Photo
- - - - -

U2- Can you make your ticket prices any higher?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 gertrude13

gertrude13

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

Stop this nonsense with these high ticket prices!!!! We (your fans) have been supporting you for years! Give us working people a break!!!!

#2 in the shadows

in the shadows

Babyface ✪✪

• 47 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

no.

#3 Manohlive

Manohlive

Blue Room ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 818 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:46 AM

This is the going rate for many major acts these days.  If you must blame, do so with scalpers; secondary ticket agencies; (Ticket King, Vivid Seats, etc.) corporations that buy numerous amounts of seats and give them out to many who don't even care if they are at the show but got comps and went anyhow.

Petition your representatives to shut down all the businesses which buy up seats and resell them at a huge profit.

Coldplay is $225 at Soldier Field.  The Rolling Stones at Summerfest were $500.  Lady Gaga was $300.  Barbra Streisand was $500.  I can keep going.  I share your irritation but it's not the band that set these prices.  It's the promoter.

Edited by Manohlive, 12 January 2017 - 12:47 AM.

#4 robert_payne

robert_payne

Numb ✪

• 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:25 AM

While I understand why ticket prices get to what they are, I do think that bands like u2 could do more you ensure genuine fans have a chance to get them. For instance tickets for the Joshua Tree tour. I ..like many other fans...have never been able to see U2 live and a main reason is that like now we are expected to find the money for tickets at a moments notice. I mean...come on...has nobody there realised...or even considered...that for people now monthly pay there have been no pay days since Christmas!!!. It's no wonder the touts get all the tickets and us genuine fans miss out yet again. Then again...does anyone on the promotion side of things really care as long as the money that they set out to get rolls in again. Love U2....but gutted about the fact that they are just another part of this corporate wheel and that they've lost touch with their fans normal life situations. Yes....The Joshua Tree album is very relevant to life today....but unfortunately the band seem to be a part of the fat cats corporation.

#5 shack1

shack1

Numb ✪

• 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

They always previously made a point about keeping prices low. Even on the 360 tour they kept the majority of tickets at a reasonable level.

I think the lack of record sales has now blown sensible pricing apart as very little can be gained from album sales nowadays so bands have to squeeze more from their live audience to make up the shortfall.

What made me laugh (or not) today was that Twickenham UK prices are higher in £ GBP than equivalent tickets in € Euro !  Unbelievable - There's the exchange rate differential and then VAT is 23% in IE and 20% in UK !!

Edited by shack1, 12 January 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#6 peterferris8

peterferris8

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 3,679 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

This isn't just a U2 thing, it's a thing for pretty much all live music. Think this is bad? Look at how much Guns N' Roses are charging for their London gigs this summer.

Edited by peterferris8, 12 January 2017 - 03:46 PM.

U2 gigs: The O2 Arena, London, 25/10/15 & 03/11/15 Night 1 - The Miracle

#7 toyoracer

toyoracer

Achtung Baby ✪✪✪

• 69 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:15 AM

GA has increased. Before fees, it was between $50-60 on previous tours. Now, it's $70. Maybe that's just inflation, but it still makes me have to adjust my budget when the shows popped up.

#8 monica martino

monica martino

Lemon ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 6,002 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:27 AM

I have ga tickets to both €and £venues and at the end the difference is only a few euro

They still keep prices low compared to others and with a wide range of options including no silly differences on Ga.

Just to name one... Phil Collins @ Aviva in Dublin even if the highest price is 144euro the lowest is 89.50!!!

Then you have fees commissions shipping.... <------these could be much lower

Edited by monica martino, 15 January 2017 - 07:28 AM.

#9 Alpena

Alpena

Numb ✪

• 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:12 AM

Check out mod edit - link removed - no links to reseller sites please  I purchased tickets through there for SOI.  They were seats in the nosebleed section, but I had a blast.  The crowd was very much into it even in the "elevated" areas.  If they hadn't been, I would have gotten them going anyway!

Shine23

#10 denisegreenstein

denisegreenstein

Numb ✪

• 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:13 PM

I can't believe that U2 only cares about profit. I've been a fan since writing reviews for Propaganda magazine and because I couldn't afford the membership for the last 2 years I got thrown into the dogshit fan club Wires. When presale opened for us low life WIRES fans in Miami the ONLY Tix Available were packages starting at $280 plus. WTF? I could not believe it. 6 hours after the start of wires presale they released the actual Tix sale and I paid $400 for 2 shit seats as a fan fanclub member!! Even Ticketmasters worker verified NO Tix were on sale, only packages! I'm furious and disgusted that U2 only cares about fans who pay $$$ to be fans! All other artists give their fans presale for free!! WTF U2??? You should be ashamed of yourself treating fans like cash whores. After 30 yrs of never missing a show I will never ever pay to be your fan again!!

