc, 10 January 2017 - 12:07 AM.

#6 Grande 3:16

Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 403 posts
  • LocationWhere The Streets Have No Name (Perth, Western Australia)

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:12 AM

I'm annoyed that Pop seems to be getting snubbed. Granted the album isn't quite as ground breaking as TJT was back in the '80s, but far more so than the albums that followed it.

We're so embarrassed about Pop here's Beautiful Day for the billionth time!

I consider 1987-1997 to be their golden era, so both albums fit into that window. There's great stuff either side of it, but that's their most solid work imo.

Edited by Grande 3:16, 10 January 2017 - 02:15 AM.

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#7 blur991

blur991

Numb ✪

• 17 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:42 PM

Indeed and agree. All I've read shows that's this seems to be a "brilliant" idea for concert requirements and livenation. Some of you may remember the Days of "evil Ticketmaster" and this smells the same.

U2 / apple / livenation / some new platform and that is being tied to SOI it all mends together to mean more revenue for livenation in the days of artists not making as much. U2 is a cash cow.

POP isn't an Interest generator to the "casual" fan and added In with zooropa most would be like WTH. A smallish venue gig to celebrate those two albums would only satisfy a very small group of hardcore fans, myself included.

So alas, we are stuck dreaming of the impossible, but hey at least we are dreaming out loud.

Edited by blur991, 10 January 2017 - 05:43 PM.

#8 yardie

yardie

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,871 posts
  • LocationCo.Antrim, Northern Ireland

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:54 PM

Hope we get a bit of Silver and Gold, Sweetest Thing & Spanish Eyes etc thrown in. Like if they just do JT, IT'LL BE A FAIRLY SHORT GIG!  ;)

#9 Ender

Ender

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 54 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:05 PM

Indeed and agree. All I've read shows that's this seems to be a "brilliant" idea for concert requirements and livenation. Some of you may remember the Days of "evil Ticketmaster" and this smells the same.

U2 / apple / livenation / some new platform and that is being tied to SOI it all mends together to mean more revenue for livenation in the days of artists not making as much. U2 is a cash cow.

POP isn't an Interest generator to the "casual" fan and added In with zooropa most would be like WTH. A smallish venue gig to celebrate those two albums would only satisfy a very small group of hardcore fans, myself included.

So alas, we are stuck dreaming of the impossible, but hey at least we are dreaming out loud.

I do totally agree with this from the business standpoint. As in, looking at it from a money-making business sense a JT tour would certainly make more money than, say, a POP tour. But, I'm not arguing for THAT. I guess I'm just disappointed that instead of a remaster and reissue of POP we're getting a second JT tour, and a third (fourth if you count the best of) retrospective of the JT era. Why not chuck a POP reissue out to fans? They did it with October!

#10 Amrit

Amrit

Numb ✪

• 15 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

Whilst I am happy to see the band on tour again, I feel it is not right to tour the Joshua Tree. The band has made promise after promise regarding SOE and now it is likely they'll have a creative streak in 2017 and postpone SOE until 2018 or beyond.  It is better to under promise and over deliver - U2 please take note.

They need to complete SOE fully and then consider touring with the Joshua Tree. 

Whilst being in the UK is great, I feel for fans in Australia, South America,  South Africa, NZ and the far east. We can get selfish in Europe and the USA. I'd be happy for them to tour there first - even with the Joshua Tree to give our brothers and sisters there a chance to see the band.

I appreciate the changing Political climate and relevance of the Joshua Tree. In my mind that album is firmly set in the late 80s - I listen to it to remind me of that era. If the songs have relevance again, then pull them into the SOE shows - don't re-invent something you have done perfectly. 

Having said all this, I will be eagerly using my presales code like everyone else!

Edited by Amrit, 10 January 2017 - 10:25 PM.

#11 fever

fever

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 58 posts
  • LocationManitoba, Canada

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:43 AM

Look. Everyone has their own favorite U2 era. I agree that a Pop re-issue or even re-invention would be incredible, but let's be real: The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are by far their biggest albums. By far. Not even close. The casual music fan who might like U2 somewhat will know songs from those albums. A lot of casual fans didn't care for Pop. Case in point - for the first time in their career (save the very early days of the band), U2 had trouble selling out Popmart shows. The masses want the JT/AB stuff, and that's what sells out stadiums. It really only makes sense that if they do a retrospective tour, it is JT.

#12 Grande 3:16

Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 403 posts
  • LocationWhere The Streets Have No Name (Perth, Western Australia)

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:29 AM

Whilst being in the UK is great, I feel for fans in Australia, South America, South Africa, NZ and the far east. We can get selfish in Europe and the USA. I'd be happy for them to tour there first - even with the Joshua Tree to give our brothers and sisters there a chance to see the band.

With the album's connection to NZ you'd think they'd be included.

Maybe they'll add more dates later, after the European dates it's pretty much near the end of footy season and before the start of cricket season so it would be the perfect time. Personally I'd prefer TJT over I&E if I had the choice.

