Photo

I would love them to OPEN with 'Streets' ! (MERGED)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 yardie

yardie

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,871 posts
  • LocationCo.Antrim, Northern Ireland

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:37 AM

Just that sequence - those opening chimes - just once more! ;)

#2 U2FanInVT

U2FanInVT

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 185 posts
  • LocationVermont (USA)

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:39 AM

I agree, but then I feel like they would need to play it again later!  It is my favorite live song for sure, and to have it done first...would leave me wanting more!

#3 kwaite

kwaite

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 259 posts
  • LocationThe CLE

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:32 AM

I think they will start with some Boy/War, let the sun set, and then Streets and JT, encore post JT.

#4 david_james

david_james

Numb ✪

• 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

It would a great start especially if they extended the intro chords before coming on. Would make an awesome show opening, but as others have said, it might be a case of blowing the most powerful moment too soon in the set?

#5 dwenn

dwenn

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 125 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

I'll just put an end to this debate now for you all.  Show starts with The Ocean, I Will Follow, Vertigo, The Unforgettable Fire, MLK and then JT.

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Numb ✪

• 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

Edge has stated they will play the album in sequence, but probably wont start the show with it, cause u want to build up to the streets.

I figure they will start with other songs, and then halfway through, play JT,  and finish with an encore (or 2).

Then again, nothing is set in stone with U2 and opening with Streets would be epic and immediately shifting the show into 5th gear.

#7 mikegibson

mikegibson

Numb ✪

• 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

I agree, but then I feel like they would need to play it again later!  It is my favorite live song for sure, and to have it done first...would leave me wanting more!

It's a shame they don't have many other hits to close out a show..  :lol:

#8 yardie

yardie

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,871 posts
  • LocationCo.Antrim, Northern Ireland

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

I just reflect back to Croker 87, my first gig - the place fell apart when the band opened with Streets - yes, different times I accept. I think the crowd reaction would be immense if you just heard that opening orchestral chord sequence as the flood (house)lights went out!

I mean if the band are going retro - they might as well do it right!

Whilst even Adam has hinted on RTE radio what Edge said about Streets being a late in show tune - that's more in sync with them having previously been touring new album material also, which always has taken mostly the early slots in a gig. However, we now know they've pushed 'Experience' back until this is over - so maybe they should re-think where Streets fits.

I'm campaigning for slot No.1!

Think about it, think about standing there, think about like it was the first time you saw that clip from Rattle n Hum , when it went into colour at Sun Devils, unless you were actually at Sun Devils. Think about that 'World in Action' documentary that shows us when we were younger at Croke Park! 

It just feels right and you know it makes sense. :)

#9 U2LAWoman

U2LAWoman

Lemon ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 8,863 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

Agree, it does make sense to play Streets in the beginning...but I was also thinking for the US shows at least. Why not 'In God's Country' think of the beginning guitar Edge licks and what that will sound like. It could fit better for the last song as well..and really...I keep thinking what they can do with the visuals, it's going to blow us all away. Remember what they did with the visuals of the Joshua Tree in the desert and that big drum with the holes poked..lol More to come...I believe. I was at the LA Sports Arena where it was so small and to hear and see the Joshua Tree in another visual perspective is going to kick a*s!!

It would make great sense to me as well and like another fan said. Play it at the beginning and throw it as a snippet at the end with another song.

#10 ryangates

ryangates

Numb ✪

• 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:10 AM

I think it would be great if they took it back to the original JT tour, and opened with Streets and the red lit background. I bet people would go nuts. I'm split on whether or not I care if they play the whole album in sequence or not. On a smaller scale, I saw Jenny Lewis do this with her Rabbit Fur Coat anniversary tour, where she opened with the entire album in sequence, took a quick intermission, then did a second set of all different material. It was an amazing show, and the concept really worked well for her.

Edited by ryangates, 11 January 2017 - 06:13 AM.

#11 Heather S

Heather S

Babyface ✪✪

• 49 posts
  • LocationWiltshire, UK

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

Yes for sure it would be wonderful but as others have said, they would have to play it again! It is by far my favourite live song and I just can't wait for it! My first time at U2 was Joshua Tree in Wembley at 17 years old and I am so excited already!

#12 Mel_Villegas

Mel_Villegas

Numb ✪

• 6 posts
  • LocationEcuador 🇪🇨

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

I would like too... starting with streets.. woow!

