Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Record delay because of Trump?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#21 Sigma957

Sigma957

Night and Day ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 1,661 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:56 AM

U2 relevant? Not in the least. At the end of the day they're musicians and nothing more. Relevance goes out the window when you start siding with politicians that you cannot vote for.

I'll bet you that if U2 lost their funding from this multi album deal they'd be putting out that album stat. They need to be in an uncomfortable financial place again. You hear that guys? You need to remember the music comes first.

I know so many more dedicated (and talented) bands that don't make excuses for why an album isn't out or won't be.

#22 voicefromdc

voicefromdc

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 191 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:44 AM

*Applauds Manohlive's comment*

#23 voicefromdc

voicefromdc

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 191 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:47 AM

The world has known very well for decades what U2 is like. When people buy a ticket to U2, they have no reason to expect anything other than what U2 is. To get a ticket to that & then complain that U2 is being U2 - it's kind of like getting a ticket to a zoo & then complaining that you only went to see the elephants & giraffes & you don't know why you have to see the polar bears, too.

*likes this post very much too!*

#24 voicefromdc

voicefromdc

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 191 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:53 AM

I'm with you, Alma.

Let us also not forget that the UK, US and soon-to-hold-election countries in Europe

are all being targeted by Russian (and others') disinformation Psy-ops.  

The electorates have been tainted.  I don't consider this a "free and fair" election.

There are legitimate concerns, now, as a result of where the country went under Obama.

The country still would have voted Republican this time, I think.  

But it would not have gone for Trump without having been manipulated by adversaries. 

We are so far away from any sort of "center" in this country, and the polarization is getting worse. 

Very very Dangerous.

Our Democracy really is under active attack and threats...

Not to worry.  

We will prevail.

Edited by voicefromdc, 19 January 2017 - 02:41 PM.

#25 peterferris8

peterferris8

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,679 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

This is what happens when people read a headline and not a full article.

U2 gigs: The O2 Arena, London, 25/10/15 & 03/11/15 Night 1 - The Miracle

#26 voicefromdc

voicefromdc

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 191 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

Are you responding to me, Peter?

#27 peterferris8

peterferris8

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,679 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

Are you responding to me, Peter?

No, not to you at all! I'm responding to all the people who saw the headline 'U2 delay album because of Trump' (or something along those lines) and then didn't bother to read the full article. It's also an issue created by the media and clickbait journalism, a whole multitude of things. I completely agree with you, a Trump presidency could be bad news for everyone!

U2 gigs: The O2 Arena, London, 25/10/15 & 03/11/15 Night 1 - The Miracle

#28 voicefromdc

voicefromdc

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 191 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

I get so tired of haters.

Thanks Peter!

Edited by voicefromdc, 19 January 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#29 Manohlive

Manohlive

Blue Room ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 818 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:44 AM

It's not true unfortunately that "it was a democratic election" & "democracy played out."

This was the 1st national election in 50 yrs w/out the full protection of the Voting Rights Act (VRA) that Martin Luther King Jr & others died to achieve. Because of the Civil Rights Movement, the tricks used to stop blacks from voting were outlawed. The VRA required states that were historically oppressive & abusive to blacks to get federal permission after that before making changes to their voting laws.

When we got a black President, some argued that America no longer had enough racism to make the VRA necessary. They got the VRA protections relaxed. As soon as that happened, southern states went back to their old shenanigans - and some new ones - to take away the voting rights of blacks, other minorities, & the poor. This time, a couple of 'heartland' states did also. A couple of northeastern states engaged in shenanigans also. For ex, Ohio fought in court before the election for the 'right' to keep the audit (honesty) function turned *off* on voting machines! They were allowed to.

What the voting-rights-abusive states had in common: Republican control. What those who had their voting rights denied to them had in common: they belong to 'groups' that tend to vote Democrat. One poli sci professor estimates at least 1 million Americans were denied their voting rights, & it's estimated that probably 3 million were. Add that to the almost 3 million more votes Hillary got than Trump: it's about 6 million.

Add to that the pro-Trump election-process hacking activity that people say Trump encouraged, & which 17 American intelligence agencies said Russia's Kremlin was behind. 

Add to that the anti-Hillary, unprecedented interference in the election-process by the FBI director, which wound up, as usual, being only a witch-hunt against her.

Etc.

This was *not* a legitimate election. Trump is an illegitimate 'President Elect.' And w/Trump being dismissive of his own country's intelligence agencies while praising our enemy - Russia's former-KGB dictator - it's why people are calling him Treasonous Trump.

Thank You!  I could not agree more and what you say is pretty much factual.  I do not see him lasting four years and I'm not bitching about Trump.  I'm bitching about what he stands for because it is not America.  It is exaggerated truth at best.  It is dangerous and makes me want to sell everything I own and move to Trastevere in Rome but I would not have enough money.  I need to stop going to concerts.  lol

How could anyone who knows U2 expect them not to address this election?  It would not be U2.  Should they stop with the religious imagery as well? 