#11 John908

John908

Numb ✪

• 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:16 AM

i totally share your view after paying 380 quid today for london 2 its shocking and yes it is our choice to pay it or not but we do because we love the experience of u2 live i have tickets for depeche mode in june london 80 pound for gold circle tickets the seats werent any more expensive they way a stadium should be priced for a gig and to quote bono thanks for giving us a great life well u have the great life maybe its time to maybe ease off on the prices and also no glasgow gig u2 have never really missed a glasgow date from the 1980s again bono quotes the scottish connection is like playing there second home well not this time bit dissapointed in the band recently as painful as it is to say i think this will be my last venture between my ga for saturday and my seats for sunday hotel travel etc etc a thousand pound weekend is just madness but probably like many other people the lure of that live experience takes over without thinking its just a case of i need to get tickets well for me maybe not the next time..

#12 gregmorris7

gregmorris7

Numb ✪

• 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

Completely agree.  I think its disingenuous to explain high prices charged by U2 as simply the going rate for major acts these days and to suggest market price and scalpers and secondary ticket agencies are the main drivers of their pricing.  U2 ultimately have the final say over pricing and could absolutely do more to address these high prices (and also to address the unscrupulous resale of their tickets on reseller sites at vastly inflated prices). Obviously they can't please everyone all the time and there will always be people who can get the tickets they want at the price they want for the venue they want, but I do think U2 could do more here.  Take a look at Prince when he toured 3121 and priced all tickets at £31.21 or when he last toured the UK and announced shows on the day of the show, priced at £10 and it was just first come first served for tickets. To be fair he got some stick for that with people moaning that they couldn't take a day off work just to queue for a prince concert, but it definitely beat the scalpers.  Having bought tickets for Guns & Roses this year I completely agree that they are just taking the opportunity to rinse their fans of cash while they tour, before imploding again - but I'm prepared to pay for as a one off for the nostalgia of it.  I have been to many U2 shows over the years and have gone through the all too familiar presale pain (and occasional joy) many times.  With the benefit that experience it does seem to me that U2 do care about their fans and want to acknowledge fans support through allowing early access to concerts through presales that are staggered to allow long term fans the earliest access, then more recent subscribers and then opening sales to the general public.  That system, while throwing up some unfair results for individuals, is at least on the face of it a fair approach.  But its all a little corporate and simplistic.  I think the I&E tour, generally got it right - with the pricing, the stage lay out and the innovative use of the screens meaning that generally most fans got a great experience at a fair price at most venues.  But given their vast wealth what I'd like to see is them really push the boat out and do something innovative.  Why not put on some free concerts and use the database of U2.com and other websites to select and invite fans randomly?  They did a similar thing in the build up to the Elevation tour, with free tickets for warm up shows for competition winners.  Or do as the Stones Roses did and announce some small shows with tickets sold only to those who turn up in person with one of their records or some memorabilia.   Do that a few times in a few locations and it would help foster a sense that they are still a band of their fans and not just a corporate machine.  It would also generate a far bigger buzz and more positive press than foisting a new album on anyone with an Itunes account whether they want it or not... 

Sorry for the essay ;-)

#13 mcbain1

mcbain1

Numb ✪

• 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:07 AM

Here is my take on the whole topic. I have been a fan and a Fan Club member for years. U2 tickets are some of the hardest tickets to get and for that reason I have kept my membership up to date. Buying tickets to their shows can be a headache from the time they announce a tour to
the time Pre-Sale or General Public tickets go on sale. Believe me I have been through this as far back as I can remember. So here is what I recommend. The Membership cost's me 40 USD a year. How much do you spend a year on aspirin or pain reliever, probably more right? Keep your Membership up to date and when the next tour comes up you will not have all these headaches! I received an email announcing this tour, I received my Pre-Sale Code, I logged on at the time specified and bought my allotment of 4 tickets right next to the stage. It took all but 10 minutes. Oh yeah, I did it from the middle of the Iraqi desert while deployed! No headache! Stop blaming the Band!