#13 FaithHope&U2

FaithHope&U2

Numb ✪

• 17 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON, Canada

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

Love this discussion - if not only for the chance to relive what it was like seeing The Joshua Tree back in the day! :)

I'll never forget seeing them in Toronto's Exhibition Stadium (long since torn down) and that long instrumental build-up to Streets. Thrills and goosebumps still thinking about it! Then Edge's guitar strumming, lights kicking in and the drop of the banner behind the stage. Wow. Amazing!

Not sure how they will do it this time, but I'm so glad for the musical journey through all these years and that I'll be there again to experience it now, 30 years later. Stellar times ahead!

Cheers folks!

#14 adrnik

adrnik

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 141 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

Not sure if this helps folks?

http://www.rollingst...e-tour-w459473 

#15 tonyvenn

tonyvenn

Numb ✪

• 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

Hello all...

My first post actually.

I'm a big Rush fan...and in 2011, they did the same thing...30th Ann of "Moving Pictures".

I'm guessing U2 will do TWO sets....

First set--45 mins

Break

Second set--Joshua Tree

Encores

***I think this will be the way it goes*** It allows for the big, huge, Streets cathedral organ buildup, and will get everyone pumped for set 2

----OR-----

First set, that ends with Side One of JT

Break

Second set, beggining with Side Two of JT....few more songs, then encore....

Tony

Edited by tonyvenn, 11 January 2017 - 07:50 PM.

#16 lukylsp

lukylsp

Babyface ✪✪

• 41 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

Would love for them to open with Streets, red lighting and all and just go right into it (50 minutes). Second half of the show would be songs from Rattle and Hum and then all of the hits people come to expect U2 to play live.

1987 Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Joshua Tree Tour, 1992 Sam Boyd Stadium Las Vegas ZOO TV Tour, 1997 Sam Boyd Stadium Las Vegas POP Mart Tour, 2001 Arrowhead Pond/Staples Center Los Angeles Elevation Tour, 2005 San Diego Ipayone Center Vertigo Tour, 2005 Arrowhead Pond/Staples Center Los Angeles Vertigo Tour, 2009 Rose Bowl Los Angeles 360 Tour, 2011 Angel Stadium Anaheim 360 Tour, 2015 The Forum x3 Los Angeles  i+e Tour, 2015 The Roxy Theatre Los Angeles i+e Tour, 3Arena Dublin Ireland 11/28 (night 4) i+e Tour

#17 ryangates

ryangates

Numb ✪

• 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:54 PM

I don't get the obsession with saving Streets for the end of the show, it's not like it's the only epic awesome song they ever did.

#18 joshthetree

joshthetree

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,254 posts
  • LocationFrackpool

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:58 PM

Id really like walk on to John Lennon 'stand be me'finished by Bono,followed by Cmon Everybody and do the walk on in red for the encore.

Need to here the Waterboys Whole of the Moon just before they appear
fact is fiction and TV reality

#19 IceMan1

IceMan1

Numb ✪

• 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

Agree with another poster..they don't end with Streets..they haven't that I am aware of (main set maybe) perhaps ever...

They will do JT in full and in order is my guess. That is how EVERY SINGLE BAND does it when stuff is played in full.  When I saw the Cult do Love it was in order..so yeah we got She Sells Sanctuary "earlier" in the set..  When I saw Slint do Spiderland in full..same thing.  DOn't break it up..that is silly.   Pearl Jam did 10 in full (in order) as well as a few others.  Keep it in order. 

So as the poster above noted much like Rush expect

JT to either open the show

break

Best of stuff

or

Random Best of..
break

JT

I am going to go w/JT being the start.  The run time for JTree is UNDER 60 min (actually a hair over 50).  Figure with chatter you are going to get a 60 minute JT set, 5 minute "break" and then maybe another 60 of "other stuff".  I love em too, but think.  Marathon sets is something I've never seen U2 do.

According to U2Gigs site:
On two occasions at the end of the 360° Tour, U2 played 26 songs, namely on 20 July 2011 in East Rutherford and 30 July 2011 in Moncton. They also played 26 songs on 27 June 2005 in Dublin on the Vertigo Tour, although as An Cat Dubh and Into The Heart are basically two parts of an essentially inseparable whole, some people may only count that set as having 25 songs. A couple of other setlists have been bumped up to 26 thanks to Bono leading the audience in singing Happy Birthday.

So..a Spingsteen'esque setlist shouldn't be expected.  JT tree is 11 tunes already.  You are gonna get Pride and Sunday..Bad in some cities, 

Breathe friends..its going to rule regardless.

#20 jadmix

jadmix

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 247 posts
  • LocationNorthside

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:20 PM

I don't care what they open with, as long as I am there.