I'm not criticizing.  I am going to give Trump a chance but he's already failing miserably.  He pissed off China, dismissed Mexico, took a pop shot at Angela Merkel the other day and it just continues.  He's our president...elect; but he acts like a child who's going to take his ball and go home.  They aren't going to live in the White House so every person who lives in New York has to have how much more time added to their day to just go home?  It just keeps going.  When is he going to stop Tweeting?

I'm giving him a chance but he fails every single time.  Most of the people who voted for him are going to want him gone within two years.  I give him three and he's impeached or worse.  What happens then?  Does he care?  I doubt it.  I think Bono cares more than he does.  Like it or not he won but it was a protest vote.  Nothing more.  I did not want either of them. The only thing Trump is good at is turning his last name into a verb.  I've got a few more hours of being able to say I love both my President and my Pope. It is the first time in my life I can do so. I hope I can say that again soon because I feel numb.

Edited by Manohlive, 20 January 2017 - 01:46 AM.

#30 danny37

danny37

Numb ✪

• 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:56 AM

u2 are using trump as a excuse they would rather sell people the old stuff than bring out new material what was it bono said if U2 dont have a new album or new songs they will not tour he didnt want U2 to turn into a greatest hits band and here we are joshua tree 2017 what a joke its all about money now its hard to make ends meat when your down to your last 600 million

Edited by danny37, 27 January 2017 - 10:59 AM.

#31 voicefromdc

voicefromdc

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 191 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

u2 are using trump as a excuse they would rather sell people the old stuff than bring out new material what was it bono said if U2 dont have a new album or new songs they will not tour he didnt want U2 to turn into a greatest hits band and here we are joshua tree 2017 what a joke its all about money now its hard to make ends meat when your down to your last 600 million

Man, I think if I were these guys, especially Bono, I would take my money and my good life and go off and enjoy it while it is still possible to do so, and tell the rest of us to screw off (maybe he would stick with the justice development work, though.  Nobody who is benefitting from that is complaining!)  I would perfectly understand were he to make such a decision and am surprised he has not already put a finger in our faces.

They don't owe us anything.  They have already given so much for so long and it seems to me that the haters are just growing in number as the years pass.  The whole world is growing uglier now, but the first place in my life that I ever encountered true ugliness (outside of dictatorial regimes), was on this board years ago.  And, it took all of two days of my coming back here this time before I started having trouble with snide hackers again.  

What is wrong with you guys? If you don't like their choices, why not just ignore them and go hear some other band?

I personally am SO GRATEFUL for the JT Tour.  I hope I will be able to go.  

I think it is a lovely thought, and maybe the best they can do to try and help out spiritually  

in a world that is going to shit.

Edited by voicefromdc, 27 January 2017 - 05:00 PM.

#32 voicefromdc

voicefromdc

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 191 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:57 PM

...cont...

You know, these guys get to live, largely, above and outside the fray of all this other crap the rest of us have to deal with. I don't envy them their position, and I think they earned it.  I am just sorry I don't have the same option to escape and find a little relief!

They could have turned away from the world at any point.

They no longer need to be engaging with us "for money."

Once one has what they have, one will always be able to generate revenue.  So they don't need to screw us for funds.

I am sure they keep playing music and launching tours because it is fun for them.  

Once it is no longer fun, I imagine they will stop.

I am not going to be frightened for them as they take this tour into Trumpland; that would be silly of me.

But I do feel so bad for them having to face this.

Enjoy this tour. Maybe it will be the last.

It might be the last good thing that happens to us.

I would not be surprised. 

Edited by voicefromdc, 27 January 2017 - 05:51 PM.

#33 voicefromdc

voicefromdc

Wanderer ✪✪✪✪

• 191 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:29 PM

...cont...

...you've gotten me going now...

You know, I didn't hear anything about u2 in five years.

I didn't even know they had released the (wonderful) Songs album and staged a tour.

I was too busy trying to extricate myself from the cruelty and criminality that ensued the last time I hung out around here, and was fruitlessly trying to do anything I possibly could to warn folks in DC against this disaster

that is Trump (which was in the works for some time, despite people's total and arrogant oblivion to it).

Obviously, I was completely ineffectual in these efforts.  

Really, what can one person do in the face of so much political fanaticism and hatred anyway?

(And that holds true for the both the political Left and Right in this country, neither of which I respect or ascribe to). 

But when the election happened and the global turn toward disaster became so obvious and unstoppable,

the very first and only thing I thought of was Bono and their work.

Really.  It was the only thing I could think of that brought any solace at all.

I realize that is ridiculous.  But it is true.

So, again, if you don't like their tour, if you don't like what they have to say,

why not just ignore them?  I promise, it is perfectly possible to occupy a part of the world

in which U2 does not penetrate at all.

Unfortunately, this does not hold true for the effects of Trump. 

How vile it is for people to demand they "shut up" with their political commentary and just play music,

when the poison that has been unleashed seeps into every pore of the globe.

How Fascist a demand, and how unsurprising given the quarters from which it emanates.

Yes, Americans might be long-overdue for a full-fledged U2 finger in the face.

I almost hope they flash it.

I barely feel like we deserve them.

Edited by voicefromdc, 27 January 2017 - 05:33 PM.