#14 Grande 3:16

Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 403 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

How much do you spend a year on aspirin or pain reliever, probably more right? Keep your Membership up to date and when the next tour comes up you will not have all these headaches!

LOL! Great analogy! :D

When I get take out dinner for my family, it's generally around $40. Filling up my car is around $60 - $70, and I have to do that every fortnight. But $1 a week to be a U2 fan club member and keep your place in the queue (and score a CD every now and then) is apparently a rip off!

Edited by Grande 3:16, 25 January 2017 - 01:53 PM.

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#15 Kristaps

Kristaps

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 4,196 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:38 PM

But $1 a week to be a U2 fan club member and keep your place in the queue (and score a CD every now and then) is apparently a rip off!

I've been a U2 fan since 1954! I shouldn't be paying to be a U2 fan! 

Is this where I post which shows I've attended?U2360: Dublin 1&2, Frankfurt, Helsinki 1&2, Rome | I+E : Berlin 1&2 | TJT'17: Brussels

#16 u2rone

u2rone

Ultraviolet ✪✪✪✪✪

• 252 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

The only thing I blame on U2 is for using Ticketbastard for selling their tickets!!! I have been in the fan club for 29 years. The last few tours have been HORRIBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seems to me that U2 could come up with their own ticketing system so that the fan club members could actually get good tix. I got burned on the 1st Chicago show (again). but to NO surprise Ticketbastard had tix on THEIR resale site. I was able to get 2 to the 2nd Chicago show, but OF COURSE I couldn't get red zone. But again Ticktbastard and the scalpers did. WHY IS THIS ALLOWED BY U2???????  If they can't fix this problem, then go back to the mail order system like in the days of Propaganda!!! At least then I would have a better shot at getting the tix I want, rather then u know who getting them!!!!!!! 

#17 Grande 3:16

Grande 3:16

Party Girl / Boy ✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 403 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:50 AM

But $1 a week to be a U2 fan club member and keep your place in the queue (and score a CD every now and then) is apparently a rip off!

LOL! :D

Some fans liked U2 before they were famous, you liked them before they were born! :D

"There's obviously been a clear case of instrument envy and Sting and myself have four thick, long strings and he's got six girly ones." - Adam Clayton

#18 stanley14

stanley14

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 4,364 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

LOL! :D

Some fans liked U2 before they were famous, you liked them before they were born! :D

LOL  :D

"Stronger Than Fear"

#19 Kristaps

Kristaps

Atomic Bomb ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪

• 4,196 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:47 AM

The only thing I blame on U2 is for using Ticketbastard for selling their tickets!!! I have been in the fan club for 29 years. The last few tours have been HORRIBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seems to me that U2 could come up with their own ticketing system so that the fan club members could actually get good tix. I got burned on the 1st Chicago show (again). but to NO surprise Ticketbastard had tix on THEIR resale site. I was able to get 2 to the 2nd Chicago show, but OF COURSE I couldn't get red zone. But again Ticktbastard and the scalpers did. WHY IS THIS ALLOWED BY U2???????  If they can't fix this problem, then go back to the mail order system like in the days of Propaganda!!! At least then I would have a better shot at getting the tix I want, rather then u know who getting them!!!!!!! 

What other ticketing site could they have used to cover all of North American and European shows? 

Is this where I post which shows I've attended?U2360: Dublin 1&2, Frankfurt, Helsinki 1&2, Rome | I+E : Berlin 1&2 | TJT'17: Brussels

#20 MirrorballSuit

MirrorballSuit

Babyface ✪✪

• 26 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:06 PM

The Membership cost's me 40 USD a year. How much do you spend a year on aspirin or pain reliever, probably more right?

So how much have you paid in the years BETWEEN tours just for a pre-sale code? What was it, four, five years since 360 to I+E? That's $200 right there on top of the probable $80 since JUST to get a pre-sale code. So basically you have paid the price for a few GA tickets just in website subscriptions whilst the band has been on downtime. Sure a couple of the gifts have been decent - as a trade off.

Believe me U2 needs fans more than fans need U2 - I think the band have lost sight of that. Selling out to Live nation has opened the fans up to regular abuse from Live Nation, Ticketmaster and SeatWave/ViaGoGo/GetMeIn. All one big corporation and what ultimately p***es me off is there has been no comment from the band about the prices REAL fans are paying on resale sites for tickets to see THEM, even though they had pre-sale codes and paid their $40.