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#13 johnbrewer

johnbrewer

Babyface ✪✪

• 44 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:47 AM

wonder if Paul thinks this heritage tour is a good idea? wonder if he would have pushed for finishing some music that has been mentioned for what is turning into years now

#14 badsilver

badsilver

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,660 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:12 AM

*skips by singing...

There's a Tour Coming!

There's a Tour Coming!!

:rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

and I skip by singing...."play Bad....play Bad...." haha

#15 joshthetree

joshthetree

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,254 posts
  • LocationFrackpool

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:10 AM

I'm of course excited for U2 to be doing something this year but I'm rather bummed by what it is they intend to do, even if it's the Joshua Tree. While I completely get it from a commercial standpoint (JT was HUGE) I was really hoping for some kind of POP retrospective - maybe actually "finishing" the album. I feel like the sounds and the imagery actually fit better today than it did back in 1997. It bums me out that when U2 gets backward looking (which they claim they never do) they seem to gloss over everything from 1993-1997. That was my favorite period! And they already did something with the Joshua Tree.

On top of that, how is this going to coincide with the release/promotion of SOE? Are they not doing a tour in support of that? I'm really confused.

I would have liked SOE and dont really believe the JT30 hype -inc. the rushed look and feel to the tour publicity flyer, video, etc.

My view I think JT is being used to create interest in the band to sell SOE off the back of - As there was a risk that SOE would be lost in the noise of the current throw away Pop culture because SOE wasnt completed in the originally announced time frame. I may be wrong but thats what the cynic in me says. That said looking forward to seeing a show or two of the JT30.

But totally agree we need more Pop, U2's greatest album and tour in my view .... love it Remaster .... Please!

I want to say this in a nice way and hope it comes out as such ... U2 spend more time in the studio making music instead of instagraming your holiday snaps.

.... dont believe the hype ....

Edited by joshthetree, 14 January 2017 - 08:36 AM.

fact is fiction and TV reality

#16 joshthetree

joshthetree

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,254 posts
  • LocationFrackpool

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:39 AM

Has the I+E tour finished?
fact is fiction and TV reality

#17 Amrit

Amrit

Numb ✪

• 15 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

I would have liked SOE and dont really believe the JT30 hype -inc. the rushed look and feel to the tour publicity flyer, video, etc.

My view I think JT is being used to create interest in the band to sell SOE off the back of - As there was a risk that SOE would be lost in the noise of the current throw away Pop culture because SOE wasnt completed in the originally announced time frame. I may be wrong but thats what the cynic in me says. That said looking forward to seeing a show or two of the JT30.

But totally agree we need more Pop, U2's greatest album and tour in my view .... love it Remaster .... Please!

I want to say this in a nice way and hope it comes out as such ... U2 spend more time in the studio making music instead of instagraming your holiday snaps.

.... dont believe the hype ....

+1

They should have focused on SOE - putting this JT tour out will be commercially a success, but creatively it is going BACKWARD. It is an unclear message from a band that once  proud itself on reinventing and being innovative. Perhaps a limited small scale JT reboot would have been good rather than slap it into the middle of SOI and SOE.

JT30 isn't a surprise -  everyone knew it would be 30 years in 2017. Yes the changing political landscape is impacting the world but really? Is that why U2 thought it would be great to tour with it again in 2017?

I often find fans go wild at the slightest mention of any tour. Yes it is good to see the band in person but we really need to be more critical (some are which is good) because that is what drives them to do BETTER. I agree with the poster above that is is to make £, meet commercial obligations and generate interest. 

No doubt it will be a good tour and we will all be raving about hearing the songs again. I would give up seeing them on the JT30 tour if they spent that time in the STUDIO making SOE  their greatest creative work - something to surpass the JT. To me that is the mark of greatness - not looking back at what you did before.

Perhaps I am a middle aged grumpy man! However, I still want to feel the way I did when hear JT, Acthung Baby for the first times. Blown away by something that is lights years ahead of whatever else was around at the time. U2 need to do that with SOE. 

Edited by Amrit, 14 January 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#18 mich40

mich40

Rattle and Hum ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 12,571 posts
  • LocationOff in LaLa Land

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

I'm just going to leave this here.  This was on Sub gift "Medium, Rare and Unreleased" several years ago.  It's originally from the Joshua Tree recording sessions.  Notice the name.  I think this has been thought about for a while.

Posted Image

#19 yardie

yardie

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,871 posts
  • LocationCo.Antrim, Northern Ireland

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:14 AM

Crackin' Mich. I remember that. Just thinking how that as an intro would lead so stunningly into 'Streets' as song No.1 on the tour. :)

#20 peterdiaz

peterdiaz

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 368 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:05 AM

The promo photo being used was (allegedly) shot in 2015. Unless they were just goofing around that day and said "Hey, let's recreate the JT cover for kicks" I am also skeptical that this tour was just thrown together as a result of Trump's election.

But I don't care: gonna see U2 again